Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People from Northern Ireland are not British!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dlofnep wrote: »
    Eh, no we're not.

yes you are. good god. What about the indian ocean, why do the africans not make a fuss about that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

karma_ wrote: »
    She is infact Gibraltarian.
    her british passport says born in gibraltar,my british passport says born in sale,both are place names, gibraltar has its elected MPs in the UK parliment,so has sale and its EU MPs in england , all people from gibraltar have british passports but do not need them when coming to the UK,like scotland wales and northern ireland

You would of course qualify for a British passport. I have both. Off teh top of my head I would think it does list your nationality as Irish, I would need to check to confirm though.

no as british.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

getz wrote: »
    her british passport says born in gibraltar,my british passport says born in sale,both are place names, gibraltar has its elected MPs in the UK parliment,so has sale and its EU MPs in england , all people from gibraltar have british passports but do not need them when coming to the UK,like scotland wales and northern ireland

I'm not saying she's not British, I'm just clarifying what her nationality is.

owenc wrote: »
    no as british.

I'm assuming there's a section on the application form where you say what your choice is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Since when did we give a fiddler's about what Pat Kenny thinks? Is Camelot really that stuck for material that he's now quoting Pat Kenny?

You have a point alright, but if you listen to the segment (1 min) it does hit you between the eyes, specially with DUP/UUP supporters being sooo British, and yet Mr Kenny pontificates live on air that they certainly are not.
    People from the north are Irish by geography, and Irish or British by nationality - depending on what they as an individual choose. Beyond that - who gives a shít?

I agree, but sometimes when you hear a very prominent broadcaster making a 'categoricle statement' you prick up your ears!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

yes you are. good god. What about the indian ocean, why do the africans not make a fuss about that.:rolleyes:

Possibly 'cos the 2 continents don't have a bitter historical relationship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

People don't live in the Indian Ocean, only the mermaids do :D

I think it's the christian part he's talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

You would of course qualify for a British passport. I have both. Off teh top of my head I would think it does list your nationality as Irish, I would need to check to confirm though.
    Avoiding visa issues when travelling to & from the US is why I had 2.

devlin69.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

getz wrote: »

No, Gibraltar does not have any representation in the UK parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

names can be so confusing, like what if an american indian moved to new delhi, than he'd be a indian-american indian.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    devlin69.jpg

Well, I'm honestly not that patriotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Camelot wrote: »
    I agree, but sometimes when you hear a very prominent broadcaster making a 'categoricle statement' you prick up your ears!

Right - We're in agreement. Pat Kenny makes very pratty statements.

Eh, I don't actually give a fiddlers about the use of the British Isles comment. I was referring to the "we're all christians". I'm not a Christian.

Also, I don't remember Africans being called a "Indian Ocean people".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Right - We're in agreement. Pat Kenny makes very pratty statements.

I agree with dlofnep on this.
    People from N. Ireland are Irish as they were born on the Island of Ireland.
    If they associate themselves with British culture that’s their personal choice

Ian Paisley once said

"I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman."

More people identify themselves as Irish than British in Northern Ireland according to a new poll in Monday's Belfast Telegraph. Over 1,000 people were interviewed for the survey. A total of 42% of those surveyed told the pollsters they were Irish while 39% identified themselves as British. 18% saw themselves as Northern Irish.

There Pat Kenny, up your hole! "Let the people sing" as the old ballad goes.

Whatever you all think you are going to keep saying people are Irish and it's going to end up in a row! Why do people in ni never do this but people down south do??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Whatever you all think you are going to keep saying people are Irish and it's going to end up in a row! Why do people in ni never do this but people down south do??

Thats a fair point

People from the North dont have the same hang up about where they are born

Only IMO

• Advertisement

Winty wrote: »
    Thats a fair point

People from the North dont have the same hang up about where they are born

Only IMO
    I only ask as this never happens here and everytime someone says their British they have a canary!

I'm not saying she's not British, I'm just clarifying what her nationality is.
    sure just as my nationality is mamucium,[latin for my place of birth]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Assorted rubbish deleted from the tail end of this thread. Kindly remember the name of the forum in which you're posting when considering relevance. You should all know better. This thread looks like having a limited remaining life.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Irish people are intrinsically Irish wherever in Ireland they come from. Some may associate themselves with other countries because of family connections or because they like Opera. Some other country may pass a law stating that we are Russian or Chinese and provide passports that say that, but they are just bits of paper. Irish people remain intrinsically Irish, notwithstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gaelic32

ardmacha wrote: »
    Irish people are intrinsically Irish wherever in Ireland they come from. Some may associate themselves with other countries because of family connections or because they like Opera. Some other country may pass a law stating that we are Russian or Chinese and provide passports that say that, but they are just bits of paper. Irish people remain intrinsically Irish, notwithstanding.

Good point!

ardmacha wrote: »

We can choose our nationality not you and if we say we are british then we are british nothing else.:rolleyes:

We can choose our nationality not you and if we say we are british then we are british nothing else.:rolleyes:

Who's this "we"? You can only speak for yourself. Not anyone else. If you choose to be British, then you are British. If someone else chooses to be Irish, then they are Irish. I'm not sure what the problem is.

You might take a leaf out of Ian Paisley's book when he said: "I would never repudiate the fact that I am an Irishman".

Therein lies the problem, whether you like it or not you are Irish or if you prefer Northern Irish. This does not preclude you however from identifying yourself as British as you wish.

did all the people of ireland consider themself british pre 1920 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Is there any other people apart from a certain backward segment of Northern Unionists who insist that they are nothing but British?

Are there any English, Welsh or Scottish people who loudly insist that they are British and British alone? Obviously not.

The "British only" school of Unionism is clearly an ill-conceived reaction to Irish Nationalism. Ironic that in the end it Irish Nationalism that is allowed to shape the identity of those who so loudly protest that it should be them and them alone that define themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement