Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze - The Official Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

give us the highlights there, it nearly my bed time, toooo tired to listen to it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

delancey42 wrote: »
    Did you have an application outstanding from last year ? I ask because the people who got this new letter received it with reference to their 'old' application. C 16 applications got the standard Deloitte letter of a few weeks ago.
    From what I can tell unless you have a previous application in you probably won't get this 'new' letter.
    TBH it's not as if it matters , the message is still the same.....

think your spot on here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

give us the highlights there, it nearly my bed time, toooo tired to listen to it...!

A lot of talk about dissidents - he said he would have no problems with politicians sitting down with them as there is no security solution on it's own.
    He reflected on the huge changes and correctly identified the attendance of Mary McAleese at GV was a hugely symbolic move.
    He warned that dissidents are a major threat and all officers are at risk and have had to beef up their personal security.

A very brief synopsis - do try and listen to the full interview - quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 furrywall1

He made clear he was arguing that now is not the time to reduce Police numbers.

:eek:
    Heres hoping he is persuasive.:D

Very good little interview indeed, although am I being blind? I can only find a 10 min interview and not the longer version :confused:
    Gotta say I've a hell of a lot of respect for that man, he's walked into one tough as f**k job that I doubt there's many people out there could do and it's nice to hear him being honest and human about "having his moments"...I do like the "modern day heroes" phrase, ah I wanna be one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Very good little interview indeed, although am I being blind? I can only find a 10 min interview and not the longer version :confused:
    Gotta say I've a hell of a lot of respect for that man, he's walked into one tough as f**k job that I doubt there's many people out there could do and it's nice to hear him being honest and human about "having his moments"...I do like the "modern day heroes" phrase, ah I wanna be one!!

There is a video interview, I think the one I posted was of the Radio edit one, if you look around the RTE website you'll find it....booya.

Cheers! Can't get it to play past where he's talking about the Ardoyne riots, keeps sticking on me for some reason :(
    I would be well chuffed if I was one of the officers involved in it hearing him talk about the job they done over them few days like that...too often all you hear about the police in the media is criticism, once in a while the good points need to be highlighted.

Cheers! Can't get it to play past where he's talking about the Ardoyne riots, keeps sticking on me for some reason :(
    I would be well chuffed if I was one of the officers involved in it hearing him talk about the job they done over them few days like that...too often all you hear about the police in the media is criticism, once in a while the good points need to be highlighted.

Yeah Mr.Baggott came across as a very articulate unflinching man who is rather steadfast in his convictions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 don quixote 3

so with regards to the people from c14(/15?) who got this letter recently, if recruitment freeze ends in October will they be back in contention meaning that applicants from 3 campaigns will be grouped together in competition for the next intake...?

....or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Applicants from C14 are only competing with applicants from C14. C15 with C15 and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Best of the best of those that have cleared vetting and meds?Makes sense,even though it narrows the bottleneck.If I was employing new recruits and I had the freeze restrictions, I would use the cream rising mentality(with 50/50 in mind of course.......)

But surely the places that were allocated for 14 and 15 are exempt as the figures for the training and development of those candidates would have been paid for already or pre-calculated in previous budgets and accounted for prior to the freeze.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

cesc77 wrote: »
    But surely the places that were allocated for 14 and 15 are exempt as the figures for the training and development of those candidates would have been paid for already or pre-calculated in previous budgets and accounted for prior to the freeze.
    True - they just don't have the rest of the money needed for an entire intake!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I just really hope I pass the medical and get a place at some stage. Seriously.

1986j wrote: »
    I just really hope I pass the medical and get a place at some stage. Seriously.

You, and thousands like you. I can't imagine how it must be.

I am with you 100% on that - but things are slowing down . Maybe the next 2/3 months will leave us with a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

psni wrote: »
    You, and thousands like you. I can't imagine how it must be.

Ha I check the mail every single morning first thing and must check this site 3-4x a day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

g'wan the boy ye! ;)

Very interesting indeed - thanks for posting the link . Matt Baggott was adamant in his RTE interview that now was not the time to cut the Policing budget.

• Advertisement

1986j wrote: »

Ah damn beat me to it! I was just on my way here to post that :rolleyes:

Seems the man's going to fight these cuts to the bitter end...good on him! Lets just hope it comes to something.
    "A police source said that if the PSNI was forced to make 8% cuts, the strength of the PSNI would have to be slashed by more than 1000 officers through redundancies and a lengthy recruitment freeze. "

Good ol' "police sources" everybody loves a good inside source! But a cut of 1000... somebody tell these politicians to turn the news on once in a while and cop on to what a monumentaly huge mistake this is :mad:

Is it just Norn Iron that has these proposed spending cuts or has every force in England and Wales been told to do the same?

These cuts were obviously hastily drawn up attempts to redress the evils of the previous government,without taking into account the continuing threat level over here.Now,I can only conclude that our cuts are due to two things....neither of them very pretty.

1.The Con/Lib Dem government are naive in their assessment of the security situation here.

2.That they really dont give a damn what happens here(even though, as weve seen in the past,England has suffered attacks running alongside those here)

I dont profess to be an economist but something doesnt ring true about this.These politicians and number crunchers have the benefit of seeing what used to happen in this country and the resulting economic/human cost yet they are willing to risk the same happening again to save a few bucks.

Oh,on a slightly different point but the same....The Olympics..........Have the budgets been worked out for that?Less than two years to go.So are the same number of officers,as has been quoted, expected to look after securing that not insignificant event?The threat of terrorism is a spectre which casts multiple shadows now from various sources,who would look on this event as a headline-maker around the world.

But who am I ?.....only a taxpayer.Sigh

cesc77 wrote: »
    Is it just Norn Iron that has these proposed spending cuts or has every force in England and Wales been told to do the same?

These cuts were obviously hastily drawn up attempts to redress the evils of the previous government,without taking into account the continuing threat level over here.Now,I can only conclude that our cuts are due to two things....neither of them very pretty.

1.The Con/Lib Dem government are naive in their assessment of the security situation here.

2.That they really dont give a damn what happens here(even though, as weve seen in the past,England has suffered attacks running alongside those here)

I dont profess to be an economist but something doesnt ring true about this.These politicians and number crunchers have the benefit of seeing what used to happen in this country and the resulting economic/human cost yet they are willing to risk the same happening again to save a few bucks.

Oh,on a slightly different point but the same....The Olympics..........Have the budgets been worked out for that?Less than two years to go.So are the same number of officers,as has been quoted, expected to look after securing that not insignificant event?The threat of terrorism is a spectre which casts multiple shadows now from various sources,who would look on this event as a headline-maker around the world.

But who am I ?.....only a taxpayer.Sigh

In relation to the bit in bold - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/david-cameron-lsquomust-recognise-special-role-of-the-psnirsquo-14913280.html
    As I said, they need to flick on to the NI news once in a while instead of being so far up their own arses and only concerned with whats happening over there. I honestly believe they don't truly know the situation here. Maybe someone will be able to hammer it home though eventually.

And I believe these cuts are all the same 5-8% across the board, could be wrong on that though...but if that is right that just shows to me that no real thought whatsoever has gone into them and no considerations have been taken into the individual cirsumstances of each force. Pure genius like :rolleyes:

Policing cuts are hitting ALL forces including England and Wales - recruitment freezes are the norm. The Met have drastically cut recruitment and that is indicative of how bad things are - don't forget all the poor sods who were waiting to go to Hendon and instead got a letter saying in effect '' no place in training for you and btw if you still wish to join you must re-apply '' :eek: , no ' deep freeze ' for them.

shampon wrote: »
    See Mr Adams was telling the truth even though he probably wished he never said it...."They havent gone away you know"

Whisper it very softly when you ask"Was it really a good idea to release ALL(Any?) of the murderers under the Good Friday Agreement?"

Although Im sure they are all law abiding contributors to society now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

And politicians.....

wanadrum wrote: »
    And politicians.....

Hey...It's called progress.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Hi Shampon, apparently so, but we all have our own opinions on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/39Dissident-violence-risks-national-security39.6473474.jp

Good to see the politicians fighting the Chief Constables corner.

Advertisement