Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Anybody else notice that they have been painting all the hoarding on Patrick Street Black over the weekend to hide the obscenity of it.

Also some of the exposed wood surrounds have been painted as well to make the place look like there are shops there but just closed when you are looking at them.

Looks like they are not selling the place and just hiding the mess now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pushki wrote: »
    so Limerick boardsies, Do ye have any Limerick beers?
    The closest thing we have to a forum Beers is the weekly table quiz in O'Connell's. There are tentative plans for a craft beers pub crawl, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

We've had a few beers over the last year or two, generally small enough affairs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    What type of Aspall cyder did you try?

Have tried the Draught and the Cru, with the latter being lovely.

I think it was the Draught. I picked up a mix of different drinks that day (some bottles of Blue Moon, my first bottle of O'Hara's Leann Foláin as well) so it's hard to remember now! :p

Premier Cru is the best of the Aspall Cyders although being 7% ABV it can have a funny effect on you when you drink it as though you would a pint of Bulmers. :D

Aspall do a lovely Apple Juice as well but not for sale over here. I got my hands on a few litres. I have 3 left. Tesco do Aspall sauces and Chutneys but they don't buy the from an Irish company, they slip them in from the UK supplier. The Irish buyer doesn't want to know about Aspall "accessories" but does list Aspall Organic on the shelves.

Tesco are actually doing much better recently in the "Beers of the World" section in Coonagh. I just to laugh at it because all it had was Becks and Strongbow when I started shopping there. :D

I have a new beer called Forst http://www.forst.it/eng/forst/storia which should be winging its way around soon enough, I hope. :D I had a taste of it last week, room temperature and at 9:30am but It was very nice. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think it was the Draught. I picked up a mix of different drinks that day (some bottles of Blue Moon, my first bottle of O'Hara's Leann Foláin as well) so it's hard to remember now! :p

Am looking to try the organic one. If you liked the draught you should defo check out the Cru. Only problem is that you may never go back to the draught after it. :D

I have heard that the Organic is as nice as the Cru, and has a slightly scrumpy tang to it which defo appeals to me.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Premier Cru is the best of the Aspall Cyders although being 7% ABV it can have a funny effect on you when you drink it as though you would a pint of Bulmers. :D
    Aspall do a lovely Apple Juice as well but not for sale over here. I got my hands on a few litres. I have 3 left. Tesco do Aspall sauces and Chutneys but they don't buy the from an Irish company, they slip them in from the UK supplier. The Irish buyer doesn't want to know about Aspall "accessories" but does list Aspall Organic on the shelves.

The Organic is 7% as well unlike the 5% draught. Have not tried the Organic as of yet, but the Cru really is lovely.

I am used to many of the Devon ciders so prefer a cider (or cyder in the case of Aspall :)) around the 7% mark.

Scrumpy Jack is another in that alcohol % range that I am very fond of on tap. Hereford's finest.:D

:D I also do a 2ltr of Cider "Scrumpy Hornet Cider" 6% ABV and only €4.99 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Week 3 of my punches craft beer adventure and have to say they have a good range.

They have O Haras stout on draught. They have commissioned a a lager and ale from a brewery in Templemore both fairly drinkable and they have white gypsy ale like kilkenny but softer.

A good range of bottles as well avoid the "Old Engine Oil" stout not good the next day :P

Talking to the bartender they are getting a good reaction to the beers and will be getting more including hooker on draught and a printed menu.

Shame the main bar is souless thought but you can just go into the local section

Has anybody else noticed those bastard taxi drivers have infected William Street? Ever since the two lanes open they now occupy the left lane queuing to get into the rank!!! Fvcking dickheads. :mad:

Leaving an empty rank on Sarsfield Street. You rarely see taxis in that rank.

• Advertisement

Has anybody else noticed those bastard taxi drivers have infected William Street? Ever since the two lanes open they now occupy the left lane queuing to get into the rank!!! Fvcking dickheads. :mad:

Leaving an empty rank on Sarsfield Street. You rarely see taxis in that rank.

Yep and I have yet to see a garda move them on for illegally blocking a traffic lane. Have seen garda cars drive past them as they block the inside lane.:mad:

:D I also do a 2ltr of Cider "Scrumpy Hornet Cider" 6% ABV and only €4.99 :D

If it ain't got Jack after the Scrumpy then I ain't interested.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Voy

Yep and I have yet to see a garda move them on for illegally blocking a traffic lane. Have seen garda cars drive past them as they block the inside lane.:mad:

That's a bit of a joke. How are they getting away with that?

Voy wrote: »
    That's a bit of a joke. How are they getting away with that?

Same way they always get away with blocking lanes or extending their ranks by parking in nearby parking spaces without using a parking disc.

Illegal parking is fine it would seem if you have a taxi sign on the roof of the car.

Try parking a regular car in a space they deem to be one of their spaces and suddenly it will be an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Anybody else notice that they have been painting all the hoarding on Patrick Street Black over the weekend to hide the obscenity of it.

Also some of the exposed wood surrounds have been painted as well to make the place look like there are shops there but just closed when you are looking at them.

JP's Foundation is paying for it, just to try and clean the area up some bit.

Is that place just going to sit there rotting away, filling up with rats for the foreseeable future, or do they actually have any plans for it, or hopes even?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Is that place just going to sit there rotting away, filling up with rats for the foreseeable future, or do they actually have any plans for it, or hopes even?

when i win the euromillions I am buying it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

kilburn wrote: »
    when i win the euromillions I am buying it :p

I'd say if you won the local GAA club lotto you could buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I'd say if you won the local GAA club lotto you could buy it

12.5 million the site is now valued at

kilburn wrote: »
    12.5 million the site is now valued at

Yep it has made a massive loss in terms of what it cost, and in terms of the legal fees/other costs that it has somehow managed to incur.

At €12.5m it could make for a very savvy investment for someone.

There was/is a rumour that a person or persons who hasd their debt swallowed up by NAMA may be looking at purchasing the site and as such making a massive profit in terms of how his/her debts were reduced by NAMA and allowing him/her to purchase the site/property here in Limerick.

Similar to what has being going on at some of the property auctions in Dublin where developers got bailed out by NAMA on properties/projects, as reported by some of the national press, and then buying back the properties at reduced prices at the auctions using the funds they received for the propertirs by NAMA.

A lovely corrupt little setup that just about flies on the right side of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would make for a nice little estate for yourself right in the City Center!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would make for a nice little estate for yourself right in the City Center!

With the right money behind ya (and subject to PP of course) it is a perfect spot for a retail and entertainment wing of the city centre.

The money saved on the current value compared to it's original value would be a nice chunk towards getting the work done.

Hmmm the Euromillions should be around or over the €100m mark this Friday, may have to buy a ticket and run against Kilburn on this :D

It would be a great spot for a cinema/concert hall, just you know, to keep in mind in case you win!

It would be a great spot for a cinema/concert hall, just you know, to keep in mind in case you win!

It would indeed, but I also think that the old Dunnes Stores by Sarsfield bridge would be a great spot to have a cinema/entertainment venue/restaurant combo which could have it's lobbies/stairs etc overlooking the river.

Would also be a great spot for a small shopping centre with M&S along with some smaller retailers coupled with a multistory car park.

The old bank across from Brown Thomas or the old Dunnes across from Brown Thomas would make for another good cinema spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Speaking of failed construction projects, what was meant to be in the big development on the Dublin road, across from Aldi, next to TK Maxx, etc?

I heard something about an M&S and, weirdly, an ice-skating rink or something?

Of course it all fell through and we were left with a Channel 4 ident for about 4 years. :pac:

So was the M&S meant for the Opera project?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Speaking of failed construction projects, what was meant to be in the big development on the Dublin road, across from Aldi, next to TK Maxx, etc?

Of course it all fell through and we were left with a Channel 4 ident for about 4 years. :pac:

http://www.bannon.ie/easyedit/files/parkwayvalley.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Im home....dont all rush to say ye missed me... :)

That has gone to NAMA as the developer Liam Carroll says he has no money to pay the debts his companies ran up.

It was to have an ice rink,and a number of playing pitches as part of the sports complex that was to be part of it, as well as over 50 retail units and a few restuarants and takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Give over! If I won that money I would build myself a huge house there! It would be a grand aul spot!

• Advertisement

That has gone to NAMA as the developer Liam Carroll says he has no money to pay the debts his companies ran up.

It was to have an ice rink,and a number of playing pitches as part of the sports complex that was to be part of it, as well as over 50 retail units and a few restuarants and takeaways.

It's probably a good thing that didn't happen, would be like another crescent on the other side of the city stopping people from coming in to the city centre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement