Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

En Route this morning, I certainly got a good gawk as I encountered a traffic snarl-up in what was obviously caused by a seemingly serious accident (in which a vehicle was overturned on top of the verge barrier on the Southbound side approaching the Broadmeadow Bridge). I didn't see any ambulance and people at the scene (including Gardai) seemed calm considering, so possibly no one was seriously hurt. Also, I did notice the speed camera signs - but many people seemed to ignore it completely, especially this evening on my return journey Northbound.

Regards!

I remember one day there was a car overturned on my way to Dublin in the morning and another on the way home in the afternoon and neither made the news, seems cars can withstand quite a lot these days. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

seems cars can withstand quite a lot these days. :pac:

thankfully they can.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Same for where it starts southbound, but if you look at the original plans it's spot on where the barrier starts/ends.

Yeah I meant to reply to my original post about it later that day. I had another look and yeah they will be far enough up to the Northern junction to tie-in once they complete the mainline work section they have just started. They will be well past where the old Slip roads run alongside the current mainline.

En Route this morning, I certainly got a good gawk as I encountered a traffic snarl-up in what was obviously caused by a seemingly serious accident (in which a vehicle was overturned on top of the verge barrier on the Southbound side approaching the Broadmeadow Bridge). I didn't see any ambulance and people at the scene (including Gardai) seemed calm considering, so possibly no one was seriously hurt. Also, I did notice the speed camera signs - but many people seemed to ignore it completely, especially this evening on my return journey Northbound.

Regards!

I passed there around the same time SB also. The unmarked squad pulled up as I was approaching and the tow-truck also.

Did you happen to notice the 8 wheels on the car? :) It seemed to be a car on a transported or a flatbed trailer of some sort that had flipped over onto the bridge. I'd say the passat that was pulled into the hardshoulder just in front of it was the other part of the "rig". The guard seemed to be having plenty of words with the driver as I passed. Hard to get a good look at the whole thing to see what caused it to flip over there as it was a narrow spot where it occured.

On the works them selves they seem to be full-on with the mainline works here now. Very mucky and messy this am trying to shift muck around in a tight workarea. All the plastic drainage pipes are onsite now for this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

As I was heading south on the R132 towards Swords last night, I noticed new signs up directing traffic crossing the M1 to take a left onto what will be the turn-Left-to-Turn-Right bit, while swords-bound traffic will travel straight on. There were Blue signs for Balbriggan and a white sign with r132 in a yellow rectangle to mark the non-motorway route

Also coming back I noticed they use the red disc with a white horizontal bar instead of a crossed up arrow no entry sign. on the straight through section of the bridge

directional signs were on poles here
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/114188/217666.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

They where line painting today in the section linked above

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Also coming back I noticed they use the red disc with a white horizontal bar instead of a crossed up arrow no entry sign. on the straight through section of the bridge
    Good to see - that new No Entry sign design was introduced in 2010 but you still rarely see it.

They have laid the edge kerbing for the new enhanced sliproad from the Junction down to the mainline SB. They should be back here with tar in the next few days when the concrete cures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The new slip road is now open from the M1NB to the R132SB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

cargo wrote: »
    They have laid the edge kerbing for the new enhanced sliproad from the Junction down to the mainline SB. They should be back here with tar in the next few days when the concrete cures.

Yes, this can be seen through Cam #113:

Site0Camera113.jpg
    (Note: This image is self-refreshing!)

I looks as if a) the slip will be very wide at the point of merge (tiger tail ghost islands (for double lane merges) usually start at the point of merge or after), or b) the slip will be lengthened out a little - will be interesting to see how things shape up there.

Regards!

PS. It appears that the links on the DCC website has been changed (the image above is old) - I can't view image properties on the DCC site ATM, so I'll have to try and rectify the problem later.

• Advertisement

The plans show a tiger tail (traffic ghost island) to go in here, the existing hearse road to M1S will become the driving lane while there will be another slip left of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Updated images from new urls:

site16Camera111.jpg

site16Camera112.jpg

site16Camera113.jpg

The plans show a tiger tail (traffic ghost island) to go in here, the existing hearse road to M1S will become the driving lane while there will be another slip left of this

They have this slip almost ready for tar now. They are compacting the final layer of filling on it this am.

Very slow progress on the mainline works now. Only one tracked machine clearing away the last of the muck between the bridges now. Although they were removing / shredding the last small section of the median bushes this am as I passed.

I've had a good look at the M1 widening works today and can confirm the following:

1) The through-pass (for the R132 Southbound) on the Lissenhall South Roundabout is open with 2 lanes (will be 3 lanes as per the plans) - traffic turning from the R132 Southbound / Hearse Road to the M1 Northbound is still using the South Roundabout, but as a left to go right loop (at grade) - this will be made permanent (as per the plans) with some realignment works;

2) The left slip from the M1 Northbound off-ramp to R132 Southbound is open - it's very tight upon entry but I guess it's not finished yet;

3) The cycle path from under the Northbound off-ramp towards the R132 Southbound is taking shape;

4) The extension (widening) to the M1 Southbound on-ramp has tar down (don't know if it's the wearing course) - this slip is now very wide - more than two lanes it seems for much of it's length - it might be to facilitate the acceleration lane for the slip coming off Hearse Road;

5) The original alignment for the M1 Northbound on-ramp seems nearly ready for traffic - just a little bit of surfacing to be done it seemed;

6) Not much change on the mainline (NB or SB), but excavations are well underway North of the Broadmeadow Bridge - some replacement lighting (in the median) is being installed in the vicinity of the Broadmeadow Bridge.

The slip from the M1 Southbound (correction) off-ramp to the R132 Southbound is not open yet.

Regards!

The slip from the M1 Northbound off-ramp to the R132 Southbound is not open yet.

The slip has been open since last Wednesday / Thursday, I have used it on a number of occasions.

celticbest wrote: »
    The slip has been open since last Wednesday / Thursday, I have used it on a number of occasions.

Sorry mate :o, there's a mix-up in my last post - I should have said 'M1 Southbound off-ramp to R132 Southbound' - that's the right filter slip going through the North Roundabout - I'm very sure that's not open - the one I misquoted is - thanks for letting me know!

Regards!

PS. I've corrected my last post.

site16Camera112.jpghttp://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/site16Camera112.jpg
    'Image should auto refresh'

Looks like works have been completed on the centre median along this section, I'd say we could see lanes 2 & 3 getting a new finishing layer over the next few days along with a lane switch to allow for services installion alongside lane 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There does not appear to be any drainage at the centre of this road. Now I appreciate that the road is cambered to drain at the side, but for unusual conditions (slush, flood, even roadworks) might installing a drain at the concrete barrier not been a reasonable step in such works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

ardmacha wrote: »
    There does not appear to be any drainage at the centre of this road. Now I appreciate that the road is cambered to drain at the side, but for unusual conditions (slush, flood, even roadworks) might installing a drain at the concrete barrier not been a reasonable step in such works?

I would be slightly concerned about this aswell. The centre has flooded on a couple of different occasions and another layer of tarmac is not going to solve that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

sgarvan wrote: »
    I would be slightly concerned about this aswell. The centre has flooded on a couple of different occasions and another layer of tarmac is not going to solve that.
    The camber should take care of this.

• Advertisement

There was ponding at the median on the NB section south of the bridge at the recycling centre yesterday morning.

Here

spacetweek wrote: »
    The camber should take care of this.

I really hope so, because some amount of water lodging there at the moment. Just dont want to be coming home from work one evening to see this in the 3rd lane when it is complete

Big clearance works in the past 2 days on the remaining mainline section. Everything is cleared up / removed now (tiny bit left this am but they were working on it early).

There was already a section of filling down NB yesterday evening as I passed between the bridges. Seemed to be quite deep compared to how far they dug out before but it was rolled and compacted by that stage already. Hopefully they stay going at this rate now and get the last few bits wrapped up before the dark am/pm's start drawing in and traffic really builds up along here.

site16Camera111.jpg

Why are they filling the centre median with clay? It cant be maintained easily in the future.
    I know it is cheaper to put the clay here rather than dumping it elsewhere.

sgarvan wrote: »

Why are they filling the centre median with clay? It cant be maintained easily in the future.
    I know it is cheaper to put the clay here rather than dumping it elsewhere.

It was pointed out in the thread earlier that hte 2 phases of this upgrade have had a different finish inbetween the median walls. The first section done was topped with a fine stone and some planting at the edges. The second section they are working on now is as you say a clay finish and will be much harder to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The second section they are working on now is as you say a clay finish and will be much harder to maintain.
    I very mush doubt that this is the finished product.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I very mush doubt that this is the finished product.

The first scheme had the median filled to about 200mm below the Jersey barriers and planted with camelias and mulched with stone.

The current scheme has the earth filled to the brim op the median, it definitely looks like the finish is going to be different.

Any sign of any more work on the M1 on ramp? They were moving / removing the temp steel barriers last Friday night near the end of it (where it joins the mainline) so I thought they were getting set to lay it over the weekend but I don't think they have yet. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Any sign of any more work on the M1 on ramp? They were moving / removing the temp steel barriers last Friday night near the end of it (where it joins the mainline) so I thought they were getting set to lay it over the weekend but I don't think they have yet. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Still doesn't look near open, looks like there's a bit of work to be done at the end of the ramp, it seems to end very abruptly at the moment.

site16Camera113.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea what the holes being dug in the centre median are for?

site16Camera112.jpg

Advertisement