Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some points to note before rooting your android

Options
  • 30-07-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

As someone who has used Linux for about 9 years now, I thought it might be a good idea if we have some pointers of the potential dangers of rooting. One of the first important lessons I learned on Linux is that you never log in as root and don't run an app with root permission unless you have a very good reason.

If you don't know what rooting involves exactly then you should read this before attempting it:

http://androidandme.com/2009/09/hacks/why-not-everyone-should-root-their-android-phones/

It's a little old now but still has a lot of good points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

I have a htc dream which I got with t-mobile germany firmware.
    It was crippled (oh suprise t-mobile) and would refuse to install useful apps like nimbuzz and fring etc.
    So after 12 hours, I thought enough.
    I rooted the phone , installed a decent image, and also removed a ton of bloat system apps inc google haha. That was well worth a shot since its data mining as is.
    Now battery life is a lot better and Im not having to switch off weather reports and google talk. Its gone .)

But I also have 4 yrs linux experience and have resented to have to do this. My laptop isnt running as root for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Meh,

Running as root is not that dangerous.

Advertisement