Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze - The Official Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Does anyone know when we are likely to hear official word from the PSNI regarding this freeze? Surely they would have to update us properly before the budgets are announced in the autumn? I'm also just wondering is it likely they'll release the merit list as normal or will they keep it back due to the freeze.

I think the merit list is coming out this month man.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

Does anyone know when we are likely to hear official word from the PSNI regarding this freeze? Surely they would have to update us properly before the budgets are announced in the autumn? I'm also just wondering is it likely they'll release the merit list as normal or will they keep it back due to the freeze.

i have a friend who is in the same position as us lot, he knows someone very well that works in gv. apparently the new budget comes out in october, so i guess that would be the earliest that we could possibly get an idea of how long the freeze will last.

the person also said that the aug intake is the biggest gv has seen in a very long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

VES86 wrote: »
    i have a friend who is in the same position as us lot, he knows someone very well that works in gv. apparently the new budget comes out in october, so i guess that would be the earliest that we could possibly get an idea of how long the freeze will last.

the person also said that the aug intake is the biggest gv has seen in a very long time
    Well there was no intake in June/July or so I was told so there was probably quite a large pool of people to pick from.

My dad's friend told him yesterday that August isn't the last intake but it goes against everything that has been said on this forum and against what everyone seems to have heard so far. I am presenting it only as what he said, not fact. I'd love it to be true but I personally don't believe it as those on these boards seem more clued in than the 'random word' on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

Well there was no intake in June/July or so I was told so there was probably quite a large pool of people to pick from.

My dad's friend told him yesterday that August isn't the last intake but it goes against everything that has been said on this forum and against what everyone seems to have heard so far. I am presenting it only as what he said, not fact. I'd love it to be true but I personally don't believe it as those on these boards seem more clued in than the 'random word' on the street.

I was told something similar at the beginning of the week, i have a friend whose currently going through GV an apparantly October is the last intake, i'm not taking this as gospel but with more of a pinch of salt, but apparantly they still have budgets there at the minute an must be using up the lists they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dvc1976

I have a friend who's going to GV in August, they were told after them there won't be another class for 4 years!!!! :eek:
    What do you make of that then peeps???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jay1

this freeze is driving me mad as i only got the guts to apply this year as i am from "wrong side of the road " wasnt lucky enough in test but want to give it another try asap, even though i will be disowned by family. i check web every day hoping that the word is that they are recruiting again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Welcome to the forum jay1 - you will find lots of similarly dissappointed folks here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

dvc1976 wrote: »
    I have a friend who's going to GV in August, they were told after them there won't be another class for 4 years!!!! :eek:
    What do you make of that then peeps???

Yeah, that's right and they also said it could be 5-6 but nobody knows until the budget is released in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

My mate started about a year ago. when he went in they announced that they would be the last for a while. Turned out to be a load of *****. I cant seem to understand why they would bother saying that, if they dont know for definate and also they are bound to know that it will get back to the people who are trying to get in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

My mate started about a year ago. when he went in they announced that they would be the last for a while. Turned out to be a load of *****. I cant seem to understand why they would bother saying that, if they dont know for definate and also they are bound to know that it will get back to the people who are trying to get in.

I can tell you why. It's more than likely because it's what they were told, and was probably true at the time they were told it. If something changes, it's not the fault of the person who passed on information at a time when it was true, nor does it mean the person was talking stars.

For example, the information I gave in the first post of this thread was completely true at the time of writing. If it turns out that there is an intake in October, then things will have changed.

I suppose if there's anything to be learned out of this, it's:
    1. Things change, and
    2. People talk!

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    I can tell you why. It's more than likely because it's what they were told, and was probably true at the time they were told it. If something changes, it's not the fault of the person who passed on information at a time when it was true, nor does it mean the person was talking stars.

For example, the information I gave in the first post of this thread was completely true at the time of writing. If it turns out that there is an intake in October, then things will have changed.

I suppose if there's anything to be learned out of this, it's:
    1. Things change, and
    2. People talk!

PSNI would you not be able to update us on the current understanding as it is from within the PSNI as there seems to be so many conflicting views regarding what is currently going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

I can - there are no more intakes planned. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

PSNI would you not be able to update us on the current understanding as it is from within the PSNI as there seems to be so many conflicting views regarding what is currently going on?

Unfortunately nobody I've spoken to within the PSNI including trainers in Garnerville know for sure what is happening themselves. There are as many rumours inside the job as there are outside. Frustrating, I know :rolleyes:

Unfortunately nobody I've spoken to within the PSNI including trainers in Garnerville know for sure what is happening themselves. There are as many rumours inside the job as there are outside. Frustrating, I know :rolleyes:

I wouldn't bet that even Matt Baggott knows 100% what the budgets will be like and the impact on recruitment . I too have heard wildly differing stories and interpretations of what is happening - some I would love to believe and some I go cold when I hear them.

For now I think it best to accept what psni posted here and try not to stress about it - unfortunately this is one of those situations completely beyond our control. Remember folks that people are aware of your dissappointment and this can, I believe , lead them to tell you what they think you want to hear - unhelpful but understandable.

As I mentioned in previous posts the Garda Recruitment forum can at times become a hotbed of , frankly , silly speculation and wild rumour and I would hope we can avoid that - that is NOT to say folks should not feel free to post.

I for one will sit tight :)

delancey42 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet that even Matt Baggott knows 100% what the budgets will be like and the impact on recruitment . I too have heard wildly differing stories and interpretations of what is happening - some I would love to believe and some I go cold when I hear them.

For now I think it best to accept what psni posted here and try not to stress about it - unfortunately this is one of those situations completely beyond our control. Remember folks that people are aware of your dissappointment and this can, I believe , lead them to tell you what they think you want to hear - unhelpful but understandable.

As I mentioned in previous posts the Garda Recruitment forum can at times become a hotbed of , frankly , silly speculation and wild rumour and I would hope we can avoid that - that is NOT to say folks should not feel free to post.

I for one will sit tight :)

I fully understand Delancey, to be honest im not stressing just under the impression that different things are actually coming out of Garneville itself, i'm just happy to still be in the running whether that be to get in this year, next or the year after.. i'll just be happy to be on the list and in with a shout. My borther graduated there recently and is still in an out of Garneville doing training before he goes to his first stationing and apparantly the trainers are under the impression that the last intake is in October, i do realise that this is when the budget will be released thou! So was just wondering if PSNI would have heard any word with reagrds to the ongoing situation with the organisation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I have no further updates for you I'm afraid. All I know is there are no intakes planned or approved beyond August at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

received a letter today stating that

the psni can only commit to contactual obligations to those candidates who were deemed suitable for appointment proir to 1 july 2010

Whilst the psni continues to process meds, vet and smt, we are unable to make any further offers until such time as a dicision is made regarding the future of police recruitment.

so folks, looks likes it all over for the mean time............

i explained that i'm waiting on vet clearing from last year and that i'm in the running for this year (vet forms posted of again!)

"sorry, we are in the dark here was the responce. if there is anymore intakes, it'll be on a month to month basis from now on".

good news is, merit list place is still kept regardless of time frame. vetting clearing is the problem. guy admitted that because i've moved around a bit, come from a large family(who has moved around a bit to!) is a disadvantage, all needs to be checked. so, if you have a low merit score but a single child and always lived at home your in a better position that somebody with a high merit score from a large family thats moved around a fair bit. god help you if you've lived abroad!

telephone person said he'd had about 50 calls before i called, so be nice if you phone, it ain't the guy on the phones fault!

either way, it sucks sucks sucks

Haven't seen you in these here parts for a while Rookie , many thanks for giving us that info and of course what you got in writing is the really significant bit.
    Dissappointing but not all that surprising..........

Cheers for posting that! Always nice to hear things in writing, even if it isn't the best if news, but atleast it's no worse from what we last heard.
    Forgive me if I'm being thick here...but what is smt??

Cheers for posting that! Always nice to hear things in writing, even if it isn't the best if news, but atleast it's no worse from what we last heard.
    Forgive me if I'm being thick here...but what is smt??
    -

Poor plugin , you and the P.S.N.I. acronyms - immediate fail for not knowing SMT :D

SMT = Substance Misuse Test ( drug test )

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote: »
    -

Poor plugin , you and the P.S.N.I. acronyms - immediate fail for not knowing SMT :D

SMT = Substance Misuse Test ( drug test )

:D You actually had me worried for a minute last time about not passing if I didn't know! Darn you!!
    I guessed the T bit right atleast with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Disappointing tbh

I was one of the 5 or 6 on teh forum who had a medical date. I was hoping I was in a good position and maybe had a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

the psni can only commit to contactual obligations to those candidates who were deemed suitable for appointment proir to 1 july 2010

Whilst the psni continues to process meds, vet and smt, we are unable to make any further offers until such time as a dicision is made regarding the future of police recruitment.

Thanks for posting rookie. But for me its just further confirmation that we are in the freezer. No-body knows whats happening until the policing budget is confirmed in october.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jay_Man

Got the same letter today. Was for my C14 though and didn't say anything about this camaign. STrange..

At least they are still going ahead with the Vetting though. Thats a big positive. Sure may be out of freeze by time vetting process is finished anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

Jay_Man wrote: »
    Got the same letter today. Was for my C14 though and didn't say anything about this camaign. STrange..

That makes sense, C16 candidates have had the letter from deloitte informing us of the current freeze situation, C15 & C14 will have had nothing to date (as far as I know) so I guess this letter from psni is their equivilent letter, but as they are finished with deloitte, it has came from psni instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jay_Man

Yeah that would make perfect sense, didn't think of it like that. Thanks Bubbles :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Interesting interview with the top boy their today on RTE...Gives some nice insights into the recruitment and make up of the force.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0815/north.html

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Who else has or has not received this letter.

I have not. I expect it tomorrow hopefully (or not lol)

Interesting ( and long @ 30 mins ) interview with Matt Baggott , zero mention of the freeze but the subject of financial cuts was aired , he did say that C 16 attracted over 1,000 applicants from the Republic and '' 2 out of every 50 applicants is successful ''... gulp !
    He made clear he was arguing that now is not the time to reduce Police numbers.

• Advertisement

1986j wrote: »
    Who else has or has not received this letter.

I have not. I expect it tomorrow hopefully (or not lol)

Did you have an application outstanding from last year ? I ask because the people who got this new letter received it with reference to their 'old' application. C 16 applications got the standard Deloitte letter of a few weeks ago.
    From what I can tell unless you have a previous application in you probably won't get this 'new' letter.
    TBH it's not as if it matters , the message is still the same.....

Advertisement