Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Trailer is coming Tuesday!!
    Hoping we get a glimpse of the big green fella. Curious to know if they're sticking with the same iteration from the Norton movie, a tweaked version of that, or a new design altogether.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/avengers/

Trailers out. Loki and the skrulls ? Could be epic if it's done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,653 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

YT version

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I dunno why but I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed! Maybe I built it up too much and it is only a teaser. Thank god it's here though!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it looks great. Big, bright and maybe a little bit campy. Necessary to incorporate Thor and Cap imo! Didn't give too much away either really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Saweeeet!
    Going home to re-read "Secret Invasion" again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

That was one poor teaser... Quite disappointing IMO. Holding out hope the finished product is much improved.

Edit: What's with Thor's blow-dry? Cap's suit looks cack too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The first 40 seconds could nearly have been a Transformers trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Still can't for the life of me understand why this is getting so hyped. Iron Man looked cool. Could do with a little less NIN

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Could do with a little less NIN
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not feeling it yet. Though at least it was a trailer that kept the story close to its chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Can't help but shake the feeling that its just going to be Iron Man and Friends. Everything I've seen Robert Downey Jr features heavily. Loki as main villain is cool though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't help but shake the feeling that its just going to be Iron Man and Friends. Everything I've seen Robert Downey Jr features heavily. Loki as main villain is cool though.

I get the impression Cap and Iron Man's relationship will be the central one of the film. With Loki involved Thor will have a pretty big role too though I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I get the impression Cap and Iron Man's relationship will be the central one of the film.

I'd say they're going for the power struggle angle alright. But it won't work if Stark does all the meeting and greeting and gets all the one liners as the footage has suggested so far. Hope I'm wrong though, I just prefer Cap to Iron Man :pac:

I wonder what they're going to do with the Hulk...
    In the comics, the dynamic between Betty Ross and himself resulted in him going a bit mad when she rejected him but I don't see her in the movie.

It's easy enough to see what they'll do with Cap and Stark (old fashioned values Vs. Starks playboy lifestyle) and Thor will probably get on real well with Stark as well but Banner?...also, there's no Hank Pym to act as a rival here too.

Guess I'll just have to wait 'til next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

smokingman wrote: »
    Saweeeet!
    Going home to re-read "Secret Invasion" again tonight.

I think they may not go down that route but instead use a variation of the Chitauri storyline from the first Ultimates run. Plus in the Ultimates the Chitauri stated that on other planets/dimensions one of the words used to describe them was Skrull (and the actual Skrull population in the Ultimate universe hated the Chitauri as the Chitauri werte being called Skrull :D).

Given that the Chitauri had links with the Nazis in WWII, that could tie in with the Cap movie.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Given that the Chitauri had links with the Nazis in WWII, that could tie in with the Cap movie.

Never thought of that....

Mind you, I think it's fairly certain it's the Skrulls in this one.
    There was a game company doing an official game for the film that got canned and someone in the team release some beta vids of it that included the Skrulls as bad guys.

smokingman wrote: »
    Never thought of that....

Mind you, I think it's fairly certain it's the Skrulls in this one.
    There was a game company doing an official game for the film that got canned and someone in the team release some beta vids of it that included the Skrulls as bad guys.

Yeah but the art and demo footage also had the likes of Thor in his Ultimates costume and had the game set in the Ultimates universe where the Chitauri were the shape shifters and in that Marvel universe the Skrull could not shape shift but the Chitauri had in the past shape shifted to make themselves look like the Skrull so the Skrull would be blamed for stuff.

My gut feeling is that the plot for the film will be a mash up of the classic Loki storyline which started the Avengers in the 616 Marvel universe and the Chitauri storyline which kickstarted the team in the Ultimate universe.

I think the Secret Invasion storyline is way too big to do justice to wioth only one film, and is too cool a storyline to have so few superheroes in it in a film version.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think the Secret Invasion storyline is way too big to do justice to wioth only one film, and is too cool a storyline to have so few superheroes in it in a film version.

That's never stopped anyone before, look what the did to The Pheonix Saga and The Coming of Galactus storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I cant wait for this, even more so after seeing the trailer!!!! My only fear is that I'll hype it up too much, like I did with plenty of movies over the last few years!! But with the cast and crew it defo has the potential to be an epic movie!!!!

