Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview EPG

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Yes, I was watching it yesterday, and all was fine. The only channel I wasn't getting video on was the HD channel (to be expected), audio was coming through on it though, and all other channels.

I believe I'm getting it from 3R.

I'll have another look later tonight, and report back if it's any different to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Anyone getting the MHEG EPG on Windows Media Centre (Windows 7)? I can get the regular MHEG text data ok, but not the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

fat-tony wrote: »
    Anyone getting the MHEG EPG on Windows Media Centre (Windows 7)? I can get the regular MHEG text data ok, but not the EPG.

No havent been able to get it on my Win 7 MC

Stinicker wrote: »
    Receiving the new Saorview EPG on my Panasonic TX-P50G10B UK Freesat model from Mullaghanish. I noticed my Digital Aertel was not loading yesterday so they must have been in the process of getting this loaded into the system.

The Green button also loads it for me and they have the logos of RTE1 and RTE2 and the old TV3 logo but no logo for TG4 or RTE News Now. It is a nice and simple product and well suited to the masses out there who will struggle with the ASO. I can imagine tonnes of disgruntled people with their €1,000+ shiny new tvs not having MHEG5 compatibility or even MPEG4.

The regular EIT guide willl also be present and every DVB-T TV is comaptible with this so I dont think it will be an issue. For me the guide inbuilt in the TV is much better anyway. Dont know why they are even bothering with this.

i can confirm that the bush dvb680 freeview hd box picks up irish dtt and the saorview epg. however, there is a major cropping problem with rte two. the screen is cropped half way through the "e" in rte on the on screen logo (with the same amount of cropping on the left). it looks absolutely horrible. i've tried every setting on the box to no avail. so unless anyone here can suggest a fix, don't buy this box for irish dtt.

This is to do with RTE's settings I believe. They are not flagging their boradcasts as widescreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

slegs wrote: »
    No havent been able to get it on my Win 7 MC
    Just answered my own question:D
    Selected RTE2, clicked on the green on-screen button and voila - EPG.;) (I have a Technisat remote which "sort of" works with DVBviewer and hardly at all with WMC so I have to use a mouse).

I couldn't get it to work on any other channel, though. As others have posted, it's a bit rubbish in comparison to the embedded EIT data that's picked up by any STB or most TVs with DTT support.

update 21.00 - the MHEG EPG now appears to be working on RTE1/2, RTENL1 for me on WMC, but sporadically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

tmcw wrote: »
    The Sagem Picnic does all that.

It doesn't do HD though.

Can you just confirm that it's the Sagem Picnic IDT81 Freeview box that you mean ? as there are some available on Ebay, but I want to make sure it's the correct model, if I was to try and buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    also finding accessing this saorview epg quite random. Sometimes it appears after a green button press, sometimes not.

As with accessing the Saorview EPG (on a Sony W4000) accessing the text as well has become random. Now finding when I exit text, I can't go back in when pressing the text button on the remote. Have to change channel before I can get text again.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

RTE NL appear to be testing an EPG on the DTT tests. Pressing the green button on any of the channels brings up the attached on my 26" Samsung (In Dublin at least). Is this the first use of the Saorview logo? The TV3 Programmes are shown on the EPG even though a testcard is being broadcast. Interesting times ahead, perhaps not too long to a soft launch.
    Yup, that's the logo I mentioned seeing at a trade show, albeit on a white background. I did say it was dull! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The EPG is only an initial "beta" version, not a final design by any means. Same goes for the MHEG text service - expect a complete overhaul prior to launch.
    As for the issues with text/EPG operating sporadically, it's a known problem :)

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Can you just confirm that it's the Sagem Picnic IDT81 Freeview box that you mean ? as there are some available on Ebay, but I want to make sure it's the correct model, if I was to try and buy one.

The manual says "IDT81 SD UK"; I got it from Currys when someone here posted the alert sometime last Sept/Oct.

I never noticed it before until I checked just now, but the sticker on the back of the unit says "IDT31 SD".

I've had the box on since about 4pm this afternoon, and it's been solid.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just to note,

The Saorview EPG is working for me on my LG 32LH4010, using Green button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Apogee

I suspect that the Easy TV application might give some insight into what RTÉ will eventually roll out.
    EasyTV will participate with RTÉ in the development and on-going management of a common EPG covering all FTA and pay channels. This EPG will give details of all DTT channels for the next 7+ days and a grid view of what programs are showing in a particular time slot across all channels over those 7+ days. The EPG will carry descriptive information about the programmes including content rating information to inform viewers of the suitable of each programme for different age groups.

In addition to the standard EIT data, EasyTV intends to transmit an ‘enhanced’ or ‘broadcast’ EPG on all multiplexes. This will be an MPEG5 application which when selected will run on the receiver’s MHEG5 middleware. It will have the same look and feel on all receivers. The application will be relatively lightweight and will load within seconds. The advantages of a broadcast EPG over embedded (STB-resident) include:

• Common look and feel across all receiver types
    • Enhanced metadata support (including TV Anytime CRID metadata)
    • Programme by genre and series linking
    • Data compression (more bandwidth efficient, faster load times)
    • Picture-in-picture support
    • Image and graphic support
    • Presentation can be easily changed (no OTA software download required)
    • Support for return path connectivity

EasyTV’s enhanced EPG application will have the following features:
    • Key programme info: time, duration, title, synopsis, detail etc
    • 7-day horizontal grid layout
    • Now-next display mode
    • Programme search
    • Program reminders
    • Record scheduler
    • Series linking and Recommendations
    • Picture-in-picture
    In addition to the above, the broadcast EPG application will provide some additional functionality to viewers with DVR-enabled receivers. These viewers will be able to programme their DVR using a combination of broadcast EPG data and EIT data. Note carriage of EIT schedule data remains important for DVR usage, as EIT P/F (Present/Following) data is the most accurate indicator of which programme is actually onair.
    DSMCC schedule data and EIT schedule data will use Content Reference Descriptors (CRIDs) to uniquely identify programme content in the broadcast schedule. The CRID will act as the primary key linking DSMCC schedule data to EIT schedule data. One or more CRID of type Programme, Series or Recommendation may be carried in each Content Identifier Descriptor (CID) which is carried in the event loop of the Event Information Table. The CID structure and CRID types will be as described in the DTG D Book. The provision of enhanced TV Anytime CRID metadata is of particular value to viewers with DVRs for series linking, genre linking, programme search and retrieval. The Freeview Plackback system deployed in the UK is based on use of CRID data. In the case where a programme broadcast is subject to copyright restrictions, persistent rights management will be applied to a DVR recording of that programme through the receiver’s conditional access system.

EasyTV regards IP return path technology as a significant opportunity to offer the viewer a wide range of exciting new services. In particular it will enable the viewer to avail of ondemand programme services, as well as the linear services currently available. For example as well as the traditional ‘look-forward’ EPG, the viewer could avail of a ‘look-back’ EPG which would enable them to view programmes they may have missed on an on-demand basis. These programmes will be delivered over the IP return path either as a streaming service or video download.
    EasyTV will provide an EPG service with a similar look and feel to the broadcast EPG service on the Channels section of its website. It will also ensure that the DTT schedule for both FTA and all subscription channels will be carried by all the national, regional and local papers.
    EasyTV understand that the UK DTG’s MHEG Interactive Return Path Group will complete definition of the MHEG return path standard later this year, and anticipates that hybrid (i.e. IP return path-enabled) DTT receivers will be available in the market in thereafter.
    EasyTV view the availability of return path connectivity as a significant development that will enhance the potential of the Irish DTT Platform as a whole, not only with regard to EPG services but also with regard to the provision of other interactive services.

4686197620_0b4588c418_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

tmcw wrote: »
    The manual says "IDT81 SD UK"; I got it from Currys when someone here posted the alert sometime last Sept/Oct.

I never noticed it before until I checked just now, but the sticker on the back of the unit says "IDT31 SD".

I've had the box on since about 4pm this afternoon, and it's been solid.

Thanks. That seems to match with the ones available on Ebay. However, they are not brand new, they are quoted as being either "almost new" or worse still, " refurbished" ! But if one could be bought for under £20, it might be worth the chance for a bit of experimenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Apogee wrote: »
    4686197620_0b4588c418_b.jpg

That's just like the current UPC EPG (exact same layout, same colour scheme, just UPC logo removed and different content), which is soon to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    No joy from an LG LH3000 (Kippure), only the TV set's own guide. The MHEG text has also been unavailable the last few days.....

Further to my original posting, I've just checked again. Saorview guide and Aertel are now appearing, but it seems to be hit-and-miss as to whether they load up to view. Sometimes they display, sometimes not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is there a DVR that can use this EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That's just like the current UPC EPG (exact same layout, same colour scheme, just UPC logo removed and different content), which is soon to be replaced.

They were part of the EasyTV consortium with RTÉ which would explain the use of the UPC epg in the application in early 2008. I believe the RTÉ MHEG-5 epg didn't appear in the trial until mid 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Hi Folks: I can confirm that the philips 32PFL5604 (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=32PFL5604H/12&slg=en&scy=IE) is compatible with this new EPG - One thing to note is that i upgraded the firmware about a month ago so i cant say whether it is compatable out of the BOX - Initially it picked up the channels alone no EPG or teletext - Then i changed my settings to france which allowed for NOW&NEXT -

Then a firmware upgrade later and both the TV EPG & Digital Teletext are functioning normally -

I dont actually understand the purpose of this EPG as most TV's generate there own - However any new features brought to SAORVIEW/Irish DTT has to be considered a good thing:

So now in conjunction with my Freesat i have hundreds of stations and not one, or two but THREE EPG's!

All i need to be complete is for the RTE HD Test Card to actually start showing something!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

liamtech wrote: »
    Hi Folks: I can confirm that the philips 32PFL5604 (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=32PFL5604H/12&slg=en&scy=IE) is compatible with this new EPG - One thing to note is that i upgraded the firmware about a month ago so i cant say whether it is compatable out of the BOX - Initially it picked up the channels alone no EPG or teletext - Then i changed my settings to france which allowed for NOW&NEXT -

Then a firmware upgrade later and both the TV EPG & Digital Teletext are functioning normally -

I dont actually understand the purpose of this EPG as most TV's generate there own - However any new features brought to SAORVIEW/Irish DTT has to be considered a good thing:

So now in conjunction with my Freesat i have hundreds of stations and not one, or two but THREE EPG's!

All i need to be complete is for the RTE HD Test Card to actually start showing something!

I had similar results, basic 'now and next' full screens when installed with France selected as country. Nothing if Ireland is set as country and no 7 day epg at all. The now and next is a full screen jobbie too not a nice lower frame effort. You got the same?

• Advertisement

I dont actually understand the purpose of this EPG as most TV's generate there own

One advantage from RTÉ's perspective is that you'd have a standardised EPG layout - easier to put out 'educational material' about DSO for those unfamiliar with digital TVs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

copacetic wrote: »
    I had similar results, basic 'now and next' full screens when installed with France selected as country. Nothing if Ireland is set as country and no 7 day epg at all. The now and next is a full screen jobbie too not a nice lower frame effort. You got the same?

Curent firmware from philips.ie, using UK as the country -you get both EPG's, aertel digital etc

Let me know how you get along

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Apogee wrote: »
    One advantage from RTÉ's perspective is that you'd have a standardised EPG layout - easier to put out 'educational material' about DSO for those unfamiliar with digital TVs etc.
    Though anyone unaware of DSO, will be more likely watching Analogue, I'd say it'll be for commercial reasons, ads and links to RTE programming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

GuidePlus+ and the Tv's native EPG (sony guide)etc.
    Will show the channels in the order you have them saved.

The SaorView EPG displays the channels in a set order.

Both have their benefits,
    Sony Guide suits me,, but with the SoarView EPG, i'm sure we'll see ad's eventually for

RTE NEWS NOW, on SoarView channel 5
    etc

SRB wrote: »
    Though anyone unaware of DSO, will be more likely watching Analogue, I'd say it'll be for commercial reasons, ads and links to RTE programming etc.

My thinking was that it would ease the transition for the last 10% of hold-outs on analogue, that when ASO comes, they could all be moved across to EPGs with a similar layout.

Personally, I'd prefer to see development of an MHEG version of RTÉ Player similar to the work done on BBC iPlayer for Freesat units in the UK. There was mention that UPC were looking at doing something with RTÉ for their cable units some time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

cc wrote: »
    Works on PlayTv also, a bit buggy as well though.

Yeah, it's tries (and fails) to load from RTE News Now via PlayTV as well. I see the RTENL2 and radio channels are not yet included on the Saorview EPG.
    The Saorview logo is as dull as ditchwater. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

pa990 wrote: »
    SoarView

I was just waiting for that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

SAOR View guide + works well on my Panasonic 50 V10 via Green button, although I prefer the Inbuilt Guide instead .. Still good to see some new developments :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

Curent firmware from philips.ie, using UK as the country -you get both EPG's, aertel digital etc

Let me know how you get along

I have same TV set to UK but haven't updated the firmware yet. Getting now and next on the Green button. Pressing the green button a second time gives you the option of now and next (green), within 24hrs (yellow) and the following 24hrs (blue). Agreed that the screen is cropped.

• Advertisement

When in the Saorview EPG, and moving about channels, does the channel select button ("OK") work on any other boxes?

On my Sagem, the "OK" button only works with the same channel that you accessed the EPG with (the one that remains reduced in size in the top-right; essentially the same as exiting the EPG). I can't, for example, access the EPG from RTE 1, move about the EPG and select Wimbledon Beo on TG4, and go directly to watch the tennis. (You can jump channels in the native EPG though).

Advertisement