Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Hopefully it won't be with cheap Chinese granite either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I was looking at the plans for the Luas extension and noticed the connection to the red line.

Why does the east-bound line (heading to the point) connect backwards to the (south-bound) Marlborough line? Surely, the tram is going the wrong way at one end or the other - I would have thought it would be the west bound line (from the Point) that would connect to the Marlborough line.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it does look odd.

It's clear from the design that these connections are only to facilitate non-passenger movement of trams.

So far as I can see the only practical routes other than end to end operation of each line are:

A northbound green line tram could do a loop of the city centre and head back south. A southbound tram couldn't without switching at a crossover.

A green line tram could go west onto the red line but returning would require a manoeuvre at Abbey st.

In reality, I don't see anything other than north-south and east-west running and the famous "connection" that everyone was looking for will only for shunting trams from line to the other when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There will not be inter-line running. The points are purely to facilitate transfers between the lines where necessary, but will not be used in the normal course of operations.

There was never a plan for services to operate from the Red to the Green Line or v.v.

From what I gather the plan for the extended Green Line is for trams to operate either Brides Glen-Parnell Street or Sandyford-Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Telchak wrote: »
    IMG_0345%20%281024x768%29-XL.jpg

Scary picture! Hope care is taken reinstating these at the end of construction :(

Which side of the street are the trams running along here? Will they be sourcing more granite of a similar quality to fill in any gaps.

Even better yet it would be great if they would source similar granite for the entire stretch on both side of the street along here and remove most of the ugly street furniture. It would be a great place have this older paving.

I don't suppose there are any images of what this area is meant to look like after?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Any fúck up in relation to that paving would have me out on the streets. I've heard stories (possibly on here) that some Corpo workers would have driveways/patios at their homes built using these quintessential paving stones.
    Even better yet it would be great if they would source similar granite for the entire stretch on both side of the street along here and remove most of the ugly street furniture.

+1. If it can be sourced subject to EU tendering rules it would be an excellent and refreshingly unique (we seem to get last decade's UK paving and street furniture) space for the capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

nowecant wrote: »
    Even better yet it would be great if they would source similar granite for the entire stretch on both side of the street along here and remove most of the ugly street furniture. It would be a great place have this older paving.
    There are bits and pieces of similar old paving in scattered around the city, even Dorset Street has a decent number of old slabs although its pavements is mainly a mix of various slabs from the last 20 years and tarmac in places. If such slabs from around the city were removed and consolidated in College Green it would really improve the feel of the place. Having small isolated areas of these slabs doesnt do justice to the slabs, they should be brought together to create one large high quality public space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

where did the old granite paving come from

its the best looking paving stone in the city, I wish all the city footpaths were done in it

most of the modern stuff is rank

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Which side of the street are the trams running along here?

Both sides. Two sets of tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Boscod

nokia69 wrote: »
    where did the old granite paving come from

its the best looking paving stone in the city, I wish all the city footpaths were done in it

most of the modern stuff is rank

It came from quarrys in the Dublin / Wicklow mountains, Barnacullia, Ballyedmonduff, Ballynockan etc....still plenty of it in situ if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There are bits and pieces of similar old paving in scattered around the city, even Dorset Street has a decent number of old slabs although its pavements is mainly a mix of various slabs from the last 20 years and tarmac in places. If such slabs from around the city were removed and consolidated in College Green it would really improve the feel of the place. Having small isolated areas of these slabs doesnt do justice to the slabs, they should be brought together to create one large high quality public space.

Really like this idea. But why consolidate them when we can just mine more from outside Avoca. Also would love to see some streets (some of the lesser used ones like lanes etc.) returned to cobble stone. There are a few streets of Cobble on the north side near the old market and other places that look great.

But man I hate that grey, dull-as-dishwater patio slab crap they have dumped all over grafton street....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They let the Luas and all the various services (Eircom, ESB, etc) absolutely destroy the cohesiveness of the cobbles around a lot of the docks area. Castleforbes Road in particular is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

I had a look at the slabs as they were being removed. They took care not to have the slabs touching while stacked (wood on between them), and each slab was given an ID code. One would assume they are intending on putting each slab back precisely where it was.

But man I hate that grey, dull-as-dishwater patio slab crap they have dumped all over grafton street....

Im reserving judgement on the paving until its finished, but i would tend to agree with you, its not looking great. the paving at the edges is not too bad, a much warmer looking stone.

The street furniture on the other hand is an abomination. Is the entire 'Grafton Street' corner to be done in the same manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

stop wrote: »
    I had a look at the slabs as they were being removed. They took care not to have the slabs touching while stacked (wood on between them), and each slab was given an ID code. One would assume they are intending on putting each slab back precisely where it was.

I admire their intent, but the worn-out cynic in me says that for one reason or another this will never happen, and that paving will either be lost or destroyed, or put back piecemeal.

I really, truly hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Im reserving judgement on the paving until its finished, but i would tend to agree with you, its not looking great. the paving at the edges is not too bad, a much warmer looking stone.

The street furniture on the other hand is an abomination. Is the entire 'Grafton Street' corner to be done in the same manner?

I was in Henry Street yesterday and I'm actually amazed that the paving and furniture is actually miles better than the crap they used on Grafton Street. Grafton Street has lost all of its charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

As far as I'm aware the current street furniture is temporary, and they intend to replace all of it, as well as have art installations that function as furniture in certain locations.

The paving is still god awful though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The paving is still god awful though

I quite like it. It's a massive improvement on what was there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I really don't understand the animosity towards the paving on Grafton Street, particularly when it comes to people complaining that it's not red and 'more grey'. What colour is Talbot Street's paving? Red - but Talbot street is a kip regardless. The previous paving was cheap and ugly. It being red did not make up for that.

I think the new paving will look good once finished and I already do see like the stretches that are there, though I wish it was the shade of stone they've used in the borders - the sandstone(?).

Does anyone know what type of paving they plan on using in Stephens Green along the Luas Lines? Is it the same as what they are using along Grafton Street?

• Advertisement

Are we getting any new trains, or do we have enough to ensure frequency isn't impacted by the increases route-length?

There may well be enough trams given that frequencies were cut back a few years ago on both lines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lxflyer wrote: »
    There may well be enough trams given that frequencies were cut back a few years ago on both lines.

Also they can tansfer the trams from one line to the other, so they can long and short trams can be moved about, and adjust capacity.

Also they can tansfer the trams from one line to the other, so they can long and short trams can be moved about, and adjust capacity.
    They have already done that from time to time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, all the original trams from Green are on Red now - transferred via the back of a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There will need to be new ones soon enough. The Red line has just about enough currently to cater for demand.

Over 30 million last year on Luas, one would expect it to continue to rise by 2017, not to mention the extra numbers once BXD opens.

The cut in services is more less reversed at peak times and at other times.

No way will they cater for demand without extra stock as areas on the Green line will pick up once construction of housing increases again towards Brides Glen as with Saggart. Once you factor in the extended lines that opened, it take away the excess capacity there would of being with a service reduction,

Most recently in 2013:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/luas-at-capacity-and-needs-new-carriages-29482731.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

The BXD project funding includes ten new trams. The new depot at Broombridge looks big enough to hold more than that if needed. I think the platform lengths also allow that the current trams can be lengthened another few metres too.

Tender would want to go out soon - or was there an option clause in the last set?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Don't know if it's just me but the green line seems particularly on the last few months during the morning rush hour. a good sign for the economy perhaps but uncomfortable for the passengers. Not sure if the frequency can be upped though - they're already coming every 3 months as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

My understanding is that services to Sandyford will continue to Broombridge and services to Cherrywood will loop back at Parnell street. I think if this is the plan then maybe they are underestimating the demand on the north side and very soon they will need to readjust frequencies to meet the extra passengers on the north side extension.

Advertisement