Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do the gardai only drive certain brands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I can confirm that Donnybrook Garda station's drugs squad used to have a Hyundai Accent.

They loved it as they could drive right up to the dealers and arrest them before they even noticed what was going on. I was in it before (not for misbehaviour :p). They said it was good for chases on narrow streets as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

they use to have an avensis and a yaris marked in roscrea. now they have a mondeo and a fiesta!! also a silver/gray unmarked corolla hatch.

around portlaoise there is the usual selection of unmarked mondeos. they use to have one of them v6's in bright red.. they have a silver 3 series unmarked now. also a red focus saloon unmarked

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Regardless of what make they drive there is a contradiction in seeing a car with Garda written on it and two Gardai inside. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not the ones they dont want you to see.

and these would'nt be pulling you for speeding anyway.

Invisible cop cars that won't pull you over. Good to see tax payers money being put to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

squod wrote: »
    They had a couple of petrol Forresters aswell.
    fast fecking yokes
    i was tipping along one, probably doing between 80 an 120 on some fastish back roads when i saw one come up behind me a a serious rate seemed to have more important things on thier minds

also this thrtead lists an octo rs a 525 a 530d and some more

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showthread.php?p=3259574

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Anyone know if the Gardaí are still buying cars and putting them straight into storage to depreciate?

300 garda cars left idle for over a year

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    There was an unmarked IS200 and an unmarked Alfa 156 in Sligo, never got beside the 156 to see what engine it had though. Doubt it was one of the V6's, but you never know!

the dark blue 156 was a v6 alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Invisible cop cars that won't pull you over. Good to see tax payers money being put to good use.

You really want to see every garda resource devoted to speed traps and traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

R.O.R wrote: »
    Saw an unmarked 530d around the airport a while ago.

Silver?

Saw one flying up the N7 one day. Never thought I'd see an unmarked BMW here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

We need a few Crown Vic's and Charger R/T's! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

As well as the extra set of "indicator" lights on the front. I'd classify those cars as "partially marked" rather than "unmarked." They mightn't have "GARDA" written in big writing across them, but they've got enough other tell-tales to indicate they are cop cars.

I had a job to do in garda headquarters recently and spotted a 07 silver mondeo (last shape) with no aerials on the roof other than usual ford one, blacked out windows and a camera on front dash and rear shelf. The blacked out windows made them really hard to spot. The strobes on the front dash were lowered than normal, again making them harder to spot. The blue flashers were mounted inside the front headlight system. It did'nt spot any others like it (prototype perhaps ?)

The same car happened to be behind me in traffic at the junction of naas road and long mile road a few days later. The blacked out rear window made it very hard to spot the camera systems.

If that is the future of unmarked traffic cars then we are all in for heavy points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

Silver?

Saw one flying up the N7 one day. Never thought I'd see an unmarked BMW here :pac:

Silver unmarked 318i with short aerial on boot on the N7 close to portlaoise every day. 5 series seems to be reserved for moving foreign dignitaries around.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

Corolla twin cam cop car

357-8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I used to work for a dealer that did a lot of work for the guards in the Phoenix park. I used to have to collect them and bring them to the garage and man I tell you , never think you can always spot a Garda car. I got some wake up call when I saw what they used as under cover , not un-marked but true under cover cars.

Now this was about 10 yeárs ago but they had VW Passats , Hyundai Sonatas , Citroen Xantias , Pug 309 :eek::D . There was a Lite Ace camper kinda thing with more holes in it than a tea bag for camera equipment. Another similar Vanette , the list goes on and on.

Also to throw the bad guys off the trail , we'd always have to charge things to the chassis number rather than the reg because they used to change the reg numbers around. The cars would be decked out like Joe public cars with child seats , stickers in the window , dud insuránce certs , rubbish on the back seat. I tell you lads , never pressume you know its a Garda car........although the big mothers milk culchie head from somewhere in the bog , slouching in the drivers seat wearing a gammy leather jacket while holding on to the grab handle is far more of a giveaway :D:D:D

trackcar wrote: »
    Corolla twin cam cop car

357-8.jpg

is that real?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Einhard wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it slightly odd, disturbing even, that the first car is being used for advertising? It's not a bloody taxi ffs!

Um, the "www.tipperaryphotos.com" was added to the photo -it's not actually on the car ;). It's just a watermark of the site that took/hosts the photo.

For instance, this Coast Guard car doesn't actually have "www.tipperaryphotos.com" plastered across the widscreen:

aa1-32.jpg

More pics here: http://www.tipperaryphotos.com/Emergency-Services-Page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I have to agree with you SAAB-ED.

I heard of an old guy reversing out of his driveway and clipping a builders van parked by the side of the road. Nobody was around so he drove off and thought nothing more of it until he was approached a couple of weeks later on his driveway by the boys in blue.

The wreck of a builders van he hit was an undercover van and they couldn't get out to him or they would blow their cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I saw an unmarked CLS-Class Merc one day on the N7 just after Rathcoole. he had some other driver pulled in and was taking his details for whatever reason. It had the blue flashing lights in the rear and front windows too so it was definetly the Gardai!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

That'd be someone putting a "watermark" on the pic.

Er, yes, I knew that. Ha, ha, watermark...you'd want to be an idiot not to know that!

Runs off and hides...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chilloutman

cause there absolute ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

Remember being at Merlin car auctions couple years ago and lot of various ex-garda cars.
    Jaysus they were really thrashed inside and out,don't know who'd want one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

cause there absolute ****

No need for that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Helium wrote: »
    Remember being at Merlin car auctions couple years ago and lot of various ex-garda cars.
    Jaysus they were really thrashed inside and out,don't know who'd want one though.

I know the type - but cant say for fear of being banned or called a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The blue light tech. is coming on in leaps and bounds, Seen some of the new prision service bus's. There is a small blue coil about 2cm tall in the base of the headlights. Thats it, no other lights, and for something that small they are bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tigger wrote: »
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    There was an unmarked IS200 and an unmarked Alfa 156 in Sligo, never got beside the 156 to see what engine it had though. Doubt it was one of the V6's, but you never know!
    the dark blue 156 was a v6 alright

They absolutely made ****e of that car

they liked it alright
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Tigger wrote: »
    is that real?

I'd say its photoshop job mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

They absolutely made ****e of that car
    hmm believe I saw that car in a breakers in south kilkenny a few hours after it came in. Had a bad smash not far from templemore when a trainee gaurd ran out of talent and smacked a mondeo of all things

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shanemc1

33ohah4.jpg

My old wagon, came from the mean streets of New York, sold it last Christmas now patrol's the mean streets of Waterford! On a separate note Gardai are inviting tenders for 300 new cars http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUN157235&catID=66 Mainly all diesel car's there looking for interestingly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Another one for Limerick, was in front of me today in Dooradoyle. Unmarked light blue Focus saloon 06 - D

Advertisement