Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric showers

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Liverpool1981

Ok cheers. I'm in Dublin 24, so not really sure about how good mains pressure is to be honest. Plumber also said if tap is running downstairs when someone is in the shower, it might affect the pressure too. Is it cheaper to run than likes of T90?

I'm not sure if I made the right choice, I really wouldn't be knowledgable on the subject :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your mains fed shower and a t90 cost the same to run, if anything your shower could cost less to run in the long term because you have no pump its one less part to fail. Dublin 24 has you at the foot of the mountains. I'm guessing that you have good enough pressure.

Had shower earlier and seems decent enough. It's not "amazing" pressure but I think i'm associating the usual t90 noise with power of the water pressure.... just seems odd without it. Suppose i'll get used to it. Thanks for all the information mate.

Had shower earlier and seems decent enough. It's not "amazing" pressure but I think i'm associating the usual t90 noise with power of the water pressure.... just seems odd without it. Suppose i'll get used to it. Thanks for all the information mate.

I fit them for a living. Most electric showers in Ireland have pumps. My heart still skips a beat when I turn on a new mains fed shower. For a split second I always think it's not working. 😊

I suppose I didn't do my research, it's not my forte at all, so it's to talk to experts on here. I'm just hoping that I didn't make a mistake getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If its a comfortable temperature, as in not too hot, then that's the maximum flow rate (rather than static pressure) that you're going to get. A higher flow rate and the water will be cooler, which is what you are actually doing when you vary the temperature in instant electric showers.... You're varying the flow rate.

The flow rate will be better in summer for a given output temperature since the initial temperature in the water will be higher, although this is more noticeable in pumped electric showers with attic storage tanks more prone to getting very warm on hot days than mains pipes.

I'm a bit lost with that to be honest but it does seem to be a very hot shower, had to turn it right down as water was very hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'm a bit lost with that to be honest but it does seem to be a very hot shower, had to turn it right down as water was very hot.

When you turn the temperature dial to cooler, it is simply increasing the water flow to make it cooler.

So if its fully at the cooler end of the dial, and still a bit too hot, then you don't really have enough flow to the shower.

Ok I get that, thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 grumpymenever

Hey Lads,

Which is the best shower.
    Have to replace a Mira elite st and was thinking of trying a Triton t90z or the new Mira elite QT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

Hey Lads,

Have to replace a Mira elite st and was thinking of trying a Triton t90z or the new Mira elite QT.

Just do a search with "Triton vvs Mira" in Boards.ie and you will see plenty of opinions from installers etc.

Hey Lads,

This is a tough question. The QT is only out 3 months & we are getting a very high rate of warranty repairs with them. Its a bit like windows releasing the next windows 11, lots of people wont even look at it till sp1. The QT has major pump issues & its best not to go there till they sort them out.

About 1 in 3 of qt showers are quieter (not anywhere near the 75% claimed but maybe 30% quieter)
    About 1 in 3 qt showers are the same noise as a regular shower.
    About 1 in 3 qt showers are louder that a regular shower.
    Some of them sound like a dentists drill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    When you turn the temperature dial to cooler, it is simply increasing the water flow to make it cooler.

So if its fully at the cooler end of the dial, and still a bit too hot, then you don't really have enough flow to the shower.

Incorrect Robbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

Incorrect Robbie.

what exactly are you disputing in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Hi I am going to replace a Mira vigour power shower, my question is - is it ok for the the plumber to do this or is an electrician needed for the electrical bit?

Thanks

grouchyman wrote:
    Hi I am going to replace a Mira vigour power shower, my question is - is it ok for the the plumber to do this or is an electrician needed for the electrical bit?

This is an old electric shower form. You don't have an electric shower. You have a power shower. Many electricians don't like to work with water. Why not use a dedicated shower repair service?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is an old electric shower form. You don't have an electric shower. You have a power shower. Many electricians don't like to work with water. Why not use a dedicated shower repair service?

Is there still a distinction between electric showers and (electric) power showers?

Yes.

Electric shower has an element & heats the water. With or without a pump they put out 3 to 4.5 litres of warm water per minute depending on the time of year. They will have some of the biggest cable in the house & run back to a 40 amp RCBO.

Power shower takes water already heated and can pump it out at almost any rate you want. My own pumps out 23 litres of warm water per minute. They usually run on little more than flex to a 3 amp fuse.

Electric refers to the element.

Power refers to the power of the water pressure

Dedicated shower repair company

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Hi, thanks for the response. I will be replacing the shower with the modern equivalent of the same which I think is the vigor thermostatic power shower. because it gets turned on from a switch I thought an electrician would be needed to connect the shower to the switch, or is it ok for the plumber to do it?

grouchyman wrote:
    Hi, thanks for the response. I will be replacing the shower with the modern equivalent of the same which I think is the vigor thermostatic power shower. because it gets turned on from a switch I thought an electrician would be needed to connect the shower to the switch, or is it ok for the plumber to do it?

You'll struggle to get an electrician to install it. Technically an electrician should wire it & test it. He/she will run an impedance test but very few electricians will entertain the plumbing part of the installation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement