Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Motorway Users!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hermit07 wrote: »
    Any time I'm on the M50, everyone thinks its ok to overtake on the left or even if they dont think its ok, they do it anyway.:(

I've never travelled on the M50 ( I do so almost evveryday in all types of traffic density from gridlock to none) without theres being cars in the middle lane doing 10kmph or so below the limit . These people need to be dealt with much more than people overtaking (slowly) on the left while travelling at the speed limit.

You should not be able to overtake anyone while in the driving lane at the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I am doing the speed limit and am in the correct lane and yet there is a huge amount of cars passing me in the very left lane, (lane used for coming off m50) This I take it is undertaking?:confused:

Now yep in the middle lane I often see trucks, buses etc hogging the road.

And I often find I have to brake because there are cars joining the m50 at half the speed of everyone on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

most Irish people can't use a motorway, roundabout, traffic lights or a road for that matter:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I am doing the speed limit and am in the correct lane and yet there is a huge amount of cars passing me in the very left lane, (lane used for coming off m50) This I take it is undertaking?:confused:

It depends, If they were in the left lane all along, they are just continuing on in their lane which they have right of way in (without lane changing manoeuvre).

If they manoeuvre into the inside lane(i.e. change lanes) for the purpose of getting round you that is undertaking.

either way if someone is passing you on the left on a multi lane carriageway your in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Oh god you are the kind of driver that drives me mad! Thinking, "I'm doing 120k so I will sit on the overtaking lane for miles". If you want to do 120k, get in the left lane and stop being so pretentious

Now yep in the middle lane I often see trucks, buses etc hogging the road.

And I often find I have to brake because there are cars joining the m50 at half the speed of everyone on it.

• Advertisement

sealgaire wrote: »
    Oh god you are the kind of driver that drives me mad! Thinking, "I'm doing 120k so I will sit on the overtaking lane for miles". If you want to do 120k, get in the left lane and stop being so pretentious

ahem and you are type of person who drives me mad.... just assuming. Now where did I mention I am in the overtaking lane?????? I said I drive in the correct lane which is the left lane. Please get your facts right before assuming thank you very much........:mad:

ahem and you are type of person who drives me mad.... just assuming. Now where did I mention I am in the overtaking lane?????? I said I drive in the correct lane which is the left lane. Please get your facts right before assuming thank you very much........:mad:
    From you description, It sounds like you are in the wrong lane.

| | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    |1|2 |3|

1. lane 1 is the driving lane where all vehicles should be when not overtaking.

2 .lane 2 is the primary overtaking lane where you may over take traffic in lane 1 and then return to lane one.

3. lane 3 is the secondary overtaking lane where you may overtake traffic in lane 2 that is currently overtaking traffic in lane 1. once your overtake is complete you should return to lane 2 and then to lane 1.

From your description you were in lane 2 or 3, not lane 1 the driving lane, unless of course you were undertaken via the hard shoulder.

hobochris wrote: »

| | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    |1|2 |3|

2 .lane 2 is the primary overtaking lane where you may over take traffic in lane 1 and then return to lane one.

3. lane 3 is the secondary overtaking lane where you may overtake traffic in lane 2 that is current overtaking traffic in lane 1. once you overtake is complete you should return to lane 2 and then to lane 1.

From you description you were in lane 2 or 3, not lane 1 the driving lane, unless of course you were undertaken via the hard shoulder.

Thanks I am driving in Lane one, the others are undertaking in the hard shoulder (hence I mentioned the lane coming off the M50) I hope I have this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

| | | |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    |1 |2 | 3|

3. lane 3 is the secondary overtaking lane where you may overtake traffic in lane 2 that is current overtaking traffic in lane 1. once you overtake is complete you should return to lane 2 and then to lane 1.

From you description you were in lane 2 or 3, not lane 1 the driving lane, unless of course you were undertaken via the hard shoulder.

The M50 has a lane to the left of lane 1, which is a slip road between junctions.

It sounds like Hermit 07 is in the correct lane for driving, but is getting passed by people either entering or leaving the Motorway.

The slip road isn't part of the main carriageway so people can go faster in that lane than lane 1 - presuming they stay under the speed limit of course ;)

Thanks I am driving in Lane one, the others are undertaking in the hard shoulder (hence I mentioned the lane coming off the M50) I hope I have this right?

