Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How healthy are you?

Options
  • 04-06-2010 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Ive been thinking about this today from my own perspective and it got me thinking about mens health in general.Now I dont mean in terms of illness's or anything like that,just general health in terms of diet,vices,exercise,how do you all reckon ye are?

Myself,Id say Im probably pretty unhealthy.

Ive been trying to quit smoking for the last 6 months and have been on and off them quite a bit in that time period.This would be my biggest downfall and the worst thing is that my doctor kicked my ass back in January because of it and Im still smoking,albeit less than I was.Im not a huge drinker,once a week,maybe twice if there is something on so thats a non runner.

Diet wise I have improved over the last 12 to 18 months and try to eat as much fruit and veg as I can,drink lots of water,avoid processed or fast foods as much as I can etc but Im a fecker for sugar,that would be my biggest diet weakness.

Exercise.There is no way to sugar coat it,Im a lazy git.Its something I aim to work on though as I come from a gene pool that would be pretty heavy and I put on weight easily.Its easier to shake it before it gets too much.

Reading that back Im a bit embarrassed TBH but I reckon its a good start to making some positive changes.

So what about the gents and ladies here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I would have a really healthy diet. It's not something that I consciously try to maintain. It's just something that I was brought up on.

I only realised it when I started living the student life and couldn't believe the crap some people put into their bodies.

I have a fry up every couple of months like everyone else, but I don't know some people do it every morning. Or worse yet, when people skip breakfast.

Oh, and anyone over the age of 15 eating coco pops looks weird :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Ive been making a huge effort lately. I used to just be lazy, not exercise, eat what i want etc. But i had to change, cause the auld storage bin is getting a bit bigger :o

I eat at leat 3 pieces of fruit a day, drink about 2/3 litres of water, do 30 mins solid exercise a day.
    Ive cut down the take away to once a week. Which just happens to be today, yay :)
    I usually have a couple of beers on a friday night too, and depending on whats going on on Saturday, i might have a good few beers, or none at all.

I do smoke though, i cant see myself giving up anytime soon, but hopefully i will in the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm 21, I smoke and weigh about 23 stone, I'll let you work the rest out yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im 28
    I smoke, Light drinker 4 to 5 pints a week. excluding shots which isnt many.
    I weight about 10.5 stone if even.
    I keep active, To most skateing may not seem active but it is, its like running on one leg :D
    my diet In the winter is very, heavy compared to the summer.
    Breaky Greek yogurt, honey, banana, toasted alomonds. and strawberrys + two cups of coffee.

Lunch about 2 bags of rocket a week and about 6 tomatos and a cumber. with a georgie porgey forman,

dinner, i eat a lot of beans so kidney beans, butter beans chicpeas, meat wisse lamb pork, chicken fish. veg maunt taut I love the stuff, green beans, red pepper, bbutter nut squash babys potatos made into wedges, sweet potato,...

Oh and I do eat steak once a week useually rare, No chip home made wedges.

Packet of biskits does me a week, peanuts, maybe ice cream.

last time I had a take away was, saturday night as a treat a rarely eat take aways grease i dont like. and i prefer cooking my own food as its better.:)

exercise wise not enouygh Im thinking of joining a gym tho im really nervous about doing it.

Thinks liek oils I only use olive oil, oh and i lovce peanut butter :D

Oh and im awaiting a new rock climbing harness and then il rock climb a few night a week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Some people treat their bodies like a temple; I treat mine like an amusement park....:o

I'm not terribly unhealthy, but there is acres of room for improvement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Smyth wrote: »
    Oh, and anyone over the age of 15 eating coco pops looks weird :confused:

I can still be caught doing this :o

I'm in a terrible state, especially when I look back a few years ago. When I was 17 I was training everyday for at least 2 hours in 3 different sports and used to drink water by the gallon and shovel as much food as I could get into me and I was in great shape.

I'm 23 now and college destroyed me. I used to drink pretty much all the time in college (down now to maybe once or twice a fortnight, go me!) and my exercise has become pretty much non existent. When I was in my final year of college, the last 4 months were a blur, literally either in bed or in front of a computer so I turned into a right pudding. Eating habits are getting better but still nowhere near perfect. Every now and again I destroy all my work by pigging out on junk food for a few days until I'm disgusted with myself and vow never again.

