Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses - Irish Date Announced!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So real fans don't have work in the morning, real fans aren't dependant on public transport, real fans didn't want a night out we simply want to pay over the odds for a gig and then realise we needed to get home because it was half 11 and we'd been here since half six and the band we paid to see, the only name on our ticket, had only played 5 songs....
    If you felt like that you shouldn't have bothered going to be honest, I wasn't in the mood for axls ****e so i didn't go...he was late all tour....fair enough a minority decided to let him know he was an ass, but all this was normal for axl.........

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

If you felt like that you shouldn't have bothered going to be honest, I wasn't in the mood for axls ****e so i didn't go...he was late all tour....fair enough a minority decided to let him know he was an ass, but all this was normal for axl.........

What a ridiculous statement to make. Most people (dare I say it - fans) bought their tickets back in June when they first went on sale. The incidents in Reading or Leeds hadn't even occurred, no comment could be made on what Axl's “mood” would be on this tour yet and having seen him before with no hysterics or antics, there was an expectation that he'd come on stage and do what he does and then leave with no issues. How the **** can you decide to go to concert based on events that haven't even happened yet? If you can explain that to me, would you mind letting me know what this Saturdays Lotto numbers are please?

phil1nj wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement to make. Most people (dare I say it - fans) bought their tickets back in June when they first went on sale. The incidents in Reading or Leeds hadn't even occurred, no comment could be made on what Axl's “mood” would be on this tour yet and having seen him before with no hysterics or antics, there was an expectation that he'd come on stage and do what he does and then leave with no issues. How the **** can you decide to go to concert based on events that haven't even happened yet? If you can explain that to me, would you mind letting me know what this Saturdays Lotto numbers are please?

he did do what he does!

he did do what he does!

No, he did what he did but he didn't do what he did before which seems to annoy people becuase they maintain that he does what he does the whole time and this time, doing what he did was just what he was doing all those other times as well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

he did do what he does!

Doesn't make ir right and complaint with Irish Consumer law. Has anyone heard back from MCD?

how far does this have to br pursued before one resorts to legal action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

he did do what he does!

You might as well just give up on the experience of going to see a band...it's not just about the music, it's about the energy the fun and the experience...and yes, Axl has previous....but so does Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam....PJ might not play Alive, Bob Dylan might not play anything you know and Van Morrison might be an asshole...but it doesn't mean you don't want to see these people

The fact is, I bought the ticket as a hardcore GNR fan, and know the band intimately and their past behaviours etc etc....so I expected something to go wrong, in the back of my mind sure, but to be treated badly by the performer, treated even worse by the promoter and then told it was my own fault and sure I can't expect a refund because I should have known better, or **** HAPPENS, or because the promoter is going on the legal argument...I mean, come on, that stinks of a Banana Republic

I didn't expect anyone to reimburse my flights, my hotel, my transport, my food, the t shirt I bought, the band's last ****ing album....but my ticket, yes, I still expect that to be refunded...and no amount of whitewash will clean this massive stain

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/Guns+Roses+pelted+with+glasses+Ireland+show/3478418/story.html

When a story like this makes the news in a local Montreal newspaper then you know it has been reported worldwide. Currently, there are 1200 stories about the incident, from Russia to Dubai

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/Guns+Roses+pelted+with+glasses+Ireland+show/3478418/story.html

When a story like this makes the news in a local Montreal newspaper then you know it has been reported worldwide. Currently, there are 1200 stories about the incident, from Russia to Dubai

I love this article not just because there's no such thing as a "plastic glass" but because of the hyperbole (pelted!!) and the line "despite every effort to get the band on stage on time...". What prevented them from doing this, what freak occurrence stopped them from getting the band on the stage 90 minutes before they actually did? Immigration problems? Traffic congestion? Abduction? Illness?
    This line also makes an absolute c*nt of their previous assertion regarding an "offcial" 9.45pm start time for the main act. Brillant!!!!!!!!

The headline "Late G'N'R leave stage following a few plastic cups being thrown at them by several pissed up morons" wouldn't quite have the same bite.

Can't beat media spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

But I'm glad it worked out for and by the looks of some of the videos on YouTube you got a great gig in return for your loyalty and patience (pun intended):rolleyes:.
    Yes, the thing with gig was Axl's voice - it still is amazing, and it probably was even better now when he just sang songs without dancing and changing clothes (no pun taken). :D

finhex wrote: »
    Yes, the thing with gig was Axl's voice - it still is amazing, and it probably was even better now when he just sang songs without dancing and changing clothes (no pun taken). :D

Sorry but that's the second time you've replied to the same post claiming that it was a great gig when he came back on. Who exactly are you trying to convince here, me or you? It was **** when he came back ! A non-interactive frontman just going through the motions so that he could paid and **** off for the night. The version of "sweet child of mine" shows what contempt he had for the crowd when he came back but as long as you were happy, that's alll that matters. General consensus was that the band were ok but Axl showed what kind of a spoilt child he can be when reality bites him on the arse. I feel sorry for people if they think this epitomises what a good rock concert is like.

• Advertisement

Sorry but that's the second time you've replied to the same post claiming that it was a great gig when he came back on.

You don't think this guy is working for MCD or the 02 do you?

Sorry but that's the second time you've replied to the same post claiming that it was a great gig when he came back on.

It's good to have your own opinion but it really wasn't a true GNR gig when he came back on and no amount of anyone convincing themselves otherwise will make a difference! Let's just leave it at that

...It was **** when he came back...
    I don't understand at all why you go see gigs instead of reading boards.ie and watching youtube videos, if that's enough for you to tell if gig was fantastic or not ;)

finhex wrote: »
    I don't understand at all why you go see gigs instead of reading boards.ie and watching youtube videos, if that's enough for you to tell if gig was fantastic or not ;)

I was there. I've seen GNR 4 times...this was the worst time. He sucked. He was perfectly fine BEFORE the unscheduled intermission, but terrible and almost scared to be onstage afterwards. That is the main reason I left, because it was painful and actually un-entertaining to watch

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ok while i can admire the persistence of both sides here, maybe agree to disagree. If this goes on til next week. It might be time to lock the thread.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ok while i can admire the persistence of both sides here, maybe agree to disagree. If this goes on til next week. It might be time to lock the thread.

Granted, but new information has been given by MCD to those who have phoned, and it does appear that things are moving forward in some direction and people are getting a response to this issue personally, or at least will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'd like to hear what how things go with this, prefer if the thread stayed open a while longer.

I have no problem if there is something new being discussed but the last few days has just been the same thing over and over. Neither side is going to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

for the love of god...lock this !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Why don't people who have lost interest in the thread just .. unfollow.jpg

I think just one of the threads should be left open so that those that wish to continue the discussion can do so.

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Why don't people who have lost interest in the thread just .. unfollow.jpg

I think just one of the threads should be left open so that those that wish to continue the discussion can do so.

Alas i can unfollow the tit for tats, and when arguments become circular and there is no progress then it is no longer a discussion.

As i said it's got a while yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

I would genuinely love to know how late or not, Axl showed up for the shows after Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭gooner99

sxt wrote: »
    I would genuinely love to know how late or not, Axl showed up for the shows after Dublin?

see below, all local times.

Vienna 18.09 , 10:15pm
    Gerneva 16.09 , 10:20pm
    Paris 13.09 , 10:30pm
    Amneville 10.09 , 10:05pm
    Zurich 08.09 , 9:40pm
    Milan 05.09 , 10:25pm
    Rome 03.09 , 10:30pm

gooner99 wrote: »
    see below, all local times.

Vienna 18.09 , 10:15pm
    Gerneva 16.09 , 10:20pm
    Paris 13.09 , 10:30pm
    Amneville 10.09 , 10:05pm
    Zurich 08.09 , 9:40pm
    Milan 05.09 , 10:25pm
    Rome 03.09 , 10:30pm

Don't forget Belfast, 9.50pm

As late as all those are, what you will notice, is that in no case was the start time as late as Dubin - it was a good 5 to 10 minutes after Paris and Rome...and astonishingly there was an hour difference inbetween Zurich and Dublin

In fact, he came on at 9pm in Dublin in 2006, so there was an hour and 40 minute difference....

As late as all those are, what you will notice, is that in no case was the start time as late as Dubin - it was a good 5 to 10 minutes after Paris and Rome...and astonishingly there was an hour difference inbetween Zurich and Dublin

In fact, he came on at 9pm in Dublin in 2006, so there was an hour and 40 minute difference....
    Did you really attended this gig? This time they started Dublin at 10:25pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭gooner99

In nealy all cases there was about an hour or more between the support act and the mian act, and count your lucky stars you got Danko Jones and not Murderdolls,haha. At quite a few there were some booing at the long wait, but that was it. Once they started the crowd were fine. But just as in Dublin it seemed to take a few songs for the crowd to really get going. If I remember rightly in Dublin both band and crowd were really starting to rock when the second bottle incident happended. Pity looking back now, as I think it would have been the same kick ass show the other venues have enjoyed. I know Axl seemed pissed off at the start of Chinese Democracy, but I do not support the assumption that he was pissed in general from the outset. I believe at that point he was pissed that he couldn't hear the mix in his ear piece. Anyone who has watched their fair share of live tracks on youtube will know that he has had issues with his ear piece in the past and just flings them across the stage for the crew to pick up and he did the same thing on that night.In fact I remember one where he flung his dodgy mic accross the stage.Ironic thing is he could have hit one of the band or crew,haha.I won't go onto the other incidents on the night,as they have been trashed out on this thread already.

Also if I'm not mistaking they came on at the RDS in 06 shortly after 8pm local time?

In nealy all cases there was about an hour between the support act and the mian act

I didn't say anything about the main act and the support act, I expected an hour of a wait between main and support act. No issue there.
    and count your lucky stars you got Danko Jones and not Murderdolls,haha.

I'd of preferred the Murderdolls, Danko Jones were useless, and massively homophobic and offensive - did the lead vocalist really need to point out on stage that one of his songs was about oral sex between a man and a woman and specifically state "not any other kind of sex, nothing else" - this sounded like a problematic statement to me and really offensive to any gay people in the audience
    Also if I'm not mistaking they came on at the RDS in 06 shortly after 8pm local time?

I could be mistaken about this, but I know that whatever time they were scheduled on paper and on the programme that day to come out at, they did...and I know...without a doubt...that everyone was shocked he was on time and prompt

According to the site GNR.com, about Dublin 2006
    The band were scheduled, and arrived, onstage at 9pm sharp. While Robin played the opening riff to 'Welcome To The Jungle' Axl surveyed the crowd and remarked that it was 'the rock show' before smiling and nodding. Axl looked in extremely good form throughout, and before 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door, he picked up an Irish flag and wore it around his neck while singing the song. He also called the crowd 'crazy Irish mother****ers' and started saying he was melting in the sun and wasnt used to performing in the sunlight. Axl also messed up the words at the start of 'The Blues.'

The majority of the crowd didnt seem to know any new material, and stayed quiet while the newer songs where being played. The crowd sang along to both Robin & Richard's 'Beautiful' solo and Ron's 'Don't Cry' solo. Sebastian Bach was brought on for a performance of 'My Michelle' and remarked that Dublin was a town that certainly knew how to drink. The band performed until 11pm, and had to cut their set short, saying that they hadn't time to perform a song (most likely I.R.S.) before performing 'Paradise City.' At the end of the evening Axl said they told him he wasnt allowed to do this, but that Ireland had been so great to him he would, and brought out the band for a bow.

I didn't say anything about the main act and the support act, I expected an hour of a wait between main and support act. No issue there.

I'd of preferred the Murderdolls, Danko Jones were useless, and massively homophobic and offensive - did the lead vocalist really need to point out on stage that one of his songs was about oral sex between a man and a woman and specifically state "not any other kind of sex, nothing else" - this sounded like a problematic statement to me and really offensive to any gay people in the audience

I could be mistaken about this, but I know that whatever time they were scheduled on paper and on the programme that day to come out at, they did...and I know...without a doubt...that everyone was shocked he was on time and prompt

According to the site GNR.com, about Dublin 2006

Immigrants and F*G***s
    They make no sense to me
    They come to our country
    And think they'll do as they please
    Like start some mini Iran
    Or spread some ****ing disease

Immigrants and F*G***s
    They make no sense to me
    They come to our country
    And think they'll do as they please
    Like start some mini Iran
    Or spread some ****ing disease

So Axl Rose writes a song, when he is sleeping homeless in LA and seeking fame and fortune...and it's later released...and despite it being a good song, musically, it's got some controversial lyrics and you think Axl Rose is a racist and Guns N' Roses might be, or may have been, a racist band? And whether or not Axl Rose is racist, which I don't believe he is, do you think that makes it somehow acceptable that the support band is also homophobic?

There was no reason for Danko to make those comments before that song, he could have simply played the song, and left it at that...instead he felt that he needed to get this point across. And I think that makes him homophobic.

• Advertisement

One interesting point which is slightly off topic but kind of relevant concerns the radio announcements for the upcoming Santana concert on the 29th at the O2. This is an MCD promoted concert and the adverts I've heard today have all given the starting time for the main act (8.00pm sharp), with no support act and a 20 minute interval.

Have MCD turned over a new leaf with regard to how they promote gigs? Did feedback from the G'N'R shambles prompt this change in how information for their gigs will be passed on to the public? Does this lend weight to all those claims that gigs do in fact have a pre-agreed start time (plus or minus a quarter of an hour)? I, for one, am intrigued slightly by this new style fo MCD advert.

Advertisement