Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010/2011 Season Predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

AFC Champions: Baltimore Ravens
    NFC Champions: Green Bay Packers
    Superbowl Winner: Ravens
    "Surprise" Team: Detroit Lions
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Cowboys

Off MVP: Aaron Rodgers
    Def MVP: Darrelle Revis
    Off Rookie MVP:Dez Bryant
    Def Rookie MVP: Ndamukong Suh
    "Surprise" Player: LT(Yeah thats my Jets bias coming through)
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player:

Your Own Team
    Regular season record: 11-5
    Best rookie: John Connor
    Most looking forward to seeing: Revis Christ back in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What's this raven136?

A username like yours yet you support the Jets??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

What's this raven136?

A username like yours yet you support the Jets??? :eek:

Sadly the username comes from a favourite wrestler:o

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

AFC Champions: Indianapolis Colts
    Superbowl Winner: Green Bay Packers
    "Surprise" Team: Houston Texans
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Vikings

Def MVP: Namdi Asomugha
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews
    "Surprise" Player: Terrell Owens
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player:Tim Tebow

Your Own Team (Oakland Raiders)
    Regular season record: 7-9
    Best rookie: Rolando McClain
    Most looking forward to seeing: The Lions achieving a smidgen of respectability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

AFC East: Jets
    AFC North: Bengals
    AFC South : Colts
    AFC West: Chargers
    NFC East: Cowboys
    NFC North: Packers
    NFC South: Saints
    NFC West: 49ers
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Chargers
    AFC Champions: Jets
    NFC Champions: Packers
    Super Bowl Champs: Jets
    “Surprise” Team: Redskins
    NFL MVP: Peyton Manning
    Offensive MVP: Chris Johnson
    Defensive MVP: Darrelle Revis
    “Surprise” Player: Alex Smith
    Over-hyped Player: Miles Austin
    Best Rookie: Ryan Mathews

Most looking forward to seeing: A semi decent passing offense hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hows yer guys predictions doing after the regular season has finished?

I saw Peter King reviewed his in MMQB, like most people he was half right and half terribly wrong...John Fox coach of the year :eek:

Mine:
    Hazys wrote: »
    AFC Champions: Ravens (improved from last year and they were quiet good last year) -- A lot of football still to be played, but Pats are favourite
    NFC Champions: Saints (Lost v few players in FA) -- Its a toss up between them and Falcons in terms of quality
    Superbowl Winner: Saints -- Saints are very good and could very well win it all again, but i hope the Pats ruin my prediction
    "Surprise" Team: Texans (always the sexy pick here, but theyll make the playoffs this year) -- :rolleyes:
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Jets (Superbowl isnt won in the off season, a decent team last year, only slightly better this year, 9-7 record) -- Meh, i still think the Jets are a above average team and not elite, i expect the Colts to beat them well on Saturday.

Off MVP: Peyton Manning (he'll have a decent season, but theyll give it to him anyway) -- Good man Tom!
    Def MVP: Darrelle Revis -- Nope, contact holdout hampered his chances
    Off Rookie MVP: Jahvid Best (Will get a lot of touches, if the Lions OL is decent this year he'll do well) -- Nope
    Def Rookie MVP: Rolando McClain (LBs always win) -- Nope
    "Surprise" Player: Derrick Burgess (wishful thinking from a Pats fan, he might not even make the roster!) -- He didnt make it past training camp :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:, i think suprise Patriots player would go to Rob Ninkovich. In the NFL it would be Vick.
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Jay Cutler (wont be much better than last season, despite all the "potential" he has) -- He played much better than i expected but i still dont think he's an elite caliber QB or ever will be

Your Own Team - Pats
    Regular season record: 11-5 --3 wins off, not bad i guess considering
    Best rookie: Brandon Spikes -- Above average season but nothing in comparison to what Gronkowski or McCourty had.
    Most looking forward to seeing: A much improved defense, and hopefully some pass rushing -- Defense was ok carried us to victorys in the first 4tr of the season, but it was the resurgence of an unbelievable offense after Moss' exit as good as the 16-0 team that changed our season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

spiralism wrote: »
    (1st post :D)
    AFC Champions: Baltimore Ravens - never know but i wouldn't say so
    NFC Champions: Green Bay Packers - same deal
    Superbowl Winner: Green Bay Packers- same deal again
    "Surprise" Team: Detroit Lions - tbh not far off, things have picked up in the motor city, 4 straight to end the year. Real winner of this has to be Kansas
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: would say Chicago but they're not really overhyped this year.... San Diego/Dallas would be my pick - Got myself out of a spot there and nailed my two underachiever picks... boom!

Off MVP: Chris Johnson again -Nope
    Def MVP: Troy Polamalu, if he stays fit - Nope
    Regular Season MVP : Aaron Rodgers will be more deserving but because Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning it'll go to him... again - Nope
    Off Rookie MVP: CJ Spiller - Wrong, but Chan Gailey actually giving him the ball might have helped his case
    Def Rookie MVP: Suh - certainly a contender
    "Surprise" Player: Kyle Orton - fair to say, played very well for 2/3s of the season and surprised many. slipped late on though and lost the job to Tebow, has to be vick though
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Cutler, another 20+ INT season in the pipeline for him - Nah, he did throw his fair share of them but he has worked well as a game manager in the Martz offence. Still not sold on him as elite though.

Your Own Team : Denver Broncos (seems I'm the 1st here!:D)
    Regular season record: 9-7/8-8 - Oh GOD
    Best rookie: Perrish Cox - to be fair, his performances have actually been dead solid when he has played and he looks to have potential. Not that it matters, he's probably going TO JAIL. Also, answers on a postcard for who the real most impressive bronco rookie was this year, even if it was only 3 starts...
    Most looking forward to seeing: Kyle Orton, if the preseason is anything to go by, he's looked to have improved considerably. Also interested in seeing what we'll do with Tim Tebow, if anything.- pretty fair, Orton was dead solid and Tebow has looked exciting and promising in limited playing time

Meh, mixed haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

AFC Champions: Baltimore Ravens
    Hey,quite possible for above three
    "Surprise" Team: Detroit Lions They did very well but Chiefs probably take this title
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: New York Jets, great on paper and sure they did well last year but they won't repeat it, not even close :o

Off MVP: Aaron Rodgers Nope, he did fine
    Def MVP: Patrick Willis Still an amazing player but he won't be considered
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews If he played every week like he did in Week 17, he'd be MVP. But a bad prediction from me :o
    Def Rookie MVP: Ndamakong Suh Dead cert :cool:
    "Surprise" Player: Chad Henne, one year after being made starter will have a massive season. He's not even the best QB at the Dolphins! :o
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Jay Cutler, predictable choice. Mike Martz brought in but it won't help here, not with the offensive line they have, Cutler will do badly, is over-hyped :o:o:o

Your Own Team Ravens
    Regular season record: 11-5 12-4, better then expected!
    Best rookie: Sergio Kindle, we don't have any one rookie becoming an instant starter, Kindle will do well in rotation, This waste of space? He got great support and sympathy yet fecked up yet again with another DUI incident. It's possible he'll never start in the NFL
    Most looking forward to seeing: Ravens aren't known for explosive offense but Flacco can go for over 4,000 yards this year Not quite, the Ravens ran more in 2010 then in 2009, the offensive isn't fantastic but it's good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    AFC Champions: Indianapolis Colts - Doubt it.
    NFC Champions: Minnesota Vikings(With Favre) - lol @ me, how embarrassing.
    Superbowl Winner: Indianapolis Colts - Doubt it.
    "Surprise" Team: Detroit Lions - Well I was suprised, there's a few others that deserve this title.
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Green Bay Packers - Well they didn't win the division so that's kinda underachieving..I'm trying hard to make my predictions seem less silly..

Off MVP: Payton Manning - No
    Def MVP: Darrelle Revis - No
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews - No
    Def Rookie MVP: N*mumble* Suh - Correct, and now I can spell him name :).
    "Surprise" Player: Johnny Knox(Let me have this, Bears aint doing s**t this season :D. - Suprised that he came really close to 1000. And I was wrong about us not doing s**t this year :D
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Aaron Rodgers - Wrong.