Have actually just started back at a martial art last night in an attempt to fight the flab and my gf has planned a special diet for us when my kid arrives (7 weeks) so thats when I hope to come back to this thread and laugh at flabby red while being slightly-less flabby red :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Yeah I'm healthy. Don't drink much, maybe about once every 18 days is probably the average.

I play football, go to the gym 3x a week (2 at the moment because of injury) and I'm closing in on a sub-21 minute, 3 mile run (was faster but injury again)

Diet Monday - Friday is usually:

Porridge, protein shake, piece of fruit
    Meat/potatoes/veg
    Meat or Fish/loooads of veg/rice
    Fish and a small bit of veg

I drizzle olive or sesame oil on my meat for some healthy fat.
    Add in an extra shake if I'm training that day. I usually eat more but I'm getting my beach body in order :D

Downfall is sleep. I only get 6 - 6.5 hours a night but I just have too much going on to get more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm not terribly unhealthy, but there is acres of room for improvement!

I think that applies to a lot of people, a couple of years ago I was super fit, cycling about 200+km a week on a mountain bike, then i changed jobs and the cycling went out the window and so did the fitness.

Joined a gym about 18 months ago and got a decent level of fitness back but then due to college commitments at night I stopped going.

Will be cycling about 200-300k a week now going forward so that will help, also bought a weight bench to use. But in saying that my diet can vary from really good to utterly atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Don't smoke and can't really consume a large amount of alcohol so I'm healthy in this sense. But I am overweight by about 2 stone (give me a break I managed to shift 4 :p) so yeah, I think I need to sit down and design a proper diet and exercise regime. My failure to do this up until now is why I haven't been able to shift the last two stone or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Don't smoke and can't really consume a large amount of alcohol so I'm healthy in this sense. But I am overweight by about 2 stone (give me a break I managed to shift 4 :p) so yeah, I think I need to sit down and design a proper diet and exercise regime. My failure to do this up until now is why I haven't been able to shift the last two stone or so.

Jebus,good for you man.

Id say I could do with shifting 2 to 3 stone myself and that it would be relatively easy to do as its mostly concentrated on mah belly.

Stupid lack of discipline.
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Jebus,good for you man.

Id say I could do with shifting 2 to 3 stone myself and that it would be relatively easy to do as its mostly concentrated on mah belly.

Stupid lack of discipline.
    :mad:

Ah I know, lack of discipline is the killer. I'm too lazy to intensify my work out which is needed if I'm gonna shift the last few stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Monday Morning to Friday Afternoon goes like this:
    Oatmeal or Fruit for Breakfast
    Pasta for Lunch
    Then off to the gym or training after work
    Then just a bowl of cereal for dinner
    Bed earlish

Then Friday After work to Sunday Evening:
    TAKEAWAY,
    BOOZE,
    SHOTS,
    WOMEN,
    LYING HUNGOVER ON THE COUCH ALL DAY,
    THEN SAME AGAIN THAT NIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I'm 26 and I was never sporty in my life, (always been more of a Playstation guy!) but in the past year I've started getting more active, mostly because I've seen too many people, my uncle included, die of a heart condition. That's a wake up call.

Anyway what I've noticed is that if you take up a few hobbies that aren't necessarily sporty you'll make yourself more active in general. As a case in point last year I took up a musical instrument, yesterday I started induction with a charity and on Tuesday I'm (planning on) starting Tango lessons.

With all that stuff on the go I find myself eating better, making more of an effort to get off the couch and to the gym, and it helps the confidence a lot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Apart from my absolutely shocking diet (too much too often) im in excellent health. Between judo, bjj and running im doing some form of excercise 5 days a week min.

In general though i think the health of men is much worse than women, i think men just have a thing about going to see gp's, physio's etc. Its definitely something that needs to change-for instance how many ads have you seen for testicular cancer awareness? id bet its nothing in comparison to the number you've seen for breast cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

Just came out of a work medical exam and all is fine but my weight was a shock to the system I'm 15 and half stone and I nearly dropped I need to lose at least 2 stone :( , I'm just like the OP about healthy eating during the week and fast food and drink at the week end , this has to stop before it gets out of hand !!

I just have to exercise , wish me luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Female 24 Non Smoker and drink about once a week if even!

College is an absolute killer for me! and I know it is because when I was unemployed I was going to the gym three times a week
    (two cardio&weights sessions and one vinyasa flow yoga class)

Started doing a masters and put myself under enormous pressure to do well so I was doing 12 hour stints in first sememster, I got the grades alright but it nearly killed me. Messed up my shoulder a couple of years back and my chirpractor gave me a serious lecture in Jan when he saw the state of me, told me immobility is what was doing the damage.
    I do walk everywhere so I always get at least 3km a day in but Chiro said its not enough, so to keep him off my back (har har :pac:) joined the college gym and try swing by on the way home but I have started doing my thesis and its proving difficult :(

I am also a huge foodie, its such a social thing for me. So if someone suggests food im there! It doesnt have to be bad food, sometimes quite the opposite! But I will always order what I want, not what has less calories! I have never gone on any fad diets because I know what I am supposed to do! I do okay but theres huge room for improvement! (Lets blame collega gain okay?!)
    However I have always been lucky enough to eat what I want without dire consequences which is probably a bad thing because one day I imagine it will catch up on me! So better to get a hold on it now I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

tbh being broke is great for my health. I can't afford to drink and I never smoked anyway. I eat pretty well but most people would probably consider it boring(Chicken,Tuna,nuts,oats,veg,fruit and eggs).

I don't do much excersize but get at least 30 mins a day.

I have terrible aerobic capacity though and I'm not that active throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oh God, in the last two years I've steadily declined in healthiness. I drink less (wasn't drinking a lot before) but I'm eating so much crap these days :(

Need to get a grip on myself and return to the way I was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

24, non smoker and pretty unhealthy. I work ridiculous shifts in work (14 hours) and get 4 days off a month. In work there is feck all to eat and im too disorganised to prepare anything decent to bring with me. Due to work I don't really get out much and any spare time is spent either on the lappy or wood turning. I'm 6' 2" and about 16 stone, I carry it ok'ish but I wanna get fit.

Seen a pic on my facebook back when I used to play american football. Shook me a bit cos I was in awesome shape and wanna get back to that state :)

So for the past while I've been cycling to work, cutting my hours and doing my best to eat healthily. Big effort on cutting out junk food and fizzy drinks. Tomorrow I'm heading into town to get myself a nice XC mountain bike so I can be more active :) Lost maybe about 2/3 lbs, it's not the weight im concerned about though it's my fitness and general health.

So here's hoping it all goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Exercise every day but I have a pretty crap diet. I need to put on more weight. Time is my biggest killer as I would n't have enough time to cook proper food so generally food that is popped in the oven for half an hour. Injured since January which limits how much exercise I can do. Long work hours and stress do not help either but hopefully that will change in the next 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I eat about ten biscuits a day and not enough fresh fruit. But I do get plenty of exercise on my bike, I have muesli and apple juice in the morning, meat and two veg in the evening and I have a fairly steady sleeping pattern. Also, I don't smoke or drink and I never did. So I think I'm healthier than average.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

29, non smoker and drink maybe 2-3 times a month if that...

Keep fit by training for hurling twice a week, running one or two days a week and playing a hurling match every week or 10 days. I walk to most places I can also:)

Diet is pretty decent, vegetarian and eat at least 2-3 portions of fruit and 2 pieces of veg a day, drink at least 2L of water a day, hardly eat junk food and try to eat 5-6 times a day, because I have a high metabolism and weigh just under 10st at 5'9", so should probably try to get 1st extra onto me but that would be damn hard as I dont work out in a gym or at home.

I should really be alot fitter than this, ran Dublin Marathon last year, used to cycle over 100mi a week years ago aswell as playing soccer and would love to be super-fit like that again. All in all, I would consider myself pretty healthy yeah:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

18, don't smoke or drink but I don't exercise or eat well either.

Despite that I'm closer to underweight than over.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Im thinking of joining a gym tho im really nervous about doing it.

Why? i joined one last year and im delighted i did,im in the best shape ive been in since i was about 10 and im 29 now(Jesus i miss having the energy of a kid,i used to run around non stop playing football and all that for hours on end without getting tired)i made a big change in my diet and general fitness about 2 years ago,i started slowly but now i reckon im healthier than most guys my age,i drink about 2 or 3 times a month(beer or red wine)weetabix mixed with alpen for brekkie,i love fruit and i rarely eat fast food,maybe every month or two(sometimes a lot longer)

My metabolism started slowing down a bit at 25,most of my buddies agree this is about the age it happend to them too,i used to eat total rubbish,anything i wanted whenever i wanted,i was lucky to be fairly active with a blast furnace metabolism,its still pretty good(people are always giving me **** over it,especially girls:D)but ive noticed it slowing down,no doubt about it

And contrary to what another poster has said i reckon men are far healthier than women nowadays,under 30(ish)anyway,my male friends and work collegues take far better care of themselves than the women i know,i know lots of overweight women but very,very few overweight guys

Anyway,best of luck to anyone starting out on a new "diet",trust me youll feel the difference after a couple of weeks of healthy eating and being active,youll feel better,look better and wont actually want to eat rubbish once you havent had it for awhile,i gave up fizzy drinks and fast food and that kind of thing years ago and i couldnt go back to it if you paid me,makes my stomach turn now(apart from the odd BurgerKing once in a blue moon after a night out....yeah,yeah i know)

25, non-smoker, drink every now and again but not too often really. Exercise-wise I think I'm grand (cycle 5 miles to work every day and walk the dog at night) but I think my diet needs an overhaul - bring in fruit and a yogurt for a snack at around 11am each day but lunch and dinner are usually my downfall. That and chocolate!

Have a bit of space in the back garden so am starting to grow some veg which hopefully will push me into eating more veg and better meals. m

Overall I think I'm OK but diet is the main one to watch.

I don't see myself doing any more exercise though - I know if I spent money on a gym I'd end up not going to it! OH wants to do more swimming though, that might be a possibility some evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Joey1349

18 yo male, non smoker, drinker.
    6, 2" in height, and am 18 and a half stone. Used to body build from age of 16 to 9 months ago. Put on 2.5 stone of muscle in that period, but completely messed up my arms and had to immediately stop, which has resulted in my putting on alot of weight. I hate it, I used to be skinny as hell, now its embarrassing going shopping for new clothes whenever I have to.. The sizes keep going up and up...

I drink quite a bit when I am out, but no more than twice a week and would def take the 2nd night very handy if was out two nights
    I'm also a semi pro musician, which involves a lot of driving, busing and eating junk on a very regular basis. This week there is going to be a gig in Wexford thursday, Donegal friday, Sligo on saturday and 3 in London begining sunday to wednesday.
    I can see that being a great healthy experience. But I'm getting better and have joined the gym again, for some cardio, try swimming too but arm keeps getting sore. Cursed golfers elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

MediumWell wrote: »
    Yeah I'm healthy. Don't drink much, maybe about once every 18 days is probably the average.

Uuuugh, I spoke too soon, stupid bank holidays...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

25, female, non-smoker and I'm not a big drinker. If I could cut down on sugar and caffeine my diet would be relatively decent, I'm not a big fan of takeaway-type food. I run quite a bit (25-30 miles per week at the moment, and that will increase to 50 mpw as marathon training goes on), but I don't really do any weights or core work and I know I should. I'd like to lose a stone (I'm just over 10 stone at 5'6" at the moment), but I'm not in a major rush for that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Why? i joined one last year and im delighted i did,im in the best shape ive been in since i was about 10 and im 29 now(Jesus i miss having the energy of a kid,i used to run around non stop playing football and all that for hours on end without getting tired)i made a big change in my diet and general fitness about 2 years ago,i started slowly but now i reckon im healthier than most guys my age,i drink about 2 or 3 times a month(beer or red wine)weetabix mixed with alpen for brekkie,i love fruit and i rarely eat fast food,maybe every month or two(sometimes a lot longer)

Simply because I've never been in one and I don't know how to uyse any of the machines or anything :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Simply because I've never been in one and I don't know how to uyse any of the machines or anything :confused:.

I really wouldnt worry about that,everyone starts off at the same place,do you have any friends who could show you around? in the one i go to theres instructers working there who show you how to use the machines,one of my buddies did a session with me during one of my first days there,after that i was totally confident in there,i have a few friends who are nervous about going too,they think people will be looking at them and laughing/judging them or whatever,the thing is no one gives a **** about what anyone else is doing,trust me after a day or two you'll be hunky dory,you might even enjoy it,i do!

Advertisement