Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

fonzy951 wrote: »
    Frank this...Frank that...zzzzz...so boring
    Well, you could always just get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

D'Agger wrote:
    It seems everybody just needs to get over it already

Over €80m very questionably spent. "Nothing to see here people, move along please."

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Well, you could always just get over it.

We saw the card board box stadiums presented in an earlier post costing a lot more that 80 million, so not sure exactly what is expected for the money. Didn't the Aviva cost 350 million and one side isn't properly finished off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

fonzy951 wrote: »
    We saw the card board box stadiums presented in an earlier post costing a lot more that 80 million, so not sure exactly what is expected for the money. Didn't the Aviva cost 350 million and one side isn't properly finished off.
    410 million
    Funded by 3 different organisations (Government/IRFU/FAI)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

blue note wrote: »
    Over €80m very questionably spent. "Nothing to see here people, move along please."
    Oh I'm being sarcastic....very sarcastic

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote:
    Oh I'm being sarcastic....very sarcastic

Many apologies. There are some on here that really do think that talking about this now is pointless. Like, it's only eighty something million, what's everyone getting excited about?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

410 million
    Funded by 3 different organisations (Government/IRFU/FAI)

a real bargain :D ...pity they couldn't finish it properly, doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Aviva was done like that because of the houses at the back of the stadium and the "right to light" issues, the Aviva is in essence a big glass house that allows light through becasue of the housing estates at the away end of the ground being within metres of the stadium.

They could have attempted to buy out the residences or attempted to push for an issue a CPO to residences but that would have set the project back even more money and would have been met with considerable opposition, I dont think it was needed nor worth it to add another 10k or so of seating and "complete" the look.

In contrast, the GAA had a blank canvas and space and have managed to re-build a near exact, yet modernised, replica of what went before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I seen the floodlights going in the other week and was genuinely surprised they werent incorporated into the underside of the stand and keep the lines clean and flush, theyre an eye sore, IMO.
    The floodlights are the same as the London Olympic stadium was during the Olympics - presume there's a reason for them being up there.
    Olympic_Stadium_%28London%29%2C_1_September_2012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GavRedKing wrote: »

In contrast, the GAA had a blank canvas and space and have managed to re-build a near exact, yet modernised, replica of what went before it.

The Aviva cost over €400m versus c.€80m for PUC.

• Advertisement

Thats a giant picture. :o

I agree though, I'm assuming there up where they are for a reason and its nothing to do with asthetics.

At a guess I'm assuming theyre using the foundations at the back of the stand for strength instead of thicking the internal beams and hanging lights off the underside of the stand.

Could also be that there that height on the stand so that people in the upper end of the main stand arent blinded by lights opposite them at a much lower level, i.e, bolted to the underside of the stand, I'm just spit balling though.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Theres a reason for that though, the RFU/FAI had to build a multi purpose, modern all seater stadium that was capable of hosting European finals for both codes and host concerts if needed.

Different criteria for both stadiums.

PUC is fit for purpose but its not going to end the arguments over "what could have been".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

410m later and I think the Aviva looks awful, inside. That mini end looks shocking, I understand because of light restrictions etc but it totally takes away from the stadium. From the outside it is much more impressive.

The páirc was never going to be a Super style stadium. It should however be excellent for concerts, have super conference facilities, have a corporate aspect that the old one didn't, have proper sized changing rooms, 4g pitch, have floodlights, have complete viewing with no pillars in the way, be completely new, and ......most importantly, not be a death trap.

Not too shabby really for 80m.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    410m later and I think the Aviva looks awful, inside. That mini end looks shocking, I understand because of light restrictions etc but it totally takes away from the stadium. From the outside it is much more impressive.

The páirc was never going to be a Super style stadium. It should however be excellent for concerts, have super conference facilities, have a corporate aspect that the old one didn't, have proper sized changing rooms, 4g pitch, have floodlights, have complete viewing with no pillars in the way, be completely new, and ......most importantly, not be a death trap.

Not too shabby really for 80m.

Well said !!.....less that a quarter of the money

namloc1980 wrote:

What does the income look like for each of them though? The aviva has a few rugby and soccer internationals each year, occasional club games when the demand calls for it, a couple of concerts each year and seems to have a heap of conferences, Christmas parties and the like in there every year. Puc will have a few league and club games each year that would have fit and had a better atmosphere in pairc ui rinn, a championship game or two each year that actually justify it's existence, the odd year one or two more or less. And possibly an occasional concert.

I'd say the aviva generates serious money at this stage for the irfu / fai. Puc will be a millstone around cork gaas neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

blue note wrote: »
    I'd say the aviva generates serious money at this stage for the irfu / fai. Puc will be a millstone around cork gaas neck.
    Both are still in big debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I think the new floodlights look great, at least its something a bit different to the 4 corner pillars most other grounds have. Does anyone know if there are any plans for a big screen?

For 80 million I think the stadium looks fantastic, a huge new 3 tiered stand that can hold corporate facilities, a new covered small stand opposite, and they managed to hold onto the steep terraces that will give the place a bit of old style character and atmosphere.

CHealy wrote: »
    I think the new floodlights look great, at least its something a bit different to the 4 corner pillars most other grounds have. Does anyone know if there are any plans for a big screen?
    Great views :pac:
    GN4_DAT_6693928.jpg--limerick_gaa_consider_selling_gaelic_grounds.jpg

There's an 18m big screen ordered and will be installed March/April 2018

There's an 18m big screen ordered and will be installed March/April 2018
    Would be great to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love the GAA but I hate some who run it, and I be first to roar if I thought it was wrong.

I like the stadium. I like that it still has that GAA feel to it, and im actually glad its not all seater. I like Lansdowne road too when its full and atmosphere is full place rocks, but they are far and few between.

Its a nice bit of business for 80m. I think maybe the capacity might have been reduced by 5-6,000 but that be my only gripe. Its new, its fresh, but it still keeps that old style feel.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Both are still in big debt.
    I thought that the FAI had significantly reduced their debt (~35m); not on track for 2020 as they hoped, but I'd read somewhere that they were getting closer to it.
    The IRFU don't have huge debt if I remember correctly. They also have the stadium naming rights coming back in 2020 (probably earn them ~50m).

Do you have a link to the debts you found?

I thought that the FAI had significantly reduced their debt (~35m); not on track for 2020 as they hoped, but I'd read somewhere that they were getting closer to it.
    The IRFU don't have huge debt if I remember correctly. They also have the stadium naming rights coming back in 2020 (probably earn them ~50m).

Do you have a link to the debts you found?
    You're right. The IRFU have paid off their portion of the Landsdowne development ages ago. FAI are a good bit behind but on track after getting some dept written off last year.
    Munster are still paying back the IRFU for Thomond park but thats looking a bit better after the recent financial reports last month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

FAI are a good bit behind

Not at all surprising considering John Delaney's Salary :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not at all surprising considering John Delaney's Salary :rolleyes:.

Ridiculous salary but there also heavily reliant on qualification and progress in the major tournaments to boost revenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Big news coming out this morning about the Paircs first announced event

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ed Sheeran - 2 days - May 4th and 5th 2018

420979.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ludo wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran - 2 days - May 4th and 5th 2018

Not a fan but great news for PUC, Cork and the South - hopefully this will be a common occurrence.

• Advertisement

Theyve pulled out a very big act anyway, well, I cant stand Ed Sheerans music personally but it will bring a huge crowd to Leeside and sell out the stadium twice, thats good for the local economy.

Advertisement