Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Listening to those nerds oowing and awing over that trailer like it's the best thing ever makes me mad for some reason. I really don't get the appeal of this at all tbh. Watched Iron Man 2 last night and it's pretty much put me off this big crossover thing altogether. It was like one giant teaser trailer all by itself.

I can't see how this movie will gel together with so many characters sharing the spotlight

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Listening to those nerds oowing and awing over that trailer like it's the best thing ever makes me mad for some reason. I really don't get the appeal of this at all tbh. Watched Iron Man 2 last night and it's pretty much put me off this big crossover thing altogether. It was like one giant teaser trailer all by itself.

I can't see how this movie will gel together with so many characters sharing the spotlight

X-Men? managed it fine

Been ages since I've seen X-Men. I only remember maybe two of the main characters being given significant screen time. Wolverine and that girl with the electric powers (not Storm). This has Sam Jackson, Robert Downey Junior, Scarlet Johanassen etc. Loads of big names that I can see going to waste. Samuel Jackson had probably less than 5 minutes total speaking time in the one I watched last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

theyre americans.

they ALWAYS whoop and holler in the cinema.

kinda freak them out to come to countries like ireland where everyone just gets up and leaves.

as to the averngers thing.

all the intro's are pretty much done. i liked the first x men but ALOT of the major characters got sidelined because of the run time. cyclops is the leader FFS and you wouldnt know why from the film and sabretooth was just relegated to henchman.

i dont think avengers have that problem now it can go straight into things.

• Advertisement

all the intro's are pretty much done. i liked the first x men but ALOT of the major characters got sidelined because of the run time. cyclops is the leader FFS and you wouldnt know why from the film and sabretooth was just relegated to henchman.

i dont think avengers have that problem now it can go straight into things.
    That's an interesting point. No need to establish the main crew as that's already been done.

By the same token it makes me fear that this is just going to be a loud, obnoxious load of fan service with little for the average cinema goer who isn't already heavily invested in this stuff. Plus I can't see how this movie will be accessible to those who haven't watched the other 5 or so films.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

By the same token it makes me fear that this is just going to be a loud, obnoxious load of fan service with little for the average cinema goer who isn't already heavily invested in this stuff. Plus I can't see how this movie will be accessible to those who haven't watched the other 5 or so films.

Joss Whedon is great at doing stories with large ensemble casts of characters. It couldn't be in better hands imho. If he doesn't pull it off no-one will.

But his main work is in TV, is it not? I know that there is a Firefly movie but the pacing of a TV series nearly always allows for greater fleshing out of characters.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But his main work is in TV, is it not? I know that there is a Firefly movie but the pacing of a TV series nearly always allows for greater fleshing out of characters.

Yea his work is primarily TV and some comic books too. He's written quite a few movies(Toy Story to name one!) THe only proper film he's directed so far is Serenity(the firefly movie) but that just happens to be the best film of it's kind since The Empire Strikes Back (in terms of dialogue and writing it's probably the best film of it's kind full stop). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

mikhail said it better than I ever could. I assume you haven't seen 'Serenity' [the Firefly movie], so watch the first 10-20 minutes of it and ask yourself the below.
    mikhail wrote: »
    • Who's the captain?
    • Which character is a doctor?
    • Who is or was a monk?
    • Who is the mechanic?
    • Which character is the pilot?
    • Which two are married?
    • Which one is a bit odd, maybe crazy?
    • Which character is a prostitute?
    • Where are they?
    • Describe in one or two words something of Adam Baldwin's character's character.

Whedon is a master at getting exposition out of the way in a very entertaining fashion. I, for one, am not worried about that aspect of 'The Avengers' film.

• Advertisement

That's an interesting point. No need to establish the main crew as that's already been done.

but its not for them, tbh I'm sick to death of movies pandering to the "casual" audience, if you havent seen the previous films why bother watching this? Its nice that you need to have invested something in the other movies to view this properly. Serenity did this brilliantly as well, there was no big recap or "heres what you missed in the series" montage or anything for people who hadnt watched it,I hadnt seen Firefly before I watched Serenity and had no trouble following it, the characters and premise are all laid out in the opening 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

shades of harry potter there alright.

who in their right mind would go see the last two without seeing any of the others ?

avengers is and "event " film.

its a pay off for people who looked at the other films.

im confident whedon will craft it so its accessible but its core audience is already sold on this , just like the potter lads were.

i also cant help thinking theres a nice "throwback" thing going on in relation to the early days of cinema where people would pay to see serials. obviously its on a much bigger scale but essentially thats what these films are.

and a crap load of people LOVED them.

shades of harry potter there alright.

who in their right mind would go see the last two without seeing any of the others ?

avengers is and "event " film.

its a pay off for people who looked at the other films.

im confident whedon will craft it so its accessible but its core audience is already sold on this , just like the potter lads were.

i also cant help thinking theres a nice "throwback" thing going on in relation to the early days of cinema where people would pay to see serials. obviously its on a much bigger scale but essentially thats what these films are.

and a crap load of people LOVED them.

Thats exactly it, if you go see a sequel or follow up without having seen the original thats your tough luck. Dont expect a movie to pander to those who didnt bother seeing the original

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    I just saw it new movie has avengers Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, The Incredible Hulk ,

but Black Widow, and Nick Fury, are shield members

but back in early comics of avengers were Captain America, Iron Man,
    Thor, Ant-man, wasp, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye , Vision, Wonder Man, Falcon scarlet witch

so weres Ant-man, wasp, Captain Marvel, Vision, Wonder Man, Falcon scarlet witch

Who cares? :/

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    I just saw it new movie has avengers Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, The Incredible Hulk ,

but Black Widow, and Nick Fury, are shield members

but back in early comics of avengers were Captain America, Iron Man,
    Thor, Ant-man, wasp, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye , Vision, Wonder Man, Falcon scarlet witch

so weres Ant-man, wasp, Captain Marvel, Vision, Wonder Man, Falcon scarlet witch

Didnt we get enough of this bullsh1t in the Transformers thread? seriously nobody gives a sh1t

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

wampyrus77, I'm not really sure what the deal is, but please lay off with the bizarre link-happy posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

After seeing Captain america and the teaser/trailer afterward this movie can not come soon enough just hope they don't show too much before it comes out, Like i did with Thor and Cap ill watch the 1st trailer and thats it, its crazy how much of the films marvel put out before the actual release date, Cannot wait to see Loki go full on evil son of a bitch guy that plays him is class best villain of all the movies to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Just seen Captain America which was great. I'm confused about this though, i know its trivial.

How does Tony Stark have Captain America's shield if it was buried with him in the antarctic. I was under the impression that it was the only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

thorbarry wrote: »
    Just seen Captain America which was great. I'm confused about this though, i know its trivial.

How does Tony Stark have Captain America's shield if it was buried with him in the antarctic. I was under the impression that it was the only one?

The shield in IM2 was just a prototype. If my memory serves me correctly, it was a pretty crappy looking prototype too. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

thorbarry wrote: »

The one Tony Stark had was just some sort of model or replica. It wasn't even fully built. The proper shield was solid vibranium and painted.

Here's the one from Iron Man:
    Cap2_CAPTAIN_AMERICA_SHIELD_AND_THORS_HAMMER_IN_IRON_MAN_2-s540x250-58519-580.jpg

Yeah it was definitly only a prototype

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Something came back to me when I was watching Captain America. Anyone remember this when Hulk came out?

captain-america-hulk-2.jpg

Was it ever confirmed or dismissed by the makers?

Corholio wrote: »
    Something came back to me when I was watching Captain America. Anyone remember this when Hulk came out?

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/images/captain-america-hulk-2.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at? :)

Supposed to be Cap buried in the ice.

Supposed to be Cap buried in the ice.

It's yonks since I seen Incredible Hulk, where was that scene supposed to be? Cause Cap's plane went down over Greenland or somewhere I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it is meant to be him, the thunder storm in it was meant to have something to do with Thor. Both links seem pretty tenuous to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Its from a deleted scene/ alternate opening. So i wouldn't take it as part of the series at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cap was found in
    the wreckage of the Red Skull's ship
    , so that couldn't be him

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Promo shot featuring Cap and the gang

9we9r380.jpg

• Advertisement

Cap gonna be the leader then ?

Advertisement