Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How healthy are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Khannie wrote: »
    Having felt how good it's possible to feel, I would hate to go back to being unhealthy. Hate. That poxy lethargic tired feeling I used to feel all the time and just got used to. Holy god. The thought of feeling that way again just frightens the crap out of me.

So true. I've had that poxy lethargic feeling for too long, where I was so lazy I'd barely drag my ass of the couch to use the bathroom!

Only just trying to get myself healthy again, started 2 weeks ago and have been getting up at 6:15am every weekday morning to exercise on my exercise bike and stability ball before work. Even now, after only 2 weeks of regular exercise, I scorn fast food / snacks - no way am I getting up at 6:15am just to undo my hard work with some greasy takeout later in the day.

I'm 27, 6'3", and weigh about 216lb, nearly 15.5 stone. I'm trying to bring that down to just under 14 stone, which seems to be my recommended weight. Most of that surplus weight is sitting around my belly, and I can't wait until it's gone.

As for diet, I don't smoke at all, but drink 1-2 bottles of white wine at the weekend. Gonna try and reduce to 1 bottle from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Crazy, i was just thinking about this today!

Im backpacking and have been living on a diet of noodles and alcohol!! Every part of my lifestyle has gotten so bad, never exercise, drink excessively, eat rubbish, dont smoke myself but live with smokers so i may aswell be smoking a pipe all day every day.. just really bad.

But, i've moved city and have decided to give myself a massive kick up the ass!! Had fruit and yoghurt for breakfast today :) Have cut downdrinking to 1 maybe 2 times a week (come on, im still a party animal!) and have remembered my trainers burried deep within my backpack, they shall get a shaking out today or tomorrow. There's heaps of parks around me so a quick run or walk wont cost any money and will make me feel better.

So, im taking small steps towards making myself healthier.Ultimate goal is to fit into the jeans i wore on the plane coming over here 16 months ago - god, its gonna be a long road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

SoulTrader wrote: »
    have been getting up at 6:15am every weekday morning to exercise on my exercise bike and stability ball before work.

That's actually a brilliant idea. Having the discipline to get up in the morning and doing a cardio workout. If you keep your diet relatively clean then the 1.5 stone will melt away like butter in a sauna. Good luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

30, 5ft11 about 16 stone. Quite good fitness. I run 10km in just over an hour mainly up and down hill. Am quite flexible and can swim for hours. a bit of a soft belly at the moment. But give me two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

This thread has been a real eye opener for me.I weighed myself Monday (bout 15.5 stone/5ft9" :o) so gotta lose some chubb.Im lucky in that its just on my belly so should be relatively easy to shift.Went jogging 3 evenings this week and cycling two and have been eating well too.Giving myself 2 months to get to between 13 and 14 stone.Im broad as feck too (18" neck) so I can carry it fairly well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

22, 5.9ft and 8st something, so I actually think I need to gain a few pounds? Don´t drink, don´t eat meat, but also don´t excercise very much due to a bad ankle. Love fruit, so eat loads of it, so in general, I think I´m doing quite okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brezno

Hey lads,
    Just wondering has anyone actually gone for one of these NCT jobs that the private hospitals are offering? They cost about 500 quid - for that money you'd nearly want them to find something wrong with you!! ;).

Just wondering if they are actually worth the money or are they just pandering to the hypochondriac in all of us??

Recon it would be good to get a baseline for BP and chlosterol etc, hitting 34 and... well... things aren't going to get much BETTER from here on in I reckon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Fitnesss and healthy eating have been seriously neglected the past couple of months becuase of exams. Now that it's all over(almost :P) I can finally start back at Tae Kwon Do and getting back into going to the gym.

Hopefully I haven't gone backwards in terms of fitness :(

Happened across this Quiz today.

What is your Health age?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Happened across this Quiz today.

What is your Health age?

Says I'm gonna live to 96. WOOOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Dont smoke, dont drink regularly (maybe once a month and even then not crazy).

Exercise 4 or 5 times a week. SO my fitness is quite good. Id be one of the fitter people on the teams i play for.

But im not happy with my body shape and body fat and its down to my diet.

I just cannot stand most veg. So its something im willing to live with. My redeeming factor is that i love fruit, dairy and vary what i DO eat alot.

So im not 100% happy with my diet, but im happy its not going to kill me.

Have also cut out soft drinks, which has cut my sugar intake in half and seen me lose 5kg in 3 months.

Not much but then i havent changed anything else or increased my exercise. (its pretty much at the max i wanna do).

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

brezno wrote: »
    Hey lads,
    Just wondering has anyone actually gone for one of these NCT jobs that the private hospitals are offering? They cost about 500 quid - for that money you'd nearly want them to find something wrong with you!! ;).

Just wondering if they are actually worth the money or are they just pandering to the hypochondriac in all of us??

Recon it would be good to get a baseline for BP and chlosterol etc, hitting 34 and... well... things aren't going to get much BETTER from here on in I reckon!!

your gp could do most, if not all, of teh screening they offer, for a fraction of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Says I'm gonna live to 96. WOOOOO!

98 ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Love being a woman.
    Just did that test: IN YOUR FACES 102.7!!

Either you cheated in the test or you aint as lazy as your name would claim.

I call shenanigans :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

:D
    My user name is ironical.
    I clearly have superior genes.
    Bow before me, unhealthy minions.

Oh where did you get them, H+M?

/genetic humour

._.

lazygal wrote: »
    IN YOUR FACES 102.7!!

HAHAHAHA. I'm happy out with 96. Hell...I'd be damned glad to hit 80!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

says i live to 79 which im happy

tho this question here didnt help Risk-taking (motorcycle, mountain climb, skydive, higher risk job, etc.)

option often didnt help :pac:

Life expectancy 90.1,health age 20.2.:confused:

Something wrong there lads.

• Advertisement

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Life expectancy 90.1,health age 20.2.:confused:

Dammit...It is a good website. I thought it might be fairly decent.
    Well in as far as these things go.

nedtheshed wrote: »

Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

d-gal wrote: »
    98 ;):p

Same as meself, high-five! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i got 92 :)

with a health age of 16.7 :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

apparently i've the health of an 18.2 yr old

go me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Health age -15.2. I,m not even born yet. Yayy! :confused:

Why is that?

Cos with my current lifestyle then its extremely unlikely,I answered the questions as honestly as I possibly could have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Dammit...It is a good website. I thought it might be fairly decent.
    Well in as far as these things go.

ha! I gave up, didnt know answers to alot of the stuff on the first page. think i am woefully uninformed about the health of people in my family and what my cholesterol and or BP should be! I never as what it is! Doc just says its perfect!

Doc just says its perfect!

That's all you want really. :)

For cholesterol, that probably means around 4 or thereabouts. For BP that probably means 80 over 130 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ha! I gave up, didnt know answers to alot of the stuff on the first page. think i am woefully uninformed about the health of people in my family and what my cholesterol and or BP should be! I never as what it is! Doc just says its perfect!

Just guess worked for me il live till im 79 i think im going to go on a mad drug binge... :pac:

on a serous note i didnt guess any of the answers the computer told me what I wanted to hear:D
    maybe my dyslexia, wanted to imagine it .... who knows...

Advertisement