Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010/2011 Season Predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

I love these posts...

Tallaght Outlaws - I usually agree with a lot of your posts on here but I have to say that you should give, your division rivals, the NYJ a little more credit. QB had a decent rookie year, the WO's this year are a little more explosive than last year, they now have a veteran RB in who will help their rookie RB's. They have one of the best O Lines in the AFC and probably will have the best defence stat wise over the next 3-5 years if they keep them together.

AFC Champions: Texans
    NFC Champions: Cowboys
    Superbowl Winner: Cowboys
    "Surprise" Team: Texans
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Chicago- Martz will help but they have a poor receiving corps and a poor O Line

Off MVP: Aaron Rodgers
    Def MVP: Darelle Revis
    Off Rookie MVP: Ryan Matthews
    Def Rookie MVP: Eric Berry
    "Surprise" Player: Michael Crabtree
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player:Jay Cutlerl

Your Own Team: Pittsburgh Steelers
    Regular season record: 10-6
    Best rookie: Steelers tend to ease their rookies in but Pouncey is a beast.
    Most looking forward to seeing: Troy Polamalu - The guy is just simply the best safety in the league... Run stopping - Picks - Tackling - Coolest hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The Munky wrote: »
    I love these posts...

Tallaght Outlaws - I usually agree with a lot of your posts on here but I have to say that you should give, your division rivals, the NYJ a little more credit. QB had a decent rookie year, the WO's this year are a little more explosive than last year, they now have a veteran RB in who will help their rookie RB's. They have one of the best O Lines in the AFC and probably will have the best defence stat wise over the next 3-5 years if they keep them together.

Wait are you asking me to give the Jets credit or Sanchez? As I have said many times Their defense is solid and was fantastic last season. But I do think they struggled on Offense. I also have said their running game was solid at times.

Now if you are arguing I am not giving the Jets as a team enough credit I have to disagree. I have many times. And lets not forget my argument with Chucky was about Sanchez and not the Jets and i am not the only one who said the Jets were overhyped now am I?

So if this is about Sanchez that is my opinion even if I am not giving him enough credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

So if this is about Sanchez that is my opinion even if I am not giving him enough credit.

No, true you arent the only one who says the Jets are overhyped but I do feel that Sanchez is a good (maybe not great) QB in the making and if anyone can develop him it'll be Rex Ryan.

So dont be so sensitive ;)

I bet the Jets finish a head of the Pats though..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

AFC Champions Ravens
    NFC Champions Cowboys

Superbowl winners-Ravens

Awesome D led by Ray Lewis and now with Joe Flacco having some weapons at WR,i think Baltimore will be hard stopped.
    Dallas Cowboys are just so talented all over the roster,i think they will go deeper in the playoffs than they have since Aikman/Smith/Irvin and co.

"Surprise" Team
    : Chicago Bears(Jay Cutler will be better this year)
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: New York Jets

Off MVP: Joe Flacco
    Def MVP: Demarcus Ware
    Def Rookie MVP: Ndumah Suh(spelling???)
    "Surprise" Player: Jay Cutler(hes going to have a great year)
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Mark Sanchez

Your Own Team :Indianapolis Colts
    Regular season record: 12-4
    Best rookie:
    Most looking forward to seeing: What Peyton can do with Collie,Gonzalez,Garcon,Wayne,Clark all fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

AFC Champions: Indianapolis Colts
    NFC Champions: Green Bay Packers
    Superbowl Winner: Green Bay
    "Surprise" Team: Oakland Raiders
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Baltimore Ravens

Off MVP: Peyton Manning
    Def MVP: DaMarcus Ware
    Def Rookie MVP: Rolando McClain
    "Surprise" Player: Jason Campbell
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Tom Brady

Your Own Team: Raiders
    Regular season record: 10-6
    Best rookie: Rolando McClain
    Most looking forward to seeing: A big improvement in team defence especially against the run and an offence capable of consistently moving the ball, putting points of the board and especially, taking advantage of any opportunities that present themselves.

I'm a bit surprised that so many people think Suh or McCoy will finish as defensive rookie of the year, I know that they were widely regarded as being among the top 4 players in the draft, but the last defensive tackle to win rookie of the year was Tim Bowens of the Miami Dolphins way back in 1994, while a linebacker has won the award in 9 of the past ten years(with Julius Peppers being the exception during that period).

I just think that it takes a year or two for linemen to acclimatise to the greater guile, schemes, speed and strength of the NFL trenches, while linebackers may have a greater opportunity to play in space and use their athleticism from the beginning.

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote: »
    I just think that it takes a year or two for linemen to acclimatise to the greater guile, schemes, speed and strength of the NFL trenches, while linebackers may have a greater opportunity to play in space and use their athleticism from the beginning.

Guys like Suh are a whole new breed of Defensive tackles. These are guys who are over 6'4 and weight 300+ pounds and are insane athletes for their size. They run 40 times of under 5 seconds flat. They truly have put DT on the map this year. And if they have solid seasons and live up to expectation there is no reason why they can't break the current trend and get the award.

Just look at guys like Suh compared to other NFL DT. The modern DT are getting more athletic than the ones of old and some of them are just as athletic as linebackers. Its an ever changing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

AFC Champions: San Diego Chargers
    NFC Champions: New Orleans Saints
    Superbowl Winner: San Diego Chargers
    "Surprise" Team: San Francisco 49ers
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Team: Dallas Cowboys

Off MVP: Drew Brees
    Def MVP: Patrick Willis
    Def Rookie MVP: Earl Thomas
    "Surprise" Player: Alex Smith
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Jay Cutler

My Team: Oakland Raiders
    Regular season record: 7-9 (unfortunately!)
    Best rookie: Rolando McClain
    Most looking forward to seeing: Michael Bush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

for all the people saying the Jets will be the underachieving team this season.Why?
    Sanchez is a year older,they had a fantastic defense and got two more corners.Who wants to throw to the Jets.
    All this talk of a poor locker room forgets surely the leaders already there and players like LT and Jason Taylor will add epxerience and leadership.
    Not being the main guy i think will suit LT and im with Shawn Merriman and Peter King in thinking that behind our line he will run for 1000 yards and could be a great signing.
    No jet fan is saying we will win the supernbowl but we must be doing something right if everyone is hating us:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

I'm sorry but the Raiders will not break .500 this year.But I will say this,they are heading in the right direction.

Guys like Suh are a whole new breed of Defensive tackles. These are guys who are over 6'4 and weight 300+ pounds and are insane athletes for their size. They run 40 times of under 5 seconds flat. They truly have put DT on the map this year. And if they have solid seasons and live up to expectation there is no reason why they can't break the current trend and get the award.

Just look at guys like Suh compared to other NFL DT. The modern DT are getting more athletic than the ones of old and some of them are just as athletic as linebackers. Its an ever changing game.

Anyone remember Glenn Dorsey ? AS I recall when he was drafted in the 2008 draft he was the consensus top defensive player in the draft, could collapse the pocket, sack the quarterback and play the run - the complete defensive tackle - how many pro bowls ? None, how many sacks ? just 2 despite starting 31 games. Possibly Suh and McCoy are both better, but Dorsey was seen as a pretty sure thing and so far, he's been underwhelming. I think Dorsey would be a modern DT too..
    I'm sorry but the Raiders will not break .500 this year.But I will say this,they are heading in the right direction.

The AFC West isn't the toughest division and the Raiders face the Chiefs and Broncos twice, while they nearly beat the Chargers in Oakland last season, they also face the Rams, Seahawks and Jaguars, while they have home games against the Dolphins and Texans and face the Cardinals, which if Leinert doesn't work out, could be winnable. So if they sweep the Broncos and Chiefs and snatch one win over SD, plus wins over the Rams, Seahawks and Jags, thats .500 and who knows how they'll fare against Arizona,Miami and Houston.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Glenn Dorsey ? AS I recall when he was drafted in the 2008 draft he was the consensus top defensive player in the draft, could collapse the pocket, sack the quarterback and play the run - the complete defensive tackle - how many pro bowls ? None, how many sacks ? just 2 despite starting 31 games. Possibly Suh and McCoy are both better, but Dorsey was seen as a pretty sure thing and so far, he's been underwhelming. I think Dorsey would be a modern DT too..

I wouldn't consider Dorsey the same as Suh or McCoy. Dorsey is heavier and slower and and not anywhere near the athlete the other 2 are especially Suh. Dorsey used pure strength in college Suh and McCoy used strength and speed. Never liked Dorsey myself felt he was over rated. As well as that Dorsey was riddled with Injuries in his final year at LSU and for me didn't help him.

Sure Suh and McCoy could fail but as the years go on the the leaner faster big DT are showing that the attitudes of DT are changing. As the years go on they are becoming more and more of athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

The AFC West isn't the toughest division and the Raiders face the Chiefs and Broncos twice, while they nearly beat the Chargers in Oakland last season, they also face the Rams, Seahawks and Jaguars, while they have home games against the Dolphins and Texans and face the Cardinals, which if Leinert doesn't work out, could be winnable. So if they sweep the Broncos and Chiefs and snatch one win over SD, plus wins over the Rams, Seahawks and Jags, thats .500 and who knows how they'll fare against Arizona,Miami and Houston.[/QUOTE]
    That is true it is not the toughest division.The Raiders were a jackel and hyde team last year;could beat the Steelers,run the Chargers close,but crash against less fancied teams such as the Browns.
    Also they lost against the Chiefs last year,and the Chiefs are making strides,so to predict they should sweep the Chiefs would be an error.

The Raiders could surprise...COULD.However,the Raiders being the Raiders,anything could happen.I think it'll take more than just a new QB,who btw,isn't all that great himself,and a solid yet UNPROVEN rookie class,to take them over the hump.Give them a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Anyone remember Glenn Dorsey ? AS I recall when he was drafted in the 2008 draft he was the consensus top defensive player in the draft, could collapse the pocket, sack the quarterback and play the run - the complete defensive tackle - how many pro bowls ? None, how many sacks ? just 2 despite starting 31 games. Possibly Suh and McCoy are both better, but Dorsey was seen as a pretty sure thing and so far, he's been underwhelming. I think Dorsey would be a modern DT too.

Hasn't he been playing DE for the last 2 years?

Yup and the worst place they could put him. He hasn't the agility or speed to take on solid pro tackles.

I wouldn't consider Dorsey the same as Suh or McCoy. Dorsey is heavier and slower and and not anywhere near the athlete the other 2 are especially Suh. Dorsey used pure strength in college Suh and McCoy used strength and speed. Never liked Dorsey myself felt he was over rated. As well as that Dorsey was riddled with Injuries in his final year at LSU and for me didn't help him.

Sure Suh and McCoy could fail but as the years go on the the leaner faster big DT are showing that the attitudes of DT are changing. As the years go on they are becoming more and more of athletes.

I think you need to remind yourself what they were saying about Dorsey in 2008 before he was drafted ( http://www.mymockdraft.com/1343/PlayerDetail.aspx ) His weight then was lighter than Suh is now and his 40 time was faster than Suh did at this year's combine. I accept that he had injuries in his final year in college but if I said, as this preview of Dorsey said "For a guy his size, ---- is extremely explosive, and gets off the line as quickly as any defensive tackle in the country. He's a disruptive force in the middle, who consistently collapses the pocket. He has the speed to shoot the gaps, and the strength to fight through double teams, and would be effective in either a one or two-gap system.

---- is freakishly athletic for a 300-pound man, and should be one of, if not the top selection in the .... NFL Draft." You might assume I was talking about Suh. Just saying that the superlatives about Suh aren't necessarily unique and I'm surprised he's seen as such a sure thing.

As for Dorsey being heavier, he's now listed at 297lbs compared to 307lbs for Suh

Well he is listed as one now, but that makes his stats even worse. 2 sacks in 2 seasons by a DT ain't great, 2 sacks by a Defensive End, even one playing in a 3-4 is poor.

I think you need to remind yourself what they were saying about Dorsey in 2008 before he was drafted ( http://www.mymockdraft.com/1343/PlayerDetail.aspx ) His weight then was lighter than Suh is now and his 40 time was faster than Suh did at this year's combine. I accept that he had injuries in his final year in college but if I said, as this preview of Dorsey said "For a guy his size, ---- is extremely explosive, and gets off the line as quickly as any defensive tackle in the country. He's a disruptive force in the middle, who consistently collapses the pocket. He has the speed to shoot the gaps, and the strength to fight through double teams, and would be effective in either a one or two-gap system.

---- is freakishly athletic for a 300-pound man, and should be one of, if not the top selection in the .... NFL Draft." You might assume I was talking about Suh. Just saying that the superlatives about Suh aren't necessarily unique and I'm surprised he's seen as such a sure thing.

As for Dorsey being heavier, he's now listed at 297lbs compared to 307lbs for Suh

Well he is listed as one now, but that makes his stats even worse. 2 sacks in 2 seasons by a DT ain't great, 2 sacks by a Defensive End, even one playing in a 3-4 is poor.

You completely missed my point. Dorsey is and always has been on the fat end of being a DT. Just look at his pictures he always had that huge fat nose tackle frame. Now look at Suh for example the man is a wall compared to Dorsey. Suh is an athlete

Suh:

Ndamukong_Suh.jpg

Dorsey

2008+NFL+PLAYERS+Rookie+Premiere+KCpSdYlAVW_l.jpg

There is no doubt Dorsey is explosive for his frame. But he doesnt even compare to other Pro tackles. Take Vince Wilfork, Kris Jenkins and other Nose tackles in the league these guys are big 300 pounders and are the best in the business due to their explosive strength.

Dorsey was hyped up so much he failed to live up to expectation and the same could happen to Suh there is no doubt about it but when you look at the type of Defensive linemen they are I would expect Suh to do a lot better after he goes through NFL workouts.

Oh and to add the Chiefs moving Dorsey to DE was a huge mistake. Dorsey hasn't got the right kind ability to be an end.

Oh and I forgot McCoy

lead620.jpg

The pictures show what I am talking about when I say new breed. Look at the difference in build for guys who weigh in and around the same.

I think you need to remind yourself what they were saying about Dorsey in 2008 before he was drafted

Oh and to be honest with you I formed my opinion on Dorsey on what I have seen of him. A lot of whats been said about all of these guys is intentional hype really. I watch a lot of LSU games and have seen him with the chiefs and I just dont he is or was what they hyped him about. Now granted Suh or McCoy haven't played in the NFL yet but from what I have watched comparing them to Dorsey in college I would prefer either of them and hope they will live up to their ability in the Pros and I truly think they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How does it make them worse? :confused: He played one season at DT, then was moved to DE. He's 6'1 and 297lbs. Here's a list of very good 3-4 DE

Richard Seymour - 6'6 310 avg's 4.3 sacks per year with the Pats.
    Aaron Smith - 6-5 298lbs. avg 4.6 sacks py( didn't the two year where he played just 5 and 6 games)
    Ty Warren - 6'5 300lbs 3.2 sacks py.
    Igor Olshansky - 6'6 315lbs 2 sacks py.
    Marcus Spears 6'4 309lbs 1.6 sacks py

All have at least a couple of inches and most are bigger or the same size. The top DE's who play on top teams do well with sacks the rest hit about 2 a year. Dorsey finished joint 3rd for tackles last season, finished 7th for defensive stops out of 39 players. He's done well as a DE considering I doubt he ever played much in college and when he isn't even built for the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

AFC champs: New York Jets
    NFC champs: Dallas Cowboys
    Superbowl champs: New York Jets
    Surprise team: Jacksonville Jaguars
    Overhyped team: New England Patriots

Offensive MVP: Maurice Jones-Drew
    Defensive MVP: DeMarcus Ware
    Off Rookie: Dez Bryant
    Def Rookie: Tyson Alualu
    ''Surprise player'': Antonio Cromartie
    Overhyped player: Tom Brady!!!

My Team: Jaguars
    Regular Season Record: 10-6
    Best Rookie: Tyson Alualu
    Most looking forward to see: How Dave Garrard's passing has improved and if he'll be given more time to look around playing behind Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

kev_s88 wrote: »
    AFC champs: New York Jets
    NFC champs: Dallas Cowboys
    Surprise team: Jacksonville Jaguars
    Overhyped team: New England Patriots

Offensive MVP: Maurice Jones-Drew
    Defensive MVP: DeMarcus Ware
    Off Rookie: Dez Bryant
    Def Rookie: Tyson Alualu
    ''Surprise player'': Antonio Cromartie
    Overhyped player: Tom Brady!!!

My Team: Jaguars
    Regular Season Record: 10-6
    Best Rookie: Tyson Alualu
    Most looking forward to see: How Dave Garrard's passing has improved and if he'll be given more time to look around playing behind Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton!

Where's the love for the Pats? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

AFC Champions: Indianapolis Colts
    Superbowl Winner: Indianapolis Colts
    "Surprise" Team: Seattle Seahawks

Def MVP: Troy Polumalu
    Def Rookie MVP: Nate Allen
    "Surprise" Player: Jamal Charles
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Anaquin Boldon

Your Own Team: Eagles
    Regular season record: 8-8
    Best rookie: Nate Allen
    Most looking forward to seeing: Kolb v McNaab twice.

D3PO wrote: »
    AFC Champions: San Diego Chargers
    Superbowl Winner: Indianapolis Colts
    "Surprise" Team: Seattle Seahawks

Def MVP: Troy Polumalu
    Def Rookie MVP: Nate Allen
    "Surprise" Player: Jamal Charles
    Underachieving/Over-Hyped Player: Anaquin Boldon

Your Own Team: Eagles
    Regular season record: 8-8
    Best rookie: Nate Allen
    Most looking forward to seeing: Kolb v McNaab twice.

How can the Colts win the Bowl but not win the AFC Championship ;):D:D:D

How can the Colts win the Bowl but not win the AFC Championship ;):D:D:D

Senior moment there john. was editing a quoted post forgot to make the change. fixed :D

p.s its rule 47 subsection 3 paragraph 12. Just like the tuck rule was made for Brady the D3PO rule was made for the colts :P

D3PO wrote: »
    Senior moment there john. was editing a quoted post forgot to make the change. fixed :D

p.s its rule 47 subsection 3 paragraph 12. Just like the tuck rule was made for Brady the D3PO rule was made for the colts :P

Did they move the Colts to the NFC also with this new rule? All AFC Bowl now that would be a first ;):D:D:D

Did they move the Colts to the NFC also with this new rule? All AFC Bowl now that would be a first ;):D:D:D

dammit edited the wrong line. Your really busy today by the looks of it :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

How much hype do you have to be fed to pick this team? The Jets played weeeelllll beyond their level to reach even the playoffs. They'll be better this year, I'm sure, and they're definitely building something; but a Superbowl this early in their development is an impossibility, tbh. Maybe in NY in 2012. That's what I'd be aiming at if I were a jets fan. Chargers, Pats, Ravens and (bias aside) Colts will all steamroll them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Chargers steamroll the Jets? Really? Where have I heard that before.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Archimedes wrote: »
    Chargers steamroll the Jets? Really? Where have I heard that before.... ;)

Chargers beat the Chargers in last seasons playoffs, but fair enough. I see that as a very good day for the Jets: they beat the Bolts, but in reality it was a miracle they made the playoffs - charity actually.

So about your sig ... who's that guy pointing to Peyton Manning?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

davyjose wrote: »
    How much hype do you have to be fed to pick this team? The Jets played weeeelllll beyond their level to reach even the playoffs. They'll be better this year, I'm sure, and they're definitely building something; but a Superbowl this early in their development is an impossibility, tbh. Maybe in NY in 2012. That's what I'd be aiming at if I were a jets fan. Chargers, Pats, Ravens and (bias aside) Colts will all steamroll them!

yeh i see what you're getting at. just personally to me i dont see any team really standing out this year. The Saints came out of nowhere last year, and i just dont think they'll hold up this year. Personally i see the Jets to be the next ones to play beyond themselves and take the Bowl. Id love to say the Jags would be the ones to out-do themselves, but im slightly realistic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

yeh i see what you're getting at. just personally to me i dont see any team really standing out this year. The Saints came out of nowhere last year,

I wouldn't say that.
    By Week 2 I had them picked as the SB winner.
    Most on the ESPN podcast picked them realy early, at least the now disgraced Jeremy Green did

Not a shock, last September many, many people had them picked as a top candidate for the Lombardi trophy

Advertisement