Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

they seem to be spaced the same, along the stretch shown,
    So the could either be moles or where they will put in new lighting.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

rameire wrote: »
    they seem to be spaced the same, along the stretch shown,
    So the could either be moles or where they will put in new lighting.

Drainage maybe? Wasn't there a main drainage pipe laid in the median. Maybe they're boring through the RCB and into same using a mole - that could be the answer to recent posts here concerning accumulated water in the median.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

The holes aren't into the median. They were dug out when I passed yesterday and are holes into the surface of the road just beside the barrier. It's all along the stretch that was flooded recently.

There must be some access to drainage in the median as I saw a pumping truck there one day while the flooding was sitting there and it seemed to be working in over the wall i.e. in the middle of the median. This was before the median was filled up.

Camber wont take water away from here as I reckon it slopes into the barrier, that is why I had assumed they installed some sort of drainage into the bottom of the wall perhaps not :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Looking at the Picture I can't see any holes on the road surface itself, they are definitely in behind the RCB though?

Does the new section already open after Drynam NB (Lanes 2 & 3) have central drainage?

celticbest wrote: »
    Looking at the Picture I can't see any holes on the road surface itself, they are definitely in behind the RCB though?

Does the new section already open after Drynam NB (Lanes 2 & 3) have central drainage?

Look carefully at the piles on this side of the RCB. Notice that each large pile is actually 2 small piles either side of a dark area/shadow on the road surface. Plus the "muck" is black and brown as if it was from behind the barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Those holes are for gullys for drainage, were getting squared up this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I've had a good look at the M1 widening works today and can confirm the following:

1) The through-pass (for the R132 Southbound) on the Lissenhall South Roundabout is open with 2 lanes (will be 3 lanes as per the plans) - traffic turning from the R132 Southbound / Hearse Road to the M1 Northbound is still using the South Roundabout, but as a left to go right loop (at grade) - this will be made permanent (as per the plans) with some realignment works;

I've noticed a good few people still turning right even though there is a no right turn sign right in front of them, and not using the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Any observations on the drainage issue today with quite a lot of rain in the last 24 hours?

The earlier section does not appear to have any gullies at the centre.
    site16Camera111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

ardmacha wrote: »
    Any observations on the drainage issue today
    The earlier section does not appear to have any gullies at the centre.

I noticed that myself and tried to figure out why. I am only presuming it is to do with the camber of the road. Some sections of the road slop from the centre to the edge whereas others slope from the edge to the centre. The latter is where the drainage holes are.

On the NB side, where the water was gathering in large amounts seems to be gone since the gullies have been dug.

This morning SB just after the estuary bridge there was a good flow of water from the works towards the verge.

sgarvan wrote: »
    I noticed that myself and tried to figure out why. I am only presuming it is to do with the camber of the road. Some sections of the road slop from the centre to the edge whereas others slope from the edge to the centre. The latter is where the drainage holes are.

On the NB side, where the water was gathering in large amounts seems to be gone since the gullies have been dug.

This morning SB just after the estuary bridge there was a good flow of water from the works towards the verge.

Similar cuttings have now been made SB in roughly the same section as NB.

Work has stalled on the last section of the mainline and also the services laying in the hard shoulders. Only work now happening on these works seems to be up on the junction. As pointed out some of these routes / slips on the junction are now open.

• Advertisement

They are covering the centre median with stones, on top of the clay.

You can see the piles of black stones in this camera.

site16Camera112.jpg

The concrete "path' bit at the median of the broad meadow viaduct(SB) was being jackhammered today to allow the third land be laid.

Work on this project seems to slowed down considerably.

Anyone any idea what the holes being dug in the centre median are for?

site16Camera112.jpg

There are defo drainage holes. Shore caps went on the northbound side yesterday and on the southbound today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Remarkably wide median for a widened road. Thought they'd have eaten right into it a la M50.

Has work stopped??

Watching the cameras over the last few days and I haven't seen any works movement at all....

Site16Camera111.jpg

Site16Camera112.jpg

Site16Camera113.jpg

It slowed down considerably over the past few weeks but I was actually meaning to log-on here to say they had ramped it up again in the past few days!!!

on camera you cant see the bit from both bridges towards the northern end they now have stone down in the bits they were digging out and are levelling it off this am. it's almost ready for the last layer of stone before tar.

There's is loads of sections requiring finishing jobs, the ducting in the HS's for example are half done and now abandoned.

There was a machine SB tidying up the little bits that were excavated for the drainage holes. There also was a tractor and water tank NB at the start of the section just requiring the wearing layer but I'm not sure if he was getting ready to wash it in preparation for the wearing layer or if he was there to jet/test the drainage holes. Keep an eye for him on the cams later.

Edit: Check out post 795 showing cam125 on a large scale and you can see the tanker and watermarks along the section he's working on NB.

There was a sweeper today washing the NB section I mentioned in the last post. They must be getting ready to lay the final layer on it.

The metal grids are in th egullys now on the NB section, they're about an inch proud of the surface, waiting for the final layer of road.

There were new layers of tar down NB last night over the first bridge. (not the estuary one). More to come today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Anybody know when the project is supposed to be completed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Anybody know when the project is supposed to be completed ?
    Supposed to be the end of November but heard it may now be February.

According to the below article,
    “Works are currently underway in the latest contract to continue the widening from Junction 3 to Junction 4, a mainline distance of 4km. Traffic Management is currently in place along the first 2km north of Junction 3, where median works are ongoing to provide the additional third lane. It is expected that these works will be completed by the end of 2012 / early 2013.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/index.php/component/content/article/2017-m1-upgrade-to-boost-local-businesses.html

Traffic Cameras
    Site16Camera111.jpg

Site16Camera112.jpg

Site16Camera113.jpg

dcr22B wrote: »
    Supposed to be the end of November but heard it may now be February.

Yes. Can't see how this could be possibly completed by the end of this year with the amount of work still to be completed.
    Even Feb would be optimistic if the activity levels remain as they currently are.

Loads of surfacing done both NB & SB yesterday. The are also laying the final wearing layer on the previous section they were working on. In around the bridge crossings still need a few more layers as excavatioms seem a bit deeper around there. More digging going on round the end NB of the works / tie in area last night so the might be going for a finish on the surfacing works on the mainline this week.

Still other works to be completed on the mainline and the slip road tie in's.

Looks like more surfacing being done today,

Site16Camera112.jpg

Great to see.

Looks like more surfacing being done today,

Great to see.
    Yeah loads of machinery working at start of last nb section. Looks like they are doing the final surface run along there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Kumsheen wrote: »

Yes. Can't see how this could be possibly completed by the end of this year with the amount of work still to be completed.
    Even Feb would be optimistic if the activity levels remain as they currently are.

+1

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree - there's no way I could see this job being completed before the year is out. They're only on the first section of mainline verge works and there's still a lot of work to be done at Lissenhall. Bad weather has played a large part in this I guess.

The sooner it is finished the better. It is getter slower and slower in the mornings to get past junction 4

• Advertisement

They have the white line down marking the edge of the road beside the central barrier on the newly laid tar NB. they now have tar as far as the estuary bridge. Still working on preparing the underlay on the final bit.

Advertisement