So they are undertaking in on the slip road, then they are definitely in the wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I think the problem arises with the signs & road markings where its implied, for instance, staying in lane 2 on the way into dublin on the n6 there if your heading to the city centre. & similar situations on the m50.

I.e. do the signs in this situation overrule the rule to always keep left?!

So they are undertaking in on the slip road, then they are definitely in the wrong.

Yep they are undertaking on the slip road, not just one or two but just about everyone! Is this still wrong if it is on the slip road?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bmw3d

driving on the m1 one sunday, road very quiet, ahead i could see car driving in passing out lane, caught up behind him, pulled into passing out lane [ as rules of the road state ] and left on right indicator to let him know i wanted to pass him. one mile later he is still sitting there like a fooking idiot. so i flash my lights at him, he then hysterically waves at me to pass him up the inside, as we had passed no cars during this whole episode and none were in sight i pull up beside him on inside and wave pink license at him and shake my head. dont think he knew what i meant.
    anyway these sort of people should not be on the roads if they dont know how to use them. IDIOTS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I nearly shuffled off this mortal coil earlier this evening thanks to the incredible stupidity of some muppet driving a sh1tty old blue Rover with stickers of flowers on its boot.
    On the M50 at about 5.30ish coming up to the exit for the N3/blanchardstown, I was driving onwards to the next exit and I was in the left hand lane. The exit lane was to my left and there were 2 overtaking lanes to my right. The exit lane was backed up about 400 mtrs from the exit ramp, not moving as drivers q'd to leave the motorway. The guy in front of me drove on for about 100 mtrs past the last point in the que and then, incredibly, Stopped dead, flicked on his indicator to leave the motorway. I hit the anchors and turned on my hazard lights - I wasn't too close to the guy - but the articulated lorry behind me was rather close and not expecting this and had to shift into the overtaking lane fairly sharpish, missing my now almost stationary car by a hairs breadth (imo!) I nearly soiled myself.
    This kind of thing happens often at this exit.
    I reckon its only a matter of time before theres a big smash.
    When i got home I told my mrs what happened and she couldnt believe that someone would stop on a motorway, but i swear its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

bmw3d wrote: »
    driving on the m1 one sunday, road very quiet, ahead i could see car driving in passing out lane, caught up behind him, pulled into passing out lane [ as rules of the road state ] and left on right indicator to let him know i wanted to pass him. one mile later he is still sitting there like a fooking idiot. so i flash my lights at him, he then hysterically waves at me to pass him up the inside, as we had passed no cars during this whole episode and none were in sight i pull up beside him on inside and wave pink license at him and shake my head. dont think he knew what i meant.
    anyway these sort of people should not be on the roads if they dont know how to use them. IDIOTS

Funny, this very same thing happened me a few weeks ago on the M1. It actually makes the likes of us look like idiots for driving up behind the other driver in the driving lane when there isnt anyone for half a mile in any direction, and then pulling in behind the gimp in the overtaking lane to try and get past them.

They probably think they're being bullied and refuse even more-so to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Funny, this very same thing happened me a few weeks ago on the M1. It actually makes the likes of us look like idiots for driving up behind the other driver in the driving lane when there isnt anyone for half a mile in any direction, and then pulling in behind the gimp in the overtaking lane to try and get past them.

They probably think they're being bullied and refuse even more-so to move!

Dare I bring this into a stupid people of all roads but I had a cracker today.

Single carriage way (on the way to a motorway ;):p ) in a line of cars. The first car is on the speed limit for the most part. Speed limit is 80. Im the 4th of 5th car in the line so I put my posh new cruise control and keep about 3 or 4 seconds back since there was no point keeping close. No overtaking opportunities and there would be too many cars.
    "Friendly" driver in a merc trying to play the big german exec car card stays well back, accelerates hard and weaves from one side of the lane to the other a few times.

He gets so close at one point I flash my rear fogs and Ive never seen such hysterics in my life. More emotion then if Ireland beat France in the World cup final. I wasnt varying my speed. 80kph on cruise and if anything I was gaining on them overall.

We get to the motorway and he doesnt go near 110kph so I dont know why he bothered.

Mini rant over.

Actually, on the M4 today and I have to say hardly any silliness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Is flashing someone in the overtaking lane acceptable to "Encourage" them to move over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It depends, If they were in the left lane all along, they are just continuing on in their lane which they have right of way in (without lane changing manoeuvre).

If they manoeuvre into the inside lane(i.e. change lanes) for the purpose of getting round you that is undertaking.

No. There is no requirement for a lane change for the manouvre to be classed as an overtake, either on the left or the right. If you stay in your lane and pass someone on the left you are overtaking on the left, and on the motorway this is only allowed in slow moving traffic. It is not legal to pass on the left on the motorway and claim it wasn't an overtake because you didn't have to change lane.
    either way if someone is passing you on the left on a multi lane carriageway your in the wrong lane.

Correct. But that person is also wrong in passing you on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

concussion wrote: »
    Correct. But that person is also wrong in passing you on the left.
    Just using your post as an example.

Technically correct however saying the undertakers are wrong doers along with the people in the wrong lane isn't the right way to look at it as the alternative to undertaking is:
    - Staying in the left hand lane at the same speed as the lane hogger and effectively there are now too lane hoggers
    - Staying in the right hand lane keeping well back as you wait for the lane hogger to move over. Never guaranteed
    - Staying in the right hand lane while flashing and on the cusp to tailgating.

Each of those results in pissed of drivers either in front of behind you.

I believe undertaking is not allowed in general however a situation like this is semi exceptional. I dont believe that drivers cant see the undertaking car is true. The same blind spot exists for when people over take. You can argue that they arent expecting to be undertook but if they are in the wrong lane they are oblivious to the outside world in the first place.

Instead of blaming every one in the chain the person in the lane hogging position needs a right kick up the ass. Technically undertakers are wrong but in reality all thats going to result otherwise are angry attitudes from other drivers. The lane hoggers need to be gotten rid of but if attention is also given to the people who are trying to get past them then thats attention wasted.

With regards to three lane roads and middle lane hoggers I really couldnt give a *%£* about them because its the easiest thing in the world to get past them. I do believe that education and stiffer enforcement needs to be used to get rid of the lane hogger because they are almost surely very bad in other aspects of driving too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

On the straight stretch before hitting the Lucan bypass this morning, a motorbike under takes two lorries on the hard shoulder at 120kph+. Gets out with about 20 yards to spare to the cyclist ahead (who admittedly shouldn't have been there) in the HS.

Southbound on the M50 last week, and I was in the Aux Lane for the N4. Two slow moving cars pull into the lane ahead of me. Car directly ahead of me pulls back into Lane 1, and then back into the Aux Lane just before the split. The car which had been ahead of both of us had moved into the N4 inbound lane so we passed that, but somehow I then saw it in my mirror stuttering up the hill with a trail of traffic behind it. Had to have dove in at the last second if not reversed back up to make the outbound lane.

• Advertisement

Absolute idiot on the M4 heading west towards Kinnegad this morning. Would not move into the left lane, forcing 4 or 5 vehicles up his inside. From when I laid eyes on the car, he was never overtaking anything. Just cruising along at 100-110.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

whyulittle wrote: »
    Absolute idiot on the M4 heading west towards Kinnegad this morning. Would not move into the left lane, forcing 4 or 5 vehicles up his inside. From when I laid eyes on the car, he was never overtaking anything. Just cruising along at 100-110.
    In future, Record his number plates and report time and place of the incident, speed and that there was no cars in the driving lane to Traffic Watch 1850 205805. If you or anybody do not report these poor, reckless and dangerous drivers then they will continue to do it.

Lucan bypass again this morning. I was in Lane 1 with clear space ahead of me. Van following a car all the way in in Lane 2. We get to the merge at Woodies, Lane 1 & 3 both clear, and the two lads still plodding along in Lane 2. Here is where van man decides to drop into Lane 1 (hindering the cars trying to merge), undertake the car, and then get back into Lane 2.

Heading outbound later past the Toll Plaza and see a white van ahead pull out at the last minute with no indication, forcing the car already overtaking it and the car ahead to jump on its brakes. Eventually I get past the van and see it was the same fella as earlier.

Also saw AGS pull someone over for the first time, between Kinnegad and Enfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

peasant wrote: »
    It's a feckin' motorway, not the kindergarden sandpit. Keep your safe distances, overtake normally, drive safely and avoid provocation

+1

Had an experience a few years ago on the Bray bypass, Rush hour traffic, but flowing freely. I was in the outside lane, at the speed limit and overtaking the cars on my inside. Apparently, though, not fast enough for the guy behind me who drove behind me at a distance of less than a car's length. I couldn't actually move over because of the traffic on my inside, so I gradually slowed down to try to give the tailgater a message. His response was to force himself into the inside lane, overtake me on the inside, pull back into my lane dangerously close in front of me and then slam on the brakes.

I decided since then I'd never react in any way to idiocy like that. There are too many assholes out there willing to risk their lives and yours to make a point. Don't flash your lights, don't sound the horn, just get out of the way and let them have their crash somewhere else, not involving you . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My brother was a passanger in a car heading on the motorway between Athlone & Ballinasloe a couple of day ago. They're tipping along & up ahead there is a car pulled up in the hard shoulder, literally just as they're about to come on it the driver door flies open & out pops the driver out into lane 1. :eek: they had to swerve out to avoid hitting her. When they looked back she was standing out in the middle of lane 1 having a good look at her front tire while another car had to move out to avoid knocking her down as well. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

sentient_6 wrote: »
    My brother was a passanger in a car heading on the motorway between Athlone & Ballinasloe a couple of day ago. They're tipping along & up ahead there is a car pulled up in the hard shoulder, literally just as they're about to come on it the driver door flies open & out pops the driver out into lane 1. :eek: they had to swerve out to avoid hitting her. When they looked back she was standing out in the middle of lane 1 having a good look at her front tire while another car had to move out to avoid knocking her down as well. :mad:

Wow, that takes a certain mind to achieve.
    I feel a Darwin Award coming her way...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bbk wrote: »
    Just using your post as an example.

Technically correct however saying the undertakers are wrong doers along with the people in the wrong lane isn't the right way to look at it as the alternative to undertaking is:
    - Staying in the left hand lane at the same speed as the lane hogger and effectively there are now too lane hoggers
    - Staying in the right hand lane keeping well back as you wait for the lane hogger to move over. Never guaranteed
    - Staying in the right hand lane while flashing and on the cusp to tailgating.

Each of those results in pissed of drivers either in front of behind you.

I believe undertaking is not allowed in general however a situation like this is semi exceptional. I dont believe that drivers cant see the undertaking car is true. The same blind spot exists for when people over take. You can argue that they arent expecting to be undertook but if they are in the wrong lane they are oblivious to the outside world in the first place.

Instead of blaming every one in the chain the person in the lane hogging position needs a right kick up the ass. Technically undertakers are wrong but in reality all thats going to result otherwise are angry attitudes from other drivers. The lane hoggers need to be gotten rid of but if attention is also given to the people who are trying to get past them then thats attention wasted.

With regards to three lane roads and middle lane hoggers I really couldnt give a *%£* about them because its the easiest thing in the world to get past them. I do believe that education and stiffer enforcement needs to be used to get rid of the lane hogger because they are almost surely very bad in other aspects of driving too.

What you've written there makes a lot of sense, however the illegality of undertaking over rules it. I think :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

whyulittle wrote: »

If it came to it the law would not agree anyone was forced to undertake.

I can well understand people's frustrations however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If it came to it the law would not agree anyone was forced to undertake.

I can well understand people's frustrations however.

If some arsehole deliberatly blocks the overtaking lane I ALWAYS undertake, don't care, if said a-hole gets annoyed all the better, the GF doesn't always undertake, she will actually spend some time bullying them out of the way, flashing, beeping, etc...
    I know it's wrong on paper, but these people are, let's face it, thick and politely hanging back whilst waiting for them to move over will only result in many people having to undertake TWO cars now.

• Advertisement

If some arsehole deliberatly blocks the overtaking lane I ALWAYS undertake, don't care, if said a-hole gets annoyed all the better, the GF doesn't always undertake, she will actually spend some time bullying them out of the way, flashing, beeping, etc...
    I know it's wrong on paper, but these people are, let's face it, thick and politely hanging back whilst waiting for them to move over will only result in many people having to undertake TWO cars now.

I totally understand why you'd do that Dr. but if a cop caught you.........

Advertisement