Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win a two night break in any B&B in Ireland and a Denny picnic hamper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

glandore co. cork overlooking the harbour and union hall across the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

The castle park in Kilkenny is so lovely in summer for a sandwich! :D

Castle_Park_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The stunning and peaceful Fermoyle Strand on the Dingle Peninsula Co. Kerry, enough to bring out the best in any sandwich:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

The best place I've ever eaten a sandwich would have to be the abbey and church in Fore, Co.westmeath, looking up at that old abbey and church, so well preserved. It's a sandwhich well deserved. Fore%20005L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

My choice would be simply enough spots:

1) Bray Head - lovely climb up and perfect views on a sunny day
    2) Phoenix Park - also on a sunny day. lovely up at the papal cross, or in farmleigh, or find a nice quiet spot for yourselves. lots of sports going on, families, deer, barbeques, rabbits etc etc and yet still beside the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Hook head in Wexford. Spent many a day down down fishing with dad, or family picnics, or just days out with friends. There is something peaceful and serene and almost magical about sitting on the rocks watching the waves crashing in, tasting the salt in the air and maybe even cooking a fresh mackerel.

Oh and I don't mean the touristy part of hook head over by the lighthouse, even though that is cool enough, no the best bit is across the fields towards slade, around the corner from the lighthouse, looking across to the saltee islands

800pxhookhead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annemarie11

Imagine being in the midst of a forest looking down as the land of Tir na nOg is within your reach amidst the splendours of the lake ...or maybe it's your imagination .....how about the smoky tea from an old black kettle that stings your eyes but warms your heart amidst the incessant yet gentle rainfall...and enjoying those ham sandwiches wrapped up in that plastic breadwrapper you had in school...deep deep in the midsts of Killarney National Park after a hard mornings work in the forest..no better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 geraldino

On top of Croagh Patrick, looking down at Clew Bay. A tasty rasher sandwich tastes the best ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

On the top of the Spinc, nothing better than a sandwich to recover, with a wonderful view on Glendalough Upper Lake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭magicray

Kilmore Quay gets my vote, its my favourite place for a picnic in the summer - after a walk down the pier with the kids and a bit of seal spotting, we are always starving !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Sitting in the car, watchin the surfers in lahinch/spanish point as the tide comes in, after a swim. Every time you take a bite, the following lick of crumbs off your lips contains salty sand as a little reminder of a great irish summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

The Iveagh Gardens in Dublin on a quiet sunny day is lovely for a picnic on the grass. There's a friendly robin there who will eat from your hand. Of course good company is more important really. In my case I had the company of my girlfriend who, by the end of the picnic, became my fiancee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

ive read all the replies and there are some good ones where i have indeed enjoyed a sambo but i think its all about the company as well as the place....

so from that i would say sitting on a blanket in my back lawn...sun shining down, kids eating sandwiches and playing...[most probably water fights:)] ...and myself and himself just lazing and relaxing on the grass .
    that to me is bliss...and to top it off a nice glass of wine would be the deal clincher!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 springwell7616

Darragh wrote: »
    Hey there,

We have a new competition with Denny.

bed-and-breakfast-sign%282%29.jpg

We're giving away a B&B break for two in any B&B in Ireland to the value of €150.

You'll also win a Denny Picnic Hamper to help you enjoy the Taste of Home Outdoors this Summer.

Picnic%20Basket%201%282%29.jpg

There's lots of Denny products and other great stuff to make sure you and three friends have a lovely picnic.

Here's all the details you need to know:

Got all of that? Basically, where in Ireland would you suggest is Ireland's best spot to have a sandwich?

Terms and Conditions: We'll be picking the winner from all the creative responses on Wednesday, June 30. The competition is open to all Boards.ie members and no cash alternative is available. Judge's decision is final. Thanks Denny for the prize!

Dursey Island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Kilkenny Castle Park on a scorcher of a day :D Always packed with people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

sugar loaf in kilmacanouge in wicklow, fantastic view from the top when ya get up there even if its a killer of a walk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

It has to be The Hill Of Tara, in our Royal Co. Meath. A good brisk walk across the most peaceful place on the planet, then settle down under the canopy of trees which line the way to the wishing tree.
    Once settled, and out of view of any really hungry sheep, unwrap your sambo, sit back and reminiss on all the beautiful stories of our rich history.
    The spirits are alive and well at Tara, and even when you are totally alone out on the hills there is a sense of great well being,of not being alone. The best part of being alone and not feeling that way, is the not having to share your sandwich part, yummmy.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

I think The John F Kennedy Arboretum in New Ross Co. Wexford is beautiful. Used to go there as a child and we'd have the day wandering around the gardens and lake then go up Slieve Coiltia where you can see 360degree views of 6 different counties. It's stunning!
    There's a maze for the kids which i actually get lost in myself, and there's loads of picnic area, it's my favorite way to spend a sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fconno316

It has to be the rock bog in Monaghan, views are unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭deisedude

Out of the back of the car in Thurles before a big GAA match. Nothing like eating ham sambos and washing it down with a flask of tea out of the back of the car before heading into battle!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Annee

My perfect spot would have to be Dollymount Strand on a warm sunny evening where you can look out at the landmark Poolbeg chimneys in the distance and thank your lucky stars your Irish, where we can eat a daycent Denny's 'hang' sandwich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I have two favourite places;

1. In my back garden, picnic rug out, lots of ham sangwiches and the company of my husband, my 5yr old son and the dog... in this weather - heaven

2. for sheer beauty and solitude, on the walk up to Carrauntuohill in Co. Kerry, there is a small lake and waterfall, wonderfull place to stop and have a breather and a picnic, either before attempting the climb, or in my case waiting for the others to come back down after I chickened out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Glendalough is one of my fav spots for a picnic, you could actually spend the day in the same spot and it will look so different every hour with the sun moving and the shadows changing - what I am missing is a lovely picnic basket like the one you have advertised........

If I don't win can you even tell me where one can get a picnic basket like the one in the photo - it is very very pretty!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

By the lakes in Killarney

killarney-lakes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Tullynally Castle in Westmeath, beautiful surroundings

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shaysunny

Dracula author Bram Stoker lived on Marino Crescent, the row of tall Georgian houses directly opposite this park and you could be forgiven for thinking that this round little oasis is purely for residents. However, it is much public green space and a top spot for a tomato ketchup sandwich - well, you have to get into the spirit of the thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

On the cliff edge at Dun Aonghasa, on Inis Mór.
    It's so old and so steeped in history that you feel like you are apart from the rest of the world. When you are sitting on the edge of the cliff and looking out at the Atlantic, it feels like you are on the edge of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

It has to be Mahon Falls up in the Comeragh Mountains. Heaven on a beautiful day, sitting with the kids and enjoying food and the view :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

On a cliff, any cliff in Ireland. Or maybe in a park, or on top of a mountain. As long as there is some tasty sandwiches brought along and the sun is shining, I'm happy out.

Advertisement