Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It's a solid track, great riff and it'll work well live. I do think the drum fills are a bit old-hat although Nicko does tend to mix it up a bit more when he's playing live. The cowbell could have gotten a bit more use!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I get a sense from this track that it's a leftover from their last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

was just watching some of the death on the road dvd once again after a while, and again i was annoyed by how much jan’s silly prancing around and ridiculous posing ruins the show…can someone please tell the man to act normally on stage? he is a decent enough guitarist when he wants to be, he can write good songs and seems to be a nice enough bloke…yet his silly stage antics really ruin so much for me…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Hey you, yes you Jan. Stop having fun over there. The same goes for you too Dickinson. No more prancing about.

ush wrote: »
    Hey you, yes you Jan. Stop having fun over there. The same goes for you too Dickinson. No more prancing about.

haha, yeah...bruce as well now? i’d give him some leeway on stage, considering he’s the frontman and all…yet jan should really concentrate on his live playing which is generally pretty crap…a tad unprofessional for an instrumentalist in a great band like maiden…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

:rolleyes:

Better the band moving about on stage than standing around like bloody robots...

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Better the band moving about on stage than standing around like bloody robots...

yeah well, but wouldn’t it be even better if every single one of them played his stuff right?

They all play just fine, doesn't have to be absolutely spot on to the album hence called playing LIVE, if you want your music played perfectly, then my friend you are a fan of the wrong band...

They all play just fine, doesn't have to be absolutely spot on to the album hence called playing LIVE, if you want your music played perfectly, then my friend you are a fan of the wrong band...

not really...on stage jan is quite often pretty ****ing far from spot-on, too often and too far off really for a band with maiden’s level of musicianship, and i say that’s because of his antics…maybe some folks just need to take off the fanboy glasses…but it doesn’t really matter anyway; he is friends with bruce and possibly steve (otherwise he probably would have been fired long ago) and in the studio he is okay…

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    not really...on stage jan is quite often pretty ****ing far from spot-on, too often and too far off really for a band with maiden’s level of musicianship, and i say that’s because of his antics…maybe some folks just need to take off the fanboy glasses…but it doesn’t really matter anyway; he is friends with bruce and possibly steve (otherwise he probably would have been fired long ago) and in the studio he is okay…

Again it's called playing LIVE, it doesn't/shouldn't have to be perfect, maybe he acts the clown onstage because he ya knows gets to play with Iron Maiden, christ anybody here would be giddy about playing live onstage with Maiden, and him being in the band simply because he's friend's with Bruce is a load of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

maybe some folks just need to take off the fanboy glasses…

And maybe some folk should go to a gig and relax and let their hair down as opposed to critiquing every little detail and looking for ways not to enjoy it. Is it perfect? No. But a sloppy Janick is still better than any of the armchair 'musicians' who go to gigs looking for faults.

Steve has, rightly or wrongly had the nickname over the years as Sergeant Major as he can be very demanding apparently and always expects the best. if you think he'd put up with someone who wasn't good enough, even if he was a mate, you don't know what you're talking about.

Again it's called playing LIVE, it doesn't/shouldn't have to be perfect, maybe he acts the clown onstage because he ya knows gets to play with Iron Maiden, christ anybody here would be giddy about playing live onstage with Maiden, and him being in the band simply because he's friend's with Bruce is a load of ****e.

thanks, i understand the concept of playing live and of overdubbing and all that - imagine maiden live recordings and especially jan’s live tracks without overdubs…screwing up songs and (especially) solos does not have to be part of playing live…and most serious musicians would agree with that…

thanks, i understand the concept of playing live and of overdubbing and all that - imagine maiden live recordings and especially jan’s live tracks without overdubs…screwing up songs and (especially) solos does not have to be part of playing live…and most serious musicians would agree with that…

Do you play yourself, out of curiosity?

Do you play yourself, out of curiosity?

used to a little bit back in the 80s, not really anymore…but what does that have to do with anything and with jan?

used to a little bit back in the 80s, not really anymore…but what does that have to do with anything and with jan?

Nothing really. It's just that the guys I know who are constantly going on about band x or guitarist y not being note for note perfect or whatever always seem to be blokes who played in bands that never made it past playing in their sheds or in the local school hall. But because they're 'musicians' too, they're all experts and know what a guitarist or band should be doing.

I don't know you so I'm not in anyway saying you're one of these just to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Nothing really. It's just that the guys I know who are constantly going on about band x or guitarist y not being note for note perfect or whatever always seem to be blokes who played in bands that never made it past playing in their sheds or in the local school hall. But because they're 'musicians' too, they're all experts and know what a guitarist or band should be doing. r.

type of lads who stand down the back of gigs with their arms folded trying their best to not enjoy themselves....

ugh.....

type of lads who stand down the back of gigs with their arms folded trying their best to not enjoy themselves....

ugh.....

Hey, I'm one of them! Down to getting on in age though and even though I look like I'm at a poetry reading, inside I'm giving it socks.

Nothing really. It's just that the guys I know who are constantly going on about band x or guitarist y not being note for note perfect or whatever always seem to be blokes who played in bands that never made it past playing in their sheds or in the local school hall. But because they're 'musicians' too, they're all experts and know what a guitarist or band should be doing.

I don't know you so I'm not in anyway saying you're one of these just to be clear.

i get your point, and no, i am not an expert nor a successful guitarist myself…and everybody knows that one needs to be a multi-platinum selling recording artist and a professor of music in order to be allowed to find jan’s stage antics ridiculous and his butchering of so many notes annoying…reality-check time…having a set of reasonably healthy ears and being a maiden fan is really all it takes…and everybody is entitled to have an opinion anyway, so just accept the fact that many maiden fans find jan’s stage antics annoying and his live playing mediocre…the whole debate has been done to the death anyway, so i guess i'll leave it at that...

Hey, I'm one of them! Down to getting on in age though and even though I look like I'm at a poetry reading, inside I'm giving it socks.

me too

Bruce has revealed that Tears Of A Clown will be dedicated to the late great Robin Williams.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/iron-maiden-dedicate-new-song-to-robin-williams/

• Advertisement

IRON MAIDEN AND THE BOOK OF SOULS GO JUMBO ON MASSIVE 2016 WORLD TOUR.

VOCALIST BRUCE DICKINSON TO CAPTAIN AND PILOT A BOEING 747-400 JUMBO JET TO PLAY IN SIX OF THE SEVEN CONTINENTS TRAVELLING OVER 55,000 MILES (88,500km) AROUND THE GLOBE

“THE BOOK OF SOULS WORLD TOUR” IS EXPECTED TO VISIT AROUND 35 COUNTRIES
    INCLUDING FIRST EVER CONCERTS IN CHINA AND EL SALVADOR

NEW STUDIO ALBUM “THE BOOK OF SOULS” IS RELEASED WORLDWIDE ON SEPT 4

IRON MAIDEN, whose new studio album The Book of Souls, their first for 5 years, will be released worldwide next week on Sept 4, are taking touring to a new level using a Boeing 747-400 Jumbo Jet (aka Queen of the Skies) for their World Tour next year. Vocalist Bruce Dickinson is currently in training for his licence to fly the massive four engine jet, which is almost twice the size and over three times the weight of the Boeing 757 used on previous tours in 2008/9/11 (see attached comparison grid). The new Ed Force One will take the band, crew and over 12 tons of equipment more than 55,000 miles (88,500km) around the planet with concerts in six of the seven continents (Australasia, Asia, North and South America, Africa and Europe) with The Book of Souls World Tour 2016 expected to visit around 35 countries. Details of the precise schedule are currently being finalised and we will commence announcements of specific dates for the different territories in a few weeks’ time. However we can reveal that The Book Of Souls World Tour will open in the U.S.A in late February with Ed Force One flying in for three shows before, in early March, heading into Central America visiting MEXICO, followed by a much anticipated first ever concert in EL SALVADOR and a return to COSTA RICA. Ed Force One then proceeds into South America for concerts in ARGENTINA, CHILE and a number of shows in BRAZIL before flying back to the USA at the end of March for ten more cities covering the USA and, of course, CANADA in the first two weeks of April.

A long awaited return to JAPAN follows later in April, and then the band are delighted to be playing their first ever shows in CHINA before heading to NEW ZEALAND and AUSTRALIA for a comprehensive tour during the first half of May. Shows in SOUTH AFRICA, Maiden’s first visit there with Bruce, will be the last port of call before Ed Force One heads to EUROPE for a very extensive tour starting in late May and finishing in early August. This will the first time Ed Force One has ever been used on any European Tour dates (other than Bruce’s Fan Club trips to shows) and will provide transport there for at least for the first few weeks.

Bruce Dickinson comments,
    “When the opportunity arose from my friends at Air Atlanta Icelandic to lease a 747 for The Book of Souls World Tour, of course we jumped at the chance, who wouldn’t? The greatest benefit of travelling in a 747 is that because of its colossal size and freight capacity we can carry our stage production and all our stage equipment and desks in the cargo hold without having to make any of the immense structural modifications needed to do this on the previous 757, the extent of which fans will have noted on the Flight 666 DVD. Although in reality we cannot carry much more gear the savings in complexity, time and cost make using the 747 even more practical. All we will need to do is “paint” it and move a few seats around, with the added advantage that there is much more room for band and crew – our Krew can almost get a row of seats each to catch up on sleep on the flights! Furthermore, it is marginally faster o.85 MACH and the range of around 7000NM (13,000 km) is much greater which means we will not have to make the refuelling stops we needed to with the 757.
    “However, even though we have worked out the logistics of taking a plane of that immense size out on tour, I still have to learn to fly it before we can go anywhere! So, I’m currently doing my training to qualify as a pilot and Captain on a Boeing 747. I’m doing this at Cardiff Aviation, my aircraft maintenance facility in Wales, where we recently took possession of a rather splendid 747 simulator which I can’t wait to get practising on!

“We’re all really excited at the thought of bringing our brand new tour to fans who have never seen us play live before, and of course re-visiting all our old friends again too. You can rest assured we are all working hard to put together a spectacular show for our fans.”

The 747 is the world’s most recognisable airliner on account of its distinctive hump. With its impressive dimensions of 70.7m (232ft) length, 19.4m (63.6ft) height and a jaw-dropping wing span of 64.4m (211ft) this double-decker aircraft has a range of 13,450km (7,262nm).

any word of a dublin date on that tour?

any word of a dublin date on that tour?

Gonna have to wait a few weeks for that, fingers crossed though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Fùck Dublin, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring some metal back to Slane :D

Wouldn't go near Slane even for Iron Maiden, The Aviva or Croke Park would be suitable..

Fùck Dublin, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring some metal back to Slane :D

Unfortunately Maiden would only sell a max of 30,000 tickets in Ireland (and that might even be a stretch) so there's not a chance they'd even be considered for Slane, even with a strong support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Unfortunately Maiden would only sell a max of 30,000 tickets in Ireland (and that might even be a stretch) so there's not a chance they'd even be considered for Slane, even with a strong support.

This is true, the RDS or Marlay only real options for an outdoor show talk of Landsdowne or Croker is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is true, the RDS or Marlay only real options for an outdoor show talk of Landsdowne or Croker is madness

Aviva would be cool but maybe a bit big. Rds would be acceptable but Marley park would suck because it has no seating. I can't remember the 3arena gig in 2010(time has flown since then) being sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Aviva would be cool but maybe a bit big. Rds would be acceptable but Marley park would suck because it has no seating. I can't remember the 3arena gig in 2010(time has flown since then) being sold out

yeah, it did sell out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will it be a mix of own shows and festivals, or will they hold off festivals until 2017?

Advertisement