Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Seems like a nice idea, however, its all beat into a small area with what appears to be no social distancing happening and a few members of the council standing around with litter pickers etc.
    Add into that the square being closed ( for a short time) to traffic which caused a major build up of traffic.

School kids from schools with active cases of covid 19 also volunteering to work there over the weekend.
    I wouldn't bring my family to it that's for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Hope everybody in Enniscorthy had a peaceful Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

What is Enniscorthy like these days? I see more affordable houses on daft in Enniscorthy than in most other places in Wexford north/middle, so I am starting to wonder why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

dawanda wrote: »
    What is Enniscorthy like these days? I see more affordable houses on daft in Enniscorthy than in most other places in Wexford north/middle, so I am starting to wonder why this is?

Further from Dublin. Gorey is a commuter town. Further south from there I imagine prices will drop accordingly.

kneemos wrote: »
    Further from Dublin. Gorey is a commuter town. Further south from there I imagine prices will drop accordingly.

I read something about the air being really, really bad and the town being very dirty. Is this accurate? In the article I read it says something about the air being like in New-Dehli, which is obviously BS, but still sounds bad. But for all I know it could have changed in the last two years?

• Advertisement

dawanda wrote: »
    I read something about the air being really, really bad and the town being very dirty. Is this accurate? In the article I read it says something about the air being like in New-Dehli, which is obviously BS, but still sounds bad. But for all I know it could have changed in the last two years?

The town is in a valley so smoke hangs sometimes. Smokey fuel has since been banned,so presumably things have improved. Don't see as many streaming chimneys anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

I try to get the Slí na Sláinte walk in a few nights a week. Most nights I get home and my clothes smell like camp fire. Can't be god for lungs. It depends on weather, if the air is still, no wind, then its worse to the extent I can feel the smoke in my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Much better walking aroudn the town now, no smoke at all, just cool crisp air. The smokeless coal has really improved the atmosphere locally

IsaBrown wrote: »
    I try to get the Slí na Sláinte walk in a few nights a week. Most nights I get home and my clothes smell like camp fire. Can't be god for lungs. It depends on weather, if the air is still, no wind, then its worse to the extent I can feel the smoke in my throat.

Ugh, that's horrible.
    Is there no chance in sight? Nothing planned by the council to improve the situation?

• dawanda wrote: »
    Ugh, that's horrible.
    Is there no chance in sight? Nothing planned by the council to improve the situation?

Seems to me like the councils main objective is to plan and start a lot of projects, but finish very few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Seems to me like the councils main objective is to plan and start a lot of projects, but finish very few.

The cable car will help things I would say??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

As has been mentioned in earlier posts, smoky coal is now banned in Enniscorthy. You'll always get a few idiots who refuse to comply....the usual few who find fault with any improvement.

Clean fuel in other towns has been a huge success, and is well worth the community investment.

We're getting murials again. Awful looking in general imo. Location is the key with those things.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20210112/281698322386130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

kneemos wrote: »
    We're getting murials again. Awful looking in general imo. Location is the key with those things.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20210112/281698322386130

Muriel's a lovely lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Does the inactivity on this board reflect the general quietness of the town during lockdown? Is it because nothing is happening?

One of the more interesting posters, who posted regularly, has been absent for a while....Del.Monte.

I recall some issue with GAA posts. Whatever the reason, the thread is poorer for his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

blindsider wrote: »
    One of the more interesting posters, who posted regularly, has been absent for a while....Del.Monte.

I recall some issue with GAA posts. Whatever the reason, the thread is poorer for his absence.

Those who ganged up on him seldom post here now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I can tell you one thing for nothing, I was first to speak up about the notion that people should go elsewhere to discuss Enniscorthy GAA and everything I said (detailed below), I said based on my own opinion... I couldn't give a sh1t if others agreed or disagreed and I certainly wasn't part of any gang or witch hunt.

The thread is here for anyone to offer their opinion, it'll still be here tomorrow and it doesn't all focus around anyone one individual.

There's very little going on around the town, people have better things to be worrying about right now... family, health, employment, finances etc.

CantonasCollars hasn't been around for quite a while, seemed like a nice chap and made many contributions over the years here... but that's life, people drift in and out things.
    Chill with the dramatisation... Del Monte a good bloke who cares about the town, much respect
    All I see is civilized debate. I have great respect for Del Monte as a contributor here, I don't agree with him on the separate thread opinion. People need to not get their knickers in a twist because people respectfully disagree. It's healthy discussion... I laughed inside at the threat to leave

You wanna throw your toys out of the pram, that's your choice. I stand firm on my stance that people discussing Enniscorthy's GAA history is relevant to the thread and of interest to some people. Go find a moderator that disagrees. Ps. I don't have an issue with your photos

By that logic, why don't you start a separate thread for your photos? "Enniscorthy" is the thread title... the town's sporting history is relevant and significant, people have the right to discuss it
    Personally I enjoyed the GAA discussion. Unimpressed with the behavior of the pseudo mods

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I can tell you one thing for nothing, I was first to speak up about the notion that people should go elsewhere to discuss Enniscorthy GAA and everything I said (detailed below), I said based on my own opinion... I couldn't give a sh1t if others agreed or disagreed and I certainly wasn't part of any gang or witch hunt.

