Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The I.T Crowd - Season 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

That twist was brilliant..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone know how long they spent shooting this series? Can't have been more than 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wouldn't call that redeeming. Weak season. And a cheap cameo was all we got from Richmond. Don't think they should bother with a 5th season unless they actually got him to sign on for more than 2 minutes.
    Or if they could write Chris Morris back in. (very wishful thinking)
    Think I'll go throw on season one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That was shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watching it I was prompted to think about how Linehan probably wrote this series - he spent the last year or so pottering about and every time he had an idea for a scene he's scribble it down and then flesh it out a bit on the old PC. Then come the deadline simply copy and pasted them together into a sequence that vaguely hung together.

I laughed at times but not in the way I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,786 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Awful stuff really. I got a couple of giggles from a few lines but not with the same consistency you'd expect from 'The IT Crowd'

Apart from the cameo from Richmond and the scene with Moss in the witness box ("thank you, my love!") - it was absolutely atrocious!

Matt Berry is fantastic.. but the decision to go an entire episode with about 2 minutes of Roy and Moss was just downright wrong.

I sincerally think Linehan should have stuck with the 3 season standard - Black Books, Father Ted etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Horrible end to a woeful season tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Yep, hugely disappointing finale. Shocked to find myself writing that I would have almost preferred no Season 4!
    Let's hope the team brought in to write Season 5 try and move beyond a few tired malapropisms like damp squid/damp squib.
    Matt Berry has been a revelation on the sinking ship that is the IT crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Crap season. Totally different to the IT Crowd of season 1 + 2.

No more thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's actually a shame it's been renewed for a fifth season.

Graham Linehan, I am disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No one seems to have liked this series, I thought that, on the whole, it's been good though.

The Street Countdown episode was just brilliant, highlight of the whole show for me; alongside the 'Gay musical' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Disappointing episode - don't think the Richmond cameo really worked to be honest... Good to see Fielding again, but it felt a bit forced...
    I did like how they cast Will's Mum from the Inbetweeners to play Douglas' wife...
    Just not enough Moss and Roy in this episode...
    Hope they can manage to bring it back on form in season 5, but as some people have already said - I almost would've preferred if they left it at 3 seasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Moss' testimony was hilarious. Ayaode rocks! I also really enjoyed Richmond's promotional DVD. It was fairly meh otherwise, though.

"She used to hang around railway stations with her hands in her sleeves, now she's a lifeguard in Mumbai." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

An episode centred on Douglas that featured a cameo from Richmond - it should have been brilliant. But it was a very disappointing finale. :(

Having said that, I loved Episodes 2, 4 and 5, so I don't think the show is totally dead yet. I'll still watch the fifth season - hopefully it'll be an improvement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JazzPotato

Well I thought it was funny...ha.
    Not as good as the last series' but still good!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm not an avid fan, but have all three series and enjoyed them..not watched much of this series

Is this not though what people were asking for before...more out of the office and more of Matt Berry (I have long disagreed)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I did like how they cast Will's Mum from the Inbetweeners to play Douglas' wife...

That's who she was! fecking milf! if she actually has a kid in real life!

However overall,really sad to say it was just not a good episode and not a good season. I think Seasons 1 and 2 were brilliant and season 3 had probaby 4 out 6 very good episodes,which is not bad at all.

But this season there were only 2 out of 6 episodes that were good IMO. the countdown episode and last week's with the shoplifting etc. 2 out of 6 is really not that good especially considering the other 4 weren't average,they were just kind of bad,only an odd laugh here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭rfrederick

Moss' witness box performance and Richmond's cameo were the only two decent spots. The rest was awful. I do hope the team in the fifth season steers things back toward geek humour. That's what originally got me hooked on the show in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that was a load of 'aul cobblers really. Generally season 4 has been rubbish, with little of the geeky humour that marked out the series originally. This final episode summed up season 4 really - forced gags and an over-reliance on Renholm. He's funny in small doses, but he cropped up nearly every episode.

Count me out of watching a season 5, if there is going to be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Get back to the I.T., where are the frickin servers? Have e-mail broken for the company or something because Jen plugged in her hair straightener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Meh, season 4 has been a mess really. Graham seems to have run out of ideas what to do with the show, many of the jokes are forced and take too long to deliver.

Put a fork in this, I think it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

They still work together as a team, so dont rule it out. One last series, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I liked more episodes than I disliked so I cant be too harsh. It was a mixture of some great highs and bad lows.

I agree that it should get back to the geek humour more. Thats what made it great. It doesnt have to be all about operating system jokes, some of the stuff they did in previous seasons just touched on that. The episode with the German cannibal springs to mind. The setup for it was the stagnation of Moss and Roy's friendship, two geeks who sit in watching dvds or playing games alot of weekends. Moss then trys an evening course and........ you know the rest. Episodes like the final one of season 4 are a long way off that and suffer because of it.

They've clocked up 24 episodes now, I can imagine its hard to keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Agricola wrote: »
    I liked more episodes than I disliked so I cant be too harsh. It was a mixture of some great highs and bad lows.

I agree that it should get back to the geek humour more. Thats what made it great. It doesnt have to be all about operating system jokes, some of the stuff they did in previous seasons just touched on that. The episode with the German cannibal springs to mind. The setup for it was the stagnation of Moss and Roy's friendship, two geeks who sit in watching dvds or playing games alot of weekends. Moss then trys an evening course and........ you know the rest. Episodes like the final one of season 4 are a long way off that and suffer because of it.

They've clocked up 24 episodes now, I can imagine its hard to keep it fresh.

US Sitcoms (while vastly different production-wise) do that many per season. Just look at How I met Your Mother, its been consistently funny for the past 4 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That was a poor enough episode. Some lol moments there for me but future episodes need less Jen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

God that was one of the worst 25 mins of TV I've ever seen. I dont get all the Reynholm love either, I think his character is terrible and always have. Nothing but one dimensional eccentric crap talking. Its a case of the emperors new clothes with him as well. As soon as he opens his mouth people laugh irrespective of what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Bollocks.

That wasn't a quote.

The show needs to go back to its roots. Those in the sysadmin field can identify perfectly with the first scene ever featuring Roy where he procrastinates on answering a support call due to knowing that what's coming is extremely predictable. I've been there and done that.

I feel that I'm placing too much hope on next season's team of writers, but I think that's about the only hope in the show continuing. At this point any mention of Nagios, Sendmail, fstab, or even .PST files would definitely renew my confidence in the show.

...not to mention Richmond playing a more important part with his "Goth2Boss" venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

rfrederick wrote: »
    The show needs to go back to its roots. Those in the sysadmin field can identify perfectly with the first scene ever featuring Roy where he procrastinates on answering a support call due to knowing that what's coming is extremely predictable. I've been there and done that.

To be fair anyone who is under 25 and therefore had to help most of the extended family with technology would be familiar with that. :pac:

• Advertisement

I am extremely fortunate to avoid the nightmare of family tech support. My middle brother is very much a Mac person (for the sake of it being a Mac, not due to the Unix flavour aspect), so he's provided the support for my stepmom. My cousins and uncles work in various branches of engineering, so outside of *nix system calls and utility questions I barely receive any family support requests. My experience with help in that realm has been in the working environment, so I'm all to familiar with Roy's initial appearance in the show.

Advertisement