Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pre 2002 Motorways have no ducting for VMS or other purposes other than lighting in parts, if you are going to wien within 50 mile sof Dublin ( which is where most of the pre 2002 motorway is) then adding this missing ducting is important. Just saying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Has the SB central barrier been laid a good way along the section now? I cant tell from the traffic cams as they all seem to be in bank holiday hangover mood this am. (stuck showing images from around 2am)

From the darkish image it looks like it is heading off into the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

cargo wrote: »
    Has the SB central barrier been laid a good way along the section now? I cant tell from the traffic cams as they all seem to be in bank holiday hangover mood this am. (stuck showing images from around 2am)

From the darkish image it looks like it is heading off into the distance.
    They started to lay not from where the first section finished but from the bridge over the Woodies roundabout road. They are laying back towards the first section.

They have a few 100 meters done at the moment.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They started to lay not from where the first section finished but from the bridge over the Woodies roundabout road. They are laying back towards the first section.

They have a few 100 meters done at the moment.

Yeah I knew that and the last time I passed they had about 100m done. You could see where it ended (and the machine was lying idle) just at the edge of traffic cam 112. However with the dark images it's not clear if the machine was lifted or if it's gone out of view now.

Yeah I knew that and the last time I passed they had about 100m done. You could see where it ended (and the machine was lying idle) just at the edge of traffic cam 112. However with the dark images it's not clear if the machine was lifted or if it's gone out of view now.
    There are exactly 600 meters left to be completed southbound.

• Advertisement

Be careful out there with your trundle-wheel. :D Yeah camera 112 came back on board yesterday evening and you could see where they were at with it. (looks like they got bricked again last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Does anyone know if the project is on plan to finish in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

sgarvan wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the project is on plan to finish in November?

According to the attached article from the North County Leader the upgrade will not be completed by the end of November.
    It is expected that these works will be completed by the end of 2012 / early 2013.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/index.php/component/content/article/2017-m1-upgrade-to-boost-local-businesses.html

Be careful out there with your trundle-wheel. :D Yeah camera 112 came back on board yesterday evening and you could see where they were at with it. (looks like they got bricked again last night)

Site0Camera112.jpg

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/Site0Camera112.jpg

Camera is back up and running, you can really see the progress that's being made.

As of this morning there are 250 meters left southbound and 1100 meters left northbound.

• Advertisement

Site0Camera112.jpg

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/Site0Camera112.jpg

Looks like the NB Central Median is just coming into view of the camera, it will be interesting to watch it progress tomorrow.

^ Good progress being made on the median, great being able to keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

celticbest wrote: »
    ^ Good progress being made on the median, great being able to keep an eye on it.

I'm about to drive it both directions now - will hopefully post back to you guys later. Great to see the progress on Cam #112.

I have driven the section of M1 both ways as previously mentioned and can confirm that the RCB is complete Southbound from the Mantua (Woodies) Road underpass - I didn't actually check the join at the other end, but I didn't notice anything - it seemed continuous the whole way from the underpass. Northbound, the RCB is well passed the Malahide Road flyover as can be seen via DCC Traffic Cam #112 (which I also saw! :D). Regarding the verge piping, work is well underway in both directions on the first section (where the new lanes 2 & 3 are open). I didn't get to see much on the Lissenhall Interchange, but precast concrete sections (for the cycle underpasses) were being unloaded at the start of Hearse Road. The traffic cones have made a reappearance on the section of M1 immediately South of Lissenhall (as per Traffic Cam #113).

Progress is good! :)

As of now, there's very interesting stuff happening SB immediately after the Lissenhall flyover...

Site0Camera113.jpg
    (Note: This image is self-refreshing!)

As of now, traffic appears to be reduced to a single file Southwards from Lissenhall.

Regards!

As of now, there's very interesting stuff happening SB immediately after the Lissenhall flyover...

Site0Camera113.jpg

As of now, traffic appears to be reduced to a single file Southwards from Lissenhall.

Regards!

Didnt see the cam last night. What were they up to? Did they put out new steel barrier or anything? They dont seem to be moving onto the last section of mainline just yet. (probably only do it in conjunction with the tie-in of the overhead junction works.)

Regarding the verge piping, work is well underway in both directions on the first section (where the new lanes 2 & 3 are open). I didn't get to see much on the Lissenhall Interchange, but precast concrete sections (for the cycle underpasses) were being unloaded at the start of Hearse Road. The traffic cones have made a reappearance on the section of M1 immediately South of Lissenhall (as per Traffic Cam #113).

Progress is good! :)

They are working very quickly on the verge works. Seems to be a smaller job than on the previous sections. It's mostly just services ducting and not a lot of major storm water works (they did plenty of this in the central area already).

Site0Camera113.jpg
    [COLOR="Red"](Note: This image is self-refreshing!)[/COLOR]

Regards!

Didnt see the cam last night. What were they up to? Did they put out new steel barrier or anything? They dont seem to be moving onto the last section of mainline just yet. (probably only do it in conjunction with the tie-in of the overhead junction works.)

Yeah, it didn't come to much this morning - God knows what they were doing on the Southbound carriageway last night.

God knows what they were doing on the Southbound carriageway last night.
    They moved the two southbound lanes to the left by around a meter, burned off of the old lines and repainted with new lines for the repositioned lanes. The left lane is now right up against the Malahide side of the bridge, give or take a foot or two.

