Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How healthy are you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Good thread and relevant for me at the moment.

I'm 26, 6 foot 2 or so and about 17 stone. Sounds very heavy (it is!) but i carry it OK. My average healthy weight is apparently 14.5 stone and I'm in week three of trying to shift that excess 2.5.

I've never smoked (never even tried one) but I drink a fair amount and my diet is poor. I love exercise when motivated though (4.10 miler at 20) so I'm throwing myself back into that. Gym or a run 5 nights a week. I'm also trying to make my diet a bit better with more fresh and home cooked food replacing junk.

As a single guy living on my own, the diet part can be hard though. Cooking for yourself after a day of work is a pain in the a*s. Cooking and freezing stuff is OK but it leads to repetitive meals. Switching my snacks to fruit was fine but it's the main meals i still struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm healthy enough tbh. Though compared to how I was in late teens and early 20's I'm a disgrace :) was superfit in those days and was in geat condition physically.

I smoke far too much, not a huge drinker, I can cut loose, but I'm not a regular boozer. I am partial to the odd nighcap though.

Diet is mixed to be fair. I really enjoy cooking, so when the mood takes me its great. Like many people though I get lazy, so the take away is a friend also. To the previous poster though, invest in a chest freezer. You can fill it up with all sorts of stuff, and because of its size, you'll always find something new in it.

Excercise isn't my strongest point anymore sadly. Due to the pressues of work, I'm usually beyond knackered a lot of the time. Things are changing though. New doggy is arriving next week, she will need plenty of walks. I've set up a mini home gym for me and wifey, and we've started to take advantage of the beautiful surroundings we live in. Add to that a change in working hours and practices, and I think I'll be getting back close to my best in a few months.

I find staying motivated the hard part tbh. Anyone got any tips there?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im 27 6ft 2ins and weigh 16 stone on button. I was 21st two years ago but decided that needed to change. I carry weight pretty well as have broad shoulders and quite strong.

I joinded rugby club and that helps me out during winter/spring time.

For rest I try vary workouts between weight sessions and cardio that may be a 5-10k jog or HIIT. My diet is thing thta keeps me from maybe loosing bit more weight, I have big love for food and could eat enough for 3-4 people per day from time to time but has improved quite lot. Starting to have more veg and fruit and seen my fitness get pretty ok now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

I'm not that healthy. I am ordering take away's every night and eating breakfast roles every morning, plus crisps,bars and other snacks throught out the day.

I really need to start getting more active and eating a lot less :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Not all that healthy, but probably still in the best shape that I can remember, if not ever, which says a lot. Age 25, about 6'3" tall, and weigh about 15 stone, when last checked, down from 16st 6lb around January. I try to keep a healthy diet, but old habits die hard, unfortunately, and it has its dark days.... Don't drink much either.

As far as exercise goes, I'm not really a gym person, but in an average week I'd have 2 games of 5 a-side football, 2 tag rugby matches, and usually either an 80-100km cycle, or another game of football. As an indicator of improved fitness, back in January 26 miles/42km cycling was enough to knacker me, whereas last weekend I still had the energy for a night out after a 120km cycle up the Wicklow mountains.

So, well on the road to an improved state, but a good bit more to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm very healthy though it's mostly because of my sport. Don't drink much. Eat well. Exercise a LOT. I'm lean. Very fit. Blah blah blah.

Having felt how good it's possible to feel, I would hate to go back to being unhealthy. Hate. That poxy lethargic tired feeling I used to feel all the time and just got used to. Holy god. The thought of feeling that way again just frightens the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

well now im finished college ive nothin to do so im spendin bout 8hrs a week in the gym. drink bout 5pints of water a day and have cut out a load of ****e that i used to eat. soccer season will be startin in august anyway so that'l be doubly as good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I really wouldnt worry about that,everyone starts off at the same place,do you have any friends who could show you around? in the one i go to theres instructers working there who show you how to use the machines,one of my buddies did a session with me during one of my first days there,after that i was totally confident in there,i have a few friends who are nervous about going too,they think people will be looking at them and laughing/judging them or whatever,the thing is no one gives a **** about what anyone else is doing,trust me after a day or two you'll be hunky dory,you might even enjoy it,i do!

nah my friends live in a different town only reason Im choosing this gym is its close to wear I live and my friends live in another town. i think your right I may just go in and have a chat.

I wouldnt be to nervous il be going in during the day so wont be to many around :)

Khannie wrote: »
    Having felt how good it's possible to feel, I would hate to go back to being unhealthy. Hate. That poxy lethargic tired feeling I used to feel all the time and just got used to. Holy god. The thought of feeling that way again just frightens the crap out of me.

see now thats the motivator I need. I actually think a lot of my so called knackeredness is that feeling, and not real tiredness at all. If I could just get to your happy "i'm so fit" place i'd be sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think I'm pretty healthy but there's room for improvement
    -don't smoke and never have
    -drink very little, one glass of red wine per week
    -do lots of weight lifting and am pretty strong
    -low bodyfat, 29 inch waist, 12 stone
    -don't ever add extra salt to my food
    -cholesterol and BP good
    -don't find my job stressful

Diet could be better, some days its very good but I also have too many takeaways and processed food which are often laden with sat fat or salt or both.

I also don't do any formal aerobic exercise apart from whatever I do day to day eg if there's a stairs and a lift i'll use the stairs and bound up it, will walk places briskly, will deliberately park my car at the far end of car parks so I can get a walk (and also to avoid my car being hit by crap drivers)

• Advertisement

Dr Galen wrote: »
    see now thats the motivator I need. I actually think a lot of my so called knackeredness is that feeling, and not real tiredness at all. If I could just get to your happy "i'm so fit" place i'd be sorted :)

I bet you're probably right tbh. I think it's the 80 / 20 rule too. I think you can get 80% of the benefit with 20% of the effort. I'd be happy to help you out any way I can.

well thats a very kind offer. I'll probably hit you up for a few training tips alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I bet you're probably right tbh. I think it's the 80 / 20 rule too. I think you can get 80% of the benefit with 20% of the effort. I'd be happy to help you out any way I can.

Never heard anyone say that before but it's pretty true in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Very healthy. Don't eat white carbs, dairy, red meat. Don't drink. Go to the gym 5 times a week. Cycle,don't drive. Have a 13% body fat level, 8.0 PH level. 4 litres of water a day, and a feck load of vitams,fish oils, tablets etc....Don't eat processed foods, don't use butter,salts etc....I have a low cholestorel, don't smoke, don't stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I'm very healthy though it's mostly because of my sport. Don't drink much. Eat well. Exercise a LOT. I'm lean. Very fit. Blah blah blah.

I hear ya! you dont know how unhealthy you are(or were)until you get healthy,theres so much food i used to love that i wouldnt eat now if you paid me,i got a KFC a few weeks ago for the first time in God knows how long just cause i was hungry and near one,i couldnt believe how ill i felt after it,it really is ****e,the older you get the more important it is to look after yourself,after you eat right for a few weeks you wont want to go back to your old ways

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

ummmm as a full paid up member off the unhealthy squad [am 33 going on 34] i can say its a pain as for the best part off a year i being trying [as best as I can] to get in shape. no luck so far but here hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

right Im going to ring the gym tomorow I really am. i expect to be heckled if i dont come back with news bassiacly I cant go skating because its raining and its driving me nuts

slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    Very healthy. Don't eat white carbs, dairy, red meat. Don't drink. Go to the gym 5 times a week. Cycle,don't drive. Have a 13% body fat level, 8.0 PH level. 4 litres of water a day, and a feck load of vitams,fish oils, tablets etc....Don't eat processed foods, don't use butter,salts etc....I have a low cholestorel, don't smoke, don't stress.

That sounds awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pretty healty myself, have always been in decent nick more so from the love of dong different sports than actually trying to be fit,

Currently train Mauy thai 5 hours a week over 3 days, other days consist of gym work and jog after, Sunday i relax.,
    I eat healthy but not noting crazy, i guess i do so much exercise so i can allow myself some nasty food now and again.

Dont smoke never have but i like night out on the beer probable once every two weeks, :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

43, 5 foot 11, 10.5 stones. Diet pretty good. Dont eat takeaways, pizzas, chinner dinners, burgers and never have. Rarely eat bread. Fish meat, fruit and veg is about it. Drink? couple of times a week and would have a glass of vino with my evening meal. Maybe should dial that back. Smoke? Like a chimney for far too many years. TBH I'd say the damage is done there already. Id be shocked if it wasnt, even though Ive dialed that right back. Exercise? None, zip, nada. Well Id walk a fair bit, but actual exercise? nope. Heart attack waiting to happen. The last time I tried I was fooked disturbingly quickly. Whats worse is I was hyper fit when younger. Blood pressure is 120 over 70 and cholesterol is good and more of the good HDL stuff apparently. I think what has saved me so far is the diet. Funny in a way because I dont look bollexed I think that has been a disadvantage. If I woke up a fat bugger in the morning I'd do something about it pronto. Funny eh?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

20, 11 stone, 5'9/8 (i think). Diet is grand apart from the occasional chinese/pizza etc Wouldn't drink that often, maybe once a week but it really depends on the occasion. I'm coming off the beer though, switching to more calorie light drinks. Don't eat sweats/chocolate, don't drink fizzy drinks, I'd mainly drink water or milk. Been cycling to work for about a month and bit now which is around 14km a day. Back in the gym a few weeks now after breaking my arm on new years so it's only up from here really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

38 years old, 5 ft 9 inches, 17 stone.

Play some squash, not much exercise. Drink far too much and diet has gone to pot in the last few years. Reading some of the posts here has really got me thinking, I need to sort myself out.

great post op

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

28 - 6ft - 14st

Id say Im pretty healty these days. Have managed to stick fairly rigidly to all the resolutions I made in January. Dont smoke and drink **** all tbh. I now eat very little fried food, have cut down on spuds and bread, no sugar in tea, only eat takeaways once a fortnight max (usually every 3/4 weeks)
    Also taking regular exercise for the first time in years. Try to run for an hour 3 times a week. So far this regime has seen me drop from almost 16st to 14. I feel great I have to say. Fitting in to old jeans again and the moobs have become pecs (sort of!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Turning 30 in November.
    In decent enough shape, don't drive, walk everywhere.
    12 stone on the button, a shade under 6 foot. BMI is spot on: 22.5
    BP is 126/77, body fat is circa 10%

Used to be 15 stone 8 years ago.

Happy enough, don't smoke, don't eat meat.
    Would like to be fitter so will be doing the full cork marathon next year.
    Did the final leg this year in a relay and loved it.

I use a simple frame of reference.
    I use a myoptape around my waist over the belly button first thing saturday mornings. It's a good indicator to see if i've gained/lost weight. It's been 31 inches since forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

28, 5' 7" and around 125lbs. I am very lean, waist 29". I workout about 1 1/2 every day and run about 5k maybe twice a week and eat fairly well. I don't go by eating rules like "no carbs after 6" or "bread free meals", just bollox in my opinion. I don't even get the urge to eat junk food any more, even for the splurge factor. I do eat a chocolate bar every once in a while or go out to eat but I only end up eating half of what they give me. I don't drink or smoke, I prefer to do outdoorsy stuff with my wife, go for walks, hikes, etc. Portion sizes are massive in the USA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

25, Bang on 6foot, don't smoke and drink when I feel like it a couple of times a week. Current weight 18 stone.
    diet as terrible, Work is very stressful, I get very little exercise.my cholesterol is bellow average but my BMI is high (as expected).. cant figure that one out.

Ruu wrote: »
    Portion sizes are massive in the USA!

They sure are. I was around 120lbs hitting the US for my J1 and around 145lbs coming home 4 months later. God damn you and your delicious burgers Karls Jr!

To be honest I looked better for it. I was very skinny going over there; Verging on under weight. Still though, it was a phenomenal weight gain.

edit: Jesus...I just remembered...there was a pizza we used to get delivered: It had to be turned sideways to get in the door.

hobochris wrote: »
    cant figure that one out.

You lost me a bit...can't figure which one out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

You lost me a bit...can't figure which one out?

He can't figure out how his BMI is high yet Cholesterol Low

• Advertisement

They're not directly related. :)

Advertisement