Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

the kelt wrote: »
    There was a death of a traveller in st Johns. Guards had to be called cos ye know just because there’s a pandemic crisis and people aren’t allowed visit etc a huge number decided to anyway and of course wouldn’t listen to reason.

Gotta feel for the staff, as if they haven’t enough to deal with at the moment.

Large funeral in New Ross today with heavy Garda presence. What a waste of resources. Absolutely no physical distancing being observed by the grief stricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Really time that ordinary people took a stand and insisted that the authorities take these people on. I don't care if I'm called a racist, I'm just sick of the fact that one section of our society is apparently immune to the laws and restrictions which govern the rest of us. No one else can practise extortion or destroy publicly funded parks and recreation areas and get away with it, then again I can't think of any decently raised member of society who would even contemplate these things. Not only do these people commit these offences, they are often financially rewarded when they deign to cease doing it.
    Most of our Public Representatives pay lip service to the general public's complaint over this behaviour, shrugging shoulders as if there is nothing which can be done, this is the biggest cop out and lie of all, if rules can be applied to 99.5% of the population, they can be applied to the rest. Our security services need to be given the tools to do the job and to hell with "culture" and it's time our politicians had this put very bluntly to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Ah, they're not all bad. I always reckon it's just 99% of them getting the rest a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The cross out beyond Davis's mills - is it Red Pat's cross or Redpath's cross?
    Anyone know where it got its name?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Probably someone called Pat with red hair lived there.

Plenty of crosses with surnames as well,such as Arnold's cross or Plummers cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

"Red Pat's Cross:
    It is situated at Tomalossit one and a quarter miles from Enniscorthy. A long time ago there lived a man at this cross called Red Pat who was seen standing at the cross every night and so it is called Red Pat's Cross." :D

https://www.duchas.ie/en/src?q=Enniscorthy&t=CbesTranscript&ct=LG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The social distancing measures are starting to go out the window around the town. Lots of youngsters hanging around the place having given up on any notion of a lockdown.
    Lads sitting by the river drinking away over the weekend while the walkway down the prom had become a Mecca for walkers from all over who have taken it upon themselves to drive there for a stroll.
    I know a few lads who are tasked with keeping the town tidy and they are saying it's getting more untidy as people aren't staying home and leaving the remains of their takeaways and drinks around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

The social distancing measures are starting to go out the window around the town. Lots of youngsters hanging around the place having given up on any notion of a lockdown.
    Lads sitting by the river drinking away over the weekend while the walkway down the prom had become a Mecca for walkers from all over who have taken it upon themselves to drive there for a stroll.
    I know a few lads who are tasked with keeping the town tidy and they are saying it's getting more untidy as people aren't staying home and leaving the remains of their takeaways and drinks around the place.

There is no lockdown. There never was. It was a restriction of movement.

Gardaí came to my door this morning, wrong address, but during the time they were here they stood no more than two feet from me and when they located the people who had called them, did exactly the same. I wonder what guidelines they are following, neither of them had mask or gloves.

Mondo44 wrote: »
    There is no lockdown. There never was. It was a restriction of movement.

Semantics, the population are using the word lockdown,easier on the tongue than restriction of movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Seems to have been a pretty inauspicious few weeks for Enniscorthy in the news recently with this latest one overnight: https://www.thejournal.ie/man-40s-dies-in-suspected-stabbing-incident-in-co-wexford-5089005-May2020/

Does anyone know what part of town this happened in ?

paulaa wrote: »
    Does anyone know what part of town this happened in ?

Ashbrook in the Moyne.
    The accused was an acquaintance of the victim who is a foreign national that lived in the town for a number of year says Jimmy Gahan on SE Radio.
    I heard locally that they were sharing a house.

Ashbrook in the Moyne.
    The accused was an acquaintance of the victim who is a foreign national that lived in the town for a number of year says Jimmy Gahan on SE Radio.
    I heard locally that they were sharing a house.

Thank you. SE Radio said they were at a "social gathering " in the house.

On another note I always thought that area was Greenville, not the Moyne. I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

paulaa wrote: »
    Thank you. SE Radio said they were at a "social gathering " in the house.

On another note I always thought that area was Greenville, not the Moyne. I could be wrong

Greenville lane is part of the Moyne

arseagon wrote: »
    Greenville lane is part of the Moyne

Ok. I'm living in the area and didn't know that . Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

cython wrote: »
    Seems to have been a pretty inauspicious few weeks for Enniscorthy in the news recently with this latest one overnight: https://www.thejournal.ie/man-40s-dies-in-suspected-stabbing-incident-in-co-wexford-5089005-May2020/

And they say there's no such thing as bad publicity... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I hear

Thursday night, sh1t kicked off in Fr Murphy park again.

The same "ordinary decent lads" involved as before, their glorious leader from the other night spat in a little child's face.

Her Da, not usually a fighting man, obviously, went nuts...

The vast majority of the folks up there are good decent people and they'll tell you that it has always been a lovely place to live.

The council need to get off their arses and start evicting these scumbags...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

johnnybmac wrote: »
    I hear

The same "ordinary decent lads" involved as before, their glorious leader from the other night spat in a little child's face.

The vast majority of the folks up there are good decent people and they'll tell you that it has always been a lovely place to live.

