Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Young lad here (aged 7) got to make a snowman this morning, and have an epic snowball fight with Dad. Almost a perfect amount of snow, really - enough to have a bit of fun, but not so much as to make the roads dangerous or cause any other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Absolutely perfect amount, gone by early afternoon and all on a Sunday too. Snowballs, snowmen, dog walks and everything in between all checked off the to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Genuine question... But does anyone know who owns the delivery car for that cafe that used to be parked on double yellows 7 days a week but now has migrated to parking with all 4 wheels up in the path in the square??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

barney 20v wrote: »
    Genuine question... But does anyone know who owns the delivery car for that cafe that used to be parked on double yellows 7 days a week but now has migrated to parking with all 4 wheels up in the path in the square??

The Mazda? The guy who owns the cafe owns it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The Mazda? The guy who owns the cafe owns it I think.

Thank you 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Wafer St. is inaccessible daytime this week......you never realise how much it's used til now as an exit route/artery.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

I see things got interesting again here today. :)

As the one who was probably the main contributor to the GAA discussion (which was primarily about the history of the different clubs in the town), here's my input now.

The question he asked was could we not start a separate thread for GAA matters. To be honest, I found that a bit rich. As I said at the time, the thread is titled simply "Enniscorthy", and we were simply discussing Enniscorthy-related matters that were of interest to at least some people here.

I thought myself at the time that I could ask the same of him: that he start a separate thread for photos taken on walks through the town, for instance. Was debating to myself whether or not to actually say it, when somebody else went ahead and said it anyway.

But also as I said at the time, if somebody's not actually interested in a GAA-related discussion (for example), then just ignore it and contribute to the parts of the conversation that you're interested in instead. For instance, a random browse back to page 435 shows discussion last April of people sending the free postcards that An Post distributed during the early days of the first lockdown, and talk of people's walking routes around the town for exercise. I've no great interest myself in either, but I didn't ask for them to be moved to a separate thread.

My view was and remains that the GAA talk was a valid conversation here. It was Enniscorthy-related, somebody started it with a question, I put up an answer, there was a bit of interest in it, and I then threw up some more info as well. If somebody wanted to get in a huff over it because it steered the conversation away from his own observations and views, well then, that's that somebody's own business.

But at the end of the day, things have indeed become so quiet here that maybe his prediction is coming true that the thread would disappear up its own arse. :D

Twas me, born in Enniscorthy and was interested in finding out a few things GAA related in the town and I got great detailed replies.

Intention was never to derail thread, presume a thread about a town is all encompassing - clearly not everyone is interested in everything and some are hostile to certain organisations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Anyone know what they are building beside the bar dealerships in quarry Park? Is it houses or the primary care center?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Can we have a separate forum for pics, please :p:P:)

l

There is a thread already with some great pics of Co. Wexford in it. Pity it's not used much anymore

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238208&page=67

Anyone know what they are building beside the bar dealerships in quarry Park? Is it houses or the primary care center?

It's the healthcare centre they're building

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/permission-granted-for-healthcare-centre-39530849.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Hi all,

Haven't been to Enniscorthy for months. County border/covid restrictions yadda yadda... I only travel home to work nowadays, get the groceries every week and that's it.

Any stir in there at all? How's the new Lidl going? Did the new shop in the old Dunnes Stores building open?

Hope everyone on this thread is safe and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Haven't been to Enniscorthy for months. County border/covid restrictions yadda yadda... I only travel home to work nowadays, get the groceries every week and that's it.

Any stir in there at all? How's the new Lidl going? Did the new shop in the old Dunnes Stores building open?

Hope everyone on this thread is safe and well.

Please keep all questions to the 'People Who Haven't Been In Town For Months And Have A Few Questions' thread.

BuboBubo wrote: »
    How's the new Lidl going?

Was in there for the first time last weekend, albeit very briefly (young lad told me I had to try the orange juice machine, we were in and out within 5 minutes).

Larger, more spacious, wider aisles and aesthetically far more pleasing than the old store (which in hindsight was soulless in comparison). The exposed timber beams is a nice touch. The finest supermarket space in the town by a country mile (IMO).

Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

On the question as to how the town is going is it busy etc.

Stopped on the way home to go to Sam Mc Cauleys for a few little things.

Shop was empty, this was around 2 o clock or so and im literally the only one in there and im in there for between 5 to 10 mins because half the bloody shelves are empty.

It was a bit uncanny for a shop thats generally one of the busiest in the town

Covid lockdown is killing small towns in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There is no town in Ireland which is doing any better than Enniscorthy at the moment. Every town is dead, or barely surviving.
    Maybe when things get back to normal, with more remote working it might hand towns a lifeline.

Sorry for mentioning "Other towns"....

Jaysus must have been some funeral for 200 to be found at a house afterwards, must have been some house!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

the kelt wrote: »
    Jaysus must have been some funeral for 200 to be found at a house afterwards, must have been some house!

Was that up the Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BernardJohnson

I don't know where the 200 went, but the lady in question lived in a tiny 2 bed bungalow in Drum Catha "In me culture boss" and all that.

We buried my mother a couple of weeks ago and adhered to guidelines, even asked the priest to ask people in the graveyard not to shake hands with us.

Gatherings are in our culture too, especially after a funeral...

I don't know where the 200 went, but the lady in question lived in a tiny 2 bed bungalow in Drum Catha "In me culture boss" and all that.

We buried my mother a couple of weeks ago and adhered to guidelines, even asked the priest to ask people in the graveyard not to shake hands with us.

Gatherings are in our culture too, especially after a funeral...

I was wondering alright would the 200 or so normally have been frequenting Kehoes on the quay in other non Covid times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Was that up the Shannon?

Yea, Drumgoold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's wrong with Rafter St and Church St?

Temporary Rd Closure of Rafter St , Church St Enniscorthy for essential rd works Starting Monday 1st Feb for 2 weeks. Pedestrian access only. Diversion in place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

kneemos wrote: »
    What's wrong with Rafter St and Church St?

Temporary Rd Closure of Rafter St , Church St Enniscorthy for essential rd works Starting Monday 1st Feb for 2 weeks. Pedestrian access only. Diversion in place

I imagine it's just similar resurfacing to what was done on Weafer Street recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Gardai have been more active in town over the past couple of days, visiting shops and cafes to ensure compliance with covid restrictions. Dunne's now have a strict limit of 100 customers and staff member monitoring at entrance. Queues on Friday morning there. Enniscorthy still has highest numbers by far in Co. Wexford

Gardai have been more active in town over the past couple of days, visiting shops and cafes to ensure compliance with covid restrictions. Dunne's now have a strict limit of 100 customers and staff member monitoring at entrance. Queues on Friday morning there. Enniscorthy still has highest numbers by far in Co. Wexford

Its funny ye mention it as they seem to be busier on the road also.

Earlier this week i was stopped at Scarawalsh heading towards Ferns on the old Dublin rd and literally an hour later stopped outside of Ferns on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

Some Travellers seem to think that the restrictions are denying them their rights as funerals are part of their "culture and heritage" what they don't realise is funerals are part of everybody's culture. Its been damn hard not going to some funerals and not offering condolences to grieving people.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Anybody able to offer advice on broadband in the area we are with eir but looking to change for something cheaper. Any recommendations would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Anybody able to offer advice on broadband in the area we are with eir but looking to change for something cheaper. Any recommendations would be great.

bonkers.ie is your best bet, they have exclusive deals sometimes. There are three networks in Enniscorthy. Virgin Media (put your eircode into their website will tell you if you can get it or not), openeir VDSL (most likely what you have/can get - usually advertised as up to 100Mb broadband, most people in Enniscorthy have this). All the different providers use this network apart from virgin media. The other network is openeir's fibre network and is available to some people in the town and on the outskirts of Enniscorthy. You can see what's available to you other than virgin media at https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail and compare deals on bonkers depending on if you want phone, broadband, mobile etc.

Whatever you do don't go for imagine or one of the wireless ones if your happy with what you have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Following news today that there have been 35 recent covid outbreaks in the country related to supermarkets and shopping, Lidl ,in Enniscorthy, really needs to improve. One bottle of sanitiser at entrance. No facilty to wipe down trolley and no staff present to monitor numbers entering. Other shops making much better effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Following news today that there have been 35 recent covid outbreaks in the country related to supermarkets and shopping, Lidl ,in Enniscorthy, really needs to improve. One bottle of sanitiser at entrance. No facilty to wipe down trolley and no staff present to monitor numbers entering. Other shops making much better effort
    you can wipe down the trolley but they have put it just in the second set of doors on the right when you are in the supermarket, think most people miss it, very busy in there today even with the light system.

Advertisement