Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your top 10 games ever!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We're only doing so because he is clearly out to cause trouble nothing more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

ha ha. that will queiten him logie! but surely that is not enough to warrant a ban? considering there are othe posters telling people to stick opinions up their xxxx and so on?

it seems that one is not entitled to one's opinion. i believe final fantasy 7 to be one of the greatest games of all time, but there are people here who won't let me have my opinion. japanese rpgs are a thing of the past in my opinion, but in my opinion final fantasy 7 will live on forever.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    We're only doing so because he is clearly out to cause trouble nothing more.

i am here to take part in this discussion. don't get angry just because i dislike PDS. i am simply saying it is one of the worst RPGs of our time in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

i am here to take part in this discussion. don't get angry just because i dislike PDS. i am simply saying it is one of the worst RPGs of our time in my opinion.

Can you explain why you think it's one of the worst?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also how long did it take you to beat it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

tbh i am still surprised that twilight zone has been threatened to take a holiday from the forum for saying he likes or dislikes certain games. does this mean we all have to agree with the moderators opinions?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can you explain why you think it's one of the worst?

the graphics were some of the worst i've seen, the characters were so unidentifiable, unlike cloud and aeris in final fantasy VII, the soundtrack was a jumble of inconsistent notes, and don't get me started on the storyline, by far one of the least captivating in RPG games. i finished the games in 17 hours. simply not good enough to be even considered an RPG, in my opinion

tbh i am still surprised that twilight zone has been threatened to take a holiday from the forum for saying he likes or dislikes certain games. does this mean we all have to agree with the moderators opinions?

i agree. unless you think PDS is the greatest game of all time, you will get a warning.

the graphics were some of the worst i've seen, the characters were so unidentifiable, unlike cloud and aeris in final fantasy VII, the soundtrack was a jumble of inconsistent notes, and don't get me started on the storyline, by far one of the least captivating in RPG games. i finished the games in 17 hours. simply not good enough to be even considered an RPG, in my opinion

17 hours??? fair fxxks to you

Took you that long to search that figure from my posts? You can stop lying now. What's the name of the thing that needs to be brought to sestren to stop it? What happens to Edge when he gets captured on the ship from panzer dragoon zwei?

How long did it take you to beat marcuspheonix out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What a load of general generic comments. Nothing specific to the game at all. You've confirmed that you haven't played it ;)

Plus the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. And yes, I do also love the FF VII soundtrack before you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Hmmm, how can an RPG be not good enough to be considered an RPG!?

Is it not just a bad RPG?

Took you that long to search that figure from my posts? You can stop lying now.

do you seriously think i have that little to do that i would search through your posts? that's brilliant, lmao! i have played the game, i have given my opinion, now move on with your life!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

twilightzone of course you are entitled to your opinion, you are not however entitled to troll all over this thread. Given your 29 posts on boards.ie and the 12 or so in the Arcade and Retro it's obvious you need a hand learning the ropes. The kind of carry on below is not acceptable.
    great comment, easily the best on this thread. retrogamer doesn't have a clue.
    u clearly don't appreciate video games if you stopped reading. the name of the post is "your top ten", ie its about personal preference and opinion. my opinion is that ff7 is one of the greatest games ever made. its my view so keep your ****ty opinion to yourself.
    it is rather a pity that so many n00bs are commenting and raving on about the putrid, foul and oftentimes stinking Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    exactly. so stop crying about it and let people have their opinions. and my opinion is ff7 is one of the greatest games ever. thats my opinion. ff7. great. game. so. great. opinion. mine.

If you feel you are being unfairly treated feel free to PM me or use the boards.ie help desk. Fair warning.

The rest of you should know better. NO MORE FEEDING got it?

Thanks,

LoGiE

Hmmm, how can an RPG be not good enough to be considered an RPG!?

Is it not just a bad RPG?

good point, but for me the majority of RPGs are an epic gaming experience, ie. final fantasy VII, suikoden, all zelda games, the granstream saga, oblivion, fallout, etc. PDS, on the other hand, was far from epic. it was epically bad.

Took you that long to search that figure from my posts? You can stop lying now. What's the name of the thing that needs to be brought to sestren to stop it? What happens to Edge when he gets captured on the ship from panzer dragoon zwei?

How long did it take you to beat marcuspheonix out of curiosity?

its been a long time ago since i played pds, the extremely rare japanese rpg but i reckon it would of been closer to 30 hours. it was another reason i didnt rate the game. an rpg should be at least 50 hours + to complete

What a load of general generic comments. Nothing specific to the game at all. You've confirmed that you haven't played it ;)

Plus the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. And yes, I do also love the FF VII soundtrack before you ask.

great "proof"! the game was far too simple, i only died once in an entire playthrough. i'm a hardcore gamer so i'm looking for a challenge. the only challenge this game posed was the will to sit through it, in my opinion.

its been a long time ago since i played pds, the extremely rare japanese rpg but i reckon it would of been closer to 30 hours. it was another reason i didnt rate the game. an rpg should be at least 50 hours + to complete

yes 50+ is what a great RPG should be, unlike PDS which, even amongst my friends, felt as though it was underwritten and empty.

I liked the length of the game. There was no filler and fetch quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

FF7 and PDS are both shoite*, Morrowind is where it is at :pac:

*I've not played either, which may or may not affect the credibility given to my opinion

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

yes 50+ is what a great RPG should be, unlike PDS which, even amongst my friends, felt as though it was underwritten and empty.

Wrong. Length of time does not make a good RPG...or a good anything in fact.

Some proof to that effect, Final Fantasy XIII. Going by your arguement, the 20 hour tutorial must make it the best game ever made. When in fact it's god awful.

I liked the length of the game. There was no filler and fetch quests.

how long did it take you to complete it?

Some proof to that effect, Final Fantasy XIII. Going by your arguement, the 20 hour tutorial must make it the best game ever made. When in fact it's god awful.

no i agree, it wasn't a fantastic game. unlike ff7.

length of time goes a hell of a long way to making a game an epic. i know that you could have a game 100 hours plus and it could be utter crap. but if there are people claimng to have passed a so called great classic unbelievable game like pds in 17 hours or under, its hard to call it a classic rpg. role playing games are designed differently to your regular platformer/fsp/action game as in that it is, as the name suggest, a role playing game. if you complete it in under 17 hours the game is not deep enough and does not delve into what really matters in an rpg, the characters and background stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

great list, nice to see someone here who knows their games!

Heh thanks ^^

i agree with what you said about length of time does not make a good anything. the length of time you have tried to convince us all that Panzer is great has been wasted.

Master of the Universe

length of time goes a hell of a long way to making a game an epic. i know that you could have a game 100 hours plus and it could be utter crap. but if there are people claimng to have passed a so called great classic unbelievable game like pds in 17 hours or under, its hard to call it a classic rpg. role playing games are designed differently to your regular platformer/fsp/action game as in that it is, as the name suggest, a role playing game. if you complete it in under 17 hours the game is not deep enough and does not delve into what really matters in an rpg, the characters and background stories

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was epic. If anything there was too much background story. The whole thing clocks in at under 10 hours.

I could say the same for any other such film trilogies.

Why do games have to be a million hours long to be considered epic? Simple answer, they don't. You're just attaching your preconceived ideas of what games should be. That's bull. It's about what things are. PDS is an epic.

I finished PDS from start to finish over the course of 5 days. They were an absolutely epic 5 days where I pretty much spent most of my time thinking about the game. It didn't NEED to go on for 6 months. It did what it needed to do in that timeframe. And it did it brilliantly.

I'm currently playing through Zelda:LTTP. It's not a true RPG, but it's still absolutely epic. And I'll have finished it in far less than it took to finish PDS.

how long did it take you to complete it?

17 hours, I also died once and I've said so in countless posts so you see why I'm suspicious.

A great game is a great game regardless of length. PDS was 17 hours long for me but in that time there was more characterisation, storytelling and exposition than than there is in the vast majority of RPGs. PDS didn't need to be 50 hours long. It was well written and got it's excellent story told in a third of the time it takes most RPGs. The game forgoes all the filler that usually stretches RPGs out to 50+ hours. There's no needless fetch quests (you can't get through this door unless you bring me macguffin 101 from the other side of the world) or padding. The game is as long as it needs to be and still manages to tell an epic story in this time and it's one of the main reasons I like it.

Just because a game is short doesn't meanit's crap. MGS is short, Super Metroid can be beaten in an hour. Robotron typically lasts 2 minutes. Doesn't stop them being some of the best games ever made.

17 hours, I also died once and I've said so in countless posts so you see why I'm suspicious.

A great game is a great game regardless of length. PDS was 17 hours long for me but in that time there was more characterisation, storytelling and exposition than than there is in the vast majority of RPGs. PDS didn't need to be 50 hours long. It was well written and got it's excellent story told in a third of the time it takes most RPGs. The game forgoes all the filler that usually stretches RPGs out to 50+ hours. There's no needless fetch quests (you can't get through this door unless you bring me macguffin 101 from the other side of the world) or padding. The game is as long as it needs to be and still manages to tell an epic story in this time and it's one of the main reasons I like it.

Just because a game is short doesn't meanit's crap. MGS is short, Super Metroid can be beaten in an hour. Robotron typically lasts 2 minutes. Doesn't stop them being some of the best games ever made.

since when have mgs and metroid become rpg's? i thought you said you were a mountain of knowledge when it comes to videogames. neither of the above are rpg's. yet again you are twisting what someone says in this forum to please your opinion. i said RPG'S should be longer than 17 hours. i never said SUPER METROID OR PLATFORMERS SHOULD BE 50 HOURS LONG. im not going to discuss pds or ff7 anymore because anyone that disagrees with some of the moderators here is automatically wrong and told to shove their opinion up their xxxx and called idiots

• Advertisement

I never said they were RPGs. Those games are considered short as well by the genres they are in. So is PDS. I was using them as an example showing that just because a game is short doesn't mean it's bad or not epic.

Also moderators aren't given any special rights here. I've no power over this forum and can be banned from it as well. I've just been given power to look after the forums I moderate which which mostly involves deleting spam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement