Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

cookie1977 wrote: »
    any judge in any court would classify being kicked off the network as a penalty.

Why? If the contract is broken you have sustained no loss, the most you could look for is that 02 be forced to keep your existing call charge rate for the duration of your contract. If you choose to terminate the contract, then you have no contract with them and they are probably within their rights not to provide a service to you if you they don't want to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Why? If the contract is broken you have sustained no loss, the most you could look for is that 02 be forced to keep your existing call charge rate for the duration of your contract. If you choose to terminate the contract, then you have no contract with them and they are probably within their rights not to provide a service to you if you they don't want to

I chose to terminate the fixed term contract but not the service. There's a difference. People are on O2 normally without contracts and there are people on O2 with contracts. They both get a service. I chose to terminate contract not service because of a change to my T&C. I'm happy to stay with the changes to my T&C as long as I'm admonished from my fixed term contract as allowed under the 2003 regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I chose to terminate the fixed term contract but not the service. There's a difference. People are on O2 normally without contracts and there are people on O2 with contracts. They both get a service. I chose to terminate contract not service because of a change to my T&C. I'm happy to stay with the changes to my T&C as long as I'm admonished from my fixed term contract as allowed under the 2003 regulations.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Haddockman wrote: »
    I am not your pal.

Haddockman, you seem genuinely irritated by people exercising their rights (at the admitted expense of a large company).

O2 are blatantly capable of exploiting small print and loop holes for their own benefit.

Are you an o2 shareholder or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

Right so I signed up about 3 weeks ago on the €60 a month tariff.....350mins, unlimited txts to any network and unlimited internet.

I also signed up to the 18 month contract.

Can I get out of this but still keep the plan im on or what way is this working??? I dont want to ring them up and not know what I am talking about and then getting screwed by them

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

FungiWalsh wrote: »
    Just off the phone with a customer service rep (who was very pleasant throughout, which is impressive considering the amount of hassle this has no doubt caused them) and I'm officially out of my contract. They haven't kicked me off the network or anything either.

Many, many thanks to the OP! I also owe you a pint. :)

exact same here didn't even mention leaving the network which I probably will but they just said that I am opted out and am continuing on my current plan with no contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

quad_red wrote: »
    Haddockman, you seem genuinely irritated by people exercising their rights (at the admitted expense of a large company).

O2 are blatantly capable of exploiting small print and loop holes for their own benefit.

Are you an o2 shareholder or something?
    Not at all. In fact I hate their guts.

I am just stating they are within their rights to boot people off.

Personally I would take the get away from o2 card free and go to another network.

Not at all. In fact I hate their guts.

I am just stating they are within their rights to boot people off.

Personally I would take the get away from o2 card free and go to another network.

Ah but they do offer good deals to some people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

dub0605 wrote: »
    Right so I signed up about 3 weeks ago on the €60 a month tariff.....350mins, unlimited txts to any network and unlimited internet.

Can I get out of this but still keep the plan im on or what way is this working??? I dont want to ring them up and not know what I am talking about and then getting screwed by them

Thanks

get out of the fixed term contract? yes

stay on the plan whilst free from this contract? depends who you talk to on 1909 but the overall picture is also, yes

man i wish i signed up in the last few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

dub0605 wrote: »

Thanks

Yes, you can withdraw from your contract but remain on the network on your current plan for as long as you like. Good luck:)

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    get out of the fixed term contract? yes

stay on the plan whilst free from this contract? depends who you talk to on 1909 but the overall picture is also, yes

man i wish i signed up in the last few weeks

I just got my upgrade 6 weeks ago. Had to sign an 18 month extension for a new phone. I'm chuffed. The grin on my face is HUGE :D I feel like I've just robbed a bank and gotten away with it and hung around to watch the aftermath without any consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Without wanting to read all 23 pages here people. I have read the first few pages.

So can sumone advise if this is true and anyone under contract can opt out now.

Im 11 months into an 18month plan @ 45euros a month.

I did receive a call offering me 40 a month a couple of weeks ago but decided to wait and see.

Wouldnt mind getting out of contract now really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I just hate the bitchin' people are doing about being ousted off a network they just claimed was overcharging.

You aren't invoking section 17 because you don't like being in a contract - you're invoking it as you don't agree to the terms of O2's service.

I chose to terminate the fixed term contract but not the service. There's a difference.

yes but as I said as you have no contract with them to supply you with a service they don't have to. Yes other people are allowed stay on but that is at the discretion of O2.

Can you please show me the article that stipulates they HAVE to provide you with a service once you are no longer in a contract with them. Yes it mightn't make any financial sense but that doesn't mean they can't do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sheehanpaul

You want to terminate the contract by citing a loophole fine, then o2 are within their rights not to do any further business with you.

If I was providing you a service and you wanted to terminate your contract early by use of a loophole, I would certainly not want you as a customer any longer.

It's not a loophole. It's the law.
    Contract law is there to protect both parties.

Companies use it, consumers use it.

Notice of intent to breach the contract by any party, gives the other party the right to terminate the contract, without penalty.
    Denial of service is a penalty.

It has worked against o2 in this case (they got away with it the last two times). The same lawy has been used against many consumers many times.

yes but as I said as you have no contract with them to supply you with a service they don't have to. Yes other people are allowed they on but that is at the discretion of O2.

Can you please show me the article that stipulates they HAVE to provide you with a service once you are no longer in a contract with them. Yes it mightn't make any financial sense but that doesn't mean they can't do it

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. Prior to my recent contract I was out of contract for 2 years so you're telling me I was "lucky" to be allowed to stay with O2 during that time? No I dont think so. If they terminated my service because of this single issue it would be a "penalty" under the regulations.

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Without wanting to read all 23 pages here people. I have read the first few pages.

So can sumone advise if this is true and anyone under contract can opt out now.

Im 11 months into an 18month plan @ 45euros a month.

I did receive a call offering me 40 a month a couple of weeks ago but decided to wait and see.

Wouldnt mind getting out of contract now really.

Just ring 1909 and tell them you want to cancel your contract. Quote regulation 17 and point out that you have the right to cancel without penalty. You can then either stay on your current plan, change plans or port to another network, whatever's your pleasure

mayordenis wrote: »
    exact same here didn't even mention leaving the network which I probably will but they just said that I am opted out and am continuing on my current plan with no contract.

:D

Just got the call back, dude also apologised for the earlier confusion.

He also asked did I want to move to another price plan, no thanks says I.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Fionagus wrote: »
    Just ring 1909 and tell them you want to cancel your contract. Quote regulation 17 and point out that you have the right to cancel without penalty. You can then either stay on your current plan, change plans or port to another network, whatever's your pleasure

Is it then possible to make the phone ready to go or not.

Im assuming not

They can make your sim prepay.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you. Prior to my recent contract I was out of contract for 2 years so you're telling me I was "lucky" to be allowed to stay with O2 during that time? No I dont think so.

as I said, can you show me where it states they HAVE to allow you stay on their Network once the contract is terminated. As I already stated it might not make business sense but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Truthfully this is starting to feel like a bargain alerts thread where people see an obvious misprice and their start calling joe duffy when they don't get what they want stipulating every law under the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Im assuming not

Yes, it is possible.

I went from Advance 150 to clear sim but I did have the option to go to Speakeasy.

The one thing they wouldn't let me do was stay on an advance plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Im assuming not

Other people in the thread have said they have done it so it doesn't seem to be a problem

as I said, can you show me where it states they HAVE to allow you stay on their Network once the contract is terminated. As I already stated it might not make business sense but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Truthfully this is starting to feel like a bargain alerts thread where people see an obvious misprice and their start calling joe duffy when they don't get what they want stipulating every law under the sun

Look. There is no specific article. They can of course terminate my contract if they have grounds. But. If they try to terminate my contract under this single issue it would be a penalty which is against the regulations. Lets just agree to disagree. There are plenty of people who are now no longer on contract with O2 but remain customers. I think this speaks for itself. This is no misprice. This is completely above board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Im assuming not
    yes it is, i rang this morning and had one of my nums converted to prepay over the phone, without penalty.. happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

can anyone with some business acumen tell me, is this the biggest frack up ever made by a company, or is the % of iphone customers cancelling contracts only a minute portion of their total revenue ? and they are willing to shrug it off....why have they let it go this far ? interested to know, seems to be a shot in the foot to me ?

yes but as I said as you have no contract with them to supply you with a service they don't have to. Yes other people are allowed stay on but that is at the discretion of O2.

I've had a mobile for around 16 years and have spent more time out of contract than in one. O2 have always been happy to have my business either way. O2 make their money out of supplying a service, you're making it sound as if they're doing me a favour by deigning to take €150 from me each month!

BOBBY wrote: »
    can anyone with some business acumen tell me, is this the biggest frack up ever made by a company, or is the % of iphone customers cancelling contracts only a minute portion of their total revenue ? and they are willing to shrug it off....why have they let it go this far ? interested to know, seems to be a shot in the foot to me ?
    Probably not that many people are availing of this. But if it got onto Joe Duffy it would snowball.

quad_red wrote: »
    I went from Advance 150 to clear sim but I did have the option to go to Speakeasy.

The one thing they wouldn't let me do was stay on an advance plan.

You should try ringing back about that. My OH ported to O2 last month and signed up to an Advance plan, the lowest one I think. He's just cancelled his contract and they had no problem letting him stay on his current plan. Alternatively, you could PM one of the mods in the O2 forum because it seems really odd that you've been treated this way when the majority have not

• Advertisement

BOBBY wrote: »

Although I'm not a business head. I would say that it isn't the biggest feck up ever. Sure just look at the amount of people on here who are staying with O2 even though they have finished their contract. Presumably they will all be paying the new price hikes anyway and still paying their bills every month so O2 aren't losing that much money unless they move to another Provider. The biggest loss will be people who recently received highly subsided phones and are now porting away as O2 haven't had the chance to claw back the subsidy yet.

Now that all said I doubt O2 realised what they were getting them selves in for when they did this as they may have expected some to know their legal rights but probably didn't anticipate it going onto one of the largest sites in Ireland and even their own forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement