Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do the gardai only drive certain brands

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that the State only supply's thr Gardai with certain brands of car, mainly Fords and Toyota's. Rarely other brands. I have seen the Kildare section driving KIA 4WD's. Why is this the case? Also all unmarked cars in Dublin tend to be Fords Mondeo's or the the Focus, and they stand out like sore thumbs!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

They buy them in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

They buy them in bulk.

Yeah, but why not Honda, Opel, Volvo etc... and why no performance cars like BMW's for the Traffic boyo's, like they have in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

jock101 wrote: »
    Yeah, but why not Honda, Opel, Volvo etc... and why no performance cars like BMW's for the Traffic boyo's, like they have in the UK.

Oh they have other cars, don't you worry about that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ya can still spot them from a mile away though.

Oh they have other cars, don't you worry about that :P

Really, the best unmarked car I ever saw pulling over a speeder was a Volvo S60. I know the leech's in the Dail are driven by gardai in S Class Merc's, 7 Series BMW's and Audi A8's, but thats not the same thing!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Few of these bad boy's down here! :D

3469446684_8aa3655bd1.jpg

garad2_201764t.jpg

shaaane wrote: »

Well the ARU boyo's would need them in Limerick thesedays! Especially with the arsenal they carry in the back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

hunter164 wrote: »

Not the ones they dont want you to see.

and these would'nt be pulling you for speeding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

hunter164 wrote: »

Not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

garad2_201764t.jpg

Does anyone else find it slightly odd, disturbing even, that the first car is being used for advertising? It's not a bloody taxi ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Stekelly wrote: »

Well they're the ones I'm talking about.

What MI5 Paddy, dont make me laugh! The D reg car with 3 or more aerials, and the cut of the driver. Plus the flasher lights not discreatly hidden always stand out to me!:rolleyes:

dscd1065.jpg

Spotted 1 of these recently here too
    dscd0899.jpg

dscd1065.jpg

You Limerick Boyo's seem to have all the fancy cars. Never seen a Garda Saab over here in Da Capital.;)

dscd0899.jpg

Ah no, things arent that bad here with the recession. When we have to buy Fiats! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:eek:

You Limerick Boyo's seem to have all the fancy cars. Never seen a Garda Saab over here in Da Capital.;)

never actually seen this before, just came across it on http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/ireland/garda1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ah no, things arent that bad here with the recession. When we have to buy Fiats! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:eek:

Jesus , you could open your eyes before making your silly attempts at humour (I'm assuming thats what all your motors posts are). The car is clearly an 06.

These examples are only exemptions to the rule. Generally Fords or Avensis's.:) Well on the mean streets of Dumplin?;)

Jesus , you could open your eyes before making your silly attempts at humour (I'm assuming thats what all your motors posts are). The car is clearly an 06.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What MI5 Paddy, dont make me laugh! The D reg car with 3 or more aerials, and the cut of the driver. Plus the flasher lights not discreatly hidden always stand out to me!:rolleyes:

I think Stekelly is talking about undercover rather than unmarked. Hence the "they wouldn't pull you for speeding anyway"

I've heard they have plenty of decent unmarked cars, which circulate around the place... I've also heard they have an Evo for Rally of the Lakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Theres an unmarked Lexus around Kildare...

shinikins wrote: »
    Theres an unmarked Lexus around Kildare...

Are you sure its not just the Local Superintendent's private car, I believe them boyo's are on close to 150k a year. Recession, not for some!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Are you sure its not just the Local Superintendent's private car, I believe them boyo's are on close to 150k a year. Recession, not for some!:rolleyes:

Nope, he has a top of the range 4X4!! Its an unmarked, you often see it screaming down the road in pursuit of hot coffee and takeaway dinners...errrr i mean "official Garda business".....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Einhard wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it slightly odd, disturbing even, that the first car is being used for advertising? It's not a bloody taxi ffs!

that a serious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Einhard wrote: »

That'd be someone putting a "watermark" on the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

dscd0588.jpg

Why not these anymore? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

dscd0899.jpg

I saw one of these unmarked last week, very discreetly unmarked, the only reason I noticed was because I was cycling beside it. No extra areals and only really small flashy lights on the side, I assumed it was probably a customs car because dont they work in teams for catching VRT fraud and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

They had a couple of petrol Forresters aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

The most common is the Mark 2 Mondeo. But over the last few years there has been a good selection of different makes and models been bought. Unlike the day of the Ford sierra and fiesta , in one colour even for undercover models. I have seen many different types , such as Toyota Hilux (traffic corp) Izuzu Trooper, Ford galaxy all marked units, as for unmarked, Berlingo's Renault Traffic vans ,Izuzu Trooper, Fiat punto. and thats what I can remember.

Advertisement