Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Dunno. Thats a nice pic and red seats would just make it look tacky and gaudy IMHO. The grey seats there are nice and blend in better with the surrounding environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

zetalambda wrote: »
    image.jpg

I think that looks great. Really well actually, but I know some people would prefer if it was a copy and paste eurostadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Seats look great, nice and modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

CHealy wrote: »
    Seats look great, nice and modern.

I'm very impressed with this ... totally new bit giving a nod to the old PuC ...and good value for money in my opinion ...I think the seats add class as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Seeing that one massive over-sized stand really makes it look awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

zetalambda wrote: »
    image.jpg
    Something very New Zealand looking about that photograph. You wouldn't think it was taken in Ireland. To be fair the stadium looks a lot better in that image than in others I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

how will the flood lighting be mounted on the larger two-tier stand side? I can't make it out from the pic above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

It looks great! It probably would have been expensive to paint the seats red and white, and when they couldn't repaint them every once in a while, people would just complain it looked run down. I haven't passed it in a while but there is a tall block outside the entrance and I believe I saw them putting the Cork crest on it (or else I saw it in a render)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

DylanGLC wrote: »
    It looks great! It probably would have been expensive to paint the seats red and white, and when they couldn't repaint them every once in a while, people would just complain it looked run down. I haven't passed it in a while but there is a tall block outside the entrance and I believe I saw them putting the Cork crest on it (or else I saw it in a render)

Why would you paint seats? Surly they come in red and white or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

DylanGLC wrote: »

The seats would have been orderd and formed using red or white plastics.
    They wont paint them now.

Maybe the seats are second hand and they got them on the cheap?

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned the seat colour was a planning condition. No idea if that's the case though. Just heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think the seats are an issue really, red and white would have been good if it was an all-seater, IMO.

As it is, someone said it earlier,from that view it kind of blends a but more in with the surronding backdrop rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah Grey seats matches grey terrace better than red seats. The multicoloured ones that were there previously were an eyesore

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

I think we missed a genuine opportunity here.

The current colours make it look like some generic municipal stadium.

The seated stands should have been red and white at the very least. The whole stadium should be awash with Cork colours, logos, etc. It would instill pride in Cork players and supporters alike. It would have left opposing teams in no doubt where they were.

This is not Croke Park, which is owned by HQ. It is Cork's stadium.

Maybe/hopefully PUC management have plans along these lines eventually anyway.

In fairness, they did do a good job building it, so credit where credit is due, but it could have done with something that made it unique and undeniably Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Meursault wrote: »
    I think we missed a genuine opportunity here.

The current colours make it look like some generic municipal stadium.

The seated stands should have been red and white at the very least. The whole stadium should be awash with Cork colours, logos, etc. It would instill pride in Cork players and supporters alike. It would have left opposing teams in no doubt where they were.

Sure the fans will do that, don't reckon that will be a problem. The current look is tidier IMO, can't imagine it would look that great in that aerial view or looking across from the Northside or the tall buildings we hear will eventually be built in the docklands if it was full of red and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

In paint I meant when the plastic chairs start fading and stuff. I don't know, I would assume that would be more noticeable than the grey/black

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mja2109

Does anybody know if they're still going to clad the outside? On the main stand they've red cladding. From looking at imagines it looks like this was suppose to be used to wrap around the whole stadium. However, I've yet to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think that looks great. Really well actually, but I know some people would prefer if it was a copy and paste eurostadium.

true actually. Reminds me of those awesome old soviet stadia like the old Donetsk one. Looks like a similar view in the picture from the "good" stand.

AaFLSHS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I think the seating colours are ok. Red would have looked a bit cheap. Overall appearance is really really underwhelming though. Half baked, incongruous and a missed opportunity. A real shame. Cork could have something to be really proud of. Still it's an improvement and I'm sure it'll be appreciated by players and supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Joe.ie have an 'article' today on PUC being in danger of losing the Quarter finals. Given the source you can take that with a metric tonne of salt, but at the same time, no smoke without fire etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I heard something on the radio about that yesterday, that given the teams playing on the day the capacity may not be enough.

deRanged wrote: »
    I heard something on the radio about that yesterday, that given the teams playing on the day the capacity may not be enough.

Haha. All the complaining on the thread about it being too big and it mightn't be able to host big games because it's too small.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Haha. All the complaining on the thread about it being too big and it mightn't be able to host big games because it's too small.......
    Think the Quarters were billed as a double header so it seems the issue is with playing two games here, particularly if Cork are participating in one.

Too small for a double header alright I'd say given the support of some counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I like it, but I simply don't get why anyone would build a new open stadium in Ireland, with the weather and all...

I get that most GAA grounds are like this and they wanted to keep that look, but it's horribly outdated. I guess cost has to come into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

The issue with the quarters is what teams are going to be playing. The stadium will be ready its just what teams they'll be able to fit in. If it's cork v Wexford for example not a hope. Doubtful that it'll be a double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

@ShaneH1525

DD_VwCZXkAApEw2.jpg:large

Looks like the catch nets behind the goals is being hung stand to stand like Croke Park. Better look than two pylons imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Gates open outwards will the catch net impede their use in an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

@ShaneH1525

DD_VwCZXkAApEw2.jpg:large

Looks like the catch nets behind the goals is being hung stand to stand like Croke Park. Better look than two pylons imo.

This is the first pic of the stands I've seen and I think it looks decent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

true actually. Reminds me of those awesome old soviet stadia like the old Donetsk one. Looks like a similar view in the picture from the "good" stand.

AaFLSHS.jpg

Now that is one ugly looking stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

They really should have large PVC glass panels on each side of the big stand. People will get some soaking in bad weather otherwise

Advertisement