Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a dead language?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Welsh language has been a mandatory part of Welsh education up until the age of 15/16.

Well they didn't learn it so it mustn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

owenc wrote: »
    Captain Picard just follows you around doesn't he?

It is a mandatory subject for feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    You must have gone to a crap Gaeltacht. I always have a blast when I am there.

all depends on what you call a blast i suppose, my main point was to point out the blatent inaccuracies in the post i quoted

glad you enjoyed yourself though, thanks for sharing:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Well i've found that hard to beleive, i've never heard anyone speaking irish and i've been to the most remote parts of donegal and haven't seen anyone speaking irish.

Did you actually try to speak Irish to someone?

The Donegal gaeltacht population is over 23,000.
    I also find that very hard to beleive that in another part of this island 150,000 people are speaking a different language.

Tell us then Owen, how many regular Irish speakers are there?

It is mandatory. I repeat, the Welsh language is a mandatory subject in Wales up until the age of 15/16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I don't. So what?
    So buttons.
    So, English isn't supported as a mandatory subject in school? All languages which are taught in state-schools, are supported by the state. Many minority languages around the world are supported by their respective states. This isn't unique to Ireland.
    Which doesn't make it right. No matter what way you look at it the teaching of Irish is not only a waste of students precious time but also a huge waste of tax-payers money. Something that cannot be allowed to continue.
    Then perhaps you can explain this statement.

Welsh is a mandatory subject up until the age of 15. It receives a similar level of support from the state, that Irish receives. So, you're talking shíte to be honest.
    I'd be happy to, Welsh is not a official language of the U.K. It is an official language of Wales but Wales is not a state.

Captain Picard just follows you around doesn't he?

It is a mandatory subject for feck sake.

WELL THEY DIDN'T LEARN IT THEY ARE MY COUSINS I THINK I KNOW!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Math isn't your strong point, is it?

Well yes, that should be less than 3%. Still, it's still a minuscule figure no matter what way you spin it.

they should concentrate the much needed tax money for up there so.. not much irish speaking people where i'm from lads..

Did you actually try to speak Irish to someone?

Tell us then Owen, how many regular Irish speakers are there?

No, i don't even know how to say hello and i have no intrest in it either, i was actually talking about people in conversation in irish.

I have no clue 80,000? Are these figures your talking about for people who know irish but don't talk it, as i thought it was for ones who speak it reguarly with friends etc.

• Advertisement

WELL THEY DIDN'T LEARN IT THEY ARE MY COUSINS I THINK I KNOW!:mad:
    Maybe they are dyslexic? Point remains it is a mandatory subject. You are simply wrong. No shame in that.

No, i don't even know how to say hello and i have no intrest in it either, i was actually talking about people in conversation in irish.

I have no clue 80,000?
    Ah.

Then why claim that the 150k figure is wrong?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Which doesn't make it right. No matter what way you look at it the teaching of Irish is not only a waste of students precious time but also a huge waste of tax-payers money. Something that cannot be allowed to continue.

That is your opinion. I disagree.
    I'd be happy to, Welsh is not a official language of the U.K. It is an official language of Wales but Wales is not a state.

Wales is a country. It is an official language in Wales. It receives state support. I'd appreciate it if you could get to the point.

Maybe they are dyslexic?

temper temper..

Ah.

I think you're getting a little bit off-topic now by trying to turn this into a strawman argument. It doesn't matter how many speakers there are. Eitherway we can agree it is somewhere between 2-3%

I have no clue 80,000? Are these figures your talking about for people who know irish but don't talk it, as i thought it was for ones who speak it reguarly with friends etc.

Ok - Now provide me a source for that figure and we'll start debating.

Ah.

Because i just have this instinct feeling that it is wrong and until you bring me figures i will forever think that, that figure is wrong.

peatcass wrote: »
    temper temper..
    Nothing wrong with being Dyslexic. A load of my mates are, and thats why they don't do languages.

Maybe they are dyslexic? Point remains it is a mandatory subject. You are simply wrong. No shame in that.

What if i said they were? You'd s*** yourself then.

Ok - Now provide me a source for that figure and we'll start debating.

No thats a guess.

• Advertisement

I think you're getting a little bit off-topic now by trying to turn this into a strawman argument. It doesn't matter how many speakers there are. Eitherway we can agree it is somewhere between 2-3%

So regardless of whether it is 100,000 - 150,000, it by that very result cannot be dead.

What if i said they were? You'd s*** yourself then.
    No I wouldn't, why would I? Nothing wrong with being Dyslexic.

It would explain why they didnt learn Welsh.

That is your opinion. I disagree.
    Then perhaps you could tell me why you think Irish is worth every penny and hour spent on it?

Oh and could you keep it pragmatic? I'm a practical person you see.
    Wales is a country. It is an official language in Wales. It receives state support. I'd appreciate it if you could get to the point.
    So welsh is only a regional language. Not a national one.

Nothing wrong with being Dyslexic. A load of my mates are, and thats why they don't do languages.

point taken, hard to read context from short messages

So regardless of whether it is 100,000 - 150,000, it by that very result cannot be dead.
    I agree it is not dead.

No I wouldn't, why would I? Nothing wrong with being Dyslexic.

Maybe you were trying to insult them, back on topic or i will get banned. Btw when did that law come in?

No thats a guess.

Based on what evidence? I mean, did you just pick an abitrary number out of thin air or do you at least have even a smidgen of evidence to backup your guesstimate?

Maybe you were trying to insult them, back on topic or i will get banned. Btw when did that law come in?
    Sorry, what law?

Sorry, what law?

That you have to learn Welsh until the age of 15.

• Advertisement

regardless of numbers, i think the basic fact is that if it was left up to choice; (either parents of young children, or peolpe deciding to take it up later in life); the language wouldn't be long dying out. maybe not this generation, but soon enough..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement