Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

If Kidney is dumb enough to dismiss Reddan because of today (and he could be) and he picks Murray in the very poor form that he's in, I'll be very disappointed.
    Of course he will - but saying that knowing kidney reddan was never in the equation at all - murray is a part of a group of players that kidney loves which includes -Earls, TOL & most older players

you could make a team of players that kidney is biased against that would give kidney's team a run for its money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

If Kidney is dumb enough to dismiss Reddan because of today (and he could be) and he picks Murray in the very poor form that he's in, I'll be very disappointed.

I reckon even if Reddan repeated his Bath performance today, Murray will be in the 9 jersey. Form is not the deciding factor for him for Ireland; never has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Clegg wrote: »
    Earls went ok against Treviso last week but he was nothing special. Right now he's the 4th best Irish wing and the 3rd best centre. The Castres match showed the problems that he has in his game right now.

Why should Earls form from last season matter? Right now he's not in form and there is only 1 more competitive fixture before the 6 Nations. If he does well against Northampton then he should be considered but theres players in the Irish squad that have been in good form all season that deserve their place in front of him.

His form from last season matters as, it unequivocally shows that it doesn't take him "3/4 matches to play himself back into form on the wing". In what I was able to see of him yesterday, he made a bum pass and was limping around the field. Benefit of the doubt - for a player returning from injury into a different position and surrounded by a terribly coached backline - obviously doesn't apply...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Brendan97 wrote: »
    Of course he will - but saying that knowing kidney reddan was never in the equation at all - murray is a part of a group of players that kidney loves which includes -Earls, TOL & most older players

you could make a team of players that kidney is biased against that would give kidney's team a run for its money
    Kidney has started Reddan in the past though, so I'd have some faith in him picking the better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

GerM wrote: »
    We're not all Munster people, just call it as we see it and Ryan was superb yesterday. It's an extremely tight call but he has experience playing alongside POC and within the Irish set up so gets the nod. Tuohy deserves recognition and should get caps in the 6N.

Much as i'd love to see the 2 lads in the mix for starting or bench in the 6n.....niggly feeling that kidney will still find a place for DOC....hope i'm proved wrong and that players will make the squad on merit and not on history...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Kidney has started Reddan in the past though, so I'd have some faith in him picking the better player.
    I supppose........but then again as murray played more with munster the more he played with ireland up until the point where kidney saw murray as his first-choice SH mid-way through the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

So we're sure Reddan is the better player? Did you honesty feel Reddan played better today than Murray played yesterday? If we were to honestly pick the best 9 from this weekend then Boss would have to be in the mix! Hold fire until after next weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Benny Cake wrote: »
    So we're sure Reddan is the better player? Did you honesty feel Reddan played better today than Murray played yesterday? If we were to honestly pick the best 9 from this weekend then Boss would have to be in the mix! Hold fire until after next weekend...

They were both mostly grim. Tweedledum and Tweedledee to be honest. Reddan at his best is a decnt enough players. I don't think we've seen the best of Murray - if we have the rest must be feckin' awful.

No, but Reddan was way worse than usual whereas Murray was slightly better than usual. I think Murray was better than Reddan this week, but I think Murray was much worse last week.

Also, Reddan was against much better opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lads the answer to the number nine problem is obvious! What about an old fan favourite...

Irish_Sport_10-1_jp_474146t.jpg

Regards,
    D. Kidney

• Advertisement

But Reddan plays on a much better team. Anyhooo, I reckon its all to play for and they'll both see decent time playing time during the 6 nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No, but Reddan was way worse than usual whereas Murray was slightly better than usual. I think Murray was better than Reddan this week, but I think Murray was much worse last week.

Murray got MOTM in his last HEC game against Scarlets. Not sure why people think he's in poor form, he's going well imo.

Murray got MOTM in his last HEC game against Scarlets. Not sure why people think he's in poor form, he's going well imo.

He'll get his try eventually too.

But Reddan plays on a much better team. Anyhooo, I reckon its all to play for and they'll both see decent time playing time during the 6 nations.
    Better team thanks to their brilliant 9 :p

Better team thanks to their brilliant 9 :p

Well played Sir!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

His form from last season matters as, it unequivocally shows that it doesn't take him "3/4 matches to play himself back into form on the wing". In what I was able to see of him yesterday, he made a bum pass and was limping around the field. Benefit of the doubt - for a player returning from injury into a different position and surrounded by a terribly coached backline - obviously doesn't apply...
    It took him 3 games to actually get into form in the World Cup. He did nothing of note until the Russia game. He was also extremely poor on the wing and in centre for Ireland during the warm-up games. Our form back Andrew Trimble was ignored and sat on his arse for most of the WC. He played decent enough in our next few matches but overall he only had a passable World Cup by his standards.

I don't think Earls is a bad player. He's a good one who is in poor form. He's like Fitzgerald was last season, coming back from injury and playing out of position. Fitz played for Ireland at full-back because he was seen as the best option available. But Earls is in a different position entirely. Right now there are a number of players in cenrtre and on the wing who are playing much better than him. If the 6 Nations squad was picked on current form then Earls would be lucky to make the 22. If he were in form then he'd probably start for Ireland but we don't have that luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Is it just me or does anyone else think Murray is fairly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭chancer12

Sindri, most non-Munster supporters would agree with you! IMO he's as over-rated as Reddan is under-rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

What did you think of Chris Henry this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Sindri wrote: »
    chancer12 wrote: »
    Sindri, most non-Munster supporters would agree with you! IMO he's as over-rated as Reddan is under-rated

Murray is over-rated indeed, but I think Reddan is rated about fairly. My impression is that people think of him as close to what he is; a pretty good player most of the time but someone who is prone to some terrible decisions and terrible days also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It was not a vintage week for Irish SHs. Reddan seemed caught up in the general Leinster malaise and as for Murray, when TOL comes on and speeds things up it tells you everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I agree. Not really impressed by him. Not fast enough to get the ball away. I'd prefer Redden although he blows hot and cold. Murray should get on the substitute bench though. I think he can improve as he's young but think he's fairly average at all parts of his game. Redden (when in form) controls the tempo much better IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I think Murray is the sort of scrum-half who suits the sort of game that Munster are playing at the moment, and is also the sort of scrum-half who Kidney favours, i.e. athletic, strong carrier into contact etc etc. Munster aren't interested in playing a wide, expansive game (or lack the players to do so atm), and they're doing well by keeping it tight through the forwards, so this suits Murray.

However, when it comes to making the step up to internationals, we have to take it up a notch, look to move the ball more quickly and get more width on it and at this stage, Murray isn't really the man for that, but he is very young and has lots of time to develop.

Reddan is the best all-round SH we have, but he is maddeningly inconsistent. No-one can put the sort of pace on the game that he can, but too often you're left with your mouth open asking, "what the f**k was he thinking?"

On recent form, we'd be picking Marshall but it ain't going to happen. I think the best option may actually be Boss, but you have to assume Murray will get the nod for Ireland.

]
    On recent form, we'd be picking Marshall but it ain't going to happen. I think the best option may actually be Boss, but you have to assume Murray will get the nod for Ireland.

Unless Marshall is starting & getting first team Heineken Cup experience for Ulster, he won't be included in the Irish squad, let alone starting.

I think Murray is the sort of scrum-half who suits the sort of game that Munster are playing at the moment, and is also the sort of scrum-half who Kidney favours, i.e. athletic, strong carrier into contact etc etc. Munster aren't interested in playing a wide, expansive game (or lack the players to do so atm), and they're doing well by keeping it tight through the forwards, so this suits Murray.

However, when it comes to making the step up to internationals, we have to take it up a notch, look to move the ball more quickly and get more width on it and at this stage, Murray isn't really the man for that, but he is very young and has lots of time to develop.

Reddan is the best all-round SH we have, but he is maddeningly inconsistent. No-one can put the sort of pace on the game that he can, but too often you're left with your mouth open asking, "what the f**k was he thinking?"

If you want to play a SH to put pace on the game, you play Stringer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Unless Marshall is starting & getting first team Heineken Cup experience for Ulster, he won't be included in the Irish squad, let alone starting.

Absolutely.

but in fairness to him;
    a) he's played in all their HC games and started two
    b) if any of the other Irish scrum-halves were competing with Pienaar, they'd be on the bench too.

I'd like to see Marshall at least play for the Wolfhounds but the senior squad won't happen for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Shame. Marshall looks like a bit of a cute hoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

danthefan wrote: »
    What did you think of Chris Henry this weekend?

Didn't watch the game, will he be challenging SOB for 7?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If you want to play a SH to put pace on the game, you play Stringer.

Stringer had an absolute nightmare cameo for Saracencs when he came on. Was blocked down with a simple box kick, almost cost them the game, and looked completely out of his depth. Nothing left to offer at Heineken Cup level. Was brought in as emergency cover as they only had an academy guy left, now he's benching behind the academy guy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Murray gave Munster a big boost at the end of last season when he burst on the scene. He can pass, is consistent, is a running threat and has a good rugby brain. Not overrated at all. Its not like what happened a few years ago when TOL burst on the scene. Murray has talent.

His performances this season have not been as good mainly because of the time he takes to get the ball from a ruck. The Munster back play has been terrible this season and the coaches don't have much of a clue whats going on. Its not a great enviornment for young players to be involved in. Mafi has been bad, Barnes has also lost confidence and was playing better in the summer and also looks to have lost a bit of confidence since then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement