Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

In a desperate attempt to purchase a hamburger from McD's, I was rummaging around the back of the sofa cushions and found this log wedged between an old VHS remote control and a furry square of Dairy Milk. After several attempts of CPR, I managed to bring it back to life. (The log, not the chocolate, which just needed a rub with a baby wipe and it was as good as new)

Saturday 27th Served my old runners with a 'condemned' notice and through the powers of cloning, created two new pairs of GT2160 from the Kildare 'Too Tight to Pay Full price For Old S**te' Retail Village. Black and Gold for this season :D

Waited for the rain to stop, vigorously plotted a course through dry paths avoiding puddles and mud which would greatly devalue my new bling.
    Soles of the feet were on fire at the end. Putting it down to the newness of the in-soles but some would argue I sold my sole a long time ago.
    4.6M in 43:59 (9:28 pace, Avg 78% Max HR)

Monday 29th July - 5k in 26:49 (8:39 pace, Avg 78% Max HR) Was happy to see the pace improve without feeling it

Tuesday - 3.9M in 32:38 (8:28 pace Avg 80% Max HR)

Wednesday - 5.1M (oh, longest run since 6MB :eek::eek:) 46:44 (9:08 pace, Avg 88% MAx HR)

Thursday - 5M in 44:12 (8:50 pace 78% MAx HR)

Friday - Mini Taper for the weekend :rolleyes: 3M 27:30 (9:16 pace Avg 82% Max HR)

Saturday: Howth Marathon - Marathon No. 75
    After a week long break followed by half hearted runs between 3 - 5 miles, this was going to be an interesting one. forecast was for some heavy showers. From the off I was somewhere in between 8:50 - 9 min miles but I wasn't planning on holding that pace for the whole thing, not with the hill from Sutton to Howth which had to be navigated 4 times.
    No sign of any rain, quite the opposite with plenty of sunshine and no suncream. After the first loop, I was heading back out to Sutton Cross and I felt a lot of pain in the toes of the right foot. It was like as if they were broken the pain was that sharp. I was thinking about that clicky bit by the hamstring and I got to thinking all sorts that maybe it was a trapped nerve and was getting mixed up signals from the toes. I wasn't sure about the proper medical names for which toes were hurting but according to page 1334 of the Oxford Medical Reference encyclopedia, they were as follows

The little piggy that stayed at home
    The little piggy that ate roast beef
    and the little piggy that had none.

I had to stop after 9 miles at Sutton Cross, doubting if I'd be able to carry on beyond the half way mark. I exposed the good people at Sutton Cross to the unrelishing delights of my right sock while bending my toes back and forth like a puppet show version of the Hoky Coky. After a while, the pain went away and so did I. Maybe it was just a strange cramp? Maybe the New Shoes? Maybe I needed a tablespoon of HTFU XL?

At the summit, I had to stop again and do some more toe yoga again. This carried on a few times during the run and every time I came back into Howth harbour, I'd have a auld sit down, scoff some jellies and a drink and then toddle off on my adventure. On the last lap I decided to enjoy myself more as the trauma of stop, de-shoe, stretch was getting a bit more frequent. Passing the dart station, I treated myself to a big ice cream cone and why not? :D

At Sutton Cross again I felt the need for something different so I took a wander around Superquinn (soon to be Supervalu, but the sausages will still be the same) and in there I seen her.... Amy, chilling out around the checkout counter. How could I resist? As the saying goes, once you go black, you never go back. And she had a great figure and really cool. So myself and Amy left Superquinn and I seen Ann Marie (one of the ten in ten finishers) walking some of the route, so Me and Amy (Amy and I?) decided to join her and talk about the good old days when marathons came one day after the next. Ann Marie was a bit curious about Amy so I couldn't refuse but to share Amy with Ann Marie. So there's me, Ann Marie and Amy enjoying each other's company until I couldn't go on any further and we had to let Ann Marie go ahead. Amy waited patiently while I contorted my toes again but sadly, I had no more need for Amy and I left her behind as I chased after Ann Marie who I managed to overtake with just under two miles left and enjoyed the last freefall into Howth Harbour to finish in about 4:54 in a very relaxed race just to get myself back into the long distances.

Sunday - Zilch
    Monday - Nada again
    Tuesday - Meh

Wednesday - 3.8M @ 9:07 pace ( Avg 73% Max HR)

Thursday - Decided to get back into some structured training so convinced myself to so some interval training at lunchtime, 8 x 400m with 1 min rest. I was expecting to just keep it between 7 - 7:20 pace for each interval as it has been yonks since I did any speed work long before the 10in10

After a 1M warm up, intervals went
    Time Pace
    1 1:42 6:50
    2 1:43 6:53
    3 1:36 6:25
    4 1:37 6:31
    5 1:43 6:56
    6 1:40 6:42
    7 1:41 6:45
    8 1:42 6:51

So I surprised myself and ran quicker then I had anticipated (was far from comfortable though and probably would have lost my lunch, but didn't have it yet.. Perhaps there's hope for the old guy yet! :-)

I'll leave this entry with a photo of my lovely curvy cool friend who made the Howth Marathon all the more enjoyable....

$T2eC16dHJHQFFhPkJ074BRpJtBo!CQ~~60_35.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Definitely a case of the more marathons you run, the wittier your posts become:D:D:D Keep up the good work (running and entertaining posts:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Marthastew wrote: »
    Definitely a case of the more marathons you run, the wittier your posts become:D:D:D Keep up the good work (running and entertaining posts:))

+1
    Some of the best posts (& running) ever on this log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I hppe amy ended up in a bin :-D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I hppe amy ended up in a bin :-D

Don't worry, I let her down and dumped her responsibly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Aimman wrote: »
    Don't worry, I let her down and dumped her responsibly. :D

Actually thought she was the redhead with the ice pops first :rolleyes:

Marthastew wrote: »
    +1
    Some of the best posts (& running) ever on this log.

I'm used to it by now. when I first told people I was going to start running they laughed at me. :o
    kit3 wrote: »
    Actually thought she was the redhead with the ice pops first :rolleyes:
    I should be so lucky :D. In fairness, Amy is a redhead too.

Friday - Met up with UM1 for 13 of the finest miles around Clane and the canal. Afterwards, he gave me some of his clothes to wear, made me dinner and dessert and everything. Tomorrow we're going to the cinema and on Wednesday he has us booked for a few days in a tent in Oxford. I think he's a bit of a fast mover, (actually, with a 48 hour race coming up this week, he better be) Good news is that there was no sign of the phantom toe pains.

Saturday - Handy 4 miles in da zone (the recovery one, not the one with the eyeballs out/stomach retching/"God I can't breath, I think I'm going to pass out"/impossible to hide the expression of pain from the face, zone)
    :pac: < This one
    :eek: <Not this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dont forget to pack ur marigolds:p....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dont forget to pack ur marigolds:p....

Dirty weekend, enjoy girls ;-)

Sunday - Cross dressing training today. Did the IKEA Triathlon

3 hours wandering around the shop maze
    1 hour Screwing and banging
    30 minutes sitting down with a bottle of wine staring at my wonderful erection of a now perfectly formed OMAR and LACK. Have to sort out a couple of BILLYs tomorrow.
    Anybody who pictured anything other that DIY for that section will probably hit 'thank' for this post

Monday 8x400m with 1min rest in between and some w/u and c/d running
    Despite the opportunity to be camped ringside of a running track for the next few days coming, I don't think my attempts of doing any speed work on the track would be very welcome from the shufflers doing the 6 day race, so thought I'd squeeze an interval session in today and save the other training modes for prancing around Oxford colleges pretending to be an extra from Morse or some other hob nob program set in academic England where people walk around in black square hats and batman capes.

Suffered from a bad case of wind during the session. Wind and uphills. I was in a park on a big loop and every second interval was into the wind on a slope so they were a bit slower than the others.

Lap Time Pace
    1 1:37 6:31
    2 1:45 7:03
    3 1:39 6:37
    4 1:45 7:01
    5 1:40 6:43
    6 1:43 6:55
    7 1:40 6:44
    8 1:48 7:16

Lost count of the loops. Watch told me to stop after the 1:48 lap. I thought I had another couple left. If I had known, I'd have put the effort in and gone iballs out.

Well, it looks like Redrunner either doesn't read spoilers, or has a dirty mind :D

Tuesday - 4.1M in 35:32 (8:40 pace) Probably should have been at recovery pace after the intervals yesterday. Got twinges of clicky hammer on the right leg and tighty hammer on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well, it looks like Redrunner either doesn't read spoilers, or has a dirty mind :D

Ha Ha....I didnt read it as it happens but I still would have thanked it cos I thought it was funny!:D..... so it seems both.

Speaking of DIY..Having problems with my own Hammers too....... see what I did there?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Ha Ha....I didnt read it as it happens but I still would have thanked it cos I thought it was funny!:D..... so it seems both.

Speaking of DIY..Having problems with my own Hammers too....... see what I did there?

Sorry, I didn't have time to colour it in......

Whats up with the hammers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry, I didn't have time to colour it in......

Whats up with the hammers?

Ha Ha very good:)....If I had a hammer....that stayed injury free...in fact if I had two hammers that stayed injury free Id be a happy man.

Ah It's a long story just been trying hard to shake a recent hamstring injury is all. I've lower back issues and sore hip flexor to boot. Bottomline is I need to be more vigilant with the core work and stretching and slow my easy runs down. Hoping to be back running soon.

Unfortunately, because of the large volume of running taking place in Radley last week, the allowable daily mileage limit was overwhelmingly exceeded so I was barred from breaking into anything more than a gayful skip alongside the dormitories and cricket pitches dressed in academic regalia shouting 'I say, I'm gobsmacked! jolly good shot old chap'. But last weekend, what happened in Oxford, stayed in Oxford. I believe Slane however, was a different kettle of hashtags but still had people saying 'I say, I'm gobsmacked! jolly good shot old chap' cool.png

Monday - 5 miles along the canal at lunchtime. Think people must be training for something, there were a few new red sweaty faces on the tow path
    5M in 43:32 (8:42 pace Avg 82% Max HR)

Tuesday Lunchtime : Speed work time again but decided to dig something out from the past. It's ages since I'd have a good Fartlek!

Fartlek sounds irresistibly funny, but not as funny as Diggers close s**tlake he almost encountered today during his training.eek.png

1.1M warm up to the canal.
    Used the lampposts which were 30M apart as the markers for the runs and although I had planned just five sprints out, I was feeling happy out and stretched it out to 6 distances. So similar to pyramid intervals, I 'iballed' out and jogged back in increasing distances 30M, 60M, 90M all the way out to 180M then in decreasing distances 150M, 120M back down to 30M.

I decided to go back to Fartlek today because unlike the usual intervals I do, I thought that the varying distances would give me the opportunity to run hell for leather for the small distances and see if I can maintain it somewhat as the distance stretches out. End of a long story, the pace was maintained between 4:45 and 5:30 for the sections, but I reckon some of them are not all that accurate due to the watch just settling in by the time the distance is reached, but was a good result and hopefully something that pays off in the future. I'll do this session again .

1.6M cool down afterwards

Tuesday Evening 7M with lots of long drags and some sharp hills thrown into the mix, as if one hard session today was not enough. Was keeping the miles between 8:43 to 8:30 until I ducked into some forest trails and reckon I lost the satellites in the trees for a couple of miles as the pace jumped all over the place (int he wrong direction I might addmad.png). Reckon I ran more than 7M in the time, but I'll take it as it is. (cos I'm good like that rolleyes.png)

7M in 1:04:25 (9:15 pace Avg 83% Max HR)

11.3M for the day and rounded off the last session with some weights, floor and core work. Think I've been neglecting everything above the hips for a while, time for a tune up.

Meant to mention that by the time I hit my longest part of Fartlek yesterday, on the jog back to the start, a guy came past on a bike and said 'fair play to you' and offered me a drink of water. Fair Play to him! Nice chap

Wednesday - Forgot the runners at lunchtime which was a bonus because the legs were phuked from yesterday. Had to wait till evening to bang out 5M at what should have been at recovery rate but the internal rhythm section was going like 90 for most of the run before it finally settled down. Even got abuse from Ultraman1 as he drove past me becuase I was that slow

5M in somewhere just less than 50min, but on a good note :confused::confused::o:rolleyes::eek:... ah, there is none, but it's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

On to more important matters, you need a new witty log title.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

blockic wrote: »

Sorry, I thought you said sub 3:30!
    Make it happen Eamo! ;)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

I'm open to suggestions, but you gotta find me a goal to go with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

........a sub 5:xx mile.

Move to the opposite scale and focus on the short stuff for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm open to suggestions, but you gotta find me a goal to go with it :D
    It can only be "Sorry, I thought you said a 48 hour race"

You know it's going to happen Aimman, don't fight it :pac:

I THOUGHT YOU SAID 1000 MILES AROUND A GREEK CAR PARK...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Nice entry fee :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pistol_75 wrote: »

Imagine that goody bag!!:D

pistol_75 wrote: »

3 meals a day cost money,,,and dey have never seen eammo wolf down a svlaki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

belcarra wrote: »
    Imagine that goody bag!!:D

6 pack of tayto at least I'd say.

Well, there you have it, my log is being lurked by sadistic people ready to pounce with suggestions on making my life hell for other's amusement.......

;)Nice One

Now I know how Jillian 'Let's show the public your poo' McKeever felt in the jungle when everybody voted her every day for the bush tucker trial.
    belcarra wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought you said sub 3:30!
    Make it happen Eamo! ;)

Jasus Belcarra, tried that twice already. Think maybe I need to get the 100 marathons out of the way first. :rolleyes:
    ........a sub 5:xx mile.

Move to the opposite scale and focus on the short stuff for a few weeks.

I like your thinking, but maybe I should try to knock out a 6:xx mile first :p
    ncmc wrote: »
    It can only be "Sorry, I thought you said a 48 hour race"

You know it's going to happen Aimman, don't fight it :pac:

Might be a runner N. (excuse the pun) but I'd be under pressure from Ultraman1 for a 2 day smackdown. (plus I've seen him knock out a good sprint at the end of a 48h slog. :eek:)
    Anto, it's very tempting right now, but if they has the race starting on 1st January, I'd be in like Flynn and be the first to hit the 1000M challenge! And also, you'd have to take over my duty of sitting in the pissing of rain until 4am drinking beer each night by a track that was so dark, I couldn't tell if you were still on the track until you had gone past! :D

• Advertisement

Long work day traveling, so no running on Thursday

Friday : Lunchtime run in the p**sing rain. It was that ultra fine yucky 'Soft Day Thank God' type of rain that would penetrate triple glazed windows. Thought it would be worth upping the pace for this one. Worked on emphasising landing on the ball of the foot and improving the spring off. Worked out beautifully in my mind, but I reckon in reality to the unwitting observer, I looked like a triple jump athlete practicing in wooden clogs. Happy with the overall pace though
    5k in 23:37 (7:36 pace, Avg 85% Max HR)

Saturday
    - Had planned a Recovery Run today after the faster run yesterday, however, following a night of luxury in a hotel with tonnes of yummy deep fried and fatty food, washed down with lots of beer and wine, My definition of Recovery Run changed to
    'Recovery Run - Horizontal positioning on a nice comfy sofa with intervals of sleep interspersed with bursts of comfort food and fizzy drinks.'

Sunday - Reckon that with the marathon looming next Saturday, I better actually try to get a run into double digits. Had two targets for today

1: Run a half marathon distance with the overall pace under 9 min miles
    and if possible
    2: Run each mile split under nine minutes.

Everything was going well for the first 9 miles, but on the 10th mile, I had the long drag from Chaplizord bridge to the Shell garage on the N4. Up to now, all the miles were well under 9:00 but had to push up the hill to make it 10M which took a bit more out of me. By the time I hit 10M the overall pace was 8:48 pace. There were still some hills to overcome in the next two miles, so I ended up with those miles being my slowest, but put the foot down again for the last mile to get it under 9:00
    13.1M in 1:57 (8:56 pace, 81% Max HR) Happy with the time considering I'm just getting back into working on the speed.

0.5M slow cool down jog to finish.

38M for the week which is better than I thought it would be, but missed out on two running days.

Advertisement