Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do the gardai only drive certain brands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

squod wrote: »
    They had a couple of petrol Forresters aswell.

They had about 20 Forrester 2.0T's. Early 2006 D reg's in Silver, Blue and Red.

Haven't seen one for a while, but I saw them all parked up in 06 waiting for fit out.

Saw an unmarked 530d around the airport a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

paulhannon wrote: »
    that a serious question?

yes, I was going to ask exactly the same.

There's also an undercover grey 3 series around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Just some that I've seen:

A undercover e30 in Midleton. Was in traffic when it pulled out a few cars behind me and took off!!!!!
    A evo 8, i think, could be mistaken, around Port Laoise....
    An octavia VRS on the south link in cork...
    But my favourite was an AE86 Corolla at the rally of the lakes!!!

and the usual Focus/ Mondeo/ Vectra's

Thoso Volvo's for the ARU are unbelieveably quick though, saw one in full flight on the south link in cork once, what ya reackon they running??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

there's some 3.0 v6 mondeos in Traffic Corps aswell

There not even all Traffic Corp, used to spend time in a ford dealership that supplied them....they were pure sleepers and no wat of knowing if the AGS were driving that or the normal 1.8....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I've often passed 8 or 9 of those Volvos going to and coming from work. I work in Templemore so when I'm going there, these Volvos are leaving and vice versa. No idea where they are going to though.

Also, AGS have unmarked Opel Vectras down here. I've also seen 02/03 Citroen C5's used as unmarked cars following lads speeding around Templemore. They think nothing of a Citroen C5 until the blue lights start flashing in the grille :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There was an unmarked IS200 and an unmarked Alfa 156 in Sligo, never got beside the 156 to see what engine it had though. Doubt it was one of the V6's, but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Unmarked Corrolla in Clontarf :D

Also watch out on three lane part of N7 - there are unmarked BMW's on patrol

But mostly Mondeo's/Avensii

There is a Fiat Garda Van in Limerick.

Mc Love wrote: »
    There is a Fiat Garda Van in Limerick.

Along with a marked Toyota Yaris :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    and an unmarked Alfa 156 in Sligo, never got beside the 156 to see what engine it had though. Doubt it was one of the V6's, but you never know!

Ah a police force with style. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It doesn't matter if they are unmarked or not. You can always spot them. I drive a bike myself and I'm sitting at a height where I can see the dash etc of every car clearly.

You can see the extra stuff on the dash, the little strobe lights on the rear window etc.

Then of course there are the tell tail aerials on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just some that I've seen:
    An octavia VRS on the south link in cork...

Color and more details please so as I can ensure I don't take it on when I get my one :D

Dark Grey Vectra 150 Turbo Diesel here

vectra wrote: »
    Color and more details please so as I can ensure I don't take it on when I get my one :D

Dark Grey Vectra 150 Turbo Diesel here

Red, maybe 08...passed me while I was on one of my slow days....just caught my eye in the mirror and looked as it was going past and saw 2 tell-tale blue shirts but was very discreet....more undercover than unmarked I'd say

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There's a big difference between 'unmarked' and 'undercover' cars, with the latter being very hard to spot and more than likely not to be too bothered by your driving antics (unless of course your doing a drive-by).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

There are a few marked and unmarked Landcruisers around.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

I'm just saying it was around!! and a buddy who is with AGS once told me that they often have got undercover cars that were no longer of any undercover use( i.e. they were too well known) released for them to be used as unmarked cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jock101 wrote: »
    Ah no, things arent that bad here with the recession. When we have to buy Fiats! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:eek:

It's nothing to do with 'recession' :rolleyes:....it's down to price and reliability.

If that Limerick Saab is a diesel, it's a Fiat engine too, remember...........

...and the AA rescues you in a Fiat too, btw........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

KTRIC wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if they are unmarked or not. You can always spot them. I drive a bike myself and I'm sitting at a height where I can see the dash etc of every car clearly.

You can see the extra stuff on the dash, the little strobe lights on the rear window etc.

Don't forget the tell tail big garda heads staring out the window:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Gardai cars are all the same make othewise they'd have to be retrained everyday... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Along with a marked Toyota Yaris :D

I p1ssed myself laughing when I saw one of those.

• Advertisement

bongi69 wrote: »

As did I and 3 friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

I've seen 2 unmarked fiestas one in red in Ringsend and a black one on the Malahide road. Have also sen an unmarked focus hatchback on the M2.

Well lads I think we can be sure we won't see the boys in blue driving M3s, M5s, Porsches and Lambos anytime soon :D

also i seen a unmarked blue Subaru 4x4 not sure the model though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bongi69 wrote: »
    As did I and 3 friends!
    Different cars are used for different things. Would you really rather the state spend more of your money on bigger cars where they're not necessary? I know I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Well lads I think we can be sure we won't see the boys in blue driving M3s, M5s, Porsches and Lambos anytime soon :D

Imagine the carnage the Irish boyos would do with them cars. There'd be photos like this out every day:D
    lamborghini-gallardo-patrol-car1--701822.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jock101 wrote: »
    Ah no, things arent that bad here with the recession. When we have to buy Fiats! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:eek:

They have been driving Fiat Ducatos for quite a while now, I would put them before any MK6 or MK7 Ford Transit.

p1140743.jpg

mooman wrote: »
    Imagine the carnage the Irish boyos would do with them cars. There'd be photos like this out every day:D
    lamborghini-gallardo-patrol-car1--701822.jpg

Haha very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Anan1 wrote: »
    Different cars are used for different things. Would you really rather the state spend more of your money on bigger cars where they're not necessary? I know I wouldn't.

Yes I know that.. I kinda assumed that they wouldn't be chasing boyos in their glanza's around, but would probably use them to get from one station to another/coffee shop/chipper.

Still was funny though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

KTRIC wrote: »

As well as the extra set of "indicator" lights on the front. I'd classify those cars as "partially marked" rather than "unmarked." They mightn't have "GARDA" written in big writing across them, but they've got enough other tell-tales to indicate they are cop cars.

Advertisement