Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords Own Brand Oil?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I was in Halfords recently and was looking around at what oil they stock. Now they have all the usual branded oil there Castrol, Helix etc etc in 4 litre containers.

They also had however their own Halfords branded oil for BMW, Audi, VW etc. As I was curious as its about 50quid for 5 liters for (VW 507.00 - Longlife Spec oil) I had a look at the back of the continers for each. For the VW it was approved for longlife and also had the SAE spec similarly for BMW they also had accredited spec oil for their services.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_498809_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

Do any of ye know who blends it for them?
    Or are any of ye follow board members using it currently in your cars?
    Any difference over branded oil, running better/ worse, fuel consumption increase/decrease?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

50 quid seems a lot for Halfords brand.

My shop has Total Quarts 9000 and Elf Solaris(sp) that meets a raft of VW standards (I didnt take note of other brands) for under 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 theshaft

id never put that overpriced halfords muck in my engine. i use carlube oils for every part of my car that needs a fluid. i find it fantastic and very well priced. i buy it from rathgar motor factors. carlube have a very handy oil checker if u select your vehicle options. even tells u the right diff, gearbox power steering fluid etc to use if they have it in their database. http://www.carlube.co.uk

theshaft wrote: »
    id never put that overpriced halfords muck in my engine. i use carlube oils for every part of my car that needs a fluid. i find it fantastic and very well priced. i buy it from rathgar motor factors. carlube have a very handy oil checker if u select your vehicle options. even tells u the right diff, gearbox power steering fluid etc to use if they have it in their database. http://www.carlube.co.uk

Just checked my car on that and it shows up with a semi synth oil for the engine despite a VW service bulletin a few years back about only using fully synth in the diesel engines.

Its a nice service they provide there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

So why is Halfords oil "muck", even though it meets every standard required for the cars... and this carlube own brand stuff is "Fantastic".....

robtri wrote: »
    So why is Halfords oil "muck", even though it meets every standard required for the cars... and this carlube own brand stuff is "Fantastic".....

just because it meets a standard doesn't mean its as good an oil. a standard is just a benchmark which in fairness won't be hard to meet. you can have 2 different brands of oil which say they're the same but will have differant appearances and textures. certain brands are better at heat dissipation and take longer to break down and leave less of a buildup of unwanted substances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

bbk wrote: »
    50 quid seems a lot for Halfords brand.

My shop has Total Quarts 9000 and Elf Solaris(sp) that meets a raft of VW standards (I didnt take note of other brands) for under 50 quid.

Are they in 4 or 5 litre containers? I usually find that most branded motor oils are supplied in 4 litre containers necessitating in having to buy more for tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

People on the internet say the Halfords stuff is manufactured by Esso and is very similar or the same as some Comma branded stuff. But they also say you can get better deals elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

halfords oil is produced by COMMA oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

id never put that overpriced halfords muck in my engine.

It´s not much different than most of the oils you´d see for sale. Don´t be a snob ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Gers_punto wrote: »
    halfords oil is produced by COMMA oil

+1 , and its not muck but decent stuff.:)

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    It´s not much different than most of the oils you´d see for sale. Don´t be a snob ffs.

i get feedback from wud u believe, honest guys in the motor trade. they wudnt touch the stuff. its not being a snob, its researching the best quality oil for the best price. and im sorry, but thats halfords

just because it meets a standard doesn't mean its as good an oil. a standard is just a benchmark which in fairness won't be hard to meet. you can have 2 different brands of oil which say they're the same but will have differant appearances and textures. certain brands are better at heat dissipation and take longer to break down and leave less of a buildup of unwanted substances.

that wasnt the question.. why is Halford MUCK and Carlube so Fantastic...

can you show me where carlubes exceeds the halfords brand one??

i get feedback from wud u believe, honest guys in the motor trade. they wudnt touch the stuff. its not being a snob, its researching the best quality oil for the best price. and im sorry, but thats halfords

so you have researched this then??? cool can you let us know why its muck....

most guys i know in the trade hav no problems witht he halford stuff, they all mainly use the cheapest stuff that fits the requirements of the car unless customer asks for a special brand...

robtri wrote: »
    that wasnt the question.. why is Halford MUCK and Carlube so Fantastic...

can you show me where carlubes exceeds the halfords brand one??

no problem, just have to go to argos first and buy 1 those chemistry sets for kids. should have all the stuff i need. oh, and then easons for a log book, very important for all the results

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Their Classic 20/w50 is good, and well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Their Classic 20/w50 is good, and well priced.

That's what I put in the Land Rover. I think ti is the cheapest oil you can buy round here too!

I miss ADSA oil.... 6 quid.

Are they in 4 or 5 litre containers? I usually find that most branded motor oils are supplied in 4 litre containers necessitating in having to buy more for tops.

The Total is 5 litres and Im not too sure about the Elf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

I got 5litres of Halfords 10w40 oil a couple weeks ago for €23 I think on special offer, cant really complain at a price like that. From researching it on the internet beforehand the consensus seems to be its at worst average oil.

no problem, just have to go to argos first and buy 1 those chemistry sets for kids. should have all the stuff i need. oh, and then easons for a log book, very important for all the results

no offence but you posted you already researched and looked into this...

you quote halfords as muck..
    all i am asking is for you to show me why its muck....
    and how carlube is better...
    i think that a reasonable request...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Bet you are sorry you posted that now. Can you show us the fantastic results from your honest car trade scientists while you are posting up the research results for the Halfords oil please?

• Advertisement

You´re a bit clueless aren´t you?

how about i just show you my genitals instead. no honestly i dont care what you ppl use. surely u must have more interesting issues in life than to request proof and results on sum1s statings of oil. im bored of this now

how about i just show you my genitals instead. no honestly i dont care what you ppl use. surely u must have more interesting issues in life than to request proof and results on sum1s statings of oil. im bored of this now

Here´s a better idea, Don´t claim something that´s a load of bullshít and then back off when you realise you don´t really know what you´re talking about and just assumed people would agree with you..eh?

ah lad dnt have a period, i came in here never takin it seriously, not lukin 4 ppls appoval. lol, man i never new how serious every1 tuk all this. i hope we dnt need to get jerry springer to sort this out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

si_guru wrote: »
    That's what I put in the Land Rover. I think ti is the cheapest oil you can buy round here too!

I miss ADSA oil.... 6 quid.

I used the ASDA oil for a few changes, on my own Merc, and me dads polo.
    However I noticed mayonnaise build up on the oil cap and rocker cover of both engines, so I stopped using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ah lad dnt have a period, i came in here never takin it seriously, not lukin 4 ppls appoval. lol, man i never new how serious every1 tuk all this. i hope we dnt need to get jerry springer to sort this out :rolleyes:

In fairness, if you make a claim that one oil is superior to another and can't back that up with anything firm then you're making yourself look a bit foolish.

Did you just say the Halford's stuff was muck simply because its Halford's or have you read something to say it's muck? People here are genuinely interested and if you have a link to something showing the Halford's stuff is poor quality or poorer than carlube then share it.

If it's just some vague opinion you have with no backup then that's just a bit silly really. :) No harm admitting that you were just shouting the odds with nothing to back it up, then we can move on. However if you can back it up, we'd genuinely love to see the proof because it informs our decisions when buying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

theshaft - please tone down both the language and the text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its pretty silly how most sell in 4L cans now. I was looking at castrol edge, €17 for the additional litre that I would need. I bought a 5L Mobil 1 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

mickdw wrote: »
    Its pretty silly how most sell in 4L cans now. I was looking at castrol edge, €17 for the additional litre that I would need. I bought a 5L Mobil 1 instead.

Tesco have/had Magnatec fully synth for around EUR11 for 2litres. Worked out alot cheaper than buying 4l bottles.

The problem with Halfords Oil is its way too expensive, there is minimal (to negative saving if the brands are on offer) difference. Id rather pay the very minimal extra for Mobil 1 or Castrol over Halfords or Comma or Esso for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

May I indulge and give you my experience of halfords oil.....we run a toyota vx landcruiser as a daily. It has a 4.2 diesel up front and needs its oil changed every 6k, (thats the reason why they go forever). I decided I'd put halfords own semi syn diesel oil in her, it nearly takes 12 litres so I decided to go cheap......by 5k I knew she was cryin for an oil change....what came out of the sump was like water.....halfors oil is desperate muck.....I put back in a branded semi syn 5-40....no compliants since.....avoid halfords own stuff, pure shoite and I've been around the block enought to know....

Advertisement