Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords Own Brand Oil?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

theshaft wrote: »
    just because it meets a standard doesn't mean its as good an oil. a standard is just a benchmark which in fairness won't be hard to meet. you can have 2 different brands of oil which say they're the same but will have differant appearances and textures. certain brands are better at heat dissipation and take longer to break down and leave less of a buildup of unwanted substances.

unless your putting this oil into a bugatti veyron or something i really dont think it makes a whole lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

unless your putting this oil into a bugatti veyron or something i really dont think it makes a whole lot of difference.

In about 2000 when VAG released the PD TDI it had an exacting oil spec which has been ignored for one reason or another and now owners are paying the price with engine wear, turbo failures and some other problems. Fantastically reliable engines if the right oil was used but problems when it wasn't.

Although for the most part the oil on the market is grand Im sure some arent as good as others and Ive read a lot about manufacturers printing the standards on when they never got them met.

I think we are well past the time where engines could take a lot of abuse in this area. Id always make sure VW spec, Toyota spec and Peugeot spec oil is used across the familys cars. I would never put any old oil in. It makes sense in the longer run.

So no Veyrons but a few Skoda's and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

mickdw wrote: »
    Its pretty silly how most sell in 4L cans now. I was looking at castrol edge, €17 for the additional litre that I would need. I bought a 5L Mobil 1 instead.

I feel your pain buddy, I need 5.5L so its a real pain in the ass. Luckily last time halfrauds were doing a free 1L when buying a 4L so just had to buy 1 extra 1L.
    The 15% discount with axa card is most useful in there too ;)

Call me an oil snob or whatever, but I only ever use Castrol.
    I've used GTX, magnetec and now edge 0w30 in my current and never had any problems. I always do 5k - 8k mile oil and filter changes though ;)

PaulKK wrote: »
    I feel your pain buddy, I need 5.5L so its a real pain in the ass. Luckily last time halfrauds were doing a free 1L when buying a 4L so just had to buy 1 extra 1L.
    The 15% discount with axa card is most useful in there too ;)

Call me an oil snob or whatever, but I only ever use Castrol.
    I've used GTX, magnetec and now edge 0w30 in my current and never had any problems. I always do 5k - 8k mile oil and filter changes though ;)

How is the 0w30 doing you for cold starts? Im half pondering it. Along with one of those oil sucky yokes so you can do oil changes without raising the car.

bbk wrote: »
    How is the 0w30 doing you for cold starts? Im half pondering it. Along with one of those oil sucky yokes so you can do oil changes without raising the car.

Well I have new glow plugs in it to be honest but she is firing well. I've had 0w30 in it from the start so I can't compare it to anything.

I wouldn't bother with those oil pump things, i just don't think they are as good as draining properly and giving it a little flush with a small bit of fresh oil.

Is the undertray still on your golf? I always changed the oil in my old passat without raising the car no probs :)

If you must raise the car you could pick up a set of metal ramps for about 30 quid at a car boot sale or something, I have a set and they are dead handy.

AFAIK, the 0w30 is just mainly for vehicles that require really low soot/emissions to avoid DPF damage, so if the 5w30 is cheaper I'd prob stick with that.. the 320d can use that too, but I like to treat mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

mickdw wrote: »
    Its pretty silly how most sell in 4L cans now. I was looking at castrol edge, €17 for the additional litre that I would need. I bought a 5L Mobil 1 instead.

You must have just missed their last deal about 6 weeks ago, buy 4 litres of 0w30 EDGE and get a litre free. Good deal, I got 7 litres for €75. :)

I told the BMW dealer about it (when I was in for parts) before I went to Halfords and he wouldn't match it, he was nearly 50% dearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Bearcat wrote: »
    May I indulge and give you my experience of halfords oil.....we run a toyota vx landcruiser as a daily. It has a 4.2 diesel up front and needs its oil changed every 6k, (thats the reason why they go forever). I decided I'd put halfords own semi syn diesel oil in her, it nearly takes 12 litres so I decided to go cheap......by 5k I knew she was cryin for an oil change....what came out of the sump was like water.....halfors oil is desperate muck.....I put back in a branded semi syn 5-40....no compliants since.....avoid halfords own stuff, pure shoite and I've been around the block enought to know....

Please explain how it was crying for an oil change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

haven't read the whole thread I'm just picking on one point I saw.

ANYONE who pays €50 for an own brand oil is off their rocker.

I'm currently selling a 4.5l own brand 10w/40 semi synth for €20. And I'm making 6 quid a bottle.

€50 is dick turpin stuff

Well I have new glow plugs in it to be honest but she is firing well. I've had 0w30 in it from the start so I can't compare it to anything.

I wouldn't bother with those oil pump things, i just don't think they are as good as draining properly and giving it a little flush with a small bit of fresh oil.

Is the undertray still on your golf? I always changed the oil in my old passat without raising the car no probs :)

If you must raise the car you could pick up a set of metal ramps for about 30 quid at a car boot sale or something, I have a set and they are dead handy.
    The 0wShizzle is quite popular in really cold parts of the US and it would do no harm here. My car had the usual coolant temp sensor problem and it started much better afterwards, more suitable oil for the cold would be nice for the engine. Im pretty sure VW have passed a few 0wSomethings for the VE's.

Ahh, Im ever so lazy and love the gadgets. There are two Draper ones in the shop that are gawking at me every time I pass . . .:mad:

The undertray is still there, although beaten up. Ive been down there to retrieve a phone I dropped in there when I slipped on ice :) Ill do it the proper way in the end. My notions never last too long.
    but I like to treat mine.
    I aim to have my car outlive me lol

Thanks.

The 0wShizzle is quite popular in really cold parts of the US and it would do no harm here. My car had the usual coolant temp sensor problem and it started much better afterwards, more suitable oil for the cold would be nice for the engine. Im pretty sure VW have passed a few 0wSomethings for the VE's.

Ahh, Im ever so lazy and love the gadgets. There are two Draper ones in the shop that are gawking at me every time I pass . . .:mad:

The undertray is still there, although beaten up. Ive been down there to retrieve a phone I dropped in there when I slipped on ice :) Ill do it the proper way in the end. My notions never last too long.

I aim to have my car outlive me lol

Thanks.

No problem, if you want the car to outlive you I'd be more concerned with getting fresh oil into it more regularly tbh.

Just checked there btw and 0w30 and 5w30 are the same price, if the golf isn't burning much I'd go with the 0w30, certainly won't do any harm.

• Advertisement

No problem, if you want the car to outlive you I'd be more concerned with getting fresh oil into it more regularly tbh.

Just checked there btw and 0w30 and 5w30 are the same price, if the golf isn't burning much I'd go with the 0w30, certainly won't do any harm.

Im looking into more regular changes too.
    As far as I can tell its not burning any oil. Apparently the VE is a good engine for that.

Service due in the next 1000 miles so Ill provide some oil to the garage or something.

Anyway, Ive hijacked this enough :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

I got 5 litres of Mobil 1 10W40 in halfords a few weeks ago for €23. Hard to argue with that as it was apparently one of mobil's highest spec oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 STOKESY_01

as mentioned above Halfords oil manufactured by Comma! Just as good as anything else out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

theshaft wrote: »
    how about i just show you my genitals instead. no honestly i dont care what you ppl use. surely u must have more interesting issues in life than to request proof and results on sum1s statings of oil. im bored of this now

Of course you are. Cos you were caught talking complete bollocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

There's some right rubbish being spouted on this thread.

How did you know the car was crying out for an oil change? It is also very unusual for used oil to come out like water, never seen it myself. Maybe it's a characteristic of your engine but most used oil is thicker and blacker.

It's not like the lads in halfords are in the back mixing up ****e oil, they get it made for them and it conforms to the standards on the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think anything halfords is sh1te. Argos is the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What a ridiculous comment. Anything in halfords or argos is Sh1te. Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

gpf101 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment. Anything in halfords or argos is Sh1te. Right.

Its all cheap tacky crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SARASON wrote: »
    Its all cheap tacky crap.

So an epson printer bought in Argos is cheap tacky crap but if you buy it online its grand?

Neither Argos of Halfords manufacture stuff, they are resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bought the Halfords semi-synth stuff before and its totally fine. No difference between castrol gtx that was in before it.

Couldnt notice the difference between the oils i used

IMO most of the semi-synth oils on the market are much of a muchness with not a lot of difference between them. Such people who dismiss it are badge snobs, the sorta people that dismiss kia or a skoda because of the badge

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Been using Q8 10W40 oil from a motorfactors.It comes in a 20 litre drum and works out very cheaply compared to oil you buy in 4-5 liter containers.It's been used in the Mazda (1.8 litre petrol, 16 valve, DOHC) from around 40000 miles to currently around 100000 miles with genuine oil filters.The car actually runs better than when we bought it, because the previous owner wasn't as diligent about servicing it and uses next to no oil.Consider buying per 20 litre, you can also get different brands, it's much better value and you're sorted for a few oilchanges and topping up.Since I started buying barrels I never looked back.And the petrol stations must be splitting their sides everytime someone's buying a liter of oil.

gpf101 wrote: »
    There's some right rubbish being spouted on this thread.

TopGear haven't done a show on oil as yet and HonestJohn doesn't have anything about it either so folks are struggling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I used Comma Semi synthetic for years in my Seat Toledo (VW pdi) put 150k miles on that car before selling it (two years ago) and the new owner has put another 50K on it.

Still going like a clock.

Halfords oil is the exact same stuff.

knipex wrote: »
    I used Comma Semi synthetic for years in my Seat Toledo (VW pdi) put 150k miles on that car before selling it (two years ago) and the new owner has put another 50K on it.

Still going like a clock.

Halfords oil is the exact same stuff.

Do you mean TDI? What year?

Do you mean TDI? What year?

yes 1.9tdi registered June 2003.

yes 1.9tdi registered June 2003.

I'd really avoid semi synth in that engine. VW sent a service bulletin around years ago saying that its highly recommended to fill the engine with fully synth oil.

In 2005 they said this:
    At the time of this printing, all of the engine oils
    Volkswagen is aware of that meet the exacting
    Volkswagen oil quality standard are synthetic-based.
    Thats 5 or 6 years since the PD engine was released and there were still no suitable semi synth oils. Another thread I read and a guy called up VW HQ and the rep said that engines with the wrong oil are ticking timebombs.

I checked the Comma site and none of the 4 semi synth products meet VW505.01. Some only meet the VW505.00 spec which is for the older engine.

EDIT:
    Hmm, its sold.

I'd really avoid semi synth in that engine. VW sent a service bulletin around years ago saying that its highly recommended to fill the engine with fully synth oil.

In 2005 they said this:

Thats 5 or 6 years since the PD engine was released and there were still no suitable semi synth oils. Another thread I read and a guy called up VW HQ and the rep said that engines with the wrong oil are ticking timebombs.

I checked the Comma site and none of the 4 semi synth products meet VW505.01. Some only meet the VW505.00 spec which is for the older engine.

EDIT:
    Hmm, its sold.

150K miles don't lie. Running like a clock, never gave a single problem, passed NCT with no issues, emissions were spot on. Never did anything to the engine except for standard services etc.

Met the current owner over the weekend and it just passed another NCT, still going like a clock.

Oh and Seat Main dealer was also using Comma Semi Synthetic. No spate of engine failures noted.

My pint beign that Comma oil aint crap ergo halfords oil aint crap.

It's mainly on the 150bhp 1.9 unit that not using the VW fully syn cause issue. The 90, 110 & 130 are a very different beast internally compared to the 150bhp iirc.

150K miles don't lie. Running like a clock, never gave a single problem, passed NCT with no issues, emissions were spot on. Never did anything to the engine except for standard services etc.

Met the current owner over the weekend and it just passed another NCT, still going like a clock.

Oh and Seat Main dealer was also using Comma Semi Synthetic. No spate of engine failures noted.

My pint beign that Comma oil aint crap ergo halfords oil aint crap.

The problems associated with the oil and the PD TDI is engine wear which builds up over time. Nothing to do with emissions or any test that the car is subjected to in the NCT.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?f=4&t=8645

With regards to RoverJames the 90 and 110 are VE TDI units, they are much more easy going on what oil you use and as you say much different to the PD's. The 90 was around before the mark 4's and the 110 is a derivative of the 90.

The 130 and 150 are Pump Dusse TDIs which is where the problems lay along with the other PD engines in general due to the higher pressures in the engine.
    When the PD's came out VW issued the service bulletin shortly after so the problem doesnt exist for my engine however was grouped into the fully synth thing.

• Advertisement

The problems associated with the oil and the PD TDI is engine wear which builds up over time. Nothing to do with emissions or any test that the car is subjected to in the NCT.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?f=4&t=8645

With regards to RoverJames the 90 and 110 are VE TDI units, they are much more easy going on what oil you use and as you say much different to the PD's. The 90 was around before the mark 4's and the 110 is a derivative of the 90.

The 130 and 150 are Pump Dusse TDIs which is where the problems lay along with the other PD engines in general due to the higher pressures in the engine.
    When the PD's came out VW issued the service bulletin shortly after so the problem doesnt exist for my engine however was grouped into the fully synth thing.

It was a 110bhp engine (nice engine btw)

Advertisement