Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Bastar-di's Updated winter warning 2010-2011 for Ireland and The UK

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

In general,how accurate does Joe tend to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

woody1 wrote: »
    jesus christ i dont know what has me more depressed, the budget or that forecast, as it is the roads are playing hell with work, life etc and i have to get a pregnant woman to a hospital an hour away sometime from the 16th december on... i look at accuweather a lot but im praying to god that their wrong this time..

I would advise doing some emergency midwifery research and informing yourself just in case. Better to be prepared. Also make up an emergency delivery kit of your own and keep it in the car. Get a couple of large flasks that you can put hand temperature water in for taking in the car. Stainless steel and not those vacuum ones that shatter easily inside. Make sure you have your breakdown warning signs in the boot of the car. Some of those shoe crampon things that they speak about in another thread would be useful for getting from your car to the door of the hospital.

This link has some useful info and you are not obliged to buy any of the stuff mentioned from there. It may be useful to speak to her midwife/delivery hospital and ask them for advice too. There are loads of links if you google.

http://www.edeliverykit.com/instructions.htm

http://www.planababy.com/DELIVERY%20EMERGENCY.HTM

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/1/18/us-department-of-defense-guide-to-emergency-childbirth.html

It most likely won't come to it but having experienced an emergency delivery myself, albeit under hospital conditions, it would be reassuring to know that everybody involved knows what to do and more importantly what NOT to do. :D

Nobody told me about the not squeezing your legs together in an effort to keep the baby inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

gbee wrote: »
    For extreme conditions a good bit usually, near flat but not so that they will come off the rims. 15PSI.

However, once clear of the snow they need to be raised again so one has to temper the necessity with the circumstances.

The snow socks should have a guide, they probably won't recommend so much pressure drop as that may interfere with the effectiveness of the sock.

Do not lower the pressure in your tyres. It will give you less grip in the snow. You need as much weight per square inch to give you maximum grip.

Snow sock are brilliant but you need to be carefull that you don't loose the back end of the car and start fishtailing, as there's an imbalance between the grip at the front and less at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah ive had a little bit of the fishtailing when i used them on more of an icy surface but it wasnt too bad...
    thanks for the links and info wife ( and her family ) in denial doesnt want to accept possibility of bad snow / bad roads... hopefully it doesnt come as heavy or bad as predicted or the ballina sligo road might miraculously miss it......
    they all think that i have a problem with driving on the roads and are all volunteering to drive.... none of them willing to accept the even slight possibility that no-one will be driving on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Joe Bastari's latest update:

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

For lovers of extreme cold there's good news and bad news.... ;)

"Winter is not over, though for the U.K. and Ireland, the coldest part (against the NORMALS) is. But look, folks, with low solar, natural oceanic cycles, and the wild card of my triple crown of cooling, volcanic activity, especially in high latitudes, my advice is to get ready for more of this in coming decades."

• Advertisement

In general,how accurate does Joe tend to be?
    Not very.
    In this season,he's already changed his mind a few times.
    He often changes as still as the models change and it's often overlooked that what he says about impending cold when it's coming is what is already known.
    So when he says cold is coming,a model somewhere has indicated this.
    We can all do that ourselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Latest from Joe

This is for the UK and Ireland. The farther southeast one goes, the more cold wins out over any mild air. However, we still can have a merry time from time to time even though pushes of maritime air make it in. One of these times, the push will be stopped and instead of drizzle and temps in the 40s, a snowy pattern will result. Winter is over, but the worst of the cold, relative to averages, is for the northwest part of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An admitance of defeat! Ha! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

redsunset wrote: »
    Latest from Joe

...Winter is over, but the worst of the cold, relative to averages, is for the northwest part of Europe.

:confused:

I think Joe needs to ease up on the turkey & ham protein shakes.

:confused:

I think Joe needs to ease up on the turkey & ham protein shakes.

Thats definately wrong,im sure he ment to type not in there because it would make sense with the whole sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so has he changed his mind about the core of the cold being on the continent from now on, or when he says the north west, does he mean scotland and northern ireland will see the wintriest weather from now on in the British Isles? :confused:

so has he changed his mind about the core of the cold being on the continent from now on, or when he says the north west, does he mean scotland and northern ireland will see the wintriest weather from now on in the British Isles? :confused:

No he's sticking to his guns,with only back and forth cold for Ireland and UK.Sure any of us could have said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think Joe was thinking of Ireland and the UK and wrote northwest instead of south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

He won't be. El Nino is forecast to decline further as the year wears on. This will have the effect of flattening out those Rossby Waves, which in turn will spur on a more zonal flow, which in turn will bring in more milder weather over Ireland.

Hope you like drizzle :)

...how wrong that was...

Now as far as winter in Europe... the forecast for more tranquility in the northwest is fine. I think we can agree we have had a thaw. We will have some winter come back later this month and in February, and that goes for much of Europe.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather

edson wrote: »
    ...how wrong that was...

well in fairness to him the last two years have torn up the rule book on what we can expect during winter. a lot of forecasters thought it was impossible for us to have a major cold period in winter 2010/11 due to a strong la nina. so considering a great many professional forecasters got it wrong about this winter we should cut some slack to paddy1. the only real reason to criticise him is the fact that he lives in a dive ike Tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

the only real reason to criticise him is the fact that he lives in a dive ike Tuam

:D:D:D

Tuam hate thread here

Glad to see you back on form Nacho :)

:D:D:D

Tuam hate thread here

Glad to see you back on form Nacho :)

Damn. Too bad the thread is locked:(

Terribletim wasn't me by the way:pac:

HOORAY.. I DO SEE SOME COLD AIR COMING BACK

Joe's latest comment from today.Well guess what Joe ,so do we and we don't get paid.:rolleyes:

Advertisement