Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ha, your recovery run sounds like my kind of recovery run! I'm off to do my 'recovery' right now after my intense session yesterday of shape throwing, with intervals of alcohol consumption thrown in and strides*

*outside to have a smoke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ncmc wrote: »
    Ha, your recovery run sounds like my kind of recovery run! I'm off to do my 'recovery' right now after my intense session yesterday of shape throwing, with intervals of alcohol consumption thrown in and strides*

*outside to have a smoke ;)

That sounds like a post marathon triathlon! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aimman wrote: »
    That sounds like a post marathon triathlon! :P

It was tough going let me tell you, but you know me, I'm never one to shy away from a challenge :)

ncmc wrote: »
    It was tough going let me tell you, but you know me, I'm never one to shy away from a challenge :)

Glad to hear it. This starts tomorrow, I got you a late entry. You can go straight to your holiday when you are finished :D:D

Monday - 5M recovery run in a girly pink top (spolis of the Frank Duffy 10M) Right knee fees a bit weird. I think the change in running technique is either putting some muscles under pressure in different wyas, or I'm doing it all wrong. Might need to work on some squats and lunges to bulid up the knees

5M in 48:08 (9:38 pace, Avg 79% MAx HR ... so not quite in the recovery zone for the whole run)

Tuesday - Gave my body more reasons to hate me. Time for 6 x 600m intervals at lunchtime

Well, when I say time for it, I mean I plucked it out of the air for todays session (as I reckoned yesterday's recovery would have me brand new today), the body managed to tell me that today was not the day for it. My times were all over the place more than Miley Cyrus at the VMA. Set the Garmin to do 6 x 600m with 90 seconds gasping for air rest.

1 2:29 - 6:41 pace
    2 2:28 - 7:04 pace
    3 2:34 - 6:54 pace
    4 2:37 - 7:03 pace
    5 2:43 - 7:17 pace
    6 2:46 - 7:27 pace >>>> thud! that was the sound of the wheels falling off.

Had 1.4M in total W/U and C/D on top of it. Rounded things off with core, floor and weights

Wednesday - 5M lunchtime run. Really should have been in the recovery zone but I don't think the bod forgave me for yesterday and messed up my HR on purpose, so just kept to a sub 9 pace
    5M in 44:34 (8:55 pace, Avg 83% Max HR)

• Advertisement

Thursday - 4.1M handy pace 37:47 (9:13 pace, Avg 78% Max HR)

Saturday - Craughwell Marathon, Inaugural marathon today, comprising of a slightly extended route of the AC's 5k loop, run 8 times. Good turnout for the start.

First half went very well, running a comfortable 9min miles to hit the first half in 2 hours. Landing on ball/mid foot comes handier now however I think the body is not fully adjusted to it yet and with the emphasis on speed, lots of squats and lunges and not getting in many longer distances, the legs started to hurt on the 14th mile with the left hammer complaining and the right knee stiffening up.

Also started to experience that sticky tacky sensation in both runners and I realised what was going on

07017593.interactive.a.jpg

Hello toes, I want to play a game. Aimman forgot to cut his toenails and now you must suffer for his negligence. You must run a marathon as fast as you can. The longer it takes you, the more the nail on the toe beside you cuts through the skin and deeper into the flesh until severing a major artery and you will bleed to death.

Also had to back off from the new running style in the 2nd half due to twinges in the back and hips. I think while I slowed down, I was skidding down onto the ball of the foot instead of dropping gracefully onto it, putting pressure on all the joints etc.

Finished out in 4:25 with a lot of hobbling afterwards.

Feet up tomorrow I think and start again on Monday. Not too bothered at the moment as I don't have any goal runs coming up, just want to get the speed back up to the 'pre ultra' training madness and take it from there.

(apologies for the massive Jigsaw. I resized it but when it was posted, it went back to full size and no idea how to fix it back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

That toenail episode gave me "Dumb & Dumber" flashbacks! Well done on another 26.2.

Monday - 4M Handy run @ 8:53 pace

Tuedsday - Another Fartleck session, starting at 30m and stretching out to 180m and back again, with warm ups and cool downs.

Wednesday - 10k at a brisker pace @ 8:28

Thursday - 5M at what should have been recovery but HR was all over the place, pace ended up at 9:15 anyway. Legs still sore from the tippy toe running. Can't wait for them to fully adjust

Friday - Legs still sore so decided to skip running and rest up

Saturday - Headed up to ParkRun this morning only to bump into Marthastew. Tried to keep up, but fell behind just before the 2nd loop and lost the plot. All the Semi-Chi running practice went out the window. Think I was holding back until the Grant Thornton on Tuesday (thats my excuse)
    5k in 23:05 (7:28 pace)

Sunday - 11M pre brekkie run at recovery HR, 9:40 pace Avg 76% Max HR

Monday - Handy 5M at lunchtime in 44:11 (8:48 pace)

Tuesday - Grant Thornton 5k. The company put in a couple of teams and was a bit of a social opportunity for us. First mile went off handy enough at 7:00 but I think I spent too much time afterwards watching the runners coming towards me so see if I could spot anyone I recognised. Got a massive shout out from MarthaStew as I passed her both times. Avioded the temptation to follow the other runners onto the path and take the short corners, much to the frustration of the Stewards. Finished in 22:56 (7:19 pace) which although it's not my fastest time, it's the fastest 5k I've run in well over a year and hopefully with the new emphasis on speed work, I'll be chipping away at that time with some parkruns (Might even enter the Rathfarnham 5k, If I'm paying for it, I'll probably try harder! lol):cool:

Wednesday - Thursday No running because of hectic work in Kilkenny and a nasty cold which I tried my best to keep at bay:(

Friday - Thought I'd better stretch the legs before the marathon. Ran a very comfortable 2M @ 8:15 pace Finished off the day with a business meeting followed by a big dinner in SABA with plenty of German beer (OK, I have a marathon the next day, but I'm not passing up on the chance for a free feed with my favourite tipple thrown in for good measure. I did make the difficult decision to get into a taxi after the restaurant and not follow the others to Cafe En Seine)

Saturday - Athlone Flatline Marathon
    OK, here comes the science bit.
    Since the Achillies injury during the 10in10, I have changed by running form and gait, half by accident and half preventative measures.For my birthday, I got a present of a book on Chi Running only to discover that I was chi running (ok, not quite. There's a lot of work left to get it right. It would be like me painting 'Starry Night' from a Painting by Numbers kit and telling everyone I could paint like Van Gough) so I've been trying to take on the different principles etc and try to keep them all in place. One part of the book describes constant PEL (Perceived Effort Level) by keeping your cadence constant and adjusting your speed through your 'lean' and stride. The recommended cadence is 85 per minute. To try and regulate my cadence, I downloaded an 85bpm click track from the net and set it up on my MP3 player to repeat and I would use my 'lean' (like a falling forward motion) to regulate the speed. Like I said, there's lots of other factors to take into account and it's only through practice and I'll keep all the eggs in one basket and make the chi running more second nature. UM1 gave me a tip to pick two of the principles I want to work on and concentrate on them only for that run to help get used to all the points. For today though, I thought I'd try to manage as much of the run as possible trying to get as many of the principles correct. Before the race started, I have the click track working away in my left ear and as the race started, I gradually started to align as many things as I could. Things were going well for the first half but by mile 15, the stomach was starting to make complaints. I think the main factor was the food and drink the night before and I was getting cramps and stitches. All I wanted to do was either burp or throw up just to get rid of the bloated sensation but unfortunately there was no offer of any fizzy drinks along the way which would have made all the difference. For the last 5 miles, the pains were getting more severe and I ended up knocking off the click track and sticking on some music because it was too uncormfortable to keep regular step. I managed to see a few of the boardies HM runners going past like Krusty, Blockic, Claralara, Digger, Mr MarthaStew and I also caught Meno casually running past in that kind of 'I don't know that marathon runner chap who is actually walking during a race, I'll look intently at that tree on the other side of the road instead' expression as he went past. I managed a few spurts of running in the last couple of miles, but all I wanted to do was yak up a belly full of Pepper Squid, Tempura Vegatable and Satay Chicken just to take the bloated sensation away. At the start of the race, I felt very comfortable and although I was planning on just sub 4, I felt like an early 3:5x was possible. I passed halfway under the 2h mark but after the Asian Fod Rebellion I was reduced to finishing the run in 4:24 yet again. Ironically, the large glass of Eirdinger at the finish line was enough to give me a good burp that settled the stomach and feeling brand new again. I also had a good bit of discomfort in the left hammer again during the 2nd half, but this didnt really affect the speed like the tummy, mind you I did complaint about it to myself frequently just to take my mind off the hurty belly.

Had some more Post race Eirdinger to wash down MarthaStew's yummy cakes while getting the lowdown on the races by Career Move, RachelJev (who must have been in SABA last night too), RunForestRun and Emer911 along with other boardsies too numerous to namedrop here.:rolleyes:

Sunday - I can definitely notice the difference in recovery rate since my weekly milage has dropped after July. This morning I felt like Bandy Ghandi walking on hot Sandi. Despite my recovery drinks yesterday, I felt like my legs were repeatedly beaten by baseball bats brandished by the long line of people who longingly wished they had an opportunity to repeatedly beat me around the legs with a baseball bat. Despite feeling sorry for myself, I gowned up, armed myself with my Garmin and put on my latest rocking tune on the MP3 player (85bmp click track) for a recovery run. Half way around, the heavens opened up, I looked like the runner up of a wet tshirt competition and more disturbingly, it was raining that heavy that I could feel water running between parts of me that I only feel during a power shower.:eek:
    4M in 38:22 (9:34 pace Avg 75% Max HR)

I think it's time to work on mid week MLRs to bump up the weekly milage to a more respectable level and try and keep to core workouts more regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hahaha I laughed at the Meno bit .... he did that to me too ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hahaha I laughed at the Meno bit .... he did that to me too ;):D

:o That's so untrue.
    I wasn't expecting to see you, and as for Aimman, I am not sure what he means. I actually stopped turned around and chatted with him for about 10 seconds. By the time I turned back around I had lost my pacee and had to bust a gut to catch back up with him.

What I learned from Aimman,s post is that we have discovered the identity of the annoying 'click cadence' guy so many on the logs have been complaining about lately :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting to see you, and as for Aimman, I am not sure what he means. I actually stopped turned around and chatted with him for about 10 seconds. By the time I turned back around I had lost my pacee and had to bust a gut to catch back up with him.

What I learned from Aimman,s post is that we have discovered the identity of the annoying 'click cadence' guy so many on the logs have been complaining about lately :pac:

In fairness you did (after I shouted out to you:D) But I left that bit out becuase this is Shock Journalism and that's what sells ;)

Is there a phamton Click Cadence runner on the loose? I'd love to find out who it is. I didn't even tell anybody yesterday what I was doing in case I got funny looks from people. I even just wore the left earphone in case the officials pulled me to one side because they'd think I was listnening to SlipKnot on full volume in both ears and that I wouldn't hear the traffic trying to get past me. I was very discrete. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice meeting you Aimman, well done on yet another marathon. That Erdinger was nice stuff. I felt like a right headbanger getting into the car with my pint of beer. Mad ba$tards the lot of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Is there a phamton Click Cadence runner on the loose? I'd love to find out who it is. I didn't even tell anybody yesterday what I was doing in case I got funny looks from people. I even just wore the left earphone in case the officials pulled me to one side because they'd think I was listnening to SlipKnot on full volume in both ears and that I wouldn't hear the traffic trying to get past me. I was very discrete. :rolleyes:
    The guy I was moaning about was with the 1:35 pacers and had his clicker in his right shorts pocket so it wasn't you... unless you had left ear transplant surgery recently.......:)

Me thinks he doth protest too much :P

Ah only rising you Meno :D You actually get the good samaritan reward for suggesting belcarra and I give our medals (which we had no value in) to two kids (which made their day because it was the same as their mum's)

slowsteady wrote: »
    The guy I was moaning about was with the 1:35 pacers and had his clicker in his right shorts pocket so it wasn't you... unless you had left ear transplant surgery recently.......:)

That would be the second worst transplant I'd want, just after have a nose transplant in the same area! :eek:
    Me thinks he doth protest too much :P

Ah only rising you Meno :D You actually get the good samaritan reward for suggesting belcarra and I give our medals (which we had no value in) to two kids (which made their day because it was the same as their mum's)

Meanwhile, Meno manages to hang onto his own medal, crafty. ;)

Meanwhile, Meno manages to hang onto his own medal, crafty. ;)

I'm getting an unwarranted bad press from you today;) I'd just like to point out I had already given mine away.
    See you tomorrow and leave your metronome clicker at home :pac:

I'm getting an unwarranted bad press from you today;) I'd just like to point out I had already given mine away.
    See you tomorrow and leave your metronome clicker at home :pac:

That will mean that the park will be all ticks and no tocks! (I'll say something nice about you in tomorrow's log. )

Hint: Bringing pastries and German beer to a training session earns brownie points in my log

(I'll say something nice about you in tomorrow's log. )

Monday - Ran with the legend aka Menoscemo for 7M around the Shire of Tymon. Brought the ticker earphone to get into the pacing habit.
    7M in 1:03 (9:00 pace, Avg 83% Max HR) Felt like I was going faster. HR was high for this too.

Tuesday - In Kilkenny working for the next few days. Ran with the legend aka blockic. Garmin couldn't get a fix on the location. For the first half hour of the run I was getting questions from my watch like
    • Are you indoors?
    • Are you more than 200km away from the last place you used your Garmin?
    • Can you give me some sort of clue as to where the f**k we are
    Eventually found out that the GPS satallite responsible for Kilkenny was Voyager, however, it got bored one day and buggered off into space on holiday sending back postcards from Jupiter, Saturn and the like. Just recently, it started to pass out of our solar system into nowhere and the poor thing thought it ended back in Kilkenny.
    Just kidding for all those Kilkennians. It's a great city that has more pubs
    than my liver could handle in a lifetime. :D

Kept the effort handy and put my life in the hands of this expert navigator winding through paths of unchartered GPS lands. 10k @ 9:10 pace.

• Advertisement

Monday - Ran with the legend aka Menoscemo for 7M around the Shire of Tymon. Brought the ticker earphone to get into the pacing habit.
    7M in 1:03 (9:00 pace, Avg 83% Max HR) Felt like I was going faster. HR was high for this too.

Well, if you had ran 9:03/mile like me the HR wouldn't have been so high. You would have had to run right up to the gate to make your 7 miles though :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

Well, if you had ran 9:03/mile like me the HR wouldn't have been so high. You would have had to run right up to the gate to make your 7 miles though :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

I hit 7M before the gate. Your Garmin is a cheap Chinese knock off made up from recycled tamagotchi toys :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I hit 7M before the gate. Your Garmin is a cheap Chinese knock off made up from recycled tamagotchi toys :P.

Thats not his garmin its his vibrator :-D

Still in Kilkenny and I got locked... :confused: Sorry, my Garmin got locked...:confused:

Take 3.... Garmin finally locked onto a signal in Kilkenny:cool:. Was planning on doing some intervals this week, but blockic invited me along to the club's 3k time trial so I guess it would be 7.5 x 400m intervals with nada rest in between. Got there early, so did a few laps solo and then when the rest arrived, did a few more laps. The plan was to try achieve 7 min miles for the duration (running flat out, but hoping to hit 7min/mile anyway). At the end of the session on the Garmin, the time was 13:26 and pace 7:01, but was aprehensive of measuring pace on a track so put the time and distance into a pace calculator to find out I was running 7:12 pace :(

Consoled myself having Italian food in a tasty restaurant next to the Castle with the most brilliant Glass Floor looking down into the massive wine cellar. Windows in the floor looking down on all those tempting bottles:eek::eek:. Like an Alcoholic's Version of Amsterdam! :pac::pac::pac: Took two bouncers to finally drag me out of the place. I was like one of those bugs bunny cartoons, trying to cut a round hole in the floor with a saw.:rolleyes:

Total for today - 4.8M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Thanks for coming along tonight Aimman and for the company last night! Hope you enjoyed your Kilkenny running experience! :D

Hope you enjoyed the Italian, as while you were eating, I was slogging it out on the ring road! :( ...:)

Thank you, come again! :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Thanks for coming along tonight Aimman and for the company last night! Hope you enjoyed your Kilkenny running experience! :D

Hope you enjoyed the Italian, as while you were eating, I was slogging it out on the ring road! :( ...:)

Thank you, come again! :pac:

Cheers for the tour. Well I have a few new routes now to do when I'm down next. I think Mick followed me back to the hotel with an application form, so I'll probably be back for a track session soon. lol.

Italian was well recommended, cheers. Advanced carbo loading for Saturday :rolleyes:

Right, have a bit of time to pick up the log again so...

Saturday 21st - Staplestown Marathon
    First East of Ireland marathon in the Kildare area. Six mile loop to be done four times after a 1.1M out and back loop at the start to make up the marathon distance. Hung onto the Chi Form for the first half and then eased back for the the remainder of the run, stopping off at the water station for the last couple of passes to grab a few jellies and drink. I was surpried how many people I passed on the last loop as the heat was building up and taking it's toll on the runners. Because the water was available only every 6 miles, I was building up a bit of a thirst on the last lap and with three miles to go, a woman pulled up in a car and handed me a bottle of water. With just over a mile to go, Another car pulled up and a woman handed me a lovely cool bottle of Lucozade Sport. Both were gladly received and the body was sponging up the fluid as soon as I was drinking it. Despite the thirst, I was running fairly well. Not fast, but somewhat consistant for the second half despite not taking any gels for the whole race.

At the end of the run (4:24, exact same as Athlone without the cramps) I discovered that there was no one driving the course with extra water for the runners. HOW BAD MUST I HAVE LOOKED IN THE LAST THREE MILES FOR TWO RANDOM PEOPLE TO HAND OUT DRINKS TO ME??!! eek.png Haha.

Enjoyed a champion feed of sambos, cakes and biscuits at the finish line.

Sunday - Feet up for Grand Prix and All Ireland.biggrin.png

Monday
    - Forgot HRM, 5M at lunchtime in 42:26 (8:29 pace)

Tuesday
    - Upped the pace this lunchtime. Should have really done an interval session, but ran 4.9M in 37:22 (7:36 pace Avg 84% MAx HR)

Wednseday
    - Felt guilty not doing any Mid Week MLRs for a while so hit Phoenix Park for 10 miles. The plan was 9 min miles, but after the first mile warming up, the pace was already up. I felt like I was running with great form. It was like all the principles of Chi Running fell into place tonight and I was running with very little effort and the breathing was very relaxed and could up the pace at will as I wanted. Even mile 7 and 10 were sub 8 min miles, so ended up being an unexpected good evening session
    10M in 1:24:18 (8:26 pace, Avg 84% Max HR) Long time since I did a 10M training run under 8:30 pace, happy days)

Thursday - 5M in 45:13 (9:06 pace, Avg 80% Max HR)

Friday
    - Was planning 4M in recovery zone, but then again, form was mostly all there so enjoyed the slightly faster running
    4M in 32,49 (8:12 pace Avg 86% Max HR)

Saturday - Was planning to do the St. Anne's PArkrun, but with a night of little sleep listening to people outside, I opted for a later start and a nearer parkrun. Started off well and tried to hold 7 min miles instead of trying to go faster, but I think with all the fater running this week, I ran out of Speedy Credit and the pace kept dropping off.
    5k in 22:45 (7:38 pace, Avg 87% Max HR)

(Ironic to think I ran a whole 5 miles on Tuesday at a faster pace then the 5k)

Never mind looking bad I think you just have a way with the wimmen ;):D

Never mind looking bad I think you just have a way with the wimmen ;):D

Now you mention it, they didn't hand the bottles to me, they were thrown at me while the car screamed away. Fine chance of one of them shaking a can of diet Coke and handing it to me. :D

• Advertisement

Sunday - Enjoying a nice relaxing morning until Ultraman1 pulls up, shoves a bag over my head, bundles me into the car and drives me out to Tallaght. Proper Love/Have style. Actually, now I think of it, you never see Anto and Nidge together at the same time.... I Wonder.....

Went for a ramble with him around Tallaght, Citywest and played with the fast traffic along a mile and half of the N7 until Anto branched off to hail a taxi do a few extra miles for his LSR.
    12M in 1:48 (9:05 pace, Avg 77% Max HR)

Monday - Nice easy 4M Lunchtime run in the Recovery zone
    4M in 35:21 (8:50 pace, Avg 73% Max HR)

Advertisement