Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People from Northern Ireland are not British!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Under the consitution of Ireland, anyone from the 6 counties is Irish.

Under the Bristish constitution, I presume anyone from the 6 counties is British.

They are entitled to either an Irish or British passport.

I'd say they're both. Or that they are whatever is stamped on their passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

sdonn wrote: »

Under the Bristish constitution, I presume anyone from the 6 counties is British.

They are both entitled to an Irish or British passport, in my understanding?

I'd say they're both.

Yes, post Good Friday Agreement people from the 6 Counties are entitled to an Irish passport, a British passport, or both. The lucky devils.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    Yes, post Good Friday Agreement people from the 6 Counties are entitled to an Irish passport, a British passport, or both. The lucky devils.;)
    it would be ever better if all the UK and irish peoples could be entitled to be able to claim irish or brit passports

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

getz wrote: »
    it would be ever better if all the UK and irish peoples could be entitled to be able to claim irish or brit passports

What about just a European passport? Will we eventually see something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

sdonn wrote: »

They are entitled to either an Irish or British passport.

I'd say they're both. Or that they are whatever is stamped on their passport.

There is no British constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

well they arn't in the uk if it weren't for nationalists moaning they wouldn't be aloud an irish passport either, as they arn't living in the republic of ireland

karma_ wrote: »
    What about just a European passport? Will we eventually see something like that?

I'm not getting that anyway!!:eek::eek:

owenc wrote: »
    well they arn't in the uk if it weren't for nationalists moaning they wouldn't be aloud an irish passport either, as they arn't living in the republic of ireland

You might get a better response sometimes owen if your posts didn't come across so argumentative.

Besides that your wrong, it was always possible for those in NI to get Irish passports, before even the GFA.

You might get a better response sometimes owen if your posts didn't come across so argumentative.

Besides that your wrong, it was always possible for those in NI to get Irish passports, before even the GFA.

Yes but if nationalists didn't moan then you wouldn't be aloud an irish passport, in that case scottish people should be aloud an scottish passport.

And that was the crux of the issue - you do not need to live in the south to be Irish. If you are born anywhere on this Island - you have the right to be Irish. Their gripe was valid. I've no doubt that if you were refused the right to hold a British passport, then your "moaning" as you put it - would be perfectly reasonable in your eyes.

I feel like I'm arguing with a 12 year old sometimes with you. You lack any basic understanding of the situation.

• Advertisement

Yes but if nationalists didn't moan then you wouldn't be aloud an irish passport, in that case scottish people should be aloud an scottish passport.

There is no independent Scotland in fairness, where there I would suspect something along similar lines would exist. Would you really want to force all the folk in NI to choose to be British or else, or would you afford them the same privilege of being able to decide as you yourself expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

.that is their intention,www.eutruth.org.uk but to be honest at this moment there is more chance of the EU letting the non paying their way countries go, than getting any political ideals

.that is their intention,www.eutruth.org.uk but to be honest at this moment there is more chance of the EU letting the non paying their way countries go, than getting any political ideals

very few people will get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    Is there any other people apart from a certain backward segment of Northern Unionists who insist that they are nothing but British?

Please see post #107

Ian Paisley once said

"I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman."

Winty wrote: »
    Please see post #107

Ian Paisley once said

To be fair to big Ian he mellowed out big time in the last few years.

Please see post #107

Ian Paisley once said

I don't mean to be rude but are you people going to use that phrase everyday!!

So do you denounce that you are Irish? People from England have no problem in calling themselves English. Scotland, Scottish. Wales, Welsh. So why can you not call yourself Irish? I mean, if the hardlined Mr. Ulster says No can call himself Irish - then surely there is hope for OwenC.

Maybe a better question would be to ask what it is about Irishness you find so offensive?

Believe me when I tell you this, but there may come a time in a few years when you have grown up a bit and your travelling around the world that you might find being Irish has plenty of benefits.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

OK

I just think it ends the debate, If a man like Paisley see's himself as Irish !!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Please see post #107

Ian Paisley once said

I'm very familiar with that quote. But how does it contradict anything I said?

We know for a fact that "I'm British and that's all" Unionists exist, in fact I was responding to one in this very thread who said that very thing.

Historically Unionists identified very much as Irish. As I said, it was the ascendancy of Irish Nationalism that gave rise to the reactionary element of Northern Unionists that reject any notion that they are Irish. To be clear, it's their right to do so, just as it is our right to point out how ridicules they appear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Im amazed this thread has gone on as long as it has....pat kenny??? who cares what he says.

Im a northy by the way and i class myself as irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

dlofnep wrote: »
    There is no British constitution.

There's a doctrine - it was referred to endlessly during the recent elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Im amazed this thread has gone on as long as it has....pat kenny??? who cares what he says.

The length of the thread has been helped enormously by posters popping in tell others that they no interest in the topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

To be fair to big Ian he mellowed out big time in the last few years.

That quote was, apparently, recorded in the Sunday Life newspaper on 23rd June 1991, page 12: http://1169andcounting.blogspot.com/2003_04_27_archive.html

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    The length of the thread has been helped enormously by posters popping in tell others that they no interest in the topic.

hehe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

Twice...oh damn.

Damn you PK>>>

- Ian Paisley, June 1991.

Now, if only you could find a quote with Gerry Adams or John Hume saying they are "British".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Rebelheart wrote: »

- Ian Paisley, June 1991.

Now, if only you could find a quote with Gerry Adams or John Hume saying they are "British".....
    I have heard it attributed to Martin McGuinness (I think by Sam Smyth) that he once said he was British, whether he liked or not. It was pre GFA so presumably he meant there was no formal way for him to assert (under British rule), his identity as Irish and not British

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A most interesting poll result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement