Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You're flying Eamonn! You sound in such a positive and upbeat frame of mind, long may it continue :) I'm loving the beer as part of the recovery plan, think I'll be taking that advice on board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done Aimman. I see you are taking my advice of runing each one 15 minutes faster than the last. By my calculations you'll break the Irish record on the final one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Eamonn getting quicker every night. Im on the verge off pulling out. DRAMA !!!!!!!
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Eamonn getting quicker every night. Im on the verge off pulling out. DRAMA !!!!!!!

You better hope some of the usual culprits done get a hold of that post!

Race report tomorrow, but time to hit the hay tonight (Frank has me locked in a barn) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Oisin11178 wrote: »

When you didn't at half way today you won't in the morning. See u monday evening in your manchini :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done eammo...
    Aimman wrote: »
    The run up to the race was generally slothing around doing as little as possible.
    mice to see ur not changing ur work routine:p

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done eammo...

mice to see ur not changing ur work routine:p

Cheers Anto

The only work I have to do is cleaning up after Frank. I'll have him domesticated before he goes back. ;)

Another lazy start, up at 8 for the porridge and coffee and back to the bed to surf the net and keep the legs relaxed. Up at 11 for peanut butter on toast and more coffee before Frank surfaces. Johnny headed off early to make the 12pm start.

At 2pm we were lined up again, but one less than yesterday as another runner (RuningCoach) had to pull out through injury. Now we're down to 21.

I had Zero salt tablets in a little tube and I thought I'd keep them in it as I had nothing to wrap a couple in. Ger O'Brien also gave me a salt capsule and I planned to take it at mile 6. Because it was very warm, I wanted to make sure I was topping up the salt. I had also intended to start off easy and just finish comfortably because of the heat.

No niggles at the start and the pace went quite handy. groups seem to thin out a bit quicker now and you'd be lucky to see three people running together.

6 miles and time for the salt capsule. I popped open the tube and tilted it only to find that the three salt tablets were pounded to dust from all the shaking and I ended up with half of it on my sticky hand. Luckily there was no one around to see me frantically licking the dust off my hand like a kid getting the most out of his packet of sherbert dip!

Approaching mile nine, I felt in great form. I was overtaking people who were finishing ahead of me for the last couple of days. Obvious sign that I was going faster than planned, but the body felt great and I was in a comfortable running rhythm that didn't seem to exert much energy so I decided to just keep with the flow. At the mile 9 water station I had a gel and passed Frank who was negotiating a drink of isotonic on a dodgy stomach.

At mile 10, I was passing Denzel and met a surprised looking RunningCoach who told me I was well up the field. Still feeling great at this point, so I thought I'd keep it going until I could feel the pace drop off, but at the same time, I wasn't pushing myself at a silly speed.

Passed Halfway in 2:02, 7 minutes quicker than yesterday and 13 minutes quicker than Day 1. I did the customary maths of doubling it and adding ten minutes as a guide to the best I could get out of this but doubted if I'd be anywhere near 4:14 because the pace could drop off at any time. I stopped at the car to pick up the MP3 player and a bottle of Lucozade which had a salt tablet already in it. Just around the corner, the chairman of the UK 100 Marathon club, Roger Biggs was standing outside a shop just unwrapping a Magnum (the ice cream ;)) and casually nodded to Steve Gibson up ahead and said 'you can take him' All I was thinking was 'I can take your Magnum'! but still went on to pass Steve a couple of hundred yards up the hill.

I had passed Shane McCarville just after the 10M point and had him tagging on not too far behind me since. When I got the the 16M water station, I took another gel and just poured the remainder of the 'salt dust' into the lucozade, topped it up with some water and got going again. By mile 17 I realised that I was now running to keep Shane behind me, not because I wanted to and the effort was starting to take it's toll on me. It was time to get back to reality, so I slowed to a walk and let Shane pass. Right, the pressure was off. Back to running sensibly because the sun had come out again and things were heating up once more.

At each water station I was topping up the lucozade with water. Although I was diluting it, it wasn't going to run out too quickly and I'd be getting some regular intake of salts. Along the remainder of the course, cars were pulling up offering water and coke which went down a treat. At the 23M mark, I had a pitstop only to discover that despite the large quantities of water, Lucozade and coke I was taking on board, I was still quite dehydrated. Nevertheless, it wasn't affecting my running. I now had Denzel gaining behind me and with 3 miles left, I was damned if I was going to let another person pass by (The auld competitive streak was kicking in). There is a bit of a sly hill from 23 to 25 and as I kept running, I could see the gap increasing so I was happy out.

Another bottle of Coke at 25M and I was ready for the winding road back to the town. I knew the course was 26.4M so there was no point in looking at the watch and trying to guestimate the finish. When I approached the finish gantry, I was shocked to see I was coming in at 4:16. It gave me a great boost and celebrated again with the jump over the line.

Again, the first priority was to get a protein shake and straight to the massage table. She found a few knots that weren't giving me any trouble but worked on them to make sure they wouldn't.

Day three was a big success. A lot better than I was expecting, but I'm not even halfway, A lot can still happen but still thinking positive. Plenty of R&R yesterday evening with the other guys.

Let's see what today brings....:D So far it has brought a few clouds which is excellent!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

26.4M in 4:16 (9:44 pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff eammo!!
    Are those salt capsules the ones like an Antibiotic? If so; I think you are supposed to swallow them whole and not open them up...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great stuff eammo!!
    Are those salt capsules the ones like an Antibiotic? If so; I think you are supposed to swallow them whole and not open them up...

Yeah, thats the one, and I did take that one whole, but it was in with the other dis-solvable round Zero tablets which were bashed into powder which went all over my hand when I went to tip out the capsule. I wasn't going to waste the powder, so I did a licky licky job on my hands and fingers!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good stuff Aimman :) The running is getting better every day as well as the race reports :D

Keep up the good work you lunatic ;)

At the rate you're going, Meno could be right about the PB on day 10! I was thinking of you guys this morning, was out at 7:30 (yes me, at 7:30am!) and it was roasting at that time and I struggled through 10 miles, so I really feel for you running 26 miles in that heat. Bet you'll be glad to get back to the 5pm start tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Good stuff Aimman :) The running is getting better every day as well as the race reports :D

Keep up the good work you lunatic ;)

Yep, everything that K says! Ya lunatic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fantastic stuff Aimman. great reading and running!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done Aimman, get plenty salts into ya in this heat!!:eek:

Marathon 68 - Day 4 of the 10in10

Warm one today, we were warned from early on. I had no salts since I snorted all the Zero powder yesterday and there was feck all chance of finding a sports shop open in Limerick before 12 on a Sunday.

All going well, I was going to take it handy and not overdo it in the hot weather. Only problem is that the morning started off cloudy and I thought we were going to get away with it. Just as the race started, the clouds disappeared leaving me in a black tee shirt with no sun cream. This should be fun.

Legs were feeling very fresh and ran the first few hundred meters with ThomasB before thinking I'd save running a race with him until later in the week :o

For the first 9 miles, I was doing just under 9 min miles and the possibility of a 4:10 finish but I had to stop and talk to the official there about something that was happening back at the 8 mile mark and I got a sense of the heat for the first time. Found it hard then to build back up the speed and had to settle with around 9:30 pace for a while. Coming into the 12M marker, I got a pack of snax off one of the Clonakilty gang for the salts and milled into them like the cookie monster. Passing halfway at 2:04, I grabbed the Lucozade Sport and pocket full of jellies. The heat was really building up now and seemed madness to keep it up for the 2nd half. The remainder of the race generally involved running about 10 min pace and walking some of the hilly sections, tucking into the shaded areas where possible and stopping for a chat to some of the walking people, mates manning the water stations and an old woman carrying a bunch of flowers asking all about the race. Highlight was just before mile 22 when Bob Hilliard handed out a Mr. Freeze to me and I walked for a bit and enjoyed every bit of it.

Coming into the last couple of miles, I could feel the temperature starting to drop and the pace was picking up comfortably and just as the last mile started, the theme for Rocky started on the MP3 player which resulted in running the last mile in 8:44

Crossed the line in 4:34. Very happy with the result. Ended up playing it safe in the heat without taking too much from the legs.

I think in the heat, I might need to forgo the Day 5 fancy dress option, it wouldn't be worth it. Forecast is for 27 degrees.

26.4M in 4:34 (10:22 pace)

20 left now for the whole 10in10

• Registered Users Posts: 4 charlie933

Best of luck to yea ran three of the 10 in 10 at the weekend back at work today would love to have stayed and ran the rest. My mate(the crow) is running all 10 still in good shape don,t forget the sun factor enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck for the rest of the week. I'm in West Clare for this week and the heat today was fairly intense - was thinking about ye !

261821.jpg

Day 5, the Medals so far.
    Warm one today. On top of that, the Right Achilles was a bit swollen and was sore to go up and down stairs unless I kept the foot flat. Turned out to be a bit of tendonitis, but should be manageable once I do some warm up stretches.

Plan today was to again, take it easy in the heat. I had the singlet and baseball cap on ready to battle the heat, compression socks for the calves. During the first mile, the heel/Achilles was giving warning pains but I kept the pace at 10 min miles just to get started. At mile 3 it was time for the Ibuprofen which would need a bit of time to kick in, but as soon as I started running again, it felt ok. The tablets didn't wok that quick, I think the calf had just warmed up by then. What happened after that was a bizzare series of events to turn a marathon into a holiday. Along the way, there was lots of water, coke, orange, sweets and ice pops being handed out. How could I refuse? I decided to walk along the sections where I got some goodies and relax in the heat. Today would be my break from running a marathon. Salt tablet at 6 followed by a Caprisun and just before mile 9, I thought I fell asleep and slipped into a fantasy. Here before me was a lovely tall long legged scantly clad red head offering me a Cornetto. didn't get much better than that :D

a few bottles of coke / orange and a gel later, I was passing half way at 2:19 and was very happy with a 5 hour finish in the conditions and the feast of food. That was the last time I looked at the watch before the end. Each day is getting very much like the one before, there were no surprises or difficult spots. Because the sun was starting to descend, the shadows were longer and there was more areas of shade to run along, coupled with a drop in temperature. At this point, the speed started to creep back up without me realising it. At mile 24 I looked around and seen Shane McCarville in the distance and put the frighteners on myself that after holding position for practically all the race, I could lose it in the next 20 minutes and took off like a bolt making the last two miles in 9:04 and 8:50. As I approached the finish line I was shocked to see I was finishing in 4:44 despite convincing myself that it would be a 5h+ time. I was delighted, having enjoyed the day, taking it easy and not putting in too much effort and eating junk along the way to the point that I only had one gel during the day, there was enough sugars and carbs in the other stuff I was devouring.

So that was Day 5. so far the only thing to worry about is the Achilles, but with lots of ice, rest and tlc in between races, it should hold out until the end.

Hotter even still for Day 6, lets see what happens :D

26.4 in 4:44 (10:45 pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Very artistic Aimman :) you are nuts. Tough going in that heat. Keep her lit ....... Or maybe I should say keep her cool in this weather!
    Aimman wrote: »
    261821.jpg

Day 5, the Medals so far.
    Warm one today. On top of that, the Right Achilles was a bit swollen and was sore to go up and down stairs unless I kept the foot flat. Turned out to be a bit of tendonitis, but should be manageable once I do some warm up stretches.

Plan today was to again, take it easy in the heat. I had the singlet and baseball cap on ready to battle the heat, compression socks for the calves. During the first mile, the heel/Achilles was giving warning pains but I kept the pace at 10 min miles just to get started. At mile 3 it was time for the Ibuprofen which would need a bit of time to kick in, but as soon as I started running again, it felt ok. The tablets didn't wok that quick, I think the calf had just warmed up by then. What happened after that was a bizzare series of events to turn a marathon into a holiday. Along the way, there was lots of water, coke, orange, sweets and ice pops being handed out. How could I refuse? I decided to walk along the sections where I got some goodies and relax in the heat. Today would be my break from running a marathon. Salt tablet at 6 followed by a Caprisun and just before mile 9, I thought I fell asleep and slipped into a fantasy. Here before me was a lovely tall long legged scantly clad red head offering me a Cornetto. didn't get much better than that :D

a few bottles of coke / orange and a gel later, I was passing half way at 2:19 and was very happy with a 5 hour finish in the conditions and the feast of food. That was the last time I looked at the watch before the end. Each day is getting very much like the one before, there were no surprises or difficult spots. Because the sun was starting to descend, the shadows were longer and there was more areas of shade to run along, coupled with a drop in temperature. At this point, the speed started to creep back up without me realising it. At mile 24 I looked around and seen Shane McCarville in the distance and put the frighteners on myself that after holding position for practically all the race, I could lose it in the next 20 minutes and took off like a bolt making the last two miles in 9:04 and 8:50. As I approached the finish line I was shocked to see I was finishing in 4:44 despite convincing myself that it would be a 5h+ time. I was delighted, having enjoyed the day, taking it easy and not putting in too much effort and eating junk along the way to the point that I only had one gel during the day, there was enough sugars and carbs in the other stuff I was devouring.

So that was Day 5. so far the only thing to worry about is the Achilles, but with lots of ice, rest and tlc in between races, it should hold out until the end.

Hotter even still for Day 6, lets see what happens :D

26.4 in 4:44 (10:45 pace)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I just failed to complete a single track session in this heat, what you guys are doing is nothing short of amazing [and ****ing nuts, in equal measure :)]

TRR wrote: »
    Very artistic Aimman :)

Cheers, Lots of spare time doing nothing in between races. ;)

These reports are getting harder to write, basically because all the days are starting to blend in and get mixed up. There's things I'll remember on course, but by the time we get back and have something to eat (and a beer or two) it's too late to start writing. The next morning, it's all gone out of the head, so bear with me and I'll do my best to remember what happened yesterday...

oh yeah..... it f**king hurt

Did my best to rest up the right foot, treating it to an ice pack and difene but the heel just wasn't the best. Only thing I could hope for is some stretches before the race and then Ibuprofen at the 3M water start like yesterday.

Once the race started, I was moving at 10 min miles and it was very uncomfortable. I ran alongside Johnny and Frank until the 3 mile station but there was no sign of the heel relaxing. Once the painkillers were taken, I decided to walk a good bit of the next mile to give the tablets time to kick in, must have got my medication mixed up with mint sweets, nothing was happening. To make matters worse, the transition from walking to running only aggravated the heel which didn't help motivated me to speed it up a bit. within the first 6 miles and the first time in the six days I was looking at the possibility of having a very agonizing and long day today and a bleak prospect of lining up at the start tomorrow. I was cursing myself. The legs felt great. I've been so surprised how they've held up over the last few days. Mentally, I was enjoying the races and never had a 'never again' moment at any point. The one thing that was threatening this event was a small rubbery bit of tissue.

Around the mile 6 mark, Richie the Race Director pulled up along side me and I told him about the heel. He said that I might just need a 'heel lift' to raise the right heel slightly to stop the calf and tendon overstretching. At that point I would have worn 6 inch stilettos to raise the heel if I thought it would help. For the next 3 miles I was forcing my right foot to land as flat as possible in an attempt to take some of the strain off the tendon which worked quite well, but I knew that I was only shifting the strain and stress to another part of the body and I'd soon find out where. I had to walk up the inclines because I found it impossible to land flat foot comfortably without stretching the tendon. Just after mile 9, Richie appeared again with a couple of bits of cardboard and used his McGuiver skills to assemble a home made heel lift. I got going again and could feel the difference but it wasn't enough to keep me running all the time.

I crossed the halfway point at 2:38 and was disheartened to see that the timing clock was not there, but was already in position at the finish line with the gantry. I knew it was going to be a long time before I go under it again. Time for an experiment, so I grabbed some more cardboard at the clubhouse and packed up the heel higher. Stopped at the car to pick up a Lucozade Sport and get the MP3 set up for a long evening. Just as well I had massively long playlists to listen to.

After halfway, there is a small loop of the town before heading back out to the large loop. When I completed it and came to the halfway point that the guys were taking the times, they were already gone, meaning that while I was practicing my origami on Heel lifts, everyone had passed me and I was now the back marker, could this day get any better? Oh, Did I mention it was the hottest day of the year once again?

With the extra padding at halfway, it made a more noticeable improvement on the heel and I was able to run a bit more often and tackle the hills a tad more comfortable. I wasn't thinking about dropping out today, never crossed my mind. The only thing I was worried about was the possibility of spending over 6 hours on the course. Regardless, I was doing more running than I expected, put just at a slow pace. It was a matter of ignoring the pain and hope it doesn't get worse.

Fast forward to just after mile 18, There has been a guy standing outside his house every day offering water, jellies and fruit. He asked me how I was getting on and I told him about the heel and showed him the ankle which was now the size of a tennis ball. He gave me a freezing cream and a spray of Bio-Freeze which felt lovely when it finally kicked in.

After mile 19, the pain had dissipated a bit and I was able to maintain a slow running pace without any walking. I hadn't realised until much later that I was gradually speeding up as each mile passed. With 4 miles to go, I had passed two of the guys that started the race with me and two others that took the early start option.

Mile 23 and I was running with comfort. I can't explain it, but the pain was gone. I reckon it just gave up and stopped complaining. Between mile 23 and 25 there is a sneaky incline but I really felt great and was more confident in pushing out the pace, but not too much to do any silly injury.

Mile 23, back to 10:22 pace, Mile 24, 10:37 with the incline, Mile 25 - 10:21 and then miles 26 - 9:57. I was like a new man taking the last turn into the town for the final 0.2 stretch and managed the jump at the finish line.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I seen the final time, 5:09. I had to laugh, This was my slowest marathon ever and it's the first time I got a negative split, all with an injury thrown in.

The last section really made the day for me and the first priority was to get the foot into the ice bath into the club house.

Since the race, I have kept the ankle on ice when possible and I also have a compression support strap which only comes off when the ice is going on. The swelling has gone down. I was getting funny looks in the club house after the race, with my grapefruit sized ankle and risking a jump at the finish.

I bought silicon heel lifts in the town today, along with Deep Freeze spray which I'll put on the ankle just before the race tarts, and then leave in the car for halfway. there is a lot more flexibility in the ankle today, but I won't know how it will hold out until I start running on it, so fingers crossed for 5pm today. Another hot day out. :rolleyes:

26.5M in 5:09 (11:42 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Take it easy out there today E! And stop doing 'The Dargan' on a dodgy ankle - it's just asking for trouble!

PS what's the deal with your 24.5M marathon?? I reckon that rules you out of the 10 in 10!!
    (I'm expecting that was a typo?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck Aimman hope the heel doesn't give you too much grief today :)

Btw you're getting crazier every day ;)

You poor thing, that sounds so painful and dispiriting. You're doing great though, a lot of people would be happy with that time on a single marathon with no injury! I can't imagine running in that heat, so kudos for sticking at it and keeping so upbeat. Just four more to go - sure that's only 105 miles - not a bother to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Wow, what are the chances of this freak weather during this marathon of marathons.

