Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why it is in YOUR OWN INTEREST not to strike or protest at this time (mid May 2010).

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: I would also like to see charges pressed where they are applicable but I wont be holding my breath. The first step is to get this shower out without wrecking the rest of our economy because this isnt even close to as bad as it can get.

I lived through the currency crisis in the early 90s (I dunno if you were around for them) and interest rates on mortages went to 16-18%. For several weeks/months.

If you think you cant pay your mortage now...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

DeVore wrote: »
    ps: I would also like to see charges pressed where they are applicable but I wont be holding my breath. The first step is to get this shower out without wrecking the rest of our economy because this isnt even close to as bad as it can get.

I lived through the currency crisis in the early 90s (I dunno if you were around for them) and interest rates on mortages went to 16-18%. For several weeks/months.

If you think you cant pay your mortage now...

DeV.

I remember the seventies; interest rates 20%, VAT 35%, and inflation around 20%. Things here are not as bad as then, despite everything that is said now. Of course there wasnt the same massive loss of capital values in terms of House values and Shares and pension funds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

anymore wrote: »
    I remember the seventies; interest rates 20%, VAT 35%, and inflation around 20%. Things here are not as bad as then, despite everything that is said now. Of course there wasnt the same massive loss of capital values in terms of House values and Shares and pension funds.

well I can only speak for the UK, but an average house price back then was about 5000 of course 20% on that would be tough, but even 10% on 150,000 or 200,000 is going to be mental. I'm honestly scared about what is going to happen when they start raising teh interest rate. Already I know of people who have had to walk out of their homes.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

karma_ wrote: »
    well I can only speak for the UK, but an average house price back then was about 5000 of course 20% on that would be tough, but even 10% on 150,000 or 200,000 is going to be mental. I'm honestly scared about what is going to happen when they start raising teh interest rate. Already I know of people who have had to walk out of their homes.
    Wow. Stunning lack of understanding of:

a. Historic prices of houses... I was trying to buy a house back then and it was 70,000 punts (about 90,000 euro) for a reasonable house on the north side.

b. Percentages.

You understand that relative to wages then 20% interest was still 20%.

As a qualified Visual Basic coder with plenty of experience I was earning 14,000 punts a year. And I considered myself lucky, most of my class mates emigrated.

20% on 70,000 when you only earn 14,000 is a world of pain away from what we have here and very much the same as a hike now would be.

If people think "are sure everything is f*cked we might as well get on the streets and riot" you have ANSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW BAD THIS CAN GET.

Neither did Greece.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Guya

deadtiger wrote: »
    There is nothing to be gained from this protest tbh and it seems that the people involved do not have any REAL plans on how we get out of this mess. If I am spending more than I earn I make cut backs on that expenditure and suck it up (in fact I have had to do this and will have to do even more over the next few months given my own personal circumstances). I certainly do not go down to the local loan shark and ask for more loans to keep my expenditure to the pre crash levels that I got used to.

At this stage I expect the usual troublemakers to "have a go" on Tuesday and I hope to god they are met with the most brutal response possible from the Gardai.

We as a people have to take responsibility for the mess the country is in and work our way out of it even though most of us have not done anything to create the mess. 2012 will be when we can exact our revenge on our politicians for allowing the mess to be worse in this country.

Where do you start with this mess of a comment?

Pre-crisis loan shark budgeting got us into this mess.
    You hope there's violence on Tuesday. That's idiotic.
    We have to take responsibility ... for the mess we didn't make... by working?
    Are you for real? If we had worked harder maybe we wouldn't be in this mess now? Work in banks with the same rules perhaps?
    Getting on with things as normal is the opposite of taking responsibility. It's implicitly telling the policy makers that we will swallow much more than we've already choked on.

DeVore - My previous points are valid. You can ignore me but please do think about the facts. While you do nothing this week there will be legions of bankers plotting how to screw you even harder. They won't stop. It's their job.

I've seen inside all the political parties of this country apart from SF. I can't go into details but I can say that they are all the same. They all try to please their own electorate. Nothing more. There is no political hope in Ireland if there is no demand for it. We must create it. The march on Tuesday will help create a broader political spectrum in this narrow-minded former colony.

• Advertisement

a. Historic prices of houses... I was trying to buy a house back then and it was 70,000 punts (about 90,000 euro) for a reasonable house on the north side.

b. Percentages.

DeV.

off your damn soap box please, I'm not preaching 'we are all fúcked'.

Firstly, I did state I was speaking for the UK, and the average house price in 1970 was £5000. Next time maybe try to read the post? just a thought.

Secondly, the way house prices shot up in value for the past 20 years was just crazy, there is no way that house prices should got any way near what they got up to. The ordinary man or first time buyer could hardly afford one. Wages did not rise anywhere near as sharply as house prices, so my point about a 10% interest rate on some of todays mortgages is completely valid.

The point I was trying to make was it is going to be tough, I do know people who have lost their jobs and had to literally walk out of their houses and the interest rate is at 0% (in the UK). So if it's tough now then it's going to hurt a lot more when the rate is raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Guya wrote: »
    Where do you start with this mess of a comment?

Pre-crisis loan shark budgeting got us into this mess.
    You hope there's violence on Tuesday. That's idiotic.
    We have to take responsibility ... for the mess we didn't make... by working?
    Are you for real? If we had worked harder maybe we wouldn't be in this mess now? Work in banks with the same rules perhaps?
    Getting on with things as normal is the opposite of taking responsibility. It's implicitly telling the policy makers that we will swallow much more than we've already choked on.

DeVore - My previous points are valid. You can ignore me but please do think about the facts. While you do nothing this week there will be legions of bankers plotting how to screw you even harder. They won't stop. It's their job.

I've seen inside all the political parties of this country apart from SF. I can't go into details but I can say that they are all the same. They all try to please their own electorate. Nothing more. There is no political hope in Ireland if there is no demand for it. We must create it. The march on Tuesday will help create a broader political spectrum in this narrow-minded former colony.

WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION THEN MATE.

Stop waffling on with soundbites like "narrow-minded former colony", "legion of bankers" and crap like that and give us your solution.

I already know the answer you and the majority of those deluded fools who will be marching tomorrow don't have any credible ones. Come on prove me wrong and show me your solution to get us out of the immediate mess we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Can we calm that down a bit, please.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I understand that, but it's still a valid point.

A £5000 mortgage in 1970 was 3 times a yearly wage for one person earning £32 per week, today for 2 people on min wage paying a £150,000 mortgage its 6 times their yearly wage.

• Advertisement

deadtiger wrote: »
    WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION THEN MATE.

Stop waffling on with soundbites like "narrow-minded former colony", "legion of bankers" and crap like that and give us your solution.

I already know the answer you and the majority of those deluded fools who will be marching tomorrow don't have any credible ones. Come on prove me wrong and show me your solution to get us out of the immediate mess we are in.

Calm down there tigger. There is no immediate solution. Did you read anything I wrote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

b. Percentages.

As a qualified Visual Basic coder with plenty of experience I was earning 14,000 punts a year. And I considered myself lucky, most of my class mates emigrated.

20% on 70,000 when you only earn 14,000 is a world of pain away from what we have here and very much the same as a hike now would be.

If people think "are sure everything is f*cked we might as well get on the streets and riot" you have ANSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW BAD THIS CAN GET.

Neither did Greece.

DeV.

you forgot to mention that on that 14k you prob paying tax at 65% too too add to the 20% intrest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

b. Percentages.

Neither did Greece.

DeV.

I'd prefer to look at Iceland.

Like you I remember the 80's, I remember having nothing and everyone I knew had nothing. So I hear you. But I worked hard over two decades working full time though I've poured high taxes into the system. But I am sickened to the pit of my stomach at what has been done with that. I can't earn that again. I can not bail this country out another time due to greedy FF.

Its WORSE than the 80's. Little people had nothing then, but NOW we have significant personal debt usually as well. So thing ARE bad and for us the little people to keep paddling we will not be able to accept the pain they are about to visit. It not that people WONT its that they cant. The Govermnent may say they've no choice but neither do we.....So whats to be done?

People have zero patience for the FF PR machine kicking into gear now. I dont want to hear

We don't have to leave FF in power, we don't have to go entirely off the blueprint, we'll still have to take pain but bigger billions like Anglo can be seen in its reality and democratically decided on.

We also need to engage more with Europe. The Govt. are currently trying to resist our Budgets being eagle eyed by Brussels. Why?
    Because they are losing us credibility hand over fist in Europe. If their plan for recovery is robust there should be no problem. But I want it audited by an independant eye.

Things are coming to a head and I hope upon hope that it will not be like Greece. I'm no refusenik, I would hate to see rioting and vandalism and provocation of the Guards etc Because that's counter productive and after all the Guards are just ordinary Joes as much as I slag them. I'd identify more with them than the beard with the dog on the string.

Think about how much more credibility PEACEFUL organised protest is. I would love to see a huge orderly crowd march to the Dail and just do a slow handclap or similar to convey our disgust.

Anyway, maybe we could achieve what Iceland achieved in getting the Government in its present incarnation removed. People feel disenfranchised and they want to express that.

People start marching when they are desperate and can't take the fiscal pain any more.

I know Iceland still has problems and it's not perfect but at least the ones who were responsible were removed. People have had enough of the high handed ways of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

DeVore you nearly convinced me... thing is though, a lot of people like me have no trust in anyone anymore.
    Speculators, the markets, that's all over my head tbh.
    What you are arguing though, is that we should trust you that a protest would be detrimental, when, with all due respect, you are just "someone (with credentials of course) off the internet".
    Don't mean to offend at all, it's just I find it hard accept that I should trust you, just the same as I'd find it hard to accept politicians views right now. :)

To me a protest would be a way to encourage some new (real) politician to emerge. Realistically, of the thousands of dissatisfied people in the country, there must be some people like you who have a valuable message to communicate, and would be honest, "on our side" people. But so far these people have not stepped out(in?). Maybe with the assurance that thousands of proactive (by that I mean, people who are willing to march, and will probably vote en masse) people may back them, some of these budding "people defenders" might take the plunge. Who would commit their current life to politics when we're all sitting like big lumps waiting for things to happen to us ?

I am French DeVore, and back in France as you well know, protests and strikes are a daily occurence. This is nothing new, this has been going on since the 60s. Not all protests are hijacked, and most protests are peaceful. Obviously you are more likely to hear about the non-peaceful, or hijacked ones on the news. But the pressure is there on the government, on a regular basis. I can just picture the politicians sat at a big shiny table in a meeting room, coming up with all sorts of ideas, with one fellow interjecting every so often : "jaysus, don't even think about it, don't you know they'll be down in a flash, marching up to us and demanding audiences" (in French ;)).
    But you see, that is exactly what I (don't want to talk for all others) would like to see in Ireland. For the politicians to not just come up with an idea, act on it, and if the people don't like it well... ok.
    It is their job to develop an idea into something palatable and efficient at the same time, and to aim to please everyone while taking efficient measures.
    Just like in France, it could be a constant struggle, and tension, and lots of opportunities to give out and moan :). But the fact is, they're better off than we are right now, and there is some sort of a dialogue between the government and the people, and it's on-going. We're not talking spectacular achievements here, we're talking genuine negociations, not just pretend beforehand ones.

I think a peaceful protest has the power to instill a bit of a dialogue between the people and the decision makers, and would generate this kind of beneficial tension, especially so while there are no elections.

Sorry I tend to go on so :(.

As it happens, I can't go up to Dublin, but I will support them, and hope that with excellent organisation they can escape the hijacking/violent hassle from a mindless minority.

I hope so too but you are wrong about my argument.

I'm not using using Pathos or an Appeal to Authority. I'm not asking you to believe "a bloke on the internet", i've very clearly outlined the logic behind my argument. Your argument isnt with me, im just the messenger.

you say:
    It is their job to develop an idea into something palatable and efficient at the same time, and to aim to please everyone while taking efficient measures.

What if that solution doesn't exist? it doesnt have to you know...

in the end I hope it passes off peacefully but have a read of the two groups websites and see if you think they have learned anything or if they are planning more violent protest.

I hope the gardai somehow manage to stymie their plans somehow and it all passes off quietly. But I have my fears...

DeV.

I am French DeVore, and back in France as you well know, protests and strikes are a daily occurence. This is nothing new, this has been going on since the 60s. Not all protests are hijacked, and most protests are peaceful. Obviously you are more likely to hear about the non-peaceful, or hijacked ones on the news. But the pressure is there on the government, on a regular basis. I can just picture the politicians sat at a big shiny table in a meeting room, coming up with all sorts of ideas, with one fellow interjecting every so often : "jaysus, don't even think about it, don't you know they'll be down in a flash, marching up to us and demanding audiences" (in French ).

Sorry, two words.... Lisbon Treaty. They completely ignored you.

Your own leader snubbed his nose at your scary protests and rammed it through against your wishes.

You've been protesting since the 60s every week as you say, so... not very effective then eh?

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

You've been protesting since the 60s every week as you say, so... not very effective then eh?
    May 1968 was a political failure for the protesters, but it had an enormous social impact. In France, it is considered to be the watershed moment when a conservative moral ideal (religion, patriotism, respect for authority) shifted towards a more liberal moral ideal (equality, sexual liberation, human rights) that today better describes French society, in theory if not in practice.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I Although this change did not take place solely in this one month, the term mai 68 is used to refer to this general shift in principles, especially when referring to its most idealistic aspects.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1968_in_France
    I'm not religious but I think the only phrase that will work here is;

'When god closes a door he opens a window'.

;)

This irrational fear of 'speculators' focusing their attention on us is ridiculous.

You'd think, from reading your passages, that nobody knew anything about Ireland & it's situation & that it's only a matter of time before they cast their powerful brow upon us & eat us alive :rolleyes:

As far as I know, from a transcription of an imf meeting may 6, is that the IMF's view on Ireland is that we are implementing measures to cope with things.
    Well, every country is a little different, and I think, given the situation, countries are looking and considering what they can best do. We had already talked about the need for some countries to look at, to make sure that they had sufficient measures in place and under consideration. Others are Ireland and Spain. I believe Ireland’s already implementing.
    http://www.imf.org/external/np/tr/2010/tr050610.htm
    Also, in this passage she says of Greece;
    We have deliberately designed a package of financial support that gives Greece the ability to stay out of the markets for more than 18 months until 2012.
    That sounds good, but my knowledge of the IMF is that they are robber barons in terms of policy, but I couldn't be sure.

However, protesting the governments actions has nothing to do with attracting the gaze of father IMF :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put it past you to think that your perspective is that the Greek protests caused the IMF to go to Greece at this stage, we see how you put down all of French protesting history with one fell swoop 'Lisbon Treaty' and think the case is settled.

I can't spend my time on the internet trying to convince people with skewed perspectives of the actions of thousands of people, google is there.

Why not do a thought experiment, pretend your in another persons head for a second, and google the history of protests & their acheivements. Just one opinion counter to yours, try and include it before condemning the history of people's actions, it's simply incorrect to come out with sweeping statements like these...

Lisbon Treaty.

DeV

Be all and end all of everything ? :D
    French people did vote for Sarkozy, as opposed to Segolene Royal who was, I think, advocating a referendum.

You do seem very pessimistic DeVore.
    I'd rather think that yes, people can change things, rather than sit there thinking there are no solutions.

I trust the people proposing to go down protesting more than the current politicians. It's unfortunate that violent individuals should geopardize the effect of a protest, and again I hope tonight's goes peacefully.

'When god closes a door he opens a window'.

we see how you put down all of French protesting history with one fell swoop 'Lisbon Treaty' and think the case is settled.

it's simply incorrect to come out with sweeping statements like these...

Exactly.

@DeVore : Go tell the French people their protests over the last 40 + years have been in vain then, better not let them waste more time on the streets ? :D

You are afraid of speculators and that is your entire argument.

You think that rioting brought the Greek economy to its knees, not the lies and corruption of its government.
    You think the IMF base their policies on SkyNews.
    You think we need the world's charity rather than their cooperation.

When asked to elaborate on your OP you turn the tables and ask for examples of how marching can help. When you get them you ignore them. You're not backing up your stance. You're a what-if man. You're sitting on the fence. Then you can blame the next shower for the next mistakes. Absolving yourself. That's wrong. You're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Exactly.

@DeVore : Go tell the French people their protests over the last 40 + years have been in vain then, better not let them waste more time on the streets ? :D

Christ how can people not get it? Protesting against our government in this case and against cuts will at best achieve nothing. If it was gay marriage, or something, protest away, it won't lead to others calling in their debts.

Be all and end all of everything ? :D
    French people did vote for Sarkozy, as opposed to Segolene Royal who was, I think, advocating a referendum.

You do seem very pessimistic DeVore.
    I'd rather think that yes, people can change things, rather than sit there thinking there are no solutions.

I trust the people proposing to go down protesting more than the current politicians. It's unfortunate that violent individuals should geopardize the effect of a protest, and again I hope tonight's goes peacefully.
    Its an incontravertible argument against your claim that the government pay more attention to you because you protest.

DeV.

Guya wrote: »
    You are afraid of speculators and that is your entire argument.

You think that rioting brought the Greek economy to its knees, not the lies and corruption of its government.
    You think the IMF base their policies on SkyNews.
    You think we need the world's charity rather than their cooperation.

When asked to elaborate on your OP you turn the tables and ask for examples of how marching can help. When you get them you ignore them. You're not backing up your stance. You're a what-if man. You're sitting on the fence. Then you can blame the next shower for the next mistakes. Absolving yourself. That's wrong. You're wrong.
    I'll speak for myself if you dont mind, please dont put words in my mouth or fashion a DeVore-Shaped strawman.

I've focused on the speculators here, but if you want I can focus on Standard and Poor's credit rating for the country and how it will affect them... considering that the government borrowed at 4.3% just recently I think its a very key issue.

In this thread I have focused on speculators.

How do you think Greece's tourist industry survived in recent months?? Better or Worse?

I'm not saying that if anyone steps out of line today we're all immediately fncked, I'm giving the counter argument that its a risk and a risk I can see no upside to.

Critically, none of you have been able to detail a plausible, credible upside either.

DeV.

It's funny that the only video on this page was totally focused on the few protesters at the very front of the walk.

Here is what happened afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51svKk_0FEY

(fixed that video for you)

DeV.

It's funny that the only video on this page was totally focused on the few protesters at the very front of the walk.

Here is what happened afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51svKk_0FEY

How is that video any different to the one I posted.

If anything it shows LESS rioting because its been edited by that (surely not biased) Trade Union TV....

What exactly was your point there....

Oh and lol at the guy complaining about the government clinging to power, cos like the SWP didnt just try to *seize* power (in their own little trotsky way). The only way you will get me to ever vote for FF would be to make it a two horse race with those people who only see their right to XYZ and stuff the rest of us.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

"...Right to the motherf*cking wall." sorry what was the plan?

Legally. Peacefully. And more than anything, without doing US any more damage.

DeV.

If anything it shows LESS rioting because its been edited by that (surely not biased) Trade Union TV....

It showed the same scene from a different camera, it showed more clearly how that guard was hit too btw... The guard in your video that is holding his head (I think from the video I posted, I'm not 100% but It does look like it!) is (I think) visibly hit by that idiot with the white pole thing. If you rewatch it you'll notice one guard erupt afterwards an push everyone away forcefully.

What exactly was your point there....

My point was to show that there was more to the event that took place than to focus on what a few people did while trying to get inside the grounds to be heard.

People stayed around & had speakers etc... You certainly would get the impression that everything ended after the small incident at the gate from your video.
    Oh and lol at the guy complaining about the government clinging to power, cos like the SWP didnt just try to *seize* power (in their own little trotsky way).

Ah we see the 1917 linkage. I don't know what you're trying to imply by linking the SWP to a man who, because of disowning himself from the revolution that was perverted from it's original intention, ended up being axed in the back of the head - but we all know the intent of those godwin-esque allusions :rolleyes:

As for protests in general, what would satisfy you? You'd expect a speaker to get up with an economic draft & point-by-point plan and deliver a technical lecture to a crowd of non-economists with the way you've made it out to be. This just illustrates another dissociation with what a protest is about (google is there as I keep saying - just to sidestep the interrogatory question 'well what is a protest about then?).

How are people supposed to let the government know that they are unhappy with them?
    Its an incontravertible argument against your claim that the government pay more attention to you because you protest.

DeV.

Sir, this is the lowest post I've seen you make throughout this whole thread. I'd expect at least a critical perspective instead of the many sweeping claims from you seeing as you appear so organised with your insider's information but comments like this & equating demonstraters with the idiots in Greece who did that to the bankers (accidentaly but that's still no excuse!) is really illustrating ulterior motives & other things I'd rather not mention.

Oh, and it wasn't US who got the economy into this mess ;)
    amacachi wrote: »
    Christ how can people not get it? Protesting against our government in this case and against cuts will at best achieve nothing. If it was gay marriage, or something, protest away, it won't lead to others calling in their debts.

As long as it's something trivial like human rights or equality, protest away.

However, if there's money involved it's not trivial any longer :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'm not wading thru this monstroisty of a post but will instead link to a small conversation from both sides to 1 of my pics.

http://pix.ie/PunkRock/1680830?#Comment518150

BTW full set here
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/376936

Advertisement