Presumably the next step is to put the steel barrier in as only cones were there this morning.

The barrier is now up on the majority of the final section.

I guess it won't be three lane from directly under the flyover southbound (the third lane will probably join from the slip road?) so this may in fact cover the full final stretch.

• Advertisement

Steady progress being made today,

Median.jpg

Not bad for 4 hours.....

celticbest wrote: »
    <snip>
    Not bad for 4 hours.....

It also appears that the steel barrier (Southbound) is now gone from the section visible from Cam #112. It's great to here that things are going to start moving on the final sections (Lissenhall Southwards), now that the steel barrier is apparently in place Southbound. It didn't look as if much had happened as per Cam #113 over the last couple of nights - glad Bluetonic got his post in to say otherwise. I might get in another drive over the coming weekend or early next week.

Note: my report from last Tuesday's drive is at the end of the previous page in case anyone missed it - it's probably largely irrelevant now given how fast things are moving. BTW, the barrier casting machine is now out of sight on Cam #112! :)

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A few shots of the works at Lissenhall

Looking at the subway under the R132N->M1N

146/147

Looking at the ~9" removed from the path on the R132N to get 3 road lanes

Looking at the R132S through route, this has been built a few months, no obvious reason why it's not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A few of the Northern Roundabout,
    first the view north from the overbridge, showing the M1S-> R132S lane

then from the M1 junction

There's no clearing of the junction onto the overbridge to allow this lane open soon.

I again drove both ways between Lissenhall and the Airport yesterday and noticed a lot of soil deposited on the new Southbound lane in the area of the Malahide flyover - this can now be seen on Cam #112:

Site0Camera112.jpg

Although it seems obvious that the soil will form the earth fill for the median, some of it appeared to be flattened out across the new lane (Southbound). It might be a protection measure against road damage caused by heavy works - these works might be the soil conveyance, gantry installation etc that's due to happen anyway - can anyone add to this?

I also noticed excavation work happening in the median between the Broadmeadow Estuary bridge and Mantua (Woodies) Road underpass. A good section of the median North of the Mantua Road (including the estuary bridge) is now closed off with steel barriers. The RCB both Northbound and Southbound appeared to be completed right up to the Mantua Road underpass.

Regards!

Yeah getting rid of hte soil seems to be the issue that makes the site so tight to work in and they are doing it in nice small sections to get around this. (they are using the soil they remove to fill in between the completed concrete barrier walls)

The have now removed all steel barrier from the central reservation on the remaining section and are stripping back the wire rope sections also. 1 track machine is stripping the vegetation back along this area also. This machine is now North of the Broadwater bridge.

The temporary construction steel barrier protection stops a good bit short of the junction upgrade works so I'm not sure if this is the last part of the mainline works i.e. the lane drop and tie-in is completed in this current works area or if they'll need to do that after they finish this mainline section. I previously thought it was too far short of the junction to be the last section but yesterday passing through I was trying to eye up (as much as you can in traffic) if they have enough mainline area to drop the inside lane at this point. I think they may be past the old slip road which will now be the end of the drop so this would be the last mainline section they are now starting to work on. I'll get another look around lunchtime today NB.

<snip>Cam #112:

Site0Camera112.jpg
    [COLOR="Red"](Note: This image is self-refreshing!)[/COLOR]

It now appears that the median backfill work is largely complete to well beyond Cam #112 - It wouldn't surprise me if it's finished right up to the Mantua (Woodies) Road Underpass. Guess the wearing course for lanes 2 & 3 will be next once there's a fine day - Sunday was looking good weatherwise when I checked the Met' earlier today, but of course, I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards!

The temporary construction steel barrier protection stops a good bit short of the junction upgrade works so I'm not sure if this is the last part of the mainline works i.e. the lane drop and tie-in is completed in this current works area or if they'll need to do that after they finish this mainline section. I previously thought it was too far short of the junction to be the last section but yesterday passing through I was trying to eye up (as much as you can in traffic) if they have enough mainline area to drop the inside lane at this point. I think they may be past the old slip road which will now be the end of the drop so this would be the last mainline section they are now starting to work on. I'll get another look around lunchtime today NB.
    Same for where it starts southbound, but if you look at the original plans it's spot on where the barrier starts/ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Not sure if I should ask this here so delete if necessary......there are speed camera signs on NB and SB sections of this project. The speed limit is 60km/h. Most people are doing over 80 and more. Are there actually functioning cameras or will there be?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

I happened to be on the M1 both directions today upon visiting a friend. The median earthworks are not finished to as far as the Mantua (Woodies) Road underpass yet. However, excavation works are well underway North of the Broadmeadow Bridge and site clearance is evident towards Lissenhall, even beyond the metal barriers, as can be seen (on close examination) on Cam #113:

Site0Camera113.jpg

En Route this morning, I certainly got a good gawk as I encountered a traffic snarl-up in what was obviously caused by a seemingly serious accident (in which a vehicle was overturned on top of the verge barrier on the Southbound side approaching the Broadmeadow Bridge). I didn't see any ambulance and people at the scene (including Gardai) seemed calm considering, so possibly no one was seriously hurt. Also, I did notice the speed camera signs - but many people seemed to ignore it completely, especially this evening on my return journey Northbound.

Regards!

Advertisement