Your point is ?
    The poster in question asked a question and he got attacked by several posters, instead of being given a civilised answer.

paulaa wrote: »
    Your point is ?
    The poster in question asked a question and he got attacked by several posters, instead of being given a civilised answer.

My point is

1. I respectfully disagreed with his opinion
    2. I wasn't part of any gang, my opinion is my opinion

And that's the last thing I'm saying on the matter.

• Advertisement

My point is

1. I respectfully disagreed with his opinion
    2. I wasn't part of any gang, my opinion is my opinion

And that's the last thing I'm saying on the matter.

I don't recall you being mentioned in my post. No need to be so defensive, is there ?

PS the "gangs" in forums are usually in the "likes", egging on others

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Jaysus de aul 'scorty thread hasn't changed a bit:D:D
    Brooklyn..

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Brooklyn..

Certainly has not, case in point being the arseholes who rarely contribute anything of great value showing up to gloat when a little tension airs... LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Certainly has not, case in point being the arseholes who rarely contribute anything of great value showing up to gloat when a little tension airs... LOL

Still laughing at your own insults I see, got you a thanks from your aul buddy too, yay!!
    Same old same old...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Brooklyn..

The attitudes in town haven't changed much either since I went to the Mercy Convent in the 60s/70's. :) Bigotry, begrudgery and downright ignorance have kept the town from progressing. It make me sad to see the state of the place and to see people who do their best to make the place look clean, get attacked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I see things got interesting again here today. :)

As the one who was probably the main contributor to the GAA discussion (which was primarily about the history of the different clubs in the town), here's my input now.

The question he asked was could we not start a separate thread for GAA matters. To be honest, I found that a bit rich. As I said at the time, the thread is titled simply "Enniscorthy", and we were simply discussing Enniscorthy-related matters that were of interest to at least some people here.

I thought myself at the time that I could ask the same of him: that he start a separate thread for photos taken on walks through the town, for instance. Was debating to myself whether or not to actually say it, when somebody else went ahead and said it anyway.

But also as I said at the time, if somebody's not actually interested in a GAA-related discussion (for example), then just ignore it and contribute to the parts of the conversation that you're interested in instead. For instance, a random browse back to page 435 shows discussion last April of people sending the free postcards that An Post distributed during the early days of the first lockdown, and talk of people's walking routes around the town for exercise. I've no great interest myself in either, but I didn't ask for them to be moved to a separate thread.

My view was and remains that the GAA talk was a valid conversation here. It was Enniscorthy-related, somebody started it with a question, I put up an answer, there was a bit of interest in it, and I then threw up some more info as well. If somebody wanted to get in a huff over it because it steered the conversation away from his own observations and views, well then, that's that somebody's own business.

But at the end of the day, things have indeed become so quiet here that maybe his prediction is coming true that the thread would disappear up its own arse. :D

I see things got interesting again here today. :)

As the one who was probably the main contributor to the GAA discussion (which was primarily about the history of the different clubs in the town), here's my input now.

The question he asked was could we not start a separate thread for GAA matters. To be honest, I found that a bit rich. As I said at the time, the thread is titled simply "Enniscorthy", and we were simply discussing Enniscorthy-related matters that were of interest to at least some people here.

I thought myself at the time that I could ask the same of him: that he start a separate thread for photos taken on walks through the town, for instance. Was debating to myself whether or not to actually say it, when somebody else went ahead and said it anyway.

But also as I said at the time, if somebody's not actually interested in a GAA-related discussion (for example), then just ignore it and contribute to the parts of the conversation that you're interested in instead. For instance, a random browse back to page 435 shows discussion last April of people sending the free postcards that An Post distributed during the early days of the first lockdown, and talk of people's walking routes around the town for exercise. I've no great interest myself in either, but I didn't ask for them to be moved to a separate thread.

My view was and remains that the GAA talk was a valid conversation here. It was Enniscorthy-related, somebody started it with a question, I put up an answer, there was a bit of interest in it, and I then threw up some more info as well. If somebody wanted to get in a huff over it because it steered the conversation away from his own observations and views, well then, that's that somebody's own business.

But at the end of the day, things have indeed become so quiet here that maybe his prediction is coming true that the thread would disappear up its own arse. :D

Theres nothing interesting about this thread. I hope you don't mind me asking but do you write many novels ?

:)

Perhaps a small bit of tolerance, from everyone, would go a long way?

[I'm not suggesting that anyone is being intolerant, just promoting the idea of more tolerance...]

How is Del.Monte...anyone know...?

Any other news in town....new Lidl looks good....how is the new homewares place on Rafter St...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The attitudes in town haven't changed much either since I went to the Mercy Convent in the 60s/70's. :) Bigotry, begrudgery and downright ignorance have kept the town from progressing. It make me sad to see the state of the place and to see people who do their best to make the place look clean, get attacked for it.

Yet it’s ok to tell others discussing the town what they can and cant talk about simply because they know nothing about a subject and don’t want to know?

It’s actually people not opening their minds a little to live and let live that have held the town back, people who just want more of the same, nothing different for discussion, a prime example being shop owners who would rather see shops and streets boarded up “because they dont want to know” about other business and interests etc, just go elsewhere?

Sound familiar ?

• Advertisement

If anyone associated with tarmac allocation reads this, would ye ever throw a bit at the Old Dublin Road? Hard to find a bit of road in a worse condition anywhere.

Advertisement