Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No chance of an old spoiler warning no?
    Thread title indicating '*spoilers from post 1181*' not sufficient enough? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Wow. Lots of love for this utterly passable movie! Decent popcorn fare mind, I did enjoy it as a special FX-loaded romp. But "best film I've seen in years"? Some people need to get a grip. I'm hoping all those "buzzing with excitement" after seeing this are under 13. In which case, I hope you were also accompanied by an adult when you went to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes, you called it. Still a bit annoyed about Coulson being offed like that; man didn't even get to kick any arse
    He did get a very funny shot at Loki though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Wow. Lots of love for this utterly passable movie! Decent popcorn fare mind, I did enjoy it as a special FX-loaded romp. But "best film I've seen in years"? Some people need to get a grip. I'm hoping all those "buzzing with excitement" after seeing this are under 13. In which case, I hope you were also accompanied by an adult when you went to see it.

It must be dizzy up there is it?

This was a fantastic popcorn action film, which delivered exactly as expected (and unexpected). The Hulk was just ****in cool, some genuine goosebump inducing moments there. It was simply one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in years and it just felt like a movie that lived up to the hype.

And I'm 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm still buzzing after seeing this 2 weeks ago and I'm 28. Been reading Marvel since I was a youngfella and to me this was the best film in years.

your-high-horse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I've come to accept that I'm in a minority because I was underwhelmed by this, I do think best film in years is a rather extreme level of hyperbole. One's 'favourite film in years' might perhaps be a more correct observation, because I think from any objective & subjective standpoint there are vast amounts of films that have advanced the artistic medium of cinema considerably more. Of course, they didn't give giant green superheroes the best punchlines, but that's an aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

One's 'favourite film in years' might perhaps be a more correct observation, because I think from any objective & subjective standpoint there are vast amounts of films that have advanced the artistic medium of cinema considerably more.

Congratulations, you just summed up cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

While I've come to accept that I'm in a minority because I was underwhelmed by this, I do think best film in years is a rather extreme level of hyperbole. One's 'favourite film in years' might perhaps be a more correct observation, because I think from any objective & subjective standpoint there are vast amounts of films that have advanced the artistic medium of cinema considerably more. Of course, they didn't have moderately amusing jokes concerning giant green superheroes, but that's an aside.

I loved The Avengers, but I'd agree that it almost certainly isn't the 'best film in years'. My favourite film in a long time, maybe, but when you consider some of the films we've had over the past 5 years.... Avengers is great, but I wouldn't call it the best.

But the film itself is an astounding achievement. They got the characters absolutely spot on. They managed a huge ensemble cast and gave each a great moment. The action was great. The film was funny without being a comedy. They made Hulk more than just the "big and strong" of the team. They made Cap the leader of the team without trying to make him seem stronger than he is. They balanced the team itself well. And most importantly, it felt like a comic book.

To get all that right.... is an amazing achievement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also:

Mod Note: I'm really going to have to start deleting and/or actioning posts that don't stop with this idiotic condescension / gross generalisations. Don't bother responding to these posts. Just report them and we'll deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just wondering if someone could help me out, my two and a half year old is going mad to see Avengers (I consider my job as a parent done:D) and I told him I would try bring him this week. I was just wondering would somebody be able to PM me and tell me if they feel it would be a bit too much for him or if there are any scenes which might freak him out (not specific, just a general yeah there are a few/none/one). I would check back here but I am trying to keep spoiler free.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sent you a PM:
    There aren't many scary scenes.. but it can be quite slow for the first 25 - 30 minutes, so might not be best for a 2 and a half year old's attention span.

Others may not agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

While I've come to accept that I'm in a minority because I was underwhelmed by this, I do think best film in years is a rather extreme level of hyperbole. One's 'favourite film in years' might perhaps be a more correct observation, because I think from any objective & subjective standpoint there are vast amounts of films that have advanced the artistic medium of cinema considerably more. Of course, they didn't give giant green superheroes the best punchlines, but that's an aside.

so what if people do think its the best film in years? I loved it, its flawed sure but hugely entertaining, definitely one of the best blockbusters of late, and the biggest surprise for me since Star Trek 2009, something I had low to mid expectations for that were completely surpassed. Its a brilliant crowd pleasing blockbuster, nothing more. If Hollywood could make more summer movies like this then it'd be great.

krudler wrote: »
    Its a brilliant crowd pleasing blockbuster, nothing more.

At the risk of sounding elitist (not the intention), is that really enough to warrant a definitive tag of 'best film in years'? While I agree with the suggestion that it emerges favourably over its recent direct budgetary competition - although wouldn't quite agree that it's the best film of its type since Star Trek - I just wouldn't put it anywhere near the 'best of the best' of this year alone, which IMO has been an excellent year for all sorts of cinema so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

At the risk of sounding elitist (not the intention), is that really enough to warrant a definitive tag of 'best film in years'? While I agree with the suggestion that it emerges favourably over its recent direct budgetary competition - although wouldn't quite agree that it's the best film of its type since Star Trek - I just wouldn't put it anywhere near the 'best of the best' of this year alone, which IMO has been an excellent year for all sorts of cinema so far.

What movie would you put above this which has been released this year and last year for that matter so I can see what your comparing it to.

I tend to separate something like The Avengers from something like say, The Tree of Life, they're both films, just vastly different in what they're trying to achieve. I love my blockbusters, nothing beats a night at the cinema watching something that an audience gets on board with and enjoys, Thats The Avengers. Then there's something with more thought and meaning behind it, best enjoyed in your own company and gives you something to ponder and think about, thats what something artistic like The Tree Of Life is for.

I agree that "favourite" and "best" are two different opinions, but still just opinions, some movies that critics laud over I've found complete snorefests, and likewise loved other much acclaimed movies, hated some huge blockbusters like Bridesmaids but loved poorly reviewed and commercial failure movies as well. I likes what I likes :pac:

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What movie would you put above this which has been released this year and last year for that matter so I can see what your comparing it to.

Thor, The Raid, Super, Summer Wars, Attack the Block, Drive, Cabin in the Woods, Tinker Tailor..., Kill List, The Descendents, Young Adult, Margaret, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Cold Fish, Confessions, I Saw the Devil, Evangelion 2.0, Cold Weather, Take Shelter, Himizu, 13 Assassins, Poetry, A Separation... Probably quite a few more. A wide range of films, of all genres and budget levels. Some closer in type, others far removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I don't understand why people are getting so offended by the notion that people thought the movie was fantastic.
    We're not talking about paris hilton's latest attempt at acting here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Thor, The Raid, Super, Summer Wars, Attack the Block, Drive, Cabin in the Woods, Tinker Tailor..., Kill List, The Descendents, Young Adult, Margaret, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Cold Fish, Confessions, I Saw the Devil, Evangelion 2.0, Cold Weather, Take Shelter, Himizu, 13 Assassins, Poetry, A Separation... Probably quite a few more. A wide range of films, of all genres and budget levels. Some closer in type, others far removed.
    of what ive seen in that list, avengers was better than them all in my opinion,

you gotta remember also how long these comics have been running, 40-50years+, they will draw in a hugh crowd, so it doesnt matter if a person 12 or 60 their just as likely to walk out of the cinema with a hugh smile on their face saying " that was ****ing awesome":D,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Now that would be amazing! Black Widow versus Buffy!
    Whedon was asked about that, and immediately described in loving detail a fight between the two.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2012/04/exclusive-joss-whedon-answers-my-qs--now-he-wants-yours/1#.T6PLqsV1YQW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Definitely better than Thor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You rate Thor better. Have not seen The Raid yet but plan too. Surely not Attack the Block, Tinker Tailor (snooze fest, good acting). Drive I will concede, love that movie.

Its great that you can see that your list is better than Avengers. Its what makes life interesting. Different views.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Johnny-Ultimate, while judging the Avengers on artistic merit to gauge overall film quality is not wrong in itself, now is probably not the time as we're all buzzing with 'epic blockbuster' fever. I'd say give it a month or two, when we've all calmed down. ;)
    For instance, Commando is not artistically or subjectively a brilliant film, but it's still the best film of all time!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well as an Avengers fan since i was like 4 I'm 28 now i've waded through all the ****e comic book movies we've had through the years the 1st lot of X films, Ghostrider, Elektra and the F4 movie to an extent and to finally have Avengers on the big screen is an amazing achievement in its self especially building up continuity over what 6 movies is almost unheard of (bar star wars) and for all of them to be instantly rewatchable is even better, I have seen Avengers 3 times now and i plan on watching it again , and with the after credits scene things are only going to get bigger and bigger with these movies, So with those things in mind i loved this movie and rate it higher than anything i've seen probaly in the last decade

And obviously its not to everyones taste as we can see from people as far back as ten pages ago trying to pick it apart for various bits and pieces, It's not to everyones tastes so get over it !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Galvasean wrote: »
    For instance, Commando is not artistically or subjectively a brilliant film, but it's still the best film of all time!!!! :D
    well it will be the next time i watch it, so stick around:D

Sure, we'll just have to wait for Prometheus, then the Dark Knight Rises, and then the Hobbit to each in turn be labelled the best film ever. And so continues the cycle of best films ever, with the definitive choice of best film ever only finally and sort-of-accidentally agreed upon when the world unexpectedly ends a few days after Iron Man 3 is released. And since that will be slickly written/directed by Shane Black and feature Andy Lau being awesome, few will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Avengers certainly isn't the best film ever but it is the film that I enjoyed the most in recent memory. I'd still say The Dark Knight and Inception were better films but there's no question which film I'd love to watch again right now. In fact, I plan on seeing it again this weekend. It was that much of a joy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sure, we'll just have to wait for Prometheus, then the Dark Knight Rises, and then the Hobbit to each in turn be labelled the best film ever. And so continues the cycle of best films ever, with the definitive choice of best film ever only finally and sort-of-accidentally agreed upon when the world unexpectedly ends a few days after Iron Man 3 is released. And since that will be slickly written/directed by Shane Black and feature Andy Lau being awesome, few will disagree.

I still remember when the Dark Knight came out people said, in all seriousness, that there was no need to make new movies because it could never be 'beaten'....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Dark Knight wasn't really a comic book movie though was it ?

Dark Knight wasn't really a comic book movie though was it ?

Batman had a cameo in it, it counts

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Batman had a cameo in it, it counts

I want to thank this twice .

Advertisement