Any names of these scumbags. I doubt they will be on here to read this

Mondo44 wrote: »
    Any names of these scumbags. I doubt they will be on here to read this

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Might there be any of these available in Post Office iitself?

Reason being I share accommodation (mutual entrance/porch) & because upstairs neighbours in first floor flat've a kid I left them at it.

But I wouldn't mind getting 2 myself for my Ma in 'Scorthy (Shingan, Milehouse Rd.) & my Da (over the border in Sth. Co. Carlow.

Stacks of them in the PO this morning.

johnnybmac wrote: »
    I hear

It seems to be Council policy to plant these scumbags among the law abiding community and then disown them, maybe under the mistaken belief that some good might rub off, no chance I'm afraid. While there is no censure for these lowlife for the crimes they commit, why would they bother to change.
    The latest strategy during the recession has been for the Council to buy up houses in private housing estates or open up RAS or HAP tenancies and fill them with this lowlife, many from Dublin where they have been involved in the drug scene and pay their rent for them while they return to their former ways, poisoning the local youth.
    As soon as the local residents kick up a fuss, the council deny all responsibility and point the finger at the landlord who may not even live in the country. When the council are asked for details of the landlord they hide behind GDPR. Very convenient.
    I'm aware of all this because I am a residents' representative in such an estate and we spent more than three years trying to rid ourselves of such people, who terrorised the neighbourhood. Don't bother with the Gardaí, we approached them about these people dealing drugs from the house and were told, "Yes we know" but made no effort to put a stop to it.
    All this time we were dealing with Council officials and minions who have nothing to fear from the wrath of the public, elected Councillors did their usual shoulder shrugging and ran away as fast as they could.
    Getting meetings with lofty individuals like the Town or City Manager was impossible, your only hope was to buttonhole them at some photo opp and hopefully embarrass them into some intervention. Eventually we were forced into the situation of having to threaten the Council with legal action but nothing ever came of it because one night the family were gone, no explanation, leaving thousands of euro of damage to the property and owing thousands more in unpaid rent. You and I , through our taxes, paid for this.

This is the Council your Property Tax is supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Marhay70 wrote: »
    It seems to be Council policy to plant these scumbags among the law abiding community and then disown them, maybe under the mistaken belief that some good might rub off, no chance I'm afraid. While there is no censure for these lowlife for the crimes they commit, why would they bother to change.
    The latest strategy during the recession has been for the Council to buy up houses in private housing estates or open up RAS or HAP tenancies and fill them with this lowlife, many from Dublin where they have been involved in the drug scene and pay their rent for them while they return to their former ways, poisoning the local youth.
    As soon as the local residents kick up a fuss, the council deny all responsibility and point the finger at the landlord who may not even live in the country. When the council are asked for details of the landlord they hide behind GDPR. Very convenient.
    I'm aware of all this because I am a residents' representative in such an estate and we spent more than three years trying to rid ourselves of such people, who terrorised the neighbourhood. Don't bother with the Gardaí, we approached them about these people dealing drugs from the house and were told, "Yes we know" but made no effort to put a stop to it.
    All this time we were dealing with Council officials and minions who have nothing to fear from the wrath of the public, elected Councillors did their usual shoulder shrugging and ran away as fast as they could.
    Getting meetings with lofty individuals like the Town or City Manager was impossible, your only hope was to buttonhole them at some photo opp and hopefully embarrass them into some intervention. Eventually we were forced into the situation of having to threaten the Council with legal action but nothing ever came of it because one night the family were gone, no explanation, leaving thousands of euro of damage to the property and owing thousands more in unpaid rent. You and I , through our taxes, paid for this.

This is the Council your Property Tax is supporting.

Gardai served an eviction notice on the lads in FMP today. Not sure about your "dublin" references though, even though I get your overall point, as the 2 incidents this past 2 weeks involved locals and one Pole who lived locally, not a Dubliner insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Gardai served an eviction notice on the lads in FMP today.

They'll just end up on another estate burdening people, until they either end up in prison or dead.

Gardai served an eviction notice on the lads in FMP today. Not sure about your "dublin" references though, even though I get your overall point, as the 2 incidents this past 2 weeks involved locals and one Pole who lived locally, not a Dubliner insight.

I'm a Dub born and reared so I don't have an axe to grind. What being a Dub gives me I think, is an innate ability to recognise a particular type of scumbag and believe me, these were that type, as are quite a few more I see around the place. I've no doubt that Wexford has its share of undesirables, all the more reason not to import more.
    What strikes me as strange is that public representatives in the County are constantly bemoaning the fact that there is a shortage of public housing in the county but a relatively new County Council estate which borders on us has very few Wexford natives. No one seems to be able to answer that question either.

In another twist to the tale of the fr Murphy park saga, there's rumours of a sizeable amount of money owed by these lads to the travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

In another twist to the tale of the fr Murphy park saga, there's rumours of a sizeable amount of money owed by these lads to the travellers.

Has to be money/debt that kicked something like that off

€165,000 worth of cannabis seized at Ballycarney.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/05/05/cannabis-seizure-near-ballycarney/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Town was heaving yesterday despite there being very little open.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Town was heaving yesterday despite there being very little open.

It seems that parents have given up completely on keeping their teenage kids at home,safe distance gone completely out the window.
    Tony Holohan saying that there's a worrying rise in cases among the young yet they carry on as if it's a holiday.

Advertisement