Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers: "NRA makes idiotic decisions"

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That road is now closed while the Mullinvat road is being re surfaced. And i think it has closed anyway before the M9, they possibly saw no point in staying open?!

The massive Esso (again, I think...) a few hundred metres up the road closed before the M9 opened, months before hand.

There's a diesel price on pumps.ie for it (the Texaco) from three weeks ago, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The easiest thing is offline services. The NRA applies for applicants that ALREADY HAVE service stations near a motorway exit in the centre of the MIU's. One per route (maybe 2 on Dub-Cork) would suffice.
    Also the cities should have one on the way out of the city, eg. in Waterford there is NO petrol station left across the bridge or on the quay where all traffic for Rosslare, Cork, Dublin and Limerick are signposted to go! So you can't even fill up before you go!
    The NRA can then give them an approved status, a couple of brown signs on the motorway and then off it to the station. And they have to be open 24hours and have some kind of deli facility and toilets. Hotels or showers and such aren't feasible, especially seems the longest journey will only be 3 - 3.5 hours on the M8/M7. 8-9 around the country would be perfect. And then one at each port and each major airport. DONE!
    Kahless wrote: »
    That part of the road isn't closed. I get fuel there most of the time, though when I went there last week, the pumps were taped in place, so maybe they are closing/closed now.

If there are no petrol stations in an area or the petrol stations there are closing down it must be because they do not do enough business for them to remain open. So coolperson05, you suggest the NRA force these stations to upgrade to provide all services necessary at a MSA and remain open 24hours a day despite the fact they are already struggling to survive! And what happens if these service stations are signposted off the motorway and then close down. Your left with a sign for services but no services.

Online MSAs are the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

I must admit that I thought a lot of the
    Calculating the cost with miles when purchasing a car is a lot more difficult which is why many car dealers PURPOSELY don't quote you the litres per 100km, because they know you won't even try to calculate the actual cost - hence you won't really know the true efficiency of a car to you in monetary terms!

Above is a partial qoute.
    ---
    RULE OF THUMB without liability, ( German= ohne Gewähr)
    Figure to be divided is 283.46
    When purchasing a car; store 283.46 in a calculator's memory.
    Let's say the vendorr quotes fuel consumption as 50 Miles per gallon.
    Press MR on the calculator for 283.46, one divides by the quoted m.p.g. here 50. The result is 5.7 L/100km

60 m.p.g.: 283.46 divided by 60 = 4.7 L/100km

40 m.p.g.: 283.46 divided by 40 = 7.1 L/100km

This is based on 1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609 Litre, 1 Imperial mile = 1.609 km

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Online MSAs are the only way to go.

I think this thread answers most of the questions from above:
    ongarboy wrote: »
    interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Business Post saying Topaz will privately fund up to 15 MSSs which will have no public sector involvement with the first due to open in November at the Cashel interchange on the M8. McDonalds will open a restaurant within the complex.

http://www.thepost.ie/news/ireland/topaz-planning-major-expansion-49868.html

Glad to hear that private companies are a) investing in the country; b) providing jobs and c) getting off their posterior and actually providing basic necessities (even if they then charge a premium for it!)

Advertisement