Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

But that was only the Green to O'Connell St, the current Cross city line goes a little further.

The article said the tunnel would go to Broadstone. I'd assume they wouldn't just terminate the line at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

An assessment at the time found that going underground would not increase capacity at all for the route. That, along with the much higher cost, was enough to kill it. Rightly so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

AngryLips wrote: »
    An assessment at the time found that going underground would not increase capacity at all for the route. That, along with the much higher cost, was enough to kill it. Rightly so.

Going be underground would likely only make sense as part of (1) from Broadstone to somewhere like Milltown and (2) upgrading the green line south of that and (3) going to Finglas and/or Blanch etc beyond Broombridge.

If the tunnel was done today you could keep the surface tram line in the city centre and have a two or three stop underground express line serving mostly slightly different areas -- something like a stop in Rathmines, SSG and on Jervis Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

AngryLips wrote: »
    it would have increased the glacially slow travel time, the ripping up of the city centre to that extent and a lot of road space wouldn't have been lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know when traffic be allowed tail gate trams up O'Connell street when it's opened. Given it's just plain tar put down I assume so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Anyone know when traffic be allowed tail gate trams up O'Connell street when it's opened. Given it's just plain tar put down I assume so?

No left turn from Bachelor's walk and no right turn from Burgh Quay would stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Middle Man wrote: »
    Many videos of Dutch cycling shows ample room for both decent roads and high spec cycle facilities.

Pretty silly statement really. Cars were simply banned from most of Amsterdam's streets, which are very narrow,in the mid-late 20th century and replaced with two way cycle lanes. Cars only remain on a handful of wide roads that were laid out after the war.

markpb wrote: »
    No left turn from Bachelor's walk and no right turn from Burgh Quay would stop that.

Yes I'm aware it would but I assume you don't know if that will happen/

Going to assume it will be allowed considering the tracking has not been done like Abbey St for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Did anyone came across plans for new extanded platforms for Green Line? I only see informations about new Luas trams to be ordered (Citadis 502 instead of 402 - 54m instead of 43m) but can't see any plans anywhere (thou seen builders at Harcourt Luas stop) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They have started working on extending them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

zom wrote: »
    I only see informations about new Luas trams to be ordered (Citadis 502 instead of 402 - 54m instead of 43m)
    I didn't hear anything about this and decided to Google it. I got:
    IRRS wrote:
    On 25 November Transport Infrastructure Ireland placed an order valued at €36.5m with Alstom Transport for the supply of seven new “Citadis 502” trams. The new trams will be ... 54.6m long and cater for 60 additional passengers per tram, giving a total capacity of 369 ... There will be ... eight double-leaf doors on each side plus two single leaf on each side.
    370 passengers per tram is quite impressive.

"While the platform lengths on Luas Cross City are designed to accommodate the longer trams, the Green Line platforms between St. Stephen’s Green and Sandyford will be lengthened. The first Citadis 502 is due to be delivered in October 2017. "

So Brides Glen services won't be able to avail of the larger trams?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    "While the platform lengths on Luas Cross City are designed to accommodate the longer trams, the Green Line platforms between St. Stephen’s Green and Sandyford will be lengthened. The first Citadis 502 is due to be delivered in October 2017. "

So Brides Glen services won't be able to avail of the larger trams?

You're wrong. The platforms on the Brides Glen election are already lengthened as they were built to accommodate longer trams.

If you had bothered to look you'd know this, instead you post completely inaccurate information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Other being longer are the new trams going to be an updated spec of the current trams or are they going to be just the same as what we have but longer.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Other being longer are the new trams going to be an updated spec of the current trams or are they going to be just the same as what we have but longer.

Same, what updating is needed?

lxflyer wrote: »
    You're wrong. The platforms on the Brides Glen election are already lengthened as they were built to accommodate longer trams.

If you had bothered to look you'd know this, instead you post completely inaccurate information.

You're moody as usual.

I didn't post inaccurate info. I asked a question, hence the question mark.

But don't let that get in the way of an opportunity to blow off some steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You're moody as usual.

I didn't post inaccurate info. I asked a question, hence the question mark.

But don't let that get in the way of an opportunity to blow off some steam.

What's with the "as usual"? I think that's completely unnecessary.

I think that you're assuming an awful lot about me in your first statement and I'd appreciate it if you didn't focus on me.

It came across to me that you were making a statement - I corrected it.

The notion that the line would be operated by different sized trams, half of which couldn't serve half the line would mean that operational flexiblility would be completely impossible. It's a non-starter.

At least think things through or go and have a look at the physical infrastructure.

lxflyer wrote: »
    What's with the "as usual"? I think that's completely unnecessary.

I think that you're assuming an awful lot about me in your first statement and I'd appreciate it if you didn't focus on me.

It came across to me that you were making a statement - I corrected it.

The notion that the line would be operated by different sized trams, half of which couldn't serve half the line would mean that operational flexiblility would be completely impossible. It's a non-starter.

At least think things through or go and have a look at the physical infrastructure.

You need to chill. I asked a question. What I got from you was a lecture, not an answer,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Can everyone please refrain from slagging each other.
    Let's play the ball not the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Same, what updating is needed?

No I just alstom might have released a newer model of citadis since last batch were delivered

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Stephen15 wrote: »
    No I just alstom might have released a newer model of citadis since last batch were delivered

Tram designs don't really change that often, to be honest. They'll be nearly identical bar the apparent length difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cormac616

Walked from Trinity to Stephens green yesterday and i was glad to see that they've started putting up the timeboards. Trinity stop is pretty much done too.

I took some pictures but can't post them cause i am a new user...

Also i noticed that they are continuing the tracks past Dawson street on Stephens green. Does anyone know what that is for? The alignment drawings say its a "Tram Arrester" whatever that is.

cormac616 wrote: »
    Walked from Trinity to Stephens green yesterday and i was glad to see that they've started putting up the timeboards. Trinity stop is pretty much done too.

Also i noticed that they are continuing the tracks past Dawson street on Stephens green. Does anyone know what that is for? The alignment drawings say its a "Tram Arrester" whatever that is.

Siding to hold a tram if required and allow reversing take place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cormac616 wrote: »

It's a turnback/shunt area.

Edit:
    Currently trams on the Luas Green Line use the existing crossover on St. Stephen’s Green West to turn back into service on reaching the terminus stop. Under the proposed scheme it would no longer be possible to use this crossover without impeding operations. Furthermore the proposed scheme will require the removal of the existing tram run-out area immediately north of the existing St. Stephen’s Green Stop which also caters for failed trams. To replace this facility, a connection will be provided into a single track shunt area east of the Dawson Street junction and on the south side of St. Stephen’s Green North. This shunt area will permit operational flexibility in offering the ability, as circumstances may dictate, to turn back trams from the extended Luas Green Line and in addition provide a refuge for a failed tram, the only such refuge between the depots at Sandyford and what is proposed at Broombridge. The ability to provide for this facility between Dawson Street and College Green was discounted due to conflict with road vehicles which would arise in a shared running environment
    From the railway order inspector's report.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/news/NA0004/RNA0004.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭riadach

In the allignment drawings there was supposed to be a small spur emerging across from Trinity to future-proof Line F.

Has this been installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In fairness, 147 does absolutely superb sandwiches and other food, really great place that is way above the quality of most other establishments on Parnell Street. Hopefully the works can finish up before they're significantly impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

“I worked on construction in New York and they would mill into the work.

“This is typically Irish. They must have filled in and dug up that same hole about ten times.

“They seemed to finish the track outside my door, but then returned this week to rip it up after noticing a ‘mistake’.”
    Obviously there are no mistakes made in construction in New York :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MJohnston wrote: »
    Hopefully the works can finish up before they're significantly impacted.

The works he knew of in advance of setting up his business and will bring thousands of people past his door daily when completed?

Those works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The works he knew of in advance of setting up his business and will bring thousands of people past his door daily when completed?

Those works?

Ah stop looking for an argument, I'm just trying to look at it from both perspectives, instead of moaning about moaning.

Advertisement