Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

So it's of no use practical then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Apogee wrote: »
    Frankly, there's more chance of my cat spontaneously combusting than the LNBF being overloaded.

I agree it seems unlikely on the face of it. The equivalent today might be a 2.4m dish pointed at 28.2E in middle of Ireland

1m vs 30cm is almost x10 power.
    All of Ireland is in the "Hot" part of spot beam.

You won't break it. But I'll only be sure its an "OK" idea when I have tested a Ka LNBF on the new satellite (hopefully next year) with my 110cm dish.

Also it's not just QPSK. Potentially 8PSK signals so you need a bit more linearity. Also an Ka LNB may not have the same dynamic range as a Ku LNB. We don't know what the sensible limits are.

(If you use a Mirror only 15cm you can set the cat on fire :) )

So it's of no use practical then.

I have Ku LNBs. Not LNBFs. I'd not use them for TVRO except if I was using a dish that needed a special flanged feed horn.

There will be cheap Ka LNBFs. We have 6 to 9 months to find them or for OAS to find them. There is no panic :)

watty wrote: »
    I agree it seems unlikely on the face of it. The equivalent today might be a 2.4m dish pointed at 28.2E in middle of Ireland

A 2.4M pointed at 28.2E doesn't really come near to overloading a Ku-LNBF though.
    (If you use a Mirror only 15cm you can set the cat on fire :) )

You should try posting that over on the 'Pets' forum!!! ;)

Eagle Aspen also manufacture Ka-LNBs and as a brand are usually cheap.
    http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/products_1.php?id=20

No prices that I can find though.

As it happens they also manufacture LNBFs for DirecTV, including this model which, from reading some of the specs, does both Ku and Ka (lo and hi) across 3 sats, with 4 outputs for <$50.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Slimline-3-KA-KU-Directv-lnb-DTV-SL3-HD-KAKU-SL3PIG-/330457701698?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf0d05d42

[edit] For the price, one of them would be interesting to mess about with. But difficult to figure out how LNB and band switching is implemented on them.

Forget ANYTHING for DirecTV as they use circular polarisation. Their stuff is useless on any other system :) It's very non-standard.

The eagleaspen Ka LNB is for a VSAT. The price would not be relevant to a TVRO LNBF
    Ka Band: Max Input Power Operating -70 dBm
    Interestingly they don't list a "Max Input Power Operating" on the ku LNBs for VSAT that they sell.

Please note that it was a cat related to Schrödinger's. No actual pets were harmed.

• Advertisement

Forget ANYTHING for DirecTV as they use circular polarisation. Their stuff is useless on any other system :) It's very non-standard.

Doesn't matter if the H/V TPs are not the same freqs - even if they are, taking a pliers to the feedhorn will sort it.
    Interestingly they don't list a "Max Input Power Operating" on the ku LNBs for VSAT that they sell.

Probably coz like most Ku-LNB/F manufacturers, they can't be bothered.

A bit more reading on the DirecTV LNBFs, and there is no bandswitching on Ka. It's a single LO at 18.050GHz which drops the Ka-Hi and Ka-Lo to the L- and B-bands. Switching between the different positions is done by 22KHz on/off.

Zintec also make Ka-LNBS:
    http://www.zintech.com.tw/modules/product/page.php?tbdsn=85

And then there is this piece of (expensive!) kit which covers all the way from 17.7-21.2GHz using 4x LOs.
    http://www.acorde.ru/datasheets/Ka-Band/ACLNB/ACLNB-Ka-17.7-21.2.pdf

But the DirecTV ka LNBFs have integral circular polarisation, so can't be used ever on Orthagonal Ka systems that use H or V.

Also the DirecTV set box is rather non-standard.

Yes the Zintec Ka LNB is for a VSAT or OB link, not Domestic. Nice find.

You can use an LNBF designed for CP without alteration as long as the H/V frequencies don't co-incide

I don't understand why you think LNBs are only used for VSAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Besides acorde ACLNB-Ka Standard ....

the KA LNB S3 (19.7-20.2 GHz for the downlink) http://www.elsov.ru/products/texts/lnb-kae.pdf

(by the way Malwarebytes is going bananas because of where one of those photos above is being hosted)

You can use an LNBF designed for CP without alteration as long as the H/V frequencies don't co-incide

On Kasat the spots do actually overlap a lot. The drawings are "intended" coverage.
    There are thus three issues with CP on Orthogonal Kasat:
    1. It will reduce the desired signal by 3dB at least
    2. There will be signal (at lower level) on 90 degree polarisation as the "frequency resuse" is minimal. This makes Eb/No worse. A lot worse BER.
    3. You pickup more background noise (small change).
    So, yes it might work, or work for a while. A very dodgy solution, no use for normal domestic use.
    I don't understand why you think LNBs are only used for VSAT?

I was simplifying. Also used for Head ends, OB links, Feeds. Stuff using big dishes. The main market is VSAT.

The DTH TVRO market is all LNBF, not LNB as it adds too much cost. Only a small number of hobbyists buy LNB and fit horn for larger dishes. A tiny market.

Again any viable domestic market solution is going to be LNBF, not a bare LNB with wave guide. Also you do know the wave guide on Ka is nearly half the width and half the height so a Ku Feed won't work properly? Easy to make a basic 4 sided horn for Ka LNB with flange. A Feed with rings as per normal Ku LNBF to focus instead of horn is much harder.

I don't want to confuse the non-technical public with equipment that is for Professional Applications and only a hobby solution for DTH TVRO.

I suspect the more arcane ka Band Technical speculation should either be on another thread here marked "Warning Will Robinson" Technical Speculations, or on a Private forum on Techtir (which I can create in an instant).

Apogee: I think we just have a different emphasis. I don't disagree with anything you have posted per-se, it's just a question of who it's for and if useful for Domestic market.

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    Besides acorde ACLNB-Ka Standard ....

the KA LNB S3 (19.7-20.2 GHz for the downlink) http://www.elsov.ru/products/texts/lnb-kae.pdf

(by the way Malwarebytes is going bananas because of where one of those photos above is being hosted)
    Nice

For people interested in Tech stuff, info not needed for ordinary user of Saorsat.

For the un-initiated that don't know what we are talking about, VSAT= Very Small Aperture Terminal.Very Small is less than 2.4m!
    Aperture means reflector, dish or horn of some kind
    Terminal means a two-way modem. Receiver and Transmitter. Not just used for Internet. The "plumbing" in the picture thus has two coax cables, a TX IF and RX IF.

Some Explanations
    Not directly related to Saorsat, but Saorsat will use a Satellite primarily intended for VSAT. (Internet by Satellite)

part of VSAT for Ku
    odu-ku.jpg

The feed or horn bolts on the left for signal focused by dish.
    The first part is an OMT. Orthmode Transducer. It separates Horizontal and Vertical polarised signals. The Receiver and Transmitter always are on opposite polarity, thus Circular is rarely used for VSAT as it's more awkward to have both on one feed. The next part on top is a Mechanical filter to allow the Receive band and block the higher Transmit band.

The small box on top is LNB that only has one fixed orthogonal polarity. The large finned box on bottom is Transmit (TX) IF up converter and a Power Amplifier (0.5W to 20W depending on system), the one shown is 2W or 4W.

To swap from TX on H and RX on V to the other polarity of TX on V and RX on H, the whole assembly is bolted on the feed at right angles. The inlet waveguide and feed horn are circular shape to work equally with both polarities. The H and V ports on the OMT are rectangular waveguides at 90 degree orientation usually. The BUC and LNB are always rectangular.

A domestic LNBF for Orthogonal (H & V) is always circular wave guide with two studs/pins to pick up H & V signals. The H or V is then selected electronically by > 17V = H and < 14V = V (typically V is 12V to 13V and H is 18V to 20V)

So, yes it might work, or work for a while. A very dodgy solution, no use for normal domestic use.

Nobody claimed it was for normal use. I said it was cheap and to "mess about with".

The DTH TVRO market is all LNBF, not LNB as it adds too much cost.

Another blanket statement. Not on C-band. When a Ka-LNBF comes along, I'll post a link to that too. In the meantime, I'd rather you didn't "interpolate" every post I make.

I don't want to confuse the non-technical public with equipment that is for Professional Applications and only a hobby solution for DTH TVRO.

So that's why you started going on about OMTs?

Apogee: I think we just have a different emphasis. I don't disagree with anything you have posted per-se, it's just a question of who it's for and if useful for Domestic market.

Who advised anyone to go out and buy a Ka-LNB?

Nobody claimed it was for normal use. I said it was cheap and to "mess about with".

Another blanket statement. Not on C-band. When a Ka-LNBF comes along, I'll post a link to that too. In the meantime, I'd rather you didn't "interpolate" every post I make.

So that's why you started going on about OMTs?

Who advised anyone to go out and buy a Ka-LNB?

C-band is not really meant for DTH. It's primarily Head ends. It needs a big dish with a matched feed. Hence LNBF is rare. Volume Domestic solutions are all LNBF.
    Calm down :)

Your links / post are fine. I'm just clarifying it's not stuff for casual user to "mess about with", nor for a real DTH Ka solution. I mentioned the VSAT stuff and OMTs etc because unusually for us the SAME satellite and receive polarity will do for Saorsat and two way Internet.

Also I mentioned it to try an clarify why the DirecTV (no VSAT on it and Circular) and Kasat are different (Primarily VSAT and orthogonal).

I think we have been a bit at cross purposes. Sorry if any offence given.

If you or anyone else want to use a bare Ka LNB I can post a design of easy to make horn feed with correct aperture for a regular dish, made by cutting and soldering 5 pieces of plain copper PCB out of Maplin. (Brass or copper sheet expensive and folding a single piece aluminium needs skill and tools).

I'm all in favour of folks doing tech stuff for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

on freesat cards ireland ,sky are not the ones who supply the viewing cards ,NDS do, so encryption would have to be paid by rte a card would cost 100 to 150 a one off payment

lgs 4 wrote: »
    on freesat cards ireland ,sky are not the ones who supply the viewing cards ,NDS do, so encryption would have to be paid by rte a card would cost 100 to 150 a one off payment

Rupurt Murdoch owns New Corporation who are in turn 49% shareholder in NDS.

Freesat Cards ?!? What ? No such thing. Freesat do not use FTV cards! Neither do they have CI slots on the majority of boxes. And if they did they would not be kept alive without being in a proprietry Sky BOX.

There isn't even a FTV card scheme any more in UK. It was only a temporary evil. The BBC never ever intended to stay on Solus Card. The "Freesat-from-sky" Card is purely a Sky funded PayTV promotion, nothing to do with the now ended FTV card scheme or Freesat. Sky of course want people to believe it is connected, but it's just a Puppy dog to open people to sky advertising and make it only a phone call to enable full Pay TV from Sky.
    (i.e. no Install needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

There isn't even a FTV card scheme any more in UK. It was only a temporary evil. The BBC never ever intended to stay on Solus Card. The "Freesat-from-sky" Card is purely a Sky funded PayTV promotion, nothing to do with the now ended FTV card scheme or Freesat. Sky of course want people to believe it is connected, but it's just a Puppy dog to open people to sky advertising and make it only a phone call to enable full Pay TV from Sky.

There is a FTV card in the UK and it's called FreeSat from Sky.
    You can not upgrade a FreeSat from Sky card. If you want a paid subscription with Sky, they send you out a new card. If you don't believe me, you can ring up Sky yourself on 00 44 8442 411 268 to find out. I just did and that's what they told me.
    (i.e. no Install needed)
    The only reason you would get a FreeSat From Sky card is that you already have the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guys what does any of this have to do with saorsat?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Guys what does any of this have to do with saorsat?

If somebody says the sky is green, when in fact the sky is blue, should that not be corrected? Even if it is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

RogerThis wrote: »
    If somebody says the sky is green, when in fact the sky is blue, should that not be corrected? Even if it is off topic.

Actually no, start a new thread (or post on the many existing threads) if you wish or send a PM. What if some one disagrees with your view and engenders yet another reply?

Please lets stick to the thread title Saorsat

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Launch date for Ka-Sat satellite is November 25 according to the French article

http://www.lepoint.fr/high-tech-internet/ka-sat-pour-les-exclus-du-numerique-05-08-2010-1222124_47.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

http://www.lepoint.fr/high-tech-internet/ka-sat-pour-les-exclus-du-numerique-05-08-2010-1222124_47.php[/QUOTE

French to English translationcleardot.gif
    The tests are completed. Still  some loose ends, like putting the antennas and Ka-Sat will be ready to  be shipped on the Baikonur cosmodrome (Kazakhstan), where it should be  launched for Eutelsat, November 25 next. Manufactured  by Astrium, a subsidiary of EADS, is dedicated to services and space  hardware, this new generation of satellites designed to provide  broadband to all those excluded from the digital airwaves are struggling  to achieve and which will never be connected to ADSL. 30 million homes in Europe. 

To  date, the general public, offering two-way satellite based on two main  broadband services: the Tooway provided by the satellite Hot Bird 6 and  Eutelsat Eurobird 3, and that of ASTRA2Connect operator SES -Astra, which manages the satellite system of the same name. These  two services (and Tooway ASTRA2Connect) are marketed by distributors  (Numeo, Sat2Way, NordNet, Viv&#233;ole) as a package, or not associated with  offers IP telephony and television. The connection kits are shipped to the customer who enjoys a hotline for the installation. 

With K-SAT, Eutelsat going into high gear. With its 80 Ka-band beams, the new satellite will allow higher speeds for a cost eight times less expensive. The same frequency can in fact be reused twenty times, thus lowering significantly the cost of the spectrum. Eutelsat,  which is about 200,000 subscribers in France, ahead respectively 10  Mbps downstream and 1024 kbps in, against 3.6 Mbps and 384 kbps now. The new service should be marketed in the first quarter of 2011. To qualify, subscribers must change current antenna.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

SAORSAT: Satellite Launchings in Kazakhstan for Make Benefit Glorious National Broadcaster of Ireland

The Proton rocket that is taking the Ka-Sat satellite has had 8 failures out of 115 launches from 1996 to present. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_(rocket)

That's a 93% success rate. (Not all launches listed, but they say it's 96% success rate overall)

Maybe that's why RTENL are very slow in releasing information. They don't have a plan b, if it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

The Proton rocket that is taking the Ka-Sat satellite has had 8 failures out of 115 launches from 1996 to present. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_(rocket)

That's a 93% success rate. (Not all launches listed, but they say it's 96% success rate overall)

Maybe that's why RTENL are very slow in releasing information. They don't have a plan b, if it fails.

Are we going to blame RTENL if the rocket fails? Jesus, these guys really get a tough time on here.

http://www.lepoint.fr/high-tech-internet/ka-sat-pour-les-exclus-du-numerique-05-08-2010-1222124_47.php

But could be as late as Jan 2011

Originally was scheduled Q3 2010, which is before Oct 2010

There was a bad year 2002 when both SES-Astra and Eutelsat lost "flagship" satellites at launch within months. We are still short of capacity because of it.
    December 11th 2002 was a black day for Arianespace. Their brand new Ariane 5 10 ton launcher made what looked like a perfect take off from Kourou in French Guiana. Less than 5 minutes later, flight V157 suffered a flight malfuncton which led to the launcher being blown up by the Range Safety Officer, and the Hotbird 7 and Stentor satellites were destroyed in the ensuing explosion.
    Via http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/hb7loss.html
    On 25th November 2002, SES Astra launched the new Astra 1K from Baikonur Spaceport in Kazakhstan. The Proton rocket launched perfectly on time, but due to a 4th stage ignition failure, 1K was left in a useless low earth orbit.
    via http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/1k.html

It's Not over till the girth challenged person of possibly female Gender makes a melodic noise.

Viasat (Tooway Service) and Eutelsat have a lot more to lose than Ireland or RTENL. Plan "B" is likely to wait a few years till an identical spot beam is available on a Ka Band Sat with frequency re-use. Astra 2D shows a "spot" of itself is not enough protection from UK viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

slegs wrote: »
    Are we going to blame RTENL if the rocket fails? Jesus, these guys really get a tough time on here.

too right slegs... I'd be delighted if everything I did had a 93%-96% success rate :D:D:D

Viasat (Tooway Service) and Eutelsat have a lot more to lose than Ireland or RTENL. Plan "B" is likely to wait a few years till an identical spot beam is available on a Ka Band Sat with frequency re-use. Astra 2D shows a "spot" of itself is not enough protection from UK viewers.

Viasat (Tooway Service) and Eutelsat have €400 million and years for hard work to lose in a one chance bet. So even 96% odds aren't the best.

RTENL have promised satellite TV in less than a year. The analogue is getting knocked off at the end of 2012. Any plan b is going to cost a lot more than €1.5 million to get the last 2% sorted by then. 1,462,296 households in Ireland by 2% is 29246 houses left without TV.

The big push on DSO will not happen with the public until Apr/May next year when both sat & dtt will exist side by side.

Roger This you are Mr Doomsday!:D

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    The big push on DSO will not happen with the public until Apr/May next year when both sat & dtt will exist side by side.

Roger This you are Mr Doomsday!:D

Say the satellite gets launched this November, and the RTE satellite transmitter is all up and running by February.
    How long will it take before they have a SaorSat certified satellite receiver, dish and lnb chosen? It will take 6 months at least?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement