Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

+1
    Also looking for a link to watch it back as I completely forgot about it yesterday until I'd seen the result on my phone.

Edit:- Just found it after digging around a bit.
    Must watch it when I get home this evening.

It was on http://www.european-athletics.org but I could not locate it this evening. It was also on the Eurosport site. You might get it on RTE Player.
    The http://www.european-athletics.org version was in Hungarian for abount 14 mins and English after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

micar wrote: »
    It was on http://www.european-athletics.org but I could not locate it this evening. It was also on the Eurosport site. You might get it on RTE Player.
    The http://www.european-athletics.org version was in Hungarian for abount 14 mins and English after that.

You would think it would be on RTE player but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

rom wrote: »
    You would think it would be on RTE player but no joy.

that's terrible!!!!! Surly RTE should be having this on their front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

Anyone got the points for team result, the french were walking away with it at one stage. (pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just watched it there and WOW!!!
    She really ran a great race, out in front almost from the start, controlling the entire pack, savage stuff.

Points were as follows...
    Ireland 52 (1,8,20,23) win on countback, last finisher ahead of French last finisher.
    France 52 (5,6,13,28)
    Britain 60 (11,15,16,18)

Full results are here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Beforehand, Jerry Kiernan was saying that Ireland would do well to finish in the top 6 (OK, so technically he was correct, but we know what he meant.....), and on reflection of the results there was only 7 teams entered, Jerry was selling us a bit short.

Also, slightly, takes away from the achievement. Only slightly , mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Olympic Games - 10:15pm tonight Eurosport
    A look back at 'Super Saturday' at this year's Olympic Games, which featured an incredible evening of success for Team GB in the track and field events.

Olympics 2012 - 50 Greatest Moments - Monday, 8.30pm BBC Three
    Gabby Logan is joined by three-time Olympic medallist Louis Smith to present a countdown of memorable moments from the London Games, including the Queen's role in the opening ceremony, the glory of 'Super Saturday' and Bert Le Clos's emotional interview following his son Chad winning the gold medal in the 200m butterfly. With contributions from the likes of Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis, Jimmy Carr, Reggie Yates, Andy Murray, Tom Daley, Mo Farah, Gary Lineker, Cherry Healey and Mel C.

Both shows are 2 hours long.

I didn't even know RTE were showing this until a day or two after it was broadcast. But it's on the RTE Player for a while.

First
    Documentary following 12 athletes as they prepare for London 2012, charting the highs and lows of their journeys to compete at the Olympics.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10098410/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    I didn't even know RTE were showing this until a day or two after it was broadcast. But it's on the RTE Player for a while.

First

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10098410/

Had heard about this. Heard it was very well made. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available to watch outside of Ireland! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Had heard about this. Heard it was very well made. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available to watch outside of Ireland! :mad:

I found it to be unwatchable. It was full of out of focus shots followed by lots of slow motion shots. Very frustrating. Tried to be arty but after 20 mins of mostly out of focus shots I had to switch off.

Anyone watch Superstars on BBC? Was all right. Interesting to see the boxer win the 100metres in 12 seconds or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Anyone watch Superstars on BBC? Was all right. Interesting to see the boxer win the 100metres in 12 seconds or so

11.5 actually in very bad conditions. I was more surprised to see him do well in the 800m and then win the cycling actually, considering he is 18 stone.
    Heck of an athlete...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Watched it as well. The bike race was pretty good but ended up fast forwarding most of the show. Fair play to the boxer though, head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

menoscemo wrote: »
    11.5 actually in very bad conditions. I was more surprised to see him do well in the 800m and then win the cycling actually, considering he is 18 stone.
    Heck of an athlete...
    Yeah he did used to run the 100m in his teens . But yeah very impressive. I good conditions may have been 10.9-11.2.

I found it to be unwatchable. It was full of out of focus shots followed by lots of slow motion shots. Very frustrating. Tried to be arty but after 20 mins of mostly out of focus shots I had to switch off.

Same here, just turned it off after about 10 minutes. It seems to be more style over substance. They should get in touch with the BBC if they want to see how to make good documentaries.

Great Edinburgh Cross Country Championship, Saturday BBC One, 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great Edinburgh Cross Country Championship, Saturday BBC One, 1pm

Fionnuala Britton running in the 6k team event at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cool recording this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anywhere to watch this online?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Great coverage by the beeb,
    Linda Byrne going well but Fionnuala Britton is running away from them so easily, she is pure class...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

That was a nice Saturday afternoon treat. Some run. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Classy stuff from Fionnula Britton. Think she has everybody psyched out at this stage. Absolute belter of a run by Linda byrne aswell though, she almost got felix on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Fionnuala is a picture of smooth, controlled running. Apart from the little slip today she always looked so much more comfortable than everyone else. Her stride is like clockwork, ticking over constantly regardless of underfoot conditions. Awesome to watch.

And as others have said, well done Linda Byrne as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Another fine performance, never looked in doubt, good run by Coulson lacked a bit of staying power - one to watch in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

like a throwback to the 70s all the white guys in the mens race

Finnoula is running in the Antrim XC race this weekend and unsurprise, unsurprise, there seems to be no coverage of it. I was hoping BBC Two NI would do the decent thing and broadcast to make up for the other times they jettison athletics for some other local sport, but alas not. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Finnoula is running in the Antrim XC race this weekend and unsurprise, unsurprise, there seems to be no coverage of it. I was hoping BBC Two NI would do the decent thing and broadcast to make up for the other times they jettison athletics for some other local sport, but alas not. :(

What kind of line up is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

What kind of line up is there?

I haven't seen any official start-lists yet, but read that Coulson and Byrne will toe the line with Britton again. In the men's race, kenyans Bernard Rotich, Joseph Birech, David Bett, Julius Maisei. GB athletes will include internationals Andy Vernon and Frank Tickner.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SSI @ 2200 hrs sees Kriss Akabusi interviewing Daley Thompson on Sporting Heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

I think Felix and Herzog are down for the women's race, so that should spice it up. Linda Byrne will have another great opportunity to take a major scalp.

Advertisement