Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview EPG

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyone know of a combo Irish-DTT & DVB-S box that supports MHEG natively?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Anyone know of a combo Irish-DTT & DVB-S box that supports MHEG natively?

None. All will pick up the DVBSI/EIT data.

And you wont get 7 day on sat unless you get a linux combo that is Enigma 2 based in which you can run specific linux apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

tmcw wrote: »
    When in the Saorview EPG, and moving about channels, does the channel select button ("OK") work on any other boxes?

On my Sagem, the "OK" button only works with the same channel that you accessed the EPG with (the one that remains reduced in size in the top-right; essentially the same as exiting the EPG). I can't, for example, access the EPG from RTE 1, move about the EPG and select Wimbledon Beo on TG4, and go directly to watch the tennis. (You can jump channels in the native EPG though).
    Think it's the same on samsung tv with built in mpeg 4. I like the fact that the saorview epg shows from midnight the previous night in the 'all' view. It's zippier than sky boxes EPG and fairly intuitive. We just need 8-10 quality channels to get some public interest. I think saorview + freesat/ DTT/Sat combos could eat into UPC/Sky market share as the recession bites. I see a few more aerials mounted on satellite poles around where I live in Terenure (aerials point roughly the same direction as well to make it neater looking!). Say 50-100k dropping UPC/Sky in Dublin could give it a boost if they make the effort...icon6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

galtee boy wrote: »
    Thanks. That seems to match with the ones available on Ebay. However, they are not brand new, they are quoted as being either "almost new" or worse still, " refurbished" ! But if one could be bought for under £20, it might be worth the chance for a bit of experimenting.

Gambled on one of these Sagem Picnic Boxes on Ebay, £9.99 plus £10.00 P&P, arrived yesterday. Hooked it up and now have digital Aertel and Saorview Epg along with DTT channels. Good value at €25 approx and if it blows up in a few months, it won't have been too costly a gamble.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Is SAORview EPG working at the moment?
    I use to get it on my LG LF7700 but not now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope, it went two/three days ago.

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope, it went two/three days ago.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dgently

Some paranoid thoughts on the Saorview EPG.

A "branded" EPG is a useful new source of advertising revenue for the operator. Viewers use that page a lot.

I think RTE do great work, but from my limited dealings with them I have consistently found them to fail every time when faced with a choice between public service remit and commercial self interest.

Assuming RTE end up controlling the service, could they pull the generic DVB-T 7-day EPG and force everyone to use the ad-supported "Green button" service? That would leave those with "mostly compliant" tuners like me without an EPG.

If it is possible, then I would bet on it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i hope they don't pull the generic epg.
    I find the tv's own guide (sony guide) much better than Guide+ or Saorview epg.

And my tv will only display saorview epg when in guide+ mode

There is no Digital teletext or SAORview EPG at this moment.
    NO Green or Blue button function working on my TV now but once did worked well.
    Is this true for anyone else?

• Advertisement

RTE Digital text is back onair but still no Green Button - SAORview EPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ditto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

A brother of mine got a new mpeg4 tv and is pickicg up the RTE dtt tests fine. RTE digital aertel also works fine but the Saorview epg doesn't load when you press the green button ... I'm i right in saying that if RTE digital aertel works then the tv should have the correct specs to display the Saorview EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no. Separate.

Teletext even on analogue is Digital, but stuffed into a empty part of picture. On Digital Teletext gets its own connection/stream as does Now/Next, Saorview MHEG5 Interactive Text, DVB 7 day guide and Saorview MHEG5 guide.

So.. wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

thanks for the reply watty ... i'll keep checking it so. Roll on Oct 31st !

RTE Digital text now bring up blank screen and the TV is locked out, the only way is to switch off the TV and all is OK again.
    BBC digital Text is 100% working, so it is not my TV problem
    Also there is no Subtitle on this RTE digital and also the time is 1 hour behind on my LG LF model

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Souriau wrote: »
    RTE Digital text now bring up blank screen and the TV is locked out, the only way is to switch off the TV and all is OK again.
    BBC digital Text is 100% working, so it is not my TV problem
    Also there is no Subtitle on this RTE digital and also the time is 1 hour behind on my LG LF model

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67020927#post67020927

RTE digital text is back onair but I don't see any SAORview EPG yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTE digital text is back onair but I don't see any SAORview EPG yet

Came back about a week ago. EPG will probably follow in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

I have a Triax combo(St-HD527CI) which is supposed to support MHEG 5 but I cannot get the Saorview epg or Digital teletext anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jackhacket

liamtech wrote: »
    Curent firmware from philips.ie, using UK as the country -you get both EPG's, aertel digital etc

Let me know how you get along
    I did this on my philips -same model , firmware upgrade and rescan selecting UK as country . EPG , now and next etc all OK . Many thanks for the info liamtech

Still nothing on Saorview EPG, the green button :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Still nothing on Saorview EPG, the green button :(

I would've thought the DVB-SI epg would be better for the combined reception of Saorview and Freeview, all channels in the one guide.

A green button MHEG-5 Saorview epg would only carry Saorview programme information, no Freeview programme info.

It may appear at some stage but it been over 12 months since they did any testing with it. The MHEG-5 on-screen captions for RTÉjr & RTÉ1 +1 channels (when off-air) appeared this week so who knows what's planned for the future.

Advertisement