Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Motorway Users!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I was working on the M50 (just after Lucan southbound) while the four lanes were being built. Only two lanes open and the rest coned off, I was inside the cones (night time) with a crash cushion vechicle between myself and the traffic and a motorist stops in the inside lane and gets out to ask me directions (leaving the wife in the car) needless to say I got him back to his car asap and told him to get out of the lane before he killed somebody else and himself, he was not the only one to stop!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I totally understand why you'd do that Dr. but if a cop caught you.........

I know and thankfully the really bad lanehoggers round my area seem to have gone.
    There where many, mostly auld fearmers who noticed that they couldn't hold people up anymore by doing 40 mp/h on the motorway because there being an extra lane, so they simply moved into the outside lane and suddenly everyone had to queue behind them again (seriously, I think farmers get a kick out of holding people up and I will never believe otherwise) but this phenomenon seems to have almost disappeared and over the last 1-2 years things seem to be going grand.
    Don't know why, they must have gotten pulled over and warned by the cops, wiped out by Beemers going 200+ or simply bullied off the road (not just by me) or, thankfully, retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I'm still amazed how so many contributors think the max speed of traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is limited by the speed of traffic to your right.

If your lane is clear, and you are travelling within the speed limits, there is no legal impediment to you proceeding in your current lane. You are not forbidden to pass a vehicle on your Right, if it is proceeding at a slower rate than you.

If you are in a lane, with a clear path ahead of you, and a vehicle on your Right is slower than you, you may proceed. It is the vehicle on your Right that is breaking the Law, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gophur wrote: »
    I'm still amazed how so many contributors think the max speed of traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is limited by the speed of traffic to your right.

If your lane is clear, and you are travelling within the speed limits, there is no legal impediment to you proceeding in your current lane. You are not forbidden to pass a vehicle on your Right, if it is proceeding at a slower rate than you.

If you are in a lane, with a clear path ahead of you, and a vehicle on your Right is slower than you, you may proceed. It is the vehicle on your Right that is breaking the Law, not you.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

wrong answer

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »

The only part of your quote which references two lanes is
    ( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

Now, it has been done to death, but the word "slow" is not defined.

I have sought clarification, from the Garda Press office, and was informed it is perfectly acceptable to proceed in your own lane, if the traffic on your Right is travelling at a slower speed.

I have travelled the M1 many times. It is singularly the worst road in Ireland for RH lane hoggers, with the LH lane, frequently empty. Are you telling us that, to drive on this road, one must drive in single file on the RH lane, as it is supposedly forbidden to pass on the left?
    Or, at what speed can one drive in the LH lane, faster than the Right lane?

The Net is full of keyboard solicitors, but can anyone point one single instance of a motorist being convicted of violating S.I. No. 182/1997:
    ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997 (The statute quoted as being relevant here) ?

It really is no wonder the Motorways are full of clowns in the RH lane, as it appears 99% of them are afraid their masculinity, or something, will be eroded if they move left. Until then, I'll keep Left at all times, but will not have my maximum speed governed by the traffic in the RH lane.

Now, it has been done to death, but the word "slow" is not defined.
    No it's not, but do you really think 120km/h qualifies as 'slow'?
    It really is no wonder the Motorways are full of clowns in the RH lane, as it appears 99% of them are afraid their masculinity, or something, will be eroded if they move left. Until then, I'll keep Left at all times, but will not have my maximum speed governed by the traffic in the RH lane.
    You're confusing sensible with legal. I undertake myself, but I don't kid myself that it's not illegal.

Not at all. My point being the word "slow" is not defined, therefore that section has to be so ambiguous as to be unusable in a Court of Law.

You're confusing sensible with legal. I undertake myself, but I don't kid myself that it's not illegal.

My interpretation is the practise of staying in one's lane is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

... and your interpretation isn't worth squat in a courtroom, where the judge will ask the arresting Garda what speed you were doing, be it 80kph, 90kph or 120kph and he'll throw the book at you.

This has been discussed ten times over in this thread alone and you are completely wrong.

Slow is slow moving traffic where it would be impossible not to undertake without holding up the entire motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

when this thread was entitled "stupid motorway users"...no, i can't go there, i'll get an infraction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

This post is the definition of information fail.

Read the relevant RTA and come back to the forum, and admit where you went wrong. I also reccomend you watch out for traffic corps if you opt to follow your interpretation (a misinformed one) of the RTA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The "slow moving" definition hasn't been translated into a speed per se, but I reckon we all know (cops and judges included) what it really means. The UK Highway Code goes a little further and uses the term "congestion" btw.

My take on that would be stop/start traffic, where it's difficult/impractical to stay slower than outside lanes. 1st or 2nd gear stuff at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Recently I had to drive to Camolin from Dublin, it was the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday weekend. Coming up near the Arklow bypass there was an overtaking lane hogger in a Micra holding up the whole show. Lots of cars had to pass her in the inside lane, when I got my turn, I had a quick glance in to the car to see what the story was. She was yapping away to the boyfriend, oblivious to the Mr Magoo style carnage she was leaving in her wake.

Anyway on we went about our business and on to the Gorey bypass, a lovely stretch of road and usually very clear of any congestion. The road is long and straight and just as I was approaching the roundabout where the bypass ends at the edge of Camolin and I glanced in my rear view mirror and who do I see on the horizon, the only car on the road for half a mile, still in the overtaking lane, bumbling along well under the 120kmph limit allowed for on this stretch of Motorway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Recently I had to drive to Camolin from Dublin, it was the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday weekend. Coming up near the Arklow bypass there was an overtaking lane hogger in a Micra holding up the whole show. Lots of cars had to pass her in the inside lane, when I got my turn, I had a quick glance in to the car to see what the story was. She was yapping away to the boyfriend, oblivious to the Mr Magoo style carnage she was leaving in her wake.

Anyway on we went about our business and on to the Gorey bypass, a lovely stretch of road and usually very clear of any congestion. The road is long and straight and just as I was approaching the roundabout where the bypass ends at the edge of Camolin and I glanced in my rear view mirror and who do I see on the horizon, the only car on the road for half a mile, still in the overtaking lane, bumbling along well under the 120kmph limit allowed for on this stretch of Motorway!

next time after passing her pull out in front of her (safe distance of course) and GENTLY slow down till she gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yes. Even when you are standing still ,the planet is going at 108,000kph in its orbit. So in comparison :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

next time after passing her pull out in front of her (safe distance of course) and GENTLY slow down
    I consider that dangerous driving, by deliberately causing others to change their driving without a safety reason (i.e. slow down for traffic in front of you.) just because you are disgusted/annoyed with their driving skills. Report them to the Gardai Traffic Corps (It is their Job) and if you get no where with them, then complain to you TD's excessively about the cost of building new roads and about these over lane hoggers who are causing Traffic chaos and are denying the public from their benefits of multi-lane roads.
    till she gets it.
    You are under the assumption that this driver who hogs the overtaking lane who are oblivious to what they are doing will get anything:rolleyes:. If they were aware of the rules of the Road then they would not be there in the overtaking lane in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

yes. Even when you are standing still ,the planet is going at 108,000kph in its orbit. So in comparison :pac::pac::pac:
    If a Judge/Gardai ask you, Were you aware that you are travelling above the Speed limit? Tell them I am currently travelling well above that.
    I am Travelling 108,000kph in orbit of the sun by talking to you. :D

Don't forget the Sun is Travelling around the Galaxy (782,000 km/h) and the Galaxy is Travelling through the Universe also at speed (552 km/s) 1,987,200km/h. Huge debate at that speed, some say you are constantly accelerating as the universe expands. Who know where the Universe is Travelling at:o

edit: I forgot to mention that the Earth spins at 1669.8 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

Coming down the M18 this morning and doing about 120km in left. Few cars like usual sitting in the right doin same aswell. Pass a car on left doin approx 100 then pull back in left again and sit at 120. Up ahead a car doing approx 50 60 km making me have to brake pretty hard to ease to her speed as iv been blocked in the lane by hoggers in the right. I really dont get how these people are on motorways. Everyone had to take action to avoid her and it was causing a big nuisance and danger to all traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

This morning and just as I approached the point where the two motorways join, I was on the M7 and this clown in a Kia jeep of some kind is merging from the M9. I glance across and he's reading something from a piece of paper he's resting on the steering wheel.
    Cue some hand gestures from me and he waves back at me before eventually realising what he's doing and putting down the paper. He never got close enough to get his reg cos it would have been one for the Gardai 1890 number. So dangerous at the speed he was doing (must have been 120 kph).

Mr Magners wrote: »
    This morning and just as I approached the point where the two motorways join, I was on the M7 and this clown in a Kia jeep of some kind is merging from the M9. I glance across and he's reading something from a piece of paper he's resting on the steering wheel.
    Cue some hand gestures from me and he waves back at me before eventually realising what he's doing and putting down the paper. He never got close enough to get his reg cos it would have been one for the Gardai 1890 number. So dangerous at the speed he was doing (must have been 120 kph).

maybe he was reading directions, whats wrong with that.
    Drive in Dublin someday, every second bus driver has a book or newspaper or something on the wheel :D

• Advertisement

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Would that actually achieve anything though? Is anything done when people report other motorists? Id doubt it, in most cases it would be your word against theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

He is correct.

Overtaking and undertaking are both manoeuvres, What he is talking about is not a manoeuvre as he is not altering his road position or changing lane to pass a vehicle,he is proceeding in his lane unhindered. The fact that he passes a car that is in the outside lane is irrelevant, as he is not altering his road position in any way that would constitute a manoeuvre of any sort to do this.

hobochris wrote: »
    He is correct.

Overtaking and undertaking are both manoeuvres, What he is talking about is not a manoeuvre as he is not altering his road position or changing lane to pass a vehicle,he is proceeding in his lane unhindered. The fact that he passes a car that is in the outside lane is irrelevant, as he is not altering his road position in any way that would constitute a manoeuvre of any sort to do this.
    Actually that is a good point.

Thats the way I drive now anyway, stay left, and if theres a lane hogger in the overtaking lane, I pass on the left without altering my lane position). I always assumed it was illegal to undertake, given the wording of the RTA, but technically it may not be?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Actually that is a good point.

Thats the way I drive now anyway, stay left, and if theres a lane hogger in the overtaking lane, I pass on the left without altering my lane position). I always assumed it was illegal to undertake, given the wording of the RTA, but technically it may not be?

No that's still undertaking, so therefore illegal.

hobochris wrote: »
    He is correct.

That is a very subjective viewpoint though. While you may believe you are correct the Gardai and Courts won't see it like this I'd imagine

No that's still undertaking, so therefore illegal.
    As I said, i know it is (or seems to be)

But I was querying the interpretation expressed in the post above mine

Another issue re "undertaking", are taxi drivers allowed to undertake in the bus lane (not in traffic)

Another issue re "undertaking", are taxi drivers allowed to undertake in the bus lane (not in traffic)
    I remember reading somewhere that the bus lane (when in use) is classified as a separate road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Northbound on the M50 around Firhouse this morning - I moved into Lane 2 to overtake a bin lorry. Clear road ahead of him in Lane 1 and not at a merge or anything, out he pulls in front of me. Overtook him, and moved back into Lane 1, see him follow me back into Lane 1 in my mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

What?! Ya means taxis are moonlighting ferrying dead bodies about?! Creepy!
    :D

Advertisement