Oh and in response to the comments about Cap's costume, I think it just whatever way the shots were taken that make it look bad, or maybe Chris Evans will be wearing a more flexible one when in the action sequences cause it looks pretty cool in this pic...

82890_gal.jpg

• Advertisement

That's never stopped anyone before, look what the did to The Pheonix Saga and The Coming of Galactus storylines.

*shudders*

Unfortunately you are dead right, The Dark Phoenix Saga was one of the comic book highlights of my childhood, and it tied in so well with the the Phoenix Saga from the late 1970's. The movie take on it was pathetic in comparison.

Mind you, Marvel themselves weren't making those movie travesties....they are on this one.

I'm beginning to think Kess might deffo be onto something with the Chitauri and Ultimates versions of what might be in here. The Iron Man movie was effectively an Ultimates version of his origin story, same for Cap.

...and well, the Ultimates have Sam Jackson as Fury from the beginning.
    samjackson-ultimates4.jpg?1261794362

I half expected there to be a wolverene came in captain america :/ whats going to go on with that energy cube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

I dunno why but I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed! Maybe I built it up too much and it is only a teaser. Thank god it's here though!

yes me too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks fun.
    Nice to see Tony is wrecking everyone's head. Hope he gets his a$$ kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Not feeling it yet. Though at least it was a trailer that kept the story close to its chest.

I'm also very happy with this. It's probably why the trailer isn't great; it just gives a few glimpses of the action, a couple of one-liners and that's it. Doesn't even give away much action, which is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Heh. Andy Inhatko on G+:
    Here's the dialogue that was going through my mind as I watched it:

"Holy Herodatus K. Christ on a pogo stick! This crisis means the total annihilation of all life on this planet if we don't do something about it! What will we do about it?"

"Don't worry, sir: I'm going to put seven guys on it right away."

"You did hear me say 'total annihilation of all life on this planet', right?"

"Yuppers."

"I did hear you say you're going to put seven people on it?"

"Good point. Six. We'll get six people on it. I'm sorry if I panicked and overreacted."

"Six."

"Sure."

"Are they...well, are they, like, each as powerful as (I dunno) a hundred thousand people, or something?"

"Three of them are pretty powerful sure."

"And now I can't help but focus on the fact that 'three' isn't nearly the same number as 'six'."

"Look, it's not as if the others are just along for the ride. One of them is an 80 year old man with the strength and speed of a 20-year-old man in peak physical condition. This other guy is, like, the most awesome bow-and-arrow guy. EVER. It took us AGES to find a bow-and-arrow guy this good. You should see him hit paper targets with his bow-and-arrow! Zing! Zap! Zing!"

"Zap? Is it too much to hope that he shoots laser-arrows that could take down an entire alien warship?"

"No. But the third guy (actually, it's a woman, not a guy, but that doesn't matter) owns a couple of handguns and she's a pretty good shot with them. She also has a bodysuit with a zipper that goes all the way down."

"We're fighting an alien menace that's vulnerable to breasts and small-caliber weapons?"

"If we are, I really like our chances."

See what I mean? I believe that when a similar conversation happened on a different planet, it ended with Jor-El saying "You're right, it's clear you're on top of this" and then he excused himself and pulled his infant son right the hell out of daycare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i can understand why some are underwhelmed with the trailer but i thought it was ok.

i DONT want the story ruined in the trailer, which happens far to much lately, and they didnt do that while letting us see all the characters.

the music did seem a bit off but again its a trailer so i doubt itll be pounding all the way through it.

i though the exploding street was done VERY well and caps uniform doesnt look half as crap as the leaked pics made out so im happy there.

also some nice things to think on too.

why is cap fighting thor at one point for instance ?

and how does the hulk get pulled in at all?

its fun to see them mix up the character relations too. ordinairly it'd be hawkeye getting in caps face not tony, and i cant help thinking steve will naturally find a bond with bruce considering they both had crap childhoods in the bullying stakes.

i agree with the comment that it has a transformers vibe, but ive no problem with that as the action was never the problem in those films, it was fecking BAYs inability to tell a decent story.

so if whedon can make it THAT action packed , and deliver a serenity style ensemble peice to boot it should be great !

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

so if whedon can make it THAT action packed , and deliver a serenity style ensemble peice to boot it should be great

And to be fair, Whedon is fairly excellent with an ensemble cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

It looks a little too Michael Bay for my liking. That and the lack of Ed Norton.

Advertisement