Looking forward to the next 4 reports. Hope the niggles hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^^+1 to that. I'm in awe of what you guys are doing , especially in this weather.

What's next...Marathon Des Sables?

belcarra wrote: »
    PS what's the deal with your 24.5M marathon?? I reckon that rules you out of the 10 in 10!!
    (I'm expecting that was a typo?)

Was just checking you were paying attention John ;)
    Good luck Aimman hope the heel doesn't give you too much grief today :)

Btw you're getting crazier every day ;)

In this heat, it's a case of Mad Dogs and Englishmen..... woof
    ncmc wrote: »
    You poor thing, that sounds so painful and dispiriting. You're doing great though, a lot of people would be happy with that time on a single marathon with no injury! I can't imagine running in that heat, so kudos for sticking at it and keeping so upbeat. Just four more to go - sure that's only 105 miles - not a bother to you!

105 miles? I'll have to make up a few extra miles somewhere :D
    Wow, what are the chances of this freak weather during this marathon of marathons.

Looking forward to the next 4 reports. Hope the niggles hold up.

Hot weather already seen one more person pull out today. What a time for Ireland to get its share of Global Warming. :rolleyes:
    RedRunner wrote: »

What's next...Marathon Des Sables?
    Nah, too cool and short now after the last 7 days. :P

• Advertisement

Day 7
    Heel was treated like royalty before the race. Ice, Compression, Rest, Elevation, Difene and Freeze Spray.

there wasn't really much pain from it and I was hoping it would stay asleep for as long as possible. Fitted the Heel Rise in the right shoe and it was comfortable.

From the offset, the pace was kept to a handy steady 10 min miles and I was happy with even slowing it down to 10:20 if I had to. A few of the miles in the first half went by around 9:30 and the heel felt great. Looks like I was in for a good day.

I also took the decision to just stick with water, salts and the odd coke around the route. I didn't want to overload myself on ice creams and Mr. Freeze pops all day.

At mile 5, I seen the first marathon runner drop out. Just a day participant, but I think between the heat and a leg injury, he took the opportunity to bale when a crew car pulled up.

Just before mile 9, I did get a loop the loop from the tall redhead again (that's not a euphemism) which freshened me up in the heat. Passing Mile 10, I took a gel and small coke, but between having difficulty opening the gel packet which ozzed goo all over my hands, then trying to de-fizz the coke which went straight up my nose, I looked like an episode fo Mr. Bean Goes Running. Had to douse myself with a bottle of water to wash away all the sugars before I had a swarm of wasps following me.

Passed the halfway mark in 2:11 and stopped at the car for a quick spray of Deep Freeze on the ankle and pick up a Lucozade Sport. Also met Dave Brady to decided to pull out of the 10in10 today for various reasons.

During the 2nd half, I could feel the Achilles starting to wake from it's slumber and at the 16M water station I had to take some Ibuprofen to gently persuade it back to sleep. Until the tablets kicked in, I had to walk the inclines a bit just to avoid the discomfort.

At the pace I was tipping along at, I didn't need any more gels, but I did take advantage of the water stations, even if the water and coke were just a couple of degrees below boiling. Maybe today, I'll bring a teabag to drop into a bottle for a nice mid race brew. Not sure the jaffa cakes would last in the pockets though and I wont even imagine what state a Crunchie would be in.

The temperatures in the 2nd half were dropping nicely and I didnt have the need to take on as much fluid. I was able to wait until the next water station and not take water from the cars going past.

With 4 miles left to go, I passed a very happy Italian, Paulo who was running his 100th marathon today.

within the last few miles, the pace was in the mid 10s and the heel was comfortable. Looks like today was a good day. Crossed the line in 4:37 and still managed to get the jump in the photo (and today, the streetlights were not on for the picture)

Time to rest up now and get ready for Race No. 8. Hope some of the clouds are being send from the other counties to give us a bit of shade.:D

26.4M in 4:37 (10:30 pace)

Advertisement