Your Own Team - Bears
    Regular season record: 7-9 - Wrong
    Best rookie: Major Wright..the only one that has a chance of playing. - He was decent but I have to give it to Corey Wooten, he ended Favre's career :).
    Most looking forward to seeing: Jay Cutler in the Mike Martz offense. It could go horribly wrong or it could be beautiful.
    Also a healthy Urlacher. Started off horrible tbh but it got better. Also great to see Urlacher healthy again.
    -

God, I'm bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

frostie500 wrote: »
    AFC Champions: Baltimore Ravens, if Ed Reed and their secondary stays fit. Otherwise I'll plump with the Jets(they are not the best team in the AFC by any stretch and will only have a 10-6 record but if they run the ball like last year they'll be tough to beat because of Rex Ryan's defence)
    NFC Champions:Green Bay Packers
    "Surprise" Team: Niners
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Vikings, they don't have the depth at WR without Rice and the Packers should be too strong to take the division

MVP: Aaron Rodgers
    Off POY: Drew Brees, its hard not to see the Saints putting up video game numbers once more
    Def POY: Revis will need to have an even better season-anything less than last year will prove a disappointment for most so I'll not choose him. Patrick Willis because the Niners are going back to the playoffs and he'll be vital for them
    Off Rookie of the year: Ryan Matthews, he will be the feature back for the Chargers so should put up good number
    Def Rookie of the year: Eric Berry or Earl Thomas(as a Longhorns fan I've gotta go with ET)
    "Surprise" Player: Stuart Bradley. Bradley looked fantastic last year before his injury and should be on form this year.
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Chris Johnston, it will prove too difficult for him to carry the ball as well this year and he'll end up with a 1400 yard season that everyone will think was a let down. That team will live and die by Vince Young this year and not CJ

Your Own Team: Philadelphia Eagles
    Regular season record: 10-6
    Best rookie: Brendan Graham will get the attention of most, and will be good, but for me the most important rookie is safety Nate Allen. He is being asked to step in as starter in a defence known for its blitzing. He's going to be exposed a lot this season and for a rookie that's a lot of responsibility so the success of our defence, and season, rests on a second rounder out of USF....
    Most looking forward to seeing: If we made the right choice to back Kolb! I think, long term and not this season, we made the right call but there will be growing pains for us this year.

I'm quite pleased with my picks, some whoppers in there....the Niners jumps straight off the page!

The Ravens are in the playoffs and Ed Reed is looking pretty ballin' right now! I thought the Jets would be 10-6 so I was only a game off with them but have no confidence in them winning the AFC now.

The Packers are in the playoffs but seem to be the most hot and cold team in memory. The Vikings debacle stood out a mile really so that isnt one to be talking too loudly about.

In terms of individual players I whiffed on all of them! Berry and Thomas were impressive though throughout the year, I just didn't think Suh would be able to jump into the pros and make as big an impact as he did at DT. Stuart Bradley had a decent year but once more was beset with injury issues.

As far as the Eagles were concerned I was right with our record but defiantly didnt see the season unfolding as it did. Pretty pleased to have picked Nate Allen as the best rookie, I think he was awesome this year

**Edit**
    Also in relation to the underachieving player I was pretty much spot on with CJ, he ended the year with less then 1400 yards rushing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

AFC Champions: Indianapolis Colts Could still happen
    NFC Champions: Green Bay Packers Could still happen
    Superbowl Winner: Green Bay Packers Could still happen
    "Surprise" Team: Oakland Raiders Bit of a surprise, swept the AFC West which I dont think anyone expected
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Minnesota Vikings Correct

Off MVP: Aaron Rodgers Nope
    Def MVP: Darrelle Revis Nope
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews Nope
    Def Rookie MVP: Ndamukong Suh Looking Good
    "Surprise" Player: Mike Williams (Buccaneers) Yup
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Larry Fitzgerald Debatable, his yardage was fine, but disappointing in number of TDs

Your Own Team
    Regular season record: 10-6 Wrong
    Best rookie: Rob Gronkowski 50/50 split with McCourty imo
    Most looking forward to seeing: A healthy Wes Welker *fingers crossed*He got there eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

jdivision wrote: »
    AFC Champions: Ravens
    NFC Champions: Green Bay
    Superbowl Winner: Green Bay
    "Surprise" Team: 49ers
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Jets
    Off MVP: Aaron Rogers
    Def MVP: Patrick Willis or LaMarr Woodley
    Off Rookie MVP: Jahvid Best, Lions
    Def Rookie MVP: Rolando McClain, maybe Brandon Graham
    "Surprise" Player: Ernie Sims, Beanie Wells
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Cutler
    Your Own Team - Lions
    Regular season record: 6-10
    Best rookie: Suh will be but Best will be more visible
    Most looking forward to seeing: us winning a few games

Well I'm happy enough with my predictions about the Lions - everything else is a "what was I thinking"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

AFC East: Jets
    AFC North: Bengals

AFC South : Colts
    AFC West: Chargers
    NFC East: Cowboys
    NFC North: Packers
    NFC South: Saints
    NFC West: 49ers
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Chargers
    AFC Champions: Jets
    NFC Champions: Packers
    Super Bowl Champs: Jets
    “Surprise” Team: Redskins
    NFL MVP: Peyton Manning
    Offensive MVP: Chris Johnson
    Defensive MVP: Darrelle Revis
    “Surprise” Player: Alex Smith
    Over-hyped Player: Miles Austin
    Best Rookie: Ryan Mathews

Most looking forward to seeing: A semi decent passing offense hopefully.

Shocking really. :pac: Revis was a horrible choice, should have realised, just like Nnamdi, that teams would more then likely avoid throwing to him and his Ints would dry up then. Pretty good with my own team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    AFC Champions: Baltimore Ravens Still Possible
    NFC Champions: Green Bay Packers Still Possible
    Superbowl Winner: Green Bay Packers Still Possible
    "Surprise" Team: Kansas City Chiefs Bang on
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: New York Jets Not in the Cowboys/Vikings league but they will be one & done in the playoffs

Off MVP: Chris Johnson No
    Def MVP: Patrick Willis No
    Off Rookie MVP: Montario Hardesty Ryan Matthews No
    Def Rookie MVP: Eric Berry No
    "Surprise" Player: Alex Smith Hell No
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Rashard Mendenhall No

Your Own Team: New England Patriots
    Regular season record: 12-4 Close enough
    Best rookie: Rob Gronkowski Turns out there was no wrong answer to this question :D
    Most looking forward to seeing: Tom Brady and the offence returning to 2007 form (and Laurence Maroney rushing for 1200+ yards :D) Brady is back, Maroney gone thankfully!!

So to summarise, I suck at individual predictions but I'm about average at team predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

DDC1990 wrote: »
    AFC Champions: NY Jets Meh we'll see, not likely.
    NFC Champions: NO Saints Meh also. Easy enough run there tho.
    Superbowl Winner: Jets see above
    "Surprise" Team: Bucs (hopefully)/Raiders :DNot bad?
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Chargers Not bad.

Off MVP: Drew Brees Nope, stand up Mr. Brady
    Def MVP: Darelle Revis Nope, stay sitting Revis
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews :eek::confused:What was I at? Mike Williams with his 11 TD's anyone, or LeGarret Blount with 1,007 yds an an avg 5yds per carry.
    Def Rookie MVP: Gerald McCoy Nope, didnt generate nearly enough sacks, but looks a good prospect. Suh on the otherhand... beast!
    "Surprise" Player: Tim Tebow (for the craic) He wasnt bad. A little surprising, but i'll give props to the boy Freeman here. Josh was super this year.
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Adrian Peterson Didn't look himself all year, with no O-Line.

Your Own Team: Bucs
    Regular season record: 7-9 Better then expected, and I thought i was being ambitious!
    Best rookie: Gerald McCoy Nope, ok, but Williams was awesome. Special mention to the 10 Rookie Starters the Bucs had during the year. Grimm, Williams and Blount really impressed.
    Most looking forward to seeing: The mixture of youth and experience this year with the Bucs. Maybe spring a few surprises. I think with the defence looking more solid, a few wins might be on the cards. Plus looking at the stats for the division, the bottom team has topped the Division the next year on a number of occasions. Why not this year? :P
    Why not? Close losses twice to Atlanta, stupid loss to Detroit... thats why :( Good year for the Bucs all things considered (13 on IR, 10 Rookie Starters, 2nd Yr QB, 39 yr Old Head Coach) Would have loved to see us play the Eagles in Philly and bring back memories of old glories. Draft another few D-Linemen and a Big Strong MLB, move Rudd and we have ourselves a team.

Revised Playoff Predictions:
    AFC: Pats
    NFC: Eagles
    Superbowl: Pats- Highscoring QB shootout. 41-34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Taking the leap :o

AFC Champions: Patriots (:P) Could still happen I guess.
    NFC Champions: Packers Same with this.
    Superbowl Winner: Packers If it's this matchup, Brady could repeat it although with Rodgers healthy, that's dangerous.
    "Surprise" Team: Falcons or Raiders? Sort of right here.
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Jets I hate the Jets, but more specifically, Rex Ryan.
    NFL MVP: Aaron Rodgers Brady should win.
    Off MVP: Aaron Rodgers Doubt it.
    Def MVP: Patrick Willis Had a poorer statistical season than last so no.
    Off Rookie MVP: CJ Spiller Nope
    Def Rookie MVP: Eric Berry Could do
    "Surprise" Player: On a whim: Bengals' WR Jordan Shipley. Had a nice season for a rookie but no one's talking about him
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Mark Sanchez maybe. Nah.

Your Own Team - Patriots
    Regular season record: 11-5 I'll gladly say I was wrong here!
    Best rookie: Devin McCourty. Although I'd like to see Spikes and Price do well. Correct with Devin. Savage player for us.
    Most looking forward to seeing: Tom Brady firing passes. Seeing Edelman do good and have Welker back to health. Lot of excitement. All of these happened and importantly, Brady played well!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

This is how I did..... :rolleyes: :D:D

AFC Champions: Texans (ehmmmm)
    NFC Champions: Cowboys(ehmmmm)
    Superbowl Winner: Cowboys(looks away)
    "Surprise" Team: Texans (surprisingly eratic)
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Chicago- Martz will help but they have a poor receiving corps and a poor O Line (Like politics- its matter of opinion- but I think I was close)

Off MVP: Aaron Rodgers (Brady deserves it and Rodgers is looking nervy in Post season.)
    Def MVP: Darelle Revis (Off Co-ord designed gameplans to avoid him so I guess it was to be expected) I hope Clay Matthews gets it. That dude is relentless)
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews(who?) ( I would go for Blount - NO one saw his season coming. Congrats to him, folks wanted to see him explode at folk and he is keeping his head down. Head Coach to thank fo rthat. Bucs look like they will be a good for a few years to come.)
    Def Rookie MVP: Eric Berry(Suh for sure)
    "Surprise" Player: Michael Crabtree (still right on this one for wrong reasons)
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player:Jay Cutler (Nail on Head)

Your Own Team: Pittsburgh Steelers (I hope we don't meet the Pats. Brady's Dink & Dunk offense was too much for us before.)
    Regular season record: 10-6 (12-4) better than expected but we need more offense.
    Best rookie: Steelers tend to ease their rookies in but Pouncey is a beast.( I am gonna gloat on this one) :cool::cool:
    Most looking forward to seeing: Troy Polamalu - The guy is just simply the best safety in the league... Run stopping - Picks - Tackling - Coolest hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The Munky wrote: »
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Chicago- Martz will help but they have a poor receiving corps and a poor O Line (Like politics- its matter of opinion- but I think I was close)

Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player:Jay Cutler (Nail on Head)

Really?!?!

i don't think too many people thought the Bears would win their division... in no way at all have the under achieved this season. Same goes for Cutler who bar a few ropey games has had a superb season...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I did ok.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    NFC North
    This is a straight shootout between the Packers and the Vikings. The Lions are getting better, the Bears look like they are getting worse again although there are rumours of them looking to make a deal to bring in either of Vincent Jackson or Housh which would make a huge difference to them imo. Anyways I really like the Packers chances this year and its a young team too, there are big expectations among the cheeseheads this year and they really do look all set to have a big run for the NFC Championship this year. The Vikings too are in great shape as long as Favre is ok. Its easy to think that both will make the playoffs but then you look at the schedule they both have it really tough this year as they play both the AFC and NFC East divsions.
    NFC South
    The Superbowl champs look in better shape than they did last year. They have upgraded the defense bringing in Alex Brown, Jimmy Wilkerson and Clint Ingram as well as drafting corner Patrick Robinson in the first. I really like Sean Payton and I think they have a really good chance to repeat. The Falcons are their only rivals for the divisional title but its hard to see them living with the Saints. We will just have to wait and see how the Panthers do after a very disappointing season in 2009 and the Bucs are trying to build from a very low starting point in 2009.
    NFC East
    Well the Giants look in really bad shape on the OL and I'm ruling them out. The Eagles have a new QB but a promising bunch of players with some rookies from last year who could really shine this season. The Cowboys look very strong and the Redskins could do anything under Shanahan. Its very hard to call it but the fact that Andy Reid was happy to trade Donovan McNabb makes me think he is really confident that Kevin Kolb is the man, otherwise he will be looking for a job after this season. I just really fancy them to win the division this year.
    NFC West/Worst
    I have been thinking since late last year when Kurt Warner looked like retiring that this would be easy for the 49ers this season but Sam Bradford has already made an impact and the Rams look surprisingly healthy and good heading into this season. Derek Anderson is capable of stunning everybody but its not likely to happen even though the talent is there although you just never know, a new coach and a new town can bring about amazing improvement in a player. And then we have Pete Carroll with the Seahawks and I personally think he is a brilliant coach. This division is wide open and I can't call it but I'd love to see the Seahawks do it.

AFC North
    I'm picking the Steelers to win the division. They had a superbowl hangover last year, they are going to be fired up early because they don't have Roethlisberger for the first 4 weeks and everybody will be told they have to give that little bit more and I think it will happen. The Ravens are not to be underestimated but I'm still not sold on Joe Flacco, he has more weapons this year but I gotta see him do it yet, Ray Rice had an outstanding 2009 and if he follows that up with something similar then I could be way off the mark here. The Bengals are a ticking time bomb waiting to explode with all those ex-cons and egos but they did hold it together last year. The Browns will improve under Mike Holmgren but they are in a developmental stage at best.
    AFC South
    The Colts nearly went unbeaten last year and its shocking that they didn't go for it, they have to be favourites to win this division again but the Texans are looming large in their wing mirrors and this could be the year they finally overtake them but that might not be enough. I'm going for the Titans to shock everbody and take this division. They showed Championship form when Vince Young took the reigns last year after an absolutely diabolical start to the season, they have improved the D with some shrewd signings and I just like them. The Jaguars look like they are in a mess.
    AFC East
    Extremely tough to call right now. I'm picking the Patriots because imo this offense is sick good, maybe the best they have ever had and thats with Logan Mankins sitting out. The D has to be a worry though with some key players on IR in Leigh Bodden and Ty Warren. Still I think the offense can outscore their rivals and the D is young and will get better as the season goes on. The Jets are still stuck with Sanchez at QB and I don't think he is as good as they want us to believe he is, they are also an organisation who have taken big risks bringing in troublesome and egotistical players and it could all unravel very quickly if they lose an early game. And even more importantly Revis is still sitting out and might do so for the season so I don't like their chances at all. In fact I'm more concerned about the Dolphins who have been quietly sitting in the background while Rex Ryan eats up all the AFC East headlines. I do like their young QB Chad Henne and while Brandon Marshall might be troublesome he is an elite receiver, add that to Ronny Brown if he is back to his best and all that wildcat stuff and thats one scary offense, and their D doesn't look bad either. The Bills have a long way to go to make themselves competitive.
    AFC West/Worst
    If they had any other head coach except Norv Turner(I can't understand how he still has his job) I would be bigging up the Chargers but you just don't know with that coach whats going to happen next. He leaves it possible that the Broncos could win the division but they have too many key injuries to seriously consider them at the present time. The Raiders look to have improved this year but that has to be seen in real games before we can believe it and I have to admit that I don't rate Jason Campbell at all, I would start Gradkowski ahead of him. The Chiefs have been going quietly along this offseason but we really should not underestimate them given their OC and DC who are both former Superbowl winning coaches with the Patriots in those positions. Still I have to go Chargers.

AFC Champions: Patriots or Titans
    NFC Champions: Saints or Packers, going Saints but would love if it was the Packers
    Superbowl Winner: Saints
    "Surprise" Team: Titans
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Jets
    NFL MVP Drew Brees
    Def MVP: Jonathon Vilma
    Off Rookie MVP: Sam Bradford
    "Surprise" Player: Vince Young
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Mark Sanchez
    Your Own Team - Patriots
    Regular season record: 11-5/12-4
    Best rookie: Devin McCourty
    Most looking forward to seeing: Welker back to his very best so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

this is how ive done

AFC Champions: Indianapolis Colts Still possible
    NFC Champions: New Orleans Saints Still possible
    Superbowl Winner: Indianapolis Colts Still possible
    "Surprise" Team: Seattle Seahawks Im claiming this as correct
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: New York Jets

Off MVP: Drew Brees Jinxed him but he still had a great year
    Def MVP: Troy Polumalu Ok so not MVP dut still damn good
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews Did ok but expected more
    Def Rookie MVP: Nate Allen Ok so this is wrong but he was great before getting injured
    "Surprise" Player: Jamal Charles Think he has surprised many
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Anaquin Boldon Nailed this one

Your Own Team: Eagles
    Regular season record: 8-8 I love being wrong here :)
    Best rookie: Nate Allen Without a shadow of a doubt
    Most looking forward to seeing: Kolb v McNaab twice. lol neither are even starters anymore haha :D:D

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Really?!?!

i don't think too many people thought the Bears would win their division... in no way at all have the under achieved this season. Same goes for Cutler who bar a few ropey games has had a superb season...

Passing Rushing Fumbles
    G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
    15 15 261 432 60.4 3,274 7.6 23 16 52 352 86.3 50 232 4.6 1 10 6

Bears Defense
    Points allowed per game: 17.9 (4th)
    Yards per game: 314 (9th)
    Pass yards per game: 224 (20th)
    Rush yards per game: 91 (2nd)

I am not saying that Jay Culter isn't a good QB because he is. I am merely saying that people seem to be waiting for him to be MVP.
    IMHO, he has a bad attitude, his demeanour on the field seems to be one of 'everyone else is to blame'. His O Line sucks but so does holding on to the ball for too long...., He has a strong arm granted but it isn't strong enough to throw 'through' double coverage or through DB's.

He may become an all time great (HOF) but right now there are 8 QB's I would have before him.
    1. Brady 2. Manning 3. Brees. 4. Rivers 5. Rodgers 6. Ryan 7. Vick 8. Big Ben

Some of these may not be as pure a passer as Cutler but they seem to be part of a team rather than an offshore General.
    There is no 'I' in team but with Cutler he found a 'me'

This is all my opinion - I could be wrong.

I am not saying that Jay Culter isn't a good QB because he is. I am merely saying that people seem to be waiting for him to be MVP.

Who are these people??? :confused:

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Who are these people??? :confused:

Bit of strange response from someone assuming someones identity.

I cannot, nor do I want to, list all the analysts, pundits, fans etc who have said Cutler has the potential to be an MVP. I was merely saying that I don't think he has shown the temperament to be an MVP.

So to answer your question - everyone I heard. Hope this helps with your confusion Mr. Tom

Bit of strange response from someone assuming someones identity.

Eh? Is that supposed to make sense?
    I cannot, nor do I want to, list all the analysts, pundits, fans etc who have said Cutler has the potential to be an MVP. I was merely saying that I don't think he has shown the temperament to be an MVP.

So to answer your question - everyone I heard. Hope this helps with your confusion Mr. Tom

Post me a link to an article by any of these pundits who predicted Jay Cutler would win MVP this year please.

Seems to me like your expectations of Cutler are beyond what most people who watch the game would hold. You list those 8 QBs like people expected him to be better than them. Vick aside (no one saw that coming), did you think Cutler would outperform Brady, Manning, Brees etc.?

Anyone who thought he would win MVP this year is clearly an idiot, especially considering how obvious it was during preseason that he would be the most sacked QB in the league thanks to God awful "protection". I think he's done well to achieve what he has considering that O-line. He's had some cracking games this year.

Underachieving? No.

Disappointing? If you had reasonable expectations like any knowledgeable fan, then again, no.

At no point did I state that I or anyone predicted that Cutler would win the MVP this year. I merely said that a lot of pundits prior to the season and even today rate Cutler as an elite QB. And usually MVP votes tend to lead towards QB's. And to base a case on someone having a 'few' cracking games in a season brings me to the thought that one swallow makes not a summer especially if its raining when you see it. Or 3 good games don't make you an MVP regardless of a poor O Line. Surely this is something you Mr Tom. having lost your receivers and developing rookies and still managed to put together an MVP year. I voted for you.

14 QB's have won the MVP in the last 20 years. Two won it in 2003.

The original point of my argument (which seems to be getting 'chest beaten' to death by more knowledgeable 'true' fans) was that IMHO Cutler hasn't lived up to the hype he has gotten. In the same way I think Rodgers is a quality QB but has done nothing in the post season, Romo and the Cowboys similarly. In m y mind an MVP has to have the ability to rise above the hype they create a show a genuine humble leadership qualities and I don't believe Culter has that - yet.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with my opinion is irrelevant. It seems to touched a nerve.

So, because of your interjection I feel like the light has dawned and I now subscribe to your way of thinking. Cutler Rocks!!!

I bet he throws 2/3 picks in his first post game of the post season. And if I am wrong I welcome all the people with 'superior' knowledge and higher post counts then I to come and highlight my flaws in trying to be a 'true' fan.

Here is my fav pundit to follow ;)
    5 pts - AFC West Winner - Chargers @ 4/9 (extrabet)

They say there's no such thing as a sure thing in gambling, but trust me - betting on the Chargers to win AFC West is akin to printing your own money. The Broncos are the only real challengers

I merely said that a lot of pundits prior to the season and even today rate Cutler as an elite QB.

I don't know anyone who's opinion is worthwhile who would rank him as elite. Again, this seems to be a problem with who's articles you subscribe to, not Cutler himself.
    And usually MVP votes tend to lead towards QB's. And to base a case on someone having a 'few' cracking games in a season brings me to the thought that one swallow makes not a summer especially if its raining when you see it. Or 3 good games don't make you an MVP regardless of his O Line. Surely this is something you Mr Tom. having lost your receivers and developing rookies and still managed to put together an MVP year. I voted for you.

Well I completely agree, so it's a good thing I would never even dream of nominating Cutler for MVP. Like I said, it's all about your expectations, and I dont think there's a rational thinker out there who thought Cutler would be MVP.
    So, because of your interjection I feel like the light has dawned and I now subscribe to your way of thinking. Cutler Rocks!!!

I bet he throws 2/3 picks in his first post game of the post season. And if I am wrong I welcome all the people with 'superior' knowledge and higher post counts then I to come and highlight my flaws in trying to be a 'true' fan.

Are you capable of having a discussion without playing the victim card?

Or maybe we could start without you putting words in my mouth. I never said Cutler rocks. I said he's had a good year with some great performances and some poor performances, and he's a very, very serviceable QB. Nothing more than that at the moment , I've certainly never labelled him MVP worthy or even elite. You brought up all that.

Cutler has no underachieved or disappointed. On the contrary, it seems you either expected more than most people did from him, or you're easily influenced and bought into the hype that some idiot pundits were peddling. Jay Cutler has performed pretty much as expected this year.

Do try not to get so defensive with your replies, it makes for horrible reading.

As for bringing up a bet I got wrong, go through the whole thread. You'll find I more than doubled my money. At least I've got the balls to put my money where my mouth is and I have no problem admitting when I get a prediction wrong. Really pathetic move out of you there tbh, no I know the type of character I'm trying to engage with which makes me wonder why I bother. Pathetically cringeworthy.

LOL, I will try

Horrible reading?

Then don't read or reply....

I will lose no sleep over it. Thanks Mr Tom.

LOL, I will try

Horrible reading?

Then don't read or reply....

Let me quote a pundit who's opinions I don't care for ;)

5 pts - AFC West Winner - Chargers @ 4/9 (extrabet)

They say there's no such thing as a sure thing in gambling, but trust me - betting on the Chargers to win AFC West is akin to printing your own money. The Broncos are the only real challengers!!!

I guess we all get it wrong.

Clearly incapable of having a discussion when you resort to repeating your cheap shots. I go on record with my bets, I have no problem with that. I clearly didn't have a problem when I more than doubled my money.

You're really painting yourself in a great light here, please continue.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    At least I've got the balls to put my money where my mouth is and I have no problem admitting when I get a prediction wrong. Really pathetic move out of you there tbh, no I know the type of character I'm trying to engage with which makes me wonder why I bother. Pathetically cringeworthy.

I put my money where my mouth is everyday my friend, but anyway you are making remarks about me when I never commented personally on your character only your judgement. And I invited all the online criticism people can bring should I be wrong in predicting 2/3 picks in Cutlers next game. So maybe you have more money or just a bigger mouth. :)

Now I will assume you disagree with my opinion on Cutler so the floor is yours to have the last word or final say. View it how you wish Mr Tom.

• Advertisement

I put my money where my mouth is everyday my friend, but anyway you are making remarks about me when I never commented personally on your character only your judgement. And I pick invite all the online criticism should I be wrong in predicting 2/3 picks in Cutlers next game. So maybe you have more money or just a bigger mouth. :)

Now I will assume you disagree with my opinion on Cutler so the floor is yours to have the last word or final say. View it how you wish Mr Tom.

You're the one who got incredibly defensive when I said that any knowledgeable fan would know what to expect from Cutler. Considering he took 10 sacks when he was only on the field for 37 pass attempts in preseason, people knew what to expect. You took that as a dig at you, it was no such thing. It was a dig at the pundits and fans you claimed rank him as elite and an MVP candidate. If you weren't so defensive, we wouldn't have this problem.

You're also the one who went looking through my betting log in a different forum looking for something I got wrong as a "nah nah nah nah" jibe. People will draw their own conclusions from that. It being pathetic was the conclusion I drew myself tbh, I reckon Im not the only one.

Put it this way - I'd rather get a prediction wrong and admit it rather than try and save face and claim it was right which is what you're doing. Were there a definite statistic that could indicate whether Cutler has underachieved, no bookies in the world would payout on you being right in that case